main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Star Trek Beyond

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Having the whole crew say the oath at the end was a really nice touch.

2. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

Not sure if Wrath of Khan or Wreath of Khan...

[​IMG]

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Most sources seem to say V.

PCCViking and DaddlerTheDalek like this.
  4. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Star Trek V.

5. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    It had to be from V for two reasons:

1. Sulu was still part of the crew. In VI, he was captain of the Excelsior.
    2. The lighting of the bridge was lighter than VI, which had a darker tone to it.

6. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

I would presume STVI, as the half of the TOS cast has died has now died.

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It was a promo pic wasn't it? Like this:

[​IMG]

So Sulu would be in it, no matter what ship he was on.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  8. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

Maybe, but also look at Kirk's hair coloring and the insignia on Sulu. It's not clear in the picture, but it doesn't look like he has the captain's insignia like Spock and Kirk do. Kirk's hair in ST V is darker, less gray than VI.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Also, I think the consoles in the back have the TNG LCARS touch controls that were used in STV (as they redressed the TNG bridge set) but pulled back to be more TOS-era in VI, IIRC.

PCCViking likes this.
  10. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    It's ST V primarily for two reasons. The bridge in TUC is different from the cast pic (as shown in the thread) and Sulu isn't wearing a white shoulder strap (I forget the name) or collared shirt under the tunic so he was still in the operations division in TFF and not the command division like you see Kirk and Spock both wearing.
    [​IMG]

11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I saw it on Friday, and I was not impressed at all. It was certainly better than that pathetic excuse of a film that came out in 2013, but it does nothing new with the franchise nor does it take any risks which is why I still enjoy the 80's Trek films the most, warts and all.

I did like J-Law in it. She was a cool character.

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I will say I don't think Beyond takes as many risks with the Trek canon as Star Trek and Into Darkness did, however, I think it's a really fun, well put together adventure in the mold of a lot of Star Trek "marooned on a deserted planet" style episodes, especially in TOS, which is fitting. I do like where Kirk is at the start of this movie and I think he has a compelling character arc (How does one stop James T. Kirk from becoming too maudlin? Blow up the damn ship!). Spock has some interesting character stuff to do too (even if he physically isn't doing that much what with the gut wound and all) and Jaylah is downright lovable. Also I will admit on second viewing, Krall's character works much better but a hellova lot of that has to do with the revelations in the third act. (of which were actually spoiled in an ad released by Paramount a few days before the movie. I'm not even kidding. PS - link has officially released major spoilers.)

I will say, I think two theatrical viewings of Beyond for me might be enough (My theatrical viewing count for Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness were double that). Unless in four weeks I can find me a 10 PM, 2D show or something which I always find pretty empty 10 PM shows (or just sparsely attended shows in general) are real cool for experiencing the audio mix.

13. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I put this movie as better than STID but behind Trek09. This might make it into the middle of the entire Trek film series for me too. It was fun adventure but not much more.

By the way,
    what happened to Krull's appearance at the end? WTH was that about?

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

The way I sees it, "Krall" aka Edison was absorbing aliens for about a century so he became more alien as it went on. With the crew of the Enterprise providing fresh bodies to absorb, and most of them humans (and before we see Krall in his final mostly-human Edison appearance) he becomes more human, kinda sorta, by the end. The last evidence we see of someone he absorbed is a redshirt human. And even his speech patterns become more human by the end of the movie as opposed to the alien language / broken English he's doing at the start.

Jedi Merkurian and ShaneP like this.
  15. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    That was the picture in the movie!

Diggy likes this.
  16. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    That Enterprise set from V looks like the one in the picture. The VI one had a darker lighting and more metallic feel to it.

Look at this picture from VI. Compare the side walls and carpeting. That picture is Trek V.

[​IMG]

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Review
    Today, I learned that a river was 137 miles long. For years, I believed it to run east to west, but in fact the greater part of its course is north to south. I've always remembered how cool it was when I dipped my hand there, though. That experience is true; it has meaning and validity for me, despite how wrong my other conceptions might have been. Life is largely about the things we should do, and I've decided at length that I'm supposed to return there. I thought of the logistics involved in making that happen, and occasionally of the herons that used to sweep across the surface, and to the opposing bank. We have to find what we're supposed to do in life. It's hard, sometimes. But the search is worthwhile. I'll need to get in bed early if I'm going to make good on any of this.

In this film, beehive aliens use kamikaze attacks to take down the ship before literally being defeated by the power of rock and roll. Also, they are actually humans. What do you honestly want me to say about that?

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  18. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    that its ****ing awesome?

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, I believe the beehive aliens were drones/robots. That's why the few survivors like Krall could control them.

20. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    So given that he was making robotic controlled space ships for a massive fleet, he didn't just develop a piloting program, but decided to build a full humanoid robot "pilot" that would then have to be trained to pilot these ships?

What.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No, he found the mining drone workforce left behind on the planet by the race that built them, the bio weapon and the life-extending technology. He repurposed them as soldiers.

The actual ships are designed for anyone to use them but their origin is less explicitly stated in the film. Presumably they were also repurposed mining equipment left behind.

After seeing the film for the second time last weekend, I picked up on the whole drones/bees Jayla joke that I missed the first time, but Edison's logs clearly explain the drone origin.

22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Does it frighten anyone else that someone in the medical field can misunderstand so many things?

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  23. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I think that's what a lot of people are missing. That explanation comes so late in the movie as well. Most people seem to not recognize that the suits are pretty much a robotic work force. When Bones and Spock transport onto the drone, you can see that the robot was definitely sitting inactive until that point. I've actually seen a lot of people wondering where that work force and the drones came from in the first place, when it is directly stated in the movie that the drones were left by an alien race that had abandoned the planet long ago.

24. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Maybe this series should stop pushing the idea so aggressively that mining equipment can be easily re-purposed into a state-of-the-art, ultra-lethal fighting force that in fact surpasses known technology. Has this ever even remotely happened in history? Was one of the creators of the series re-launch the son of a miner? Is there some reason they keep going back to this well?

Abadacus likes this.
  25. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Maybe it's the cultural reach of The Incredibles and that postscript with the Underminer. He was just so great.

Haven't seen this Trek thing and don't intend to until I can watch it in the consumer electronics section of Target, but I'm sure it will be worth that.