main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Star Trek Beyond

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, Dec 5, 2014.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's just disproportionate. I like the oversized engines but the secondary hull feels way too small, has the neck attach too far back so that the dish "stomach" juts out too far and the nacelle struts likewise come in too close to the neck.

It reminds me of a disproportionate, upside baseball cap frame you use to wash hats to help them keep their shape, just with a dish added on to make it look fat. Because the ship feels like it's just a sucker with a neck and nacelle struts as the rest of the body and they just happened to put some secondary hull features in around it.

[​IMG]

The saucer is ok- it has some strange angle and edges but it's an acceptable aesthetic. As other JJverse ships show, it's not the problem.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    We do also appear to see (briefly) an NX-01-looking ship in there too... ;)

BigAl6ft6 and Darthmaul208 like this.
  3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's also pretty small, going by the bridge window, which is fine. Actually kinda funny given how oversized they made the JJprise.

That smaller ship looks fine (no neck,strut or secondary hull issues to deal with).

4. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I liked the idea of the JJterprise, it was a throwback to the original series and the next generation as it kind of blended the two using the argument of "Scans from the future ship gave us insight to build a better Enterprise" type thing.

That being said it needs to burn now, it should have been destroyed in Darkness. The damage then suggested give Kirk a new ship and move on. It looks like this is going to be more explicit.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Absolutely, it shouldn't have survived STID. Especially if only to be destroyed in the opening in the next film, as appears to be the case here.

6. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    Somehow I don't think this will be anything like The Motion Picture,

Unless they have just copied a previous film....... again

7. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

could be like Undiscovered Country...

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's just for the fan event promo poster/evoking a retro poster for the anniversary. The actual theatrical poster is this:

[​IMG]

(Though that colorful swoosh does have a bit of that retro-Atari flare evoking the classic posters)

DaddlerTheDalek and Darthmaul208 like this.
  9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I will say that I like the side view of the Enterprise at warp. Effects are pretty much the only thing these movies have over the older stuff.

Darthmaul208, Sarge and GregMcP like this.
  10. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Surely they know fans will be thinking "You're blowing up the Enterprise again? It's worse than Star Wars and Death Stars."

11. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    There's always a way to blow it up!

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    That is an interesting warp drive effect; it actually looks like the warp drive is warping space.

But the uniforms are just awful. Cheese factor 9.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah that warp bubble effect is mighty interesting... though I'm curious how it aligns with the hyperspace-like effect from the last two films.

Then again, the last time there was any continuity with updated warp drive effects was in TNG: The Battle, so I suppose one can't be too picky about them.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  14. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

I liked how In Into Darkness Abrams had the warp Drive Crystalize effect after the ship hit warp drive, it is kind of like that!!!

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    What is Elba's second line? I can't make out the first word.

"(Shrunity) is not your strength- it is a weakness."

16. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm pretty sure it's Unity.

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Dug this trailer for a bunch of stuff. Mostly, I'm very jazzed about "away mission goes horribly wrong as our crew runs into a planet of jerks but team up with a plucky resistance" plot which is a goddamned bedrock staple of Star Trek episodes and has not really been used in the flicks. Also I'm just really excited to see an NX-01 design in the movie (basically it looks like an NX-01 but the warp nacelles are a tad different). Assuming this actually isn't the NX-01 Enterprise but of the same generation but the NX-01 is actually one of my favourite starship designs to get to see it in a big damn movie proper. Probably a ship that got downed by the baddies decades ago and Team Kirk has to fly it out. The Kirk's chair bit at the end was gold too. And even Spock flat-out saying Spock stuff like "Fear of death is illogical" which is totally stuff that Spock says.

Also this trailer wasn't very spoiler-y, basically just fleshes out the same beats as the first one, so I'm happy about that.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It is not an NX-01. It is of the same era, though, as the design similarities are clearly intentional. However, it is much, much smaller than the NX-01 (just look at the bridge viewscreen window for reference). It's more like a scout ship than a full blown starship.

I'd estimate that the ship is about 1/4-1/3 the size of an NX saucer (and I believe an NX saucer is roughly the size of the Defiant). It's bigger than the Captain's Yacht, however.

EDIT- Colorful international poster:

[​IMG]

19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I like that the new trailer didn't feature the Beastie Boys.

I wasn't a fan of the original series. I've only watched the original movies. So, Abrams reboot of the franchise doesn't bother me, nor the Star Wars like feel of the films. I'll be buying a ticket to Beyond when it hits theaters, but I'm hoping to score some free passes to see it on an outdoor IMax screen at SDCC.

20. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I guess Kingsman really launched Sofia Boutella. Next up: The Mummy, with Tom Cruise. Lol. The Mummy, with Tom Cruise. Sofia's the mummy.

jabberwalkie and Darthmaul208 like this.
  21. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005

She was amazing in Kingsman so I'm glad to see her getting more roles. It's just a shame that those two roles will see her under a lot of make-up.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  22. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    At least this time they are trying with the posters. Makes a change from the usual photoshop mess, studies produce.

The motorbike kinda dates thia film in a way the poster shouldn't. All the old posters don't have blatant modern era stuff. Not sure how I feel about it being in the film.

I know it won't be the NX-01 but it is killing me just how close it is.

I guess I'll be hung if I say, I'd like more Enterprise, either a film or a short tv series. Put it on Netflix for example.

Obviously not going to happen because of CBS [Netflix] and the new show but still. I'd love it.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not without precdent in the franchise ;).

[​IMG]

Darthmaul208, jabberwalkie and Sarge like this.
  24. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I love the 2. trailer and I like the posters so far.

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

2nd, we do not speak of that to outsiders. Or insiders. Or anyone, really.

The2ndQuest likes this.