main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek, AU] The Other Half Of Me. S/U--Romance. Completed: March 4!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Dec 30, 2013.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Title: Other Half of Me By Nyota's Heart

Characters: S/U

Genre: AU - Romance

Disclaimer: Borrowing the characters with love. Spinning off a beautifully unique plot of Mira_Jade --

Summary: Paths diverge at one point but come together again. [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

~~~~~~~
    I have to record my first indelible impressions.
    Nyota Uhura was beautiful. There was no getting around that fact.

Her questions and observations were insightful and showed she had an agile intelligence.

Her voice was musical, as I had reason to attest as she came up to ask a follow-up question.

Her smile was courteous and her poise admirable.

I invited her to come and speak with me on related subjects to her field of study.

She gratefully accepted.

During these conversations, our talks would wander off the one that had brought her to my office originally. Neither of us minded this, although I did find it very interesting indeed.

We had many things in common: poetry, music, the literary and fine arts.

It was during the third such visit that she showed me holos of her family.

It was on the fifth such occasion that she shyly gave the privilege of using her given name.

Nyota ... A name which aptly expresses her attractiveness.

++++++
    TBC...

RX_Sith likes this.
  2. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Gah, they are starting!! [face_dancing][face_love]

I am so excited about these - so very excited!! [face_dancing] :D It is going to be so much fun to see Spock's side of things in this 'verse, and I look forward to seeing your unique POV on these events. Here was a great place to start - the beginning. You captured a wonderfully soft feel here that was just beautiful to read. I especially loved the last line. Fitting indeed! [face_love] =D=

I cannot wait for more, and that is a fact! [:D]

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  3. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Great title, great start as always as Spock and Nyota get acquainted and more.

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Aww, so sweet! I love her giving him permission to use her name [face_love]

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks so much to

NYCitygurl ---

RX_Sith ----------

Mira_Jade

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nyota was in a booth with a group of her friends, enjoying a large pizza with pepperoni & mushrooms & an exorbitant amount of cheese.

I paused to greet them and she gave me a wink and asked if I wanted a slice.

I declined and moved on to my table.

Ms. Leigh Somers was waiting there with Derek Weston. We ordered light appetizers and had a brief consultation.

I tried not to be obvious and glance towards Nyota's table whenever I heard her musical laughter.

During one of our private talks, I ordered in pizza. Her half had loads of pepperoni, grilled onions, mushrooms, sausage, & cheese.

Mine was loaded with vegetables & basil tomato sauce and not as much cheese.

She grinned when she saw it.

"Thanks! Mmm!" She said, taking a large bite. The cheese stretched, as Motzarella will.

She smiled some more. "There is no dignified way to deal with the cheese." She apologized.

"I do not mind." I answered, raising an amused brow and passing her extra napkins.

As I did, our hands touched, and something sparked. Not just in our glance but mentally as well.
    Her eyes widened, and she smiled very warmly.

I withdrew from the contact, but I could still feel her at the periphery of my awareness.

I discovered I was fascinated by the fact it appeared that a nascent bond was forming between us.

++++

Can I SQUEE? Yes. I can.

[face_love]

RX_Sith likes this.
  6. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    The love sparks get busy with their first touch of love.

7. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    So, I seriously had an 'awww' moment reading this one. What a great moment showing their developing bond - which really just deserves a squee of its own. :p [face_love]

[:D]

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks so much for reading:

Mira_Jade RX_Sith

-----------

Note: A contrast of mammoth proportions.[face_thinking]

~~~~~~

Feeling her becoming more entwined was so natural. Melding with Nyota was a seamless experience, gentle and welcoming.

She became indispensable to my daily routines: working & then enjoying leisure together. We provided support & warmth & affection to one another, as we had as friends, but more profoundly.

Her essence was a lovely thing: vibrant, joyous, & endlessly loving.

I could not imagine a life apart from her.
    It was difficult to recall the one I had had beforehand as well.
    We enriched one another in innumerable ways.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Then everything changed.

We cannot always choose our life paths; we merely have to make do with what comes.

I told her this as I met with her the final time after deciding to forgo my own - our desires and deepest longings.

"Are you sure this is what you want?" She asked lowly, tears standing in her expressive eyes.

"It is decidedly not. The good of many outweighs personal preferences. This is a dire situation." I pointed out the obvious.

She braced herself against the severing to come.
    "All right. Let's get this over with." Her voice was choked.

I hesitated before initiating. This was the polar opposite of the meld that had forged our bond. Then, neither of us had held back. This would be irrevocable.

As each facet of our connection disengaged, it was like watching the Two Trees dim and fade.
    I gently & regretfully closed off the psi link pathways between us, watching as her eyes became grieved in the wake of my progress.

I felt an ache of guilt that I had subjected her to this pain, one from which I hoped she would move on ... eventually, given time. As for the guilt, I never lost it completely. (Later circumstances would bring it back a thousandfold.)

++++

TBC ...

Ow!!!!! :_|

RX_Sith likes this.
  9. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Ouch! Reading that was like a punch to the gut! :( Just . . . tangibly awful and painful. But, you did a great job conveying just how much the guilt and severance here had to hurt. The darkening of the Trees' indeed! :(

But, I am looking forward to seeing them meet again. :)

=D=

10. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    A logical choice but definitely not a loving one.

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks for the great reviews.

~~~~~~

A Progression of Choices

Strange how once the first major hurdle is surmounted, somehow the later choices become - if not easier - at least somewhat not as arduous.

T'Rin -- a brilliant and compassionate scientist. Our minds and life goals were compatible. If I did not feel the level of ease in her company as I had previously with Nyota - I did not expect to, and thankfully, I did not feel any discomfiture or disharmony, either.

She never raised a complaint that there was a barrier, or that I was making comparisons between herself and anyone I was in a relationship with beforehand.

Such comparisons would have been futile and unfair.

The tapestry of her mind was a quiet sun-dappled place, whereas Nyota's had been sweeping and open, with brightness and warmth everywhere.

As time passed, our careers and family life took on a comfortable pattern.

We did not know the soaring passion and intense rises and falls of connectedness, but we did not go out of our way either to form a barrier.

It was a mutual decision to dissolve our bond once it had served its purposes, and we could devote ourselves to our careers in greater depth and more freedom.

Our parental ties were strong, but they tied us to our son, rather than to one another.

When I received a request to render assistance in a mind-healing capacity, it stirred my curiosity and a strong desire to provide a final balm and relief.

Little did I know that like the convoluted path that finally brought Aragorn to his Lady of Rivendell, I also, was about to reacquaint myself with the one who was my true and only destiny.

+++++

Happy wriggles! [face_dancing]

RX_Sith & Mira_Jade

RX_Sith likes this.
  12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    There definitely is no dignified way to eat pizza :p

I loved/hated the next post--loved because it was beautifully written and hated because they said goodbye! [face_crying]

13. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Ah, but it is coming full circle now!! :D It was very interesting seeing his relationship with T'Rin, but, as they say - the best is yet to come. I can't wait for the next part. [face_dancing][face_love]

[:D]]

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks and LOL

Couldn't resist. [face_love] Now all caught up with this post. [face_batting]

~~~~~~~

As If...

"Nyota."

How easily and naturally the speaking of her name was. It was as if it were yesterday that I had spoken it last.

And yet, I was painfully aware it was much, much longer than that, and emotionally, an unfathomable abyss.

She was still strikingly lovely, and her eyes held a fortitude and courage that stirred my admiration.

I found myself wanting to reach across to her, but the inability to do so only drove the point that everything was different.

As her story unfolded, my sense of accountability increased. I did not get the sense that she held me to blame for any of it, even indirectly.

When I initiated the focused meld, her mind spread before me like the ravages after a fierce battle, but still I could feel her innate resilience and she did not shy away from me, as I had thought she might.

This interloper ... I sealed him off with authority & with more than a modicum of protective ire.

"I felt all those things." She admitted after. "But I was able to move onwards. I found satisfaction and no few pleasures in work, family, and friends." She strove to meet my gaze valiantly.

Somehow, I got the sense that neither one of us had moved on as much as we had convinced ourselves.

Our supper together and watching the fireflies and the musicians was less fraught with discomfiture than I might have thought or anticipated.
    A great measure of this was due to Saerk's curiosity and conversational gambits, but I could feel that there was a lessened tension brought on by the initial release Nyota was experiencing from her antagonist.

The dance in the unique locale with the setting sun stirred many memories. Holding her again - even in this public venue, and even not as intimately as I had been accustomed to -- she felt like she belonged in my grasp.
    I did not have the right to ask or expect her to want that, but I knew that when I left this world behind, I could and would not deny that she had a permanent hold and entitlement to the deepest, most vital part of me.

Then the vicious attack came. We were swept up in the aftermath of those events and the necessary urgency of handling the crisis.

It struck me at the moment and even moreso later how easily and unhesitatingly she and I had been able to speak nonverbally. Was it just a facet of the critical need, or would it carry over to later? Was our connection reestablishing itself, after all, despite anything I had ever believed on the matter?

And if it was, was that something she would desire?

I only knew that I did.

++++

Buya!

RX_Sith - 2 posts. Can't wait to post-itis again. :D

Mira_Jade - my eternal muse. ^:)^

RX_Sith likes this.
  15. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Ahhh can't wait until the next one! I know she feels the same!

16. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, I loved this glimpse into his thoughts so very much. Soft and lovely and perfect - especially the dance and the last few lines in conclusion. [face_love]

Now, to get that next post up, so we can have more of this! ;) I'll have a new post coming over the next few days - I am on a roll with this story and just have to polish it up. [face_love]

=D=[:D]

17. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Some interesting developments as Spock wonders if Nyota is his destiny or density.

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Note: Stuff in italics are borrowed from "Hundred Stars" :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I settled Saerk into restful slumber, and then apprised Nyota of the tentative plans. (These were such out of necessity, due to the time constraints & the need to hurriedly dispose of the possibility of further attacks.)

I felt her affection & protectiveness towards Saerk; it was, as such things always were with her, deep and full of a compassionate tenderness.

I could feel the conflict within her: she wanted to go along; but she knew what the situation demanded.

When she offered to stay with Saerk, it was borne out of her wanting to contribute to our success and his safety in this fashion.

In all our years apart, I reflected, I had found none to equal her level of unselfish warmth.

Something else that had not changed in the interval was how easy it was to unburden myself to her.
    I avowed with regret:
    “I should not have brought him. It was selfish of me, and yet, I had not thought events to escalate to this point. An error, on my part.” A human error, made with human emotions...

“Is that you second guessing yourself I hear?” she teased softly, leaning closer.

She clenched her hands in her lap, and I could tell she was fighting not to reach out to provide physical solace.

I raised a brow and confided very softly:
    “I find myself second guessing my actions often when around you. Always have I seemed to do so, ever since when first we met.”

She smiled softly in memory.

I gave her a soft look, compounded of so many things, then hesitantly reached over to her, but did no more than to rest fingertips against her scar, gently touching the high curve of her cheek.
    Her skin was soft, and she did not pull away.

I rruefully added:
    “Then again, I am not wholly Vulcan, as well you know. And perhaps such second guessing is to be expected.”

I felt a rush of happy emotion from her, eager and welcoming, mixed with her natural trepidation, and she leaned to close the distance between us ...

The door opened, breaking our tableau.

Both of us felt instant irritation and frustration at the lost moment.

"Give her a choice."

The words settled in my mind and heart.

She never had truly had one before; she had no reason to trust after our turbulent end.
    Given the chance to, she would at least welcome a friendship. Anything more I dared not hope for, not at this juncture.
    But that would be a starting point.
    Our continued melds would forge and heal a great deal. It was a kind of restitution.
    It was fortunate that circumstances now were vastly different, and even if they had not been, not for anything would I bring her a like pain again.

+++++++

Mira_Jade =D= :)

& RX_Sith :D

RX_Sith likes this.
  19. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    This just made all sorts of warm and fuzzy emotions bloom and settle in my stomach. I loved seeing Spock's POV on this - it was just absolutely lovely, and . . . yep. I need to get the next part up soon, because this is just stealing my heart right now. [face_love]

Beautifully done, as always! [:D]

20. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Excellent choices by both of them to trust their true feelings for each other.

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I like it! Particularly the "give her a choice" line :D And her affection for Sarek is so sweet!

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks for the great reviews.

-------

RX_Sith Mira_Jade

~~~~

Yumsy!

~~~~~~

I feel dark apprehension nipping at my heels; no less for Nyota's well-being than for Saerk's. When she tells me he is merely resting, and that he fought bravely, something within lightens and loosens.

I take a seat beside her and she tentatively asks about T'Rin.

I assure gently: "You do not overstep boundaries, Nyota. None have ever existed where you are concerned, on the basis of friendship alone, if naught else."

Her eyes gleam in gratitude.

I speak of my time with T'Rin: how she lost her life-partner, bound in affection as well as by formal contract.
    We had had an affinity of similar circumstances.

"She felt an echo of you." I told Nyota, and something in her expression flares at hearing that such had never vanished or faded to ashes, but had remained softly glowing, like embers awaiting a rekindling.

"She took the latest assignment on Carax II, and I believe she will find a permanent closure and sense of purpose at last. She knows that she was not able to provide emotional fulfillment to me."

There was only one who could, and I have found her again, when I little dared hope I would.

Our eyes hold, and she welcomes me with her eyes as she did long ago to be and to feel all I can. I reciprocate by releasing myself to her warmth and happiness.

She reaches to clasp my hand and I grasp back, firmly.

Yet, this momentary equanimity is shattered with the plan we must take up to remove the imminent threat to the Ennorians.

L'iost is an unknown variable, fractious and untamed.

I do not question Nyota's courage or strength of resolve, but it is her safety and consequent mental and literal survival that threatens to stop my heart and freeze my blood in dread.

She is the one. The one I desire, that is essential.

I cannot and will not sacrifice for the good of others, again.

It is the definition of insanity to repeat a self-harming action and expect different results.

Despite Jim's determination, I cannot help but wonder if I have stepped off a precipice into madness.

+++++++

[face_nail_biting]

Mira_Jade likes this.
  23. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I need to take a moment and just smile dumbly at the screen here. This was such an excellent, beautiful dip into Spock's mind. I especially loved the line about not sacrificing for duty again - I do believe that I need to steal that for the next chapter. Which you will love. I can't wait to post it. [face_love][face_dancing]

As always, I am enjoying these spin-offs more than words can say. Thank-you so much for sharing! [:D]=D=

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    RX_Sith & Mira_Jade

[face_love]

Foot, this is awesomeness de-fined!

~~~~~~

We stand together against the psionic onslaught. Her fortitude and the texture of her memories - these are bright, golden as Laurelin's blossoms -- and they seem to revolve around her family at first and then around we two.

How enlightening and fascinating.

She is free -- of L'iost. Her mind is hers, again.

The Ennorians are also liberated from their vicious attackers.

When the threat is surmounted successfully, and we can sink into the grateful aftermath of relief for one another's safety I hear her wryly commenting to Saerk how 'illogical and reckless' he was.

But I know what drove and impelled his desire to help--not just the Ennorians - but Nyota. How essential she has become to him, it appears, in such a brief span of time.

/Nerf-herder - a Skywalker scion to the core./ She thinks, and I catch her thought.

I slide an arm around her and she leans against my shoulder.

We drift off to a restful, exhausted sleep, as Saerk curls between us, and my parting thought to her is:

/My Tinuviel. You kept your word./

/There was no option but to. Love is and was my surety through it all./ She answers gently. /The love I have newly formed for Saerk, and the love I have always, and ever felt for you./

++++++

Gooifies!

RX_Sith likes this.
  25. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    And cue all of the warm and happy feelings at once. This was the perfect coda to the last update - especially the last line. Perfect, I say. [face_love][face_love]

As always, I am thrilled and humbled that you enjoyed my story enough to find inspiration to write, and I thank-you for sharing! [face_love][:D]

=D=