Story [Star Trek-AU] Limitless Horizons (Jim/OC) Posted: April 12!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Nyota's Heart, Mar 9, 2014.

Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
  1. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    By Nyota's Heart Disclaimer: Borrowing with affection.

Characters: Jim and Elivina Bainbridge--my OC, a spin-off of Mira's "Hundred Different Stars." :cool:

~~~~~~~

She is cool, calm, and collected. Her blue-grey eyes are measuring and professionally a blend of warm interest but not brash or overly forthright. As a counselor, she assesses and provides compassion and insight. She can be outspoken but she usually holds this part of her nature back until rapprochement is established. Elivina has a hard time balancing the messages she wants to convey: the actual boundaries between client, colleague, and friend. It is something she is getting better at, but still can struggle with.

She expects James Kirk to be a little arrogant, a whole lot flirtatious. What she finds is someone with a sense of humor, adeep foundation of honesty and loyalty and secret vulnerability. She offers him a smile of greeting.

For his part, Jim doesn't know what to make of her. Her golden-red tresses are well-arranged, and her eyes sparkling and candid. Her voice is a little husky but still feminine. He wants to let the record show in no uncertain terms that he is not going to welcome any kind of covert or overt 'analyzing.' Pure business, that's all he wants. Strictly colleagues. Nothing more, nor less.

++++++++
    Last edited by Nyota's Heart, Apr 12, 2014
  2. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Very interesting first impressions! I can't wait to see where it goes between them :D
    Nyota's Heart likes this.
  3. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    And so it begins!! I am so excited to see this one up and running. [face_dancing][face_love]

Wonderful first impressions here - I am already really liking your Elivina, and I can't wait to get to know her better. :p Jim's determination is adorable - I can only imagine his discomfort at being around someone who can 'analyze' him. But, I am looking forward to him meeting his match in smarts and wits! I can't wait to see how they progress. :)

=D=[:D]
  4. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    Hmm, a strong and independent woman;) and a redhead
  5. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
  6. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    This week's prompt: "Sunrise, Sunset"

Went the metaphoric route.

~~~~~
    Elivina peruses the crew dossiers and smiles when she comes across the CO's. She wondered when he was at the dawn of his career, what aspirations and expectations he held, and which if any of these had been fulfilled. Had it surpassed or fallen far short? Did the travails outweigh the triumphs?

She thiks wryly (even on so short and purely professional acquaintance) that there were those who thought he had come to the sunset of his illustriousness and 'making a difference.' Far from it, he had just barely scraped 'noontide.'

She could not deny that she was fascinated by him personally as well. She guessed that his love-then-leave reputation was strictly an exaggeration; most, if not all of those things, were by their very nature.

However, when she and he found themselves on the observation deck after shift, as they both enjoyed the swirls and patterns of warp, she worked up the nerve to ask if he wouldn't mind sharing a picnic in the arboretum.

"Sure, as long as you put aside your counselor hat." He answered with a wink and a pleased sparkle.

Elivina laughs. "Hey, just like the medics, I'm just 'me' until there's a reason to intervene professionally."

"Then, I'll be on my best behavior."

"From what I hear, that's pretty remarkable in any capacity."

"Hey," Him replies, "I won't deny it. Can I call you Elivina when we're off-duty?"

"That or 'Vina." She responds.

"I'll look forward to it, Elivina." Jim remarks, resolving to find out what her favorite flavor of chocolates and color of flowers were.

It never hurt a thing to be chivalrous and what lady could resist chocolate?

+++++

Not the author certainly.

@Mira_Jade @earlybird-obi-wan )________ @NYCitygurl
  7. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    A very sweet and funny piece with Elvina's thoughts about carreers and Jim inviting her.

Btw I can resist chocolate (allergic reactions)
  8. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Thanks for the reveiw and :eek: :( over the chocolate. ;)
  9. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    Aha! I am here. :oops:

I like her being the one to ask him for a bit more first. Her observations were very spot on for the shortness of their knowing each other - though, that just may be part of her profession. :p There is a soft empathy that comes through for Elivina so far, and I am enjoying getting to know her. [face_love]

I am looking forward to the picnic. :D [face_love]=D=

[:D]
  10. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    That is also how I perceived her insightfulness - being a part of her nature augmented by her profession. :)
  11. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    During their first evening together, they shared a lot. He of trying to measure up to an absent hero-father & she having to battle resentment of a father who had left their family inexplicably and then turned up years later seeking to make amends.

Elivina's eyes smoldered as she concluded: "I thought it was quite the impertinent and boldfaced assumption back then: I can just waltz back in and make a pretty speech and everything will be sweet and golden." She rolled her eyes. "Not going to happen. Mum was having none of it, and neither did I."

Jim observed: "Guess that colored your perceptions of romance ...?"

Elivina smirked. "Now who's playing counselor? Seriously, though, it did for quite the while. But frankly, I've been so involved in my career romance has taken a back seat. I haven't thought much of having a family, really. Never had the 'typical' or, at least, common, feminine stirrings."

Jim frowned as he contemplated her.

"And I've heard plenty of your explots. Doubtless they've been exaggerated?" She grinned. "The rumor mill being what it is."

"I had one or two more or les committed relationships." He answered. "Wrong place, wrong time, though. When they ended, I felt regrets, naturally, but they passed eventually. Didn't leave a permanent wound."

She studied him closely. She had the feeling he was neither minimizing or denying anything: the past relationships, however, close they'd been, hadn't been the essential soul-defining thing they might have been.

"Guess you've never seen a soul-defining relationship." She mused aloud.

His smile was warm and vibrant. "Not for myself, but for some close friends of mine."

He briefly outlined the details, not giving away any confidences, of course.

By the story's end, she was moved and a bit starry-eyed.

"Sweet!" Was Elivina's reaction as she looked at her chrono.

They'd whiled away more time than she'd realized. And shared quite a bit. It had felt very comfortable doing so.

For a not-date, it had gone over quite well, was Jim's conclusion. She had smiled at his gift of blooms and chocolates.

Should he push for another such evening, or just let things happen as they would?

Better the latter, he decided, and as they said their good-nights, Elivina felt a momentary pang of "Why didn't he say anything about doing this again?" With an inner shrug, she figured it was a one-time thing.

++++++++

LOL

@Mira_Jade ________ @earlybird-obi-wan
  12. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    I loved the getting-to-know-you feeling of this one. These two are building a wonderful friendship so far - which will be quite the foundation of anything more to come. I was great seeing them open up to each other here, and I enjoyed getting to know more about Elivina, at that. Both she and Kirk haven't had the right 'snare' to draw them into a soul-deep bond yet, and have lived through their careers as a result . . . yes, I think that they will mesh seamlessly in the time to come. [face_love]

I loved that she already wanted a little something more at the end - the same for Jim! You captured the wonderfully tentative-feelings perfectly. =D=[face_love]

13. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    a one thing and a not-date? they should meet more
  14. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Thanks & tags for: @earlybird-obi-wan _______ @Mira_Jade _______ NYCitygurl

As time went on, to their initial amusement, Jim and Elivina settled into a routine so that he wouldn't be pestered and flirted with by women he found boring and/or unattractive. She would be his companion for any official function to dance with, etc. It worked splendidly.

He found himself confiding in her about his often problematic relationship with Winona and her family. It had smoothed out in recent years to a great extent, but he still felt like he had to measure up to some nebulous, unattainable ideal.

Elivina proved herself to be a compassionate listener. She didn't 'psychologize' or anything. She was truly what was needed at such times, a friend.

They started sharing off-time during R&R leave, since they liked live stage performances. She had teased by saying she didn't know he could go for such things.

"I can be cultured when I want to be." He had remarked.

Their friendship continued to blossom and gradually transformed into something neither had expected: a romantic interest and affection. But, since neither of them were the kind to step back from a challenge, they dove in with enthusiasm. It was what both of them loved about star-travel: a vista with limitless horizons. The sweetest adventure of them all, as it turned out.

Fini

~~~!
  15. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9

For a not-date, it had gone over quite well,

Non-date, suuuuuure :p I love how they keep it casual and then start really dating -- friends first is so sweet [face_love]
  16. earlybird-obi-wan Force Ghost

star 6
    Star-travel in more ways is sure sweet and nice. Seeing Stars in shows and real stars in travel[face_dancing]
  17. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    The sweetest adventure of them all. Love it. [face_love]

Thanks for this wonderful, soft and warm look at Jim and Elivina's beginning. I enjoyed every word of it. [face_love]=D=

Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl