main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Star Trek Beyond

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    The "Justin Lin action" is what's worrying me the most.

Sarge likes this.
  2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Hollywood Reporter: While Beyond won't unseat 1982's thrilling The Wrath of Khan as the gold standard for Star Trek movies, it's a highly entertaining entry guaranteed to give the franchise continuing life.

soitscometothis likes this.
  3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I'm surprised, but rather pleased, that these reviews are coming back so good. I've enjoyed the first two purely as entertainment (with zero prior knowledge regarding Trek), but know there were significant issues with the fanbase and the second film.

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

I loved Trek 09 and was very disappointed with Into Darkness from the reveal of Khan onwards.

I'm really hoping this is a rebound from STID and a course correction back onto the Trek 09 course, which it sounds like it is.

And can I say again that Urban is absolutely the best emulator of Deforest Kelly there could possibly be? He channels Deforest as McCoy so well.

5. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I loved both of Abrams Treks with all there Star Wars Homages and all, after All Abrams is A Fanboy of Star Wars! I am looking forward to seeing this hopefully on Saturday Evening, After The Movie I plan to eat at this really good Italian Restaurant in Port Charlotte Florida, Bella Napoli and I will Schmooze with this great Italian Waiter they have there named Francesco, he always tells me he is from Napoli but moved to Brooklyne he is a great guy and he has been real nice to my family, reminds me of an old uncle or grandfather from the old country. He calls my dad Papi and my mom Mommy! I will let you all know what I think of the movie either Saturday night or Sunday, we shall see:)

I love that It Is getting positive reviews!
    91% on Rotten Tomatoes!

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    glad to see reviews are good and a fairly common refrain is that it's a really good TOS episode, which is pretty much the vibe I got from the first trailer even though everyone was freaking out because it used "Sabotage".

Anyway, Pegg had some things to say about a character revelation but, this is the best part, canon and alternate timeline logic and how / what is changed

http://trekmovie.com/2016/07/11/simon-pegg-talks-sulu-george-takei-and-canon/

So why persist when George Takei wasn’t keen? The thinking behind embracing an existing character was that it felt as though it retroactively put right something that had long been wrong. By the time, we mentioned it to GT, the idea had taken shape, it felt good, interesting and worthy of thought and conversation. We were disappointed that George didn’t see it that way but, truth be told, Sulu Prime seemed to be missing a very important point. With galaxies of respect to the great man, this is not hisSulu. John Cho does not play a young George Takei, nor does he play the same character George Takei played in the original series. He is a different Sulu. This brings me to the second point of contention, Canon.
    With the Kelvin timeline, we are not entirely beholden to existing canon, this is an alternate reality and, as such is full of new and alternate possibilities. “BUT WAIT!” I hear you brilliant and beautiful super Trekkies cry, “Canon tells us, Hikaru Sulu was born before the Kelvin incident, so how could his fundamental humanity be altered? Well, the explanation comes down to something very Star Treky; theoretical, quantum physics and the less than simple fact that time is not linear. Sure, we experience time as a contiguous series of cascading events but perception and reality aren’t always the same thing. Spock’s incursion from the Prime Universe created a multidimensional reality shift. The rift in space/time created an entirely new reality in all directions, top to bottom, from the Big Bang to the end of everything. As such this reality was, is and always will be subtly different from the Prime Universe. I don’t believe for one second that Gene Roddenberry wouldn’t have loved the idea of an alternate reality (Mirror, Mirror anyone?). This means, and this is absolutely key, the Kelvin universe can evolve and change in ways that don’t necessarily have to follow the Prime Universe at any point in history, before or after the events of Star Trek ‘09, it can mutate and subvert, it is a playground for the new and the progressive and I know in my heart, that Gene Roddenberry would be proud of us for keeping his ideals alive. Infinite diversity in infinite combinations, this was his dream, that is our dream, it should be everybody’s.

So this is a "no duh" solution which I hadn't thought about but basically he's saying the Kevlin timeline is divergent not only from the point of Nero' incursion but even beforehand because time flows both ways (think the anti-time anomaly in "All Good Things..." how it got bigger backwards, kinda sorta). Which makes up for some pre-Kelvin Incident differences that seem to crop up here and there (to be fair, most if not all of those end up in the IDW comics. but if you've never read the Khan mini, which you damn well should, Pegg's theory does explain why Khan looks like Bennedict Cumberbatch - but, once again, just read the Khan mini, it works better.). Basically Nero and Spock created an entire tangent universe that follows the Prime timeline fairly on point but things can be different from both ways from the Kevlin. Now this may be seen as a cheat but, c'mon, this is a series that has Salt Vampires and Abraham Lincoln floating in space. Anyway, the point is how the Kelvin timeline works which is way, way, more important than Sulu being gay.

7. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    New trailer?! [face_hypnotized] This one isn't a rehash of much of the same material. This one has some new sequences in it.

8. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Into Darkness got good reviews as well, don't forget. I'm going on the assumption that the film will exceed my low expectations, but that's about it.

Darth Guy likes this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
  10. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Really? I've sat through it twice and totally failed to enjoy it both times.

Sarge likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm not saying individual people don't hate the movie but the numbers game pretty much supports it's way more well liked than the rap it gets via Internetting people.

Leoluca Randisi and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  12. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Count me among the fringe. Movie was a miss in my book.
    The Transformers movies made a lot of money. Doesn't mean that they were good and worth sequels to the franchise.

Sarge and Abadacus like this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah but the Transformers movies didn't get an 86% on Rotten Tomatoes either.

14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I still don't see why Rotten Tomatoes matters to anyone beyond, say, trying to decide which movie to see on a Friday night (which is really all it's meant for). Pick critics you like to help you argue a film's merits, not some very flawed and simplistic measure of their "consensus."

15. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

My honest take: I loved the movie when Khan was just Harrison. Once he became Khan and the movie tried to do an alt-TWOK, I hated it….except for the vfx and action(the fight in the city was pretty remarkable stuff). But story wise I just couldn't get onboard.

Darth Guy, I am amazed at the legitimacy RT and IMDB ratings are given.

16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    While I do agree that the pre-Khan reveal stuff is the best stuff in the movie (the opening scene of the planet with the wacky aliens chasing the crew is grand), I personally actually really like the alt-TWOK/Space Seed in the 2nd half because I think they get a legitimate pass in the alternate reality to get away with these "not quite how it happened" stories due to how the same events and groups of people in the Kelvin Timeline are generally fated to unfold in the almost-same manner. I want to see what Khan's story would be in the Kelvin Timeline because it going to happen anyway. It's kind of a big deal. And I think it's a nifty take on how a Shifty Admiral (Peter Weller, who always kind of rocks and I especially liked how he got to play a Shifty Admiral) tried to put Khan on a leash and it all goes terribly, terribly wrong for him because it's freakin' Khan. Also I like Kirk's story in this movie of "earning" the Enterprise where he has to go all out for his crew, and I love how Pine shows that Kirk is getting more frayed as the movie goes on. this is more of a Kirk movie while the previous one split more along Kirk and Spock but, like most if not all TOS eps, this one is about Captain Kirk and the decisions he has to make. And he does eventually die (in a TWOK line for line rip but it's flipped because timeline wackiness which I think is legitimately clever) yet he gets revived anyway, which is something that actually does happen remarkably frequently in Star Trek where characters literally die and get better. So that also gets a pass, if only because McCoy has that great line "are you feeling maniacal? Despotic?" "No more than usual." also? Zombie tribble!

While I think Nemesis is pretty shamelessly cribbing from TWOK in the third act, there isn't a story-related reason for Nemesis to just become TWOK. It just kinda does. There's a legit reason why Into Darkness goes Space Seed TWOK, which is a huge aspect of the alternate Trek reality. It kind of has too because it's a part of the fabric of the alt-universe.

Leoluca Randisi and PCCViking like this.
  17. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Rotten Tomatoes metric for that number isn't necessarily the best though. That means that roughly 8/10 reviewers gave it something better than a 6/10 basically. The metric is not indicative of quality.

18. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I rarely use RT for much of anything. Occasionally I will venture there and look up a movie for something. Same with IMDB. That site I use more if I have to look up tech specs or something similar.

19. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd disagree there- Nemesis may crib TWOk in broad strokes (main character dies, etc) but it never goes as far as directly replicating events or dialogue- and they're all motivated by the mirror connection between Shinzon and Picard, whereas the whole Kirk/Spock/Kahn thing in STID just sorta happens because it was supposed to, not because it was earned.

Sarge, ShaneP and jabberwalkie like this.
  20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I agree that Nemesis was better scripted, but it was clearly conceived pretty early on as "WoK with the TNG crew" and it suffers badly for it. And suffers for basically ignoring the television series (e.g., no one compares B-4 with Lore).

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No doubt- though "be like TWOK" isn't a conceptual problem unique to Nemesis. The "revenge villain" setup is done a few times- partially in TUC's finale and even more obviously with Nero to Spock in ST09. It's a crutch for Trek but probably because, while an easy setup, is usually serviceable even in it's worst incarnation.

And, yeah, the lack of Lore was one of the bigger missed pportunities there (since you could still introduce B4 and have an "evil/neutral/good" divide to contrast against Picard/Shinzon).

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Yeah, what I compare it to -- sort of along Guy's line -- is The Wrath of Khan meets Highlander: The Final Dimension... since The Final Dimension was essentially just a flat-remake of the original Highlander film with barely glossed-over new people.

23. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    A remake down to similar lines just flipped to the opposite characters.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Wait, are we still talking about Nemesis or STID?

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I was talking about Nemesis -- it was as terrible an idea as Highlander: The Final Dimension was (despite it having 1-2 cool scenes).