main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek] Audrey's Search is Over (Jim/OC) New Poste: 11/22.

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Jul 16, 2017.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    by WNSA Genre: Mush & humor.

Disclaimer: Borrowing with affection.

Note: Audrey keeps a journal of reflections.

Figured as strong a role as Audrey has played in Ny's various chronicles, it was time for her to take center stage. :cool:

I don't know... maybe it has something to do with all the ups and downs Jim and I have gone through, and how I feel we're closer than we've ever been, and then adopting Skyler... makes me want to take a stroll down memory lane, trace the steps and choices that got Jim and I from first encounter to now. Nyota is all on board with the idea. She is an avid chronicler/diarist. I'll be getting my thoughts in order and putting stylus to paper soon.

+++++

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Love to see Audrey's POV

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Mira_Jade & @earlybird-obi-wan~~~~!!!

The Captain was competent and well-liked, great in a crisis. These things I heard from others and experienced firsthand. I also soon discovered he was very charming and had a wry sense of humor. when I first came aboard, I found out he was sort of more or less dating Christine Chapel.

"That's an equivocal kind of description?" I observed to Nyota.

She smiled. "That's because they're seeing each other and get along very well, but ... there aren't loud bells and shiny sparks. So they're seeing if those come in time or not."

"Hmmm. Sometimes they do, and sometimes they never do." I answered.

"So," I said after a beat, "If I were to indicate I was maybe interested, it wouldn't step on anyone's toes would it?"

"I'm not sure. I'd hate to say one way or the other."

I smiled in understanding. "Fair enough." I said, seeing as how she was friends to both of them.

As it turned out, though, Jim let me know he was interested in me.

He asked me to share third-meal or supper in the vernacular. I agreed and then had the discretion to ask how Christine would handle it.

"I'll talk to her based on how well it goes." He winked.

"Okay."

"No pressure, now, Audrey."

"Of course not." I laughed.

I have to admit I was looking forward to spending time with him off-shift.

+++++++

:)

4. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Audrey sure is different. Christine was flirtatious with more guys.

5. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I like seeing this from Audrey's POV! She's such a staple in your 'verse now that coming back to the beginning is refreshing! I'm eager to see where this one goes, shiny sparks and bells and all. ;) [face_love]=D=

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Mira_Jade & earlybird-obi-wan
    ~~~~~~!!!!!

Supper was a great thing, a culinary delight. It comprised all my favorite dishes and was capped off by my all-time favorite dessert, tiramisu.

The banter was light and full of an unexpected ease.

"Having a sibling isn't always an unmixed blessing." He confided. "My brother and I had a thorny relationship growing up, competitive and full of pig-headed stubborn."

"Let me guess who that was." I teased.

Jim pretended to be offended. "Hey, that's not fair, Audrey! But seriously, when we grew up, our relationship smoothed out and we became closer. I guess a lot of it was that we each had found our niche, the thing we most wanted in life and could be proud of the other's accomplishments in an uncluttered fashion."

I mused on this thoughtfully for a moment. "I enjoyed being an only child a lot of the time. But there were times when I entered adolescence particularly that I wished I had an older sister to confide in, to emulate. You know how it is. Your parents have sound advice and things to guide you, but at that age, you think you know everything!" I rolled my eyes.

"Oh, yes, I do know. I gave my mother no end of grief."

I looked at him in sympathy. "Having a Gundark for a step-dad I'm sure didn't make anything easier."

He smiled, grateful for my understanding.

"I did not expect to feel so comfortable." I admitted.

"Am I that off-putting?" He asked, with a twinkle.

"No," I hastened to assure. "It's just I thought the fact of our working together and how that might potentially cause a conflict of interest might put a damper on things, make for a bit of awkwardness. How to balance the two spheres, etc. I know we're just testing the waters, but still ... I really don't feel any kind of squick at all."

Jim laughed. "That's good to know! I feel that if we have respect and candor between us there should not be any need for hesitance or unease between us. You know how I am, almost honest to a fault."

I smiled. "Well, since we're both determined to keep things open and above-board, as we should, that's half the challenge right there." I grinned and reached for a second slice of tiramisu.

It never occurred to me what would/could happen if our personal relationship foundered. Not that I was overconfident or anything, but the rapport between us was strong enough it never seemed a plausible outcome at the time.

+++++++

:D

7. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Jim and his brother yes they were quite different

8. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Beautiful! I love how open and honest they already are with each other. Kirk's family life can be a bit of a touchy subject, I know, but with Audrey it's natural - even second hand to open up. I'd say the same is true for her. There repartee is beautiful to watch as it grows! [face_love][face_love]

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    earlybird-obi-wan & Mira_Jade -- this update has sweet disclosings.

~~~~!!!
    When I came down with the Azrian flu, Jim was very attentive. He sent me notes and a half-dozen roses from the hydroponics garden.

I asked: "Half a dozen?"

He grinned. "That's only half the surprise." He then produced a flaky apple tart. I took a bite of the sweet fruit with cinnamon and caramel strusel on top. It was delicious! Yes, Jim was getting to know me rather well. He knew I was a foodie first and foremost.

When I recovered, Jim told me he had worried about me even though the medics had assured him I would not develop the stronger strain, which adults sometimes did if they did not catch the milder version as a child. Once you got it in youth, you were very unlikely to catch it later.

I was touched.

Jim confided: "I had my share of casual relationships, Audrey. I cared for the ladies but none of them were on your level."

"Why, thanks!"

"I think I could fall for you, Audrey." He said after a pause.

"Oh, Jim." I said lowly. My heart did a happy flip-flop.

He gazed at me closely. "Is that by way of "That's nice but I don't feel the same way" or "Me too"?"

I laughed at his typical directness. "Definitely the latter." I answered.

+++++

10. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Falling in love YES for both[face_love]

11. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I loved this! What a sweet development of feelings - in more ways than one, you always know how to leave me hungry in these threads! ;) I loved Jim's frank and honest admittance of his feelings - and of course Audrey can't help but respond in kind. Lovely. [face_love]

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Using "A Dream is a Wish"

~~~!!!!

When I went away for what was then an unknown length of time, I did not pursue a romantic involvement. It never even crossed my mind.

When I returned and discovered that Jim had embarked on an exploratory "testing of waters" with Carole Marcus, I was astounded.

I voiced aloud the question as to whether I was that easy to forget.

"That's just it." He objected. "You weren't. But I had no idea if you'd ever come back and if you did, could things pick up where they left off."

I understood the sense in that line of thought, to be frank. But still, the thought that he could ponder such things in my absence with relative ease was something that gave me pause.

Was Jim leery of commitment? I certainly hoped not. I gave us a second chance, and it was not hard to do. Once the air was cleared between us, it was as if we'd never been apart.

Then he had the wonderful spontaneity to propose to me after that crisis involving Nyota and the Kimirians -- and to present me with his mother's ring on top of it!

I could not resist a bit of good-natured teasing before agreeing enthusiastically. "Only if you promise not to be all Correllian and try to do 100 impossible things before breakfast."

"Audrey... it's not like I go looking for trouble."

"Sure, I believe you." I had answered.

"Well?" He said after a pause.

"I'm thinking." I teased. Then I laughed. "Yes, I will, you nerfherder."

"Why, thank you, Your Worship." He exclaimed and crushed me close.

A dream is a wish your heart makes -- even if you don't expect it to come true. I'm happy to say mine have, superabundantly.

+++++++++++

13. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Jim sure had his ladies but Audrey is the one.
    Just like Luke and his ladies and Mara being the one for the nerfherder

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    earlybird-obi-wan & Mira_Jade
    "A Convoluted Conundrum"

The whole in-law thing was totally a new experience! Jim had growing up a fraught relationship with his Mom, mostly because she was caught in the middle with his step-dad. I too had had a difficult thing with my folks, because of the whole adolescent "My parents are stupid!" phase combined with the earlier trauma of my Dad leaving for a while. Even when he came back, trust took some rebuilding, although it was worth it. We eventually felt like a family again, but it did not happen overnight. So when Jim and I married, it was interesting. We both had histories with our folks, so in the back of our minds we were wondering how they would get along with the daughter/son-in-law?

Surprisingly well, as it turned out.

I guess it helps that you eventually "realize" your folks "got smart". Yeah, right. They were all along. I just had to grow up enough to appreciate it.

We set boundaries early on as to what we would and would not take advice on. We spent time with the extended family, but we as a couple had to take priority.

They say the first year of wedlock takes some adjusting, but with the right one, it's more an adventure than a chore/burden.

+++++

:D

Here's to all couple-istic "separations" being temporary ones. @};- @};- [:D]

15. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Great to see that from troubled families a loving and secure relation can grow among the children.