main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Star Trek Beyond

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    They should just give Karl Urban his own Sci-Fi movie, oh wait they did, it was brilliant and we need more like it!

2. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    You mean Dredd? Out of any film franchise, apart from Star Wars, Dredd is the one which demands a trilogy.

3. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Or at least a Sequel.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Dredd is so awesome I think it almost doesn't need a sequel. Yeah, that's right! Its too darn good!

Gorefiend likes this.
  5. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Would still really like to see one, even if it is just for the sake of Karl Urban getting to be in some kind of good movie again. [face_sigh]

AmySolo and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  6. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I really didn't like Dredd the first time I saw it, but I watched it again a few years back when it was on Netflix for a while. And then I watched it again, and I realized it's pretty damn good.

I feel bad now, because I've said some rude things about it in the past.

Gorefiend and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Y'know, I'm assuming the Enterprise gets toasted in the first 20 minutes to close out the 1st act, which is a bit of a change since the last 2 times it happened in Search for Spock and Generations it was what kicked off the third act. Quite frankly, we're due for the Enterprise destruction. It's been over 20 years and five movies since the last time it happened. We're due! And since it's the 3rd movie, if none of the castmembers bite it, might as well be the Enterprise herself.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm going to have to disagree there, even though I dislike the JJprise and the only way to replace it would be to either destroy it or have it go under a major overhaul.

But mostly I don't think we're ever "due" for an Enterprise destruction- that's not something that should have to happen periodically. It actually would have been more refreshing to have an Enterprise survive.

Plus, the time to destroy the Enterprise should have been in STID- if they didn't destroy it then, then they shouldn't do it in the next film. I mean, the ship was beaten to hell and back by the Vengeance and atmo entry- I'm surprised it was even salvageable. But you can't keep faking-out the ship's destruction and then actually do it and expect it to have meaning or impact.

Then again, I suppose that they are avoiding that by so casually destroying the ship early on so as to not make it be so momentous an event- just another Starfleet casualty.

9. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Eh. The trailer does nothing for me, but I just watched the 2009 film again today and really enjoyed it. I know it's not really true to the Trek series (all of which I enjoy to varying degrees), but I still thought it was a very good action sci-fi film. I love it for what it is. Into Darkness I liked well enough, but disliked the whole John Harrison misdirection. I think the plot would have been interesting enough had they just let him be John Harrison and just built a story around Section 31 and a conspiracy plot to start a war with the Klingons.

This trailer doesn't get me excited like Into Darkness', but I'll remain optimistic. Eh. When I heard the plot was going to take place on their five year journey, I was expecting a story that would see the shift visit several locations, kind of like how the Star Wars films hit several planets in each installment. Having them get stuck on some new planet was not expected, but it could be interesting.

In a franchise that was about exploration, we've pretty much just seen Qo'nos, Earth, Vulcan, and that's about it. There was that planet at the beginning of ST:ID, and then Delta Vega. That's pretty much just one explored planet.

10. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

JediKnight-Obi-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 13, 2000
    I'm so excited! I did that star trek omaze thing and I got my concept art piece yesterday which surprised me! They said they wouldn't release it until after the movie came out. It's a really nice piece too! A lot bigger than I was expecting. It's a pic of the USS Franklin signed by the whole bridge crew actors. The example pic they showed only had one autograph so I was surprised they were all there. It'll look awesome on my wall. I can post a pic of it later if anyone wants to see it. I just haven't had time to snap a picture of it.

BigAl6ft6 and The2ndQuest like this.
  11. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015

The primary value of 09 Trek is as an homage/tribute to Nimoy.

12. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003

I disagree. Star Trek had obviously been failing. Voyager ditched Kes in favor of the more sexy Seven of Nine, I'm in the process of watching Voyager and yeah, just the majority of the episodes of Season 5 seem to be centered around her so far. It went from a show about the various crew members trying to get home to more Borg action and how sexy Seven relates to the rest of the crew. Trek was already moving into the direction of action and sex appeal. Then Enterprise was by and large a failure. For the record, I like Enterprise. I like all the series, but Enterprise was definitely the weakest. Most of its episodes were based on ideas that had already been done - and better - in the other series. Then there's a 4 year gap of no Trek before the 09 movie, which was action, but so was Nemesis.

And after what will be 12 years without a Trek series on air, they finally green lit one due in 2017, on account of the Abrams' films success.

Posthumously, I can see Nimoy's presence in the 09 film in a better light, but that was never something I saw as its primary selling point.

I see the 09 Trek as successfully generating new interest in a franchise that had declined in ticket sales in Insurrection and Nemesis, and had seen declined interest in Voyager and Enterprise.

BigAl6ft6 and Darthmaul208 like this.
  13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    People lost interest in Trek because Voyager, Enterprise, Insurrection, and Nemesis were mediocre-to-bad. The answer was not to "reboot" the thing with old characters, shallowly copying old stories (actually it was the same one twice) and turning Trek into a boring, generic action sci-fi dystopia. They could have done a new series with new characters set however many years after the TNG era and as long as it was well-written fans would have come back. But no, Paramount just wanted to milk the IP for all it's worth at the box office.

And I think I said it earlier in this thread, but "sex appeal" with Seven of Nine was backward, misogynistc, dumb, and absolutely contrary to what Trek's utopian future is supposed to stand for-- that is, humans can move beyond bigotry and general paleolithic sensibilities. I dread the idiocy a Kurtzman-helmed series will bring.

Darthmaul208, Gorefiend and Sarge like this.
  14. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Do I have to post image of Uss franklin in spoiler tags you think? Its just concept art they could change it.

15. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    The picture of the USS Franklin is on the TrekCore site so I would think that if it's on there, then you can post it here with *Spoilers* tag.

16. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I like the look off that USS Franklin ship, even though
    it kinda sorta looks like the Enterprise NX-01

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  17. JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Jan 13, 2000
    Okay let me see if I can get the spoiler tags right.

[​IMG]

Darthmaul208 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Maybe it's the glare, but that is symmetrical, right?

Except Nemesis's suicide release date suggests they didn't care about the movie making any money.

Nemesis:
    [​IMG]

The Two Towers release date:
    [​IMG]

Paramount:
    [​IMG]

The fans:
    [​IMG]

19. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm not talking about Nemesis. I'm talking about the Abrams movies.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ah, I thought you meant the rapid releases of the film's and shows at the time.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    That is really amazing with the signatures. And I always liked

the NX-01 design so I'm happy for a throwback to it. Maybe it's a modded NX-01 that kept being refitted. Headcanon FTW.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If they were already upgrading NX-class ships with secondary hulls ~5 years after they were first launched, I doubt they'd remove it as an upgrade to keep it up to pace with ships built with secondary hulls from the start.

It reminds me more of another TOS-era ship in Prelude to Axanar.

23. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    How do they
    see over the saucer rim
    with the
    bridge window set in that concave section
    ?

24. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Are we really tagging spoilers about the look of a ***damned ship? It just looks like a Starfleet vessel. There's nothing special about it. This is like tagging photos of Vulcan ears.

Anyway, it doesn't look like the NX-01. It looks like the Akira.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You would have to spoiler tag the look of a new ship type if it was from an unofficial/unreleased source.

However, in this case, it's an image that was officially released (albeit in a limited manner) so it should be fair game.

That said, I'd agree the low labelled evoke an Akira- but since the NX-01 is based on the Akira, saying it looks similar isn't exactly inaccurate.