main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Star Trek Beyond

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthMane2, Dec 5, 2014.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well here's my ranking now:
    TVH, FC, TWOK, TUC, ST09, TSFS, GEN, STB, TMP, TFF, NEM, STID, INS

I don't hate Beyond, and I don't dislike it either. I give it 3.5 out of 5. All of my criticisms are just my general frustrations on where the franchise is going. Maybe my expectations are just too high.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, there should have been a close-up of a drone being damaged or investigated to show that it's a robot and not just another alien in badass combat armor.

The impression I get is that the mining equipment/attack fighters were hardened and that their swarm attack was really a means of digging or penetrating ground/roc for the other drones to then manually access. Edison/Krall armed them with tech he had/acquired from ships stranded.

Then, in combination with his knowledge of Federation tech and the data he hacked from Yorktown, he was able to modulate their shielding to allow them to pass through the Enterprise's shields (like the torpedoes used to take down the Enterprise-D in Generations). So a combination of that and their sheer numbers is what allowed them to succeed. A smaller swarm might have been overcome even with the shield modulation, as may have a medium swarm without the shield modulation. Though at some point, sheer numbers win out.

But we do see that the Enterprise might have survived against a smaller swarm and even Yorktown held out against the full swarm for a period of time.

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Saw it some days ago. Liked it; best of the reboot series; good action, design, character play and development; it felt like a ensemble movie instead of Kirk and Spook's bromans with extras; really like Kevin and his species, hope we see more of him and them.

4. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    The order for me now goes:
    TWOK=TUC=FC > GEN > ST09=STB > TSFS > NEM > STID > TVH > TFF > INS > TMP

5. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Got to see Star Trek Beyond on the weekend. Considering that Justin Lin was the director, I had huge doubts when he was announced. I came away pleasantly surprised :) Everyone played their parts well, loved the alien makeup and the new character of Jayla and I liked that it had an original series vibe more so this time.

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Beyond came in 2nd place this weekend, dropping almost 60% from it's opening, which is larger than either Star Trek or Star Trek Into Darkness did.

Before moving on to the rest of the weekend's new wide releases, squeaking into second place is last weekend's box office champion, Star Trek Beyond, with an estimated $24 million. While this does push the third installment in the new Star Trek franchise over $105 million, it represents a nearly 60% second weekend drop, a significant decline when compared to the last two films, both of which saw their domestic cumes climb over $146 million by the end of their second weekends. Paramount has already announced a fourth Star Trek film is on the way, but it will be interesting to see if the budget climbs as high as the $185 million spent on Beyond or if they dial it back to make up for what appears to be a declining interest from the audience at large.

I still think we'll get that 4th movie, the wheels seem to be rolling and it's not as if this movie is a bomb or anything but it seems it won't nearly hit what the last two flicks did. To be fair, it is going to be the third highest grossing Star Trek movie of all time (it already is internationally and will pass Voyage Home for North America in, like, a day or so) but box office take between the original batch and the Bad Robot flicks is pretty different. I'd wager it ends it's run at maybe 90 less in North America than Into Darkness did. If you play the inflation numbers game, it's actually right now just between Nemesis and Final Frontier!

If it's still around in 3 more weeks (Things move in and out of theatres fast in the summer), I think I'll get in a third viewing, just in case we never get that 4th movie from this crew. But I do think we will. Maybe move it out of the thick of summer blockbuster season, Paramount (getting clobbered by Jason Bourne this weekend and Suicide Squad next weekend certainly doesn't help). How about mid August or October or March or something?

Also scaling back the budget for Star Trek isn't the worst thing ever. We did get Wrath of Khan from that after all!

In somewhat happier news, Star Trek dot com posted an interview with Karl Urban and, fun fact, his contract was up with Into Darkness and could have gone with a different project but instead resigned for Beyond. We love Bones, dammit! (and he's great in this movie too), and he directly came up with some of Bones' dialogue also (like him freaking out when he gets on the transporter pad)

http://www.startrek.com/article/checking-in-with-karl-urban

7. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    moar liek "Star Dreck: Beyonce"

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Interesting tidbit digging through Bob Orci's twitter, which he has implied before but now he flat-out states he didn't want Khan for the baddie as Into Darkness, he wanted Robert April (first Captain of the Enterprise). And, fun fact, Robert April ends up being the baddie for "Countdown to Darkness" a IDW comic that Orci had input on.

9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Anything would have been better than Khan, including that idea. I liked it when Cumberkhan was just Harrison, some guy with a grudge.

10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    My personal pet theory going into Into Darkness was that he was Joaquin. The Augment they unfroze wasn't Khan. Basically be the same movie anyway. Although "My name is ... Joaquin!" wouldn't have the same pop.

ShaneP and PCCViking like this.
  11. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    My fave is STFFS, followed closely by STGFY and STICTYTT

Ender Sai likes this.
  12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I thought you liked STNIAWYC, Rogue_Ten?

13. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    I mean, it's alright. At least as good as STMILF

Ender Sai likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  16. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I saw Beyond today. Fun. I like the fact that they're avoiding the current trend of having continuity heavy or arcs or trilogy based story telling. The more episodic approach to the series is a nice change. Very surprised by Pegg's writing, I panicked when I heard he'd be writing. Even Justin Lin's directing was solid.

But next time, come on.....KLINGONS!

17. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    I thought the movie was alright. Not bad, but not great. It was alright, some good bits. I enjoyed it more than the other two reboots. Here's my personal favorite ranking:

TMP, SFS, TWOK, TVH, TUC, GEN, FC, TFF, INS, NEM, STB, ST09, STID

18. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    wrap it up, trekailures

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I do concur on that point, although I thought it was nice to have brand new alien antagonists in this installment, it really sold the TOS trapped on an alien planet episode vibe. They've been teasing all out war with the Klingons since Into Darkness (and the Klingons were cut from Star Trek). Apparently George Kirk is going to be involved in the probably likely 4th Kelvin Timeline movie and the Kelvin itself was on the edge of Klingon space when they encountered the Narada. so, hopefully, maybe?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Saw it on Friday and really enjoyed it. By far the best of the new films, IMO.

21. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Do you want any film industry beyond art house films spoken in Russian with subtitles?

22. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

what do you think?

23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    He is a fan of honorable films like "The Uninvited" which he personally recommended to me.

ShaneP likes this.
  24. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    actually, no, i recommended the original film it was based on, A Tale of Two Sisters, which was an art house film spoken in Korean with subtitles

JoinTheSchwarz , tom and ShaneP like this.
  25. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    lol That's what I thought!