main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Star Trek Beyond

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I think Star Trek 09 is a legitimately great movie. It doesn't require any foreknowledge of the franchise to get into, it's fast paced, perfectly cast and just has a sense of wonder that an action movie doesn't really have these days. I also believe that despite its terrible script JJ Abrams made a well directed movie with Into Darkness. It has some very pretty imagery and, once again, it had fantastic performances.

The problem with these movies is that they're wearing the Star Trek license as a skin. It's clear from the first Star Trek movie JJ wasn't wanting to make a Star Trek movie, he wanted to make a Star Wars movie. Bless him, he's completely honest about this fact too. So I don't see the problem with anyone actually enjoying reboot Trek. They're well made movies and, in the case of the first one, well written on a character front.

Personally I'm looking forward to the new movie. I can't deny it's a bit disconcerting to see the trailers proudly boast that it's being brought to us from the director of Fast and Furious. However if it continues the trend of providing a solid sci-fi adventure then it's giving us something better than almost 99% of the hollywood drek out there these days.

That and I have a man crush on Idris Elba, but who doesn't?

2. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    If you get anything around an 80% or 90% or more on rotten tomatoes you are usually talking about a pretty good film, didn't TFA get like 93% or something like that? and TFA was an awesome film! there are exceptions,
    Movies

these two movies I loved, the critics a mix bag and I could surely come up with more examples. I tend to go with a few main papers, and reviewers, The Washington Post, The New York Times, The Hollywood Reporter, and Variety, those are really good ones to look at if they give your movie a good review count yourself lucky, you might have a good one on your hands...

ShaneP likes this.
  3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yes, TFA scored high on the tomatometer and I liked the film too.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  4. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    has anyone on here seen this in a sneak peek screening or anything like that, just wondering if there are any early fan reviews?

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Screenings start tonight in about an hour from now so word is gonna hit soon. Advance reviews have been positive though.

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Howard Stern was heaping praise on Chris Pine's performance in this film this morning. Really intrigued to see it, may even go this weekend.

7. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm going this weekend. Been to the other two NuTrek so owe this one a visit too.

8. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

I am seeing It Saturday Evening! With The parents then we are going out for Italian!

heels1785 likes this.
  9. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    I'm going to watch it tomorrow!

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm going to watch it when it's on HBO or something!

Sarge and Rylo Ken like this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Decided to catch a showing starting in a couple minutes. Normally I'd wait for Friday night to see it in a fuller theater but I wanted to see it in 3D and they oddly don't have any evening 3D showings tomorrow.

12. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I am off tomorrow and hope to see it 3D Imax at 10am.

13. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I thought about it and decided to go with the cheap thrill of "Lights Out" tomorrow if I can make it to the movies at all.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well... that was actually rather good. It blends the action of the reboot series with a more classical Trek story. Definitely the best of the Kelvin films.

It actually does try to tell a Sci-fi story with some timely social relevance (sequences near the start and end could easily be said to be commentary on some current political party goings-on), which I wasn't expecting this series to touch on/attempt (I don't really buy into the STID conspiracy theories that some might argue is a previous example). But it handles it organically and never loses sight of being a light action adventure.

The cast is good- Urban is the standout, of course, but Elba ends up being a decent villain (he starts off kinda generic but they add some depth to him by the end- I kinda wish we got more if that though). I'd put him in the ballpark of a less talky Soran-level mid-villain, but better than Nero. Jayla is a fun addition and they manage to avoid making her the typical genetic female combat badass (she's capable but outclassed by most of the villains).

The 3D is really good- lots of vistas, ship close ups and the dizzying Yorktown base are all standouts.The score is mostly the themes from the previous films but a new one kicks in during the start of the climax that really surprises you. And the tributes to the fallen cast and the legacy of the franchise are well done as well.

The only thing I didn't like was thing right at the end (DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT!)

[​IMG]

...but that could just be me. ;)

I'll edit or post in spoilers and Fleet Junkie deets in a bit after I get home.

EDIT- Ok, some ship & historical details

The USS Franklin is stated to be the first Warp 4-capable ship. Mixed with its size, this suggests it predates the Enterprise (which was the first Warp 5-capable ship), despite the registry being NX-326. That could make it a middle-step between the Intrepid-type and the NX-class in terms of design and the NX-Delta and NX-01 in terms of speed.

It's a little confusing because I think they mention the Franklin being lost in the 2160's and it's crew serving through the conclusion of the Romulan War. Soooo I think it may have been built earlier but served for a long time.

On the upside, they do show the Franklin crew wearing ENT-era uniforms (in fact, this film has more uniforms from more eras than any other).

(it's also amusing that they have Scotty point out that starships aren't really meant to fly in the atmosphere, given the STID underwater criticism).

Yorktown Base is huge. Easily the largest and most advanced structure we've ever seen Starfleet create.

It's also interesting that they almost set Spock up on a course for ending up where he did in TMP.

One minor thing I was slightly disappointed with was that I really liked the premise they were selling this film on with "the Frontier pushes back" but it turns out (slightly bigger spoiler warning) that it isn't "really" the Frontier, just someone who co-opted it for non-Frontier revenge.

15. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    If this is what I think it is...
    that the Enterprise A is essentially the same freaking JJ-prise and was disappointed that it wasn't a newer design, you are not alone.

Overall, I think it was a good movie. I thought every major character had an opportunity to shine. Scene stealer of the movie was definitely Urban. Characters felt much more personal and the conversations that they have between each other are probably some of the best in this timeline of movies.

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  16. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    one thing I am not liking is people using this opportunity to pick on Abrams to say how much they like Trek Beyond, The same thing happened to TFA people used it as a platform to pick on George Lucas instead of review the film. I don't think that is fair, George Lucas is one of the best film makers of all time for making, Directing, Producing two of the greatest movie series of all time, Star Wars, and Indiana Jones. and Abrams is a really good film maker I loved both his Trek Movies and I cant wait to see Trek Beyond!

has anyone heard the new Giacchino score, I t Is really good!!!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    I disagree. It's fair when you compare them as directors. There was noticeably (thank God) less lens flare in this movie. Beyond also had probably more, but definitely better, character development in it than Into Darkness. No matter how you try to polish it, Into Darkness was a good action film that wore the Star Trek brand but was a shadow of what the brand was and is, and not a whole lot more. For me the 09 film and Beyond are both good films, but JJ messed up with Into Darkness. Especially since overseeing the direction of the film is very much in the director's hands.

Justin Lin had some great vistas in this, and I think the camera work capture the character's emotion pretty well. If I had to put it simply to compare the two, Lin and Pegg (let's admit his involvement with script writing helped a hell of a lot) put a large emphasis on the characters in this film whereas in the previous two installments JJ's movies with Orci and co had a heavy emphasis on visuals. Nothing is really wrong with either approach, but I personally thought that this was probably the first movie in the new timeline that had the heart of the TOS era movies.

Also let's not kid ourselves, Lucas had some great ideas and so did Roddenberry, but neither always executed the well all the time. Examples: Prequel Trilogy and Strange Magic; Star Trek TMP and the first two seasons of TNG.

Of course, YMMV.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  18. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    It's out in England?
    Might have to get around to watching it then!

19. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Saw it this morning and absolutely loved it. Might now be my favorite Star Trek movie. It had the humor of the the OST, mostly the Spock/McCoy banter. Enjoyed all the characters, especially Jayla, who was very well fleshed out. Totally chuckled at the nod to the OST
    Scotty talks about what might/rumored to have happened regarding the disappearance of the Franklin and says something about being caught by a giant green hand, like in Who Mourns For Adonis.

I left this film smiling from ear to ear with delight and have hopefully talked daughter and son in law to seeing it with me tomorrow. :D :D

Also, this gets rid of the odd number films curse for Star Trek. Though maybe this series only changed it to even numbers are bad.

20. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Yeah I was going to say it's too soon to know until Trek 13. ;) But glad to hear from you and other Trek fans how good it is.

21. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Yup, NuTrek 4 will horrify!

22. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    what did you like better, Beyond or TFA, or heck lets put Super 8 into the mix? and this question is for anyone on here? who is the better Director to this point, Lin or Abrams? and I don't just mean trek this goes for other things they Directed and Produced? I love Abrams and think his Style Is very Steven Spielberg and Spielberg uses lots of Lens Flares as well;)

23. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Someone got kind of defensive there....

I like both TFA and Beyond for different reasons. They're both good films. They're both better than Super 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's mostly more of the same but, as I mention over earlier, the Yorktown attack has a really great track to it. Might be the best thing I've heard from Giacchino (whose work I usually find to be decent-to-good but rarely do I love).

EDIT- That may have come across to harsh. Upon a second viewing of the film, the arrival at Yorktown and the escape scene have some very good moments too.

Yeah, that's it.
    I think it was a terrible decision, even beyond my heavy dislike for the ship design itself. They really should have just left the story with the crew looking out into space as they give the "go back out there" exchange and give them time between films to design a new ship properly instead if rushing a new one to completion because it undermines the loss of the original ship if yoI know they can have a replacement by the end of the same movie.

I actually was kinda hoping they'd make the Franklin the TreKelvin analog to the HMS Bounty and let it be the smaller ship the crew starts the next movie off in before they get a new Enterprise.

Also, two other bits:

1) Snap Wexley gets his JJ-connected cameo role in this film.

2) The next film really needs to break away from the Earth threats. ST09 had Nero attack Earth near San Fran. STID has Kahn crash the Vengeance onto Earth in San Fran. And now Yorktown is effectively a stand-in for Earth with San Fran Federation architecture in a megalopolis (it's basically San Fran Starfleet combined with Babylon 5 with its neutral territory setting, etc).

This movie is Trek 13. But I can't blame you for miscounting. I try to pretend Insurrection doesn't exist too.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  25. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Dangit! Yep. I did. :p