Amph Star Trek books and comics Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Juliet316, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    I searched high and low and I could not find a thread dedicated to the books and comics of the Star Trek universe in this book forum, so I decided to create one! :)

So..... To start this thread off:

What is your favorite Trek book?

What is your favorite Trek comic?

If you are currently reading a Trek novel, what are you reading?

It's been awhile since I've read a Trek comic but my favorite Trek novel is Prime Directive by Judith and Garfield Reeves Stevens.

I'm currently reading Ex Machina by Christopher L. Bennett.

Ahead Warp 9!
  2. darth-sinister Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I like all the William Shatner novels. He does a good job with the characters and very respectible one, I must say. :) I haven't read too many Trek comics, so I cannot have form an opinion.
  3. TheProphetOfSullust Force Ghost

star 4
    My Enemy, My Ally by Diane Duane.

Federation by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens is also good... too bad the movie First Contact nullified it completely.
  4. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    I'm about halfway through My Enemy, My Ally at the moment. Gotta get back to that one.

And true about First Contact/Federation, but at least First Contact didn't turn Trek history into garbage like....... Well that's a topic for the other forum.[face_blush]
  5. Darth_Duck Force Ghost

star 4
    I searched high and low and I could not find a thread dedicated to the books and comics of the Star Trek universe in this book forum, so I decided to create one!

Well on page 2 (!) yopu must've missed my earlier thread.

If we're ignoring that, my favorite "Trek" novel is "Star Trek THe Lost Era: The Art of The Impossible" by Keith R.A. DeCandido
  6. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    [face_blush] Sorry Duck, I guess I did miss that one.

*hangs head in shame*
  7. Lord_of_all_Noldor Jedi Knight

star 3
    I don't really like ST boooks. I like the series, but the books lack something.... They are very shallow, with no proper plot.
  8. TheProphetOfSullust Force Ghost

star 4
    Shallow? Many are, but so are many of the series episodes, especially on Voyager. Which ones did you read?
  9. CarrKicksDoor Jedi Knight

star 3
    If you haven't read Articles of the Federation by Keith R.A. DeCandido, DO IT. It was possibly the best book I read all last year.

It's a book that really follows up on the events in Nemesis, and if you read the A Time To series, it makes a lot more sense. I think the Star Trek books, though, especially in light of the demise of the series, have gotten a lot better in regards to at least continuity, and are establishing a much better and clearer world. It's better for me than the ones that I used to read that William Shatner used to write, because I really was tired of Kirk coming back from the dead....again. :p And many of the adventures are shallow, but in the last year or so, someone in the book department has started planning a lot better, and things have become much more along the lines (in planning continual story arcs) of Star Wars novels. Things are falling into place with galactic politics. They aren't saving the galaxy in every book anymore, which is nice.

~Carr

Edit: Clarification of a point. :) Cause I can't construct proper sentences.
  10. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7

A lot of the credit goes to former Trek books editor John Ordover and current Trek books editor Marco Palmieri. Since probably right before the end of DS9 they've made a concious effort to streamline the Trek book line, like with the relaunches of DS9 and Voyager (which continues each series after their respective finalies in book form), as well as bring new things along like New Frontier, Titan, and Vanguard. That also includes getting quality writers for the books like DeCandido, SD Perry, Greg Cox among others.

From what I understand, there's even more qaulity stuff on the way from the book line.
  11. NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I like all of judith and garfield reeves stephens books, especialy the DS9 ones. I didn't read federation or memory prime but i will one day. I also really liked Peter David's books. David's run on the dc star trek comics was pretty good, as was friedman's. I never read any of the marvel trek comics.
  12. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    Reviving this thread to ask what is the WORST Star Trek novel you ever read?

For me it was Warped by Alan Dean Foster. I cannot imagine what the guy was thinking writing that? To this day it's the only Trek novel that I have read and stopped reading before I got to the end. It was that bad.

What is yours?

And is there a specific character or series (TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT) that you lean towards? For me it seems that I lean more towards TNG and specifically novels that have a lot of Picard or a Picard moment.

So is there a character or series that you lean towards more than others?

One more, do you lean more towards the novel series that do not center on the TV characters/series?
  13. Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I have the movie adaptations of Generations and First Contact. Generations book was better than the movie. First Contact, I'd say was neck and neck. But Generations, I almost didn't even recognize the movie. I read the book first.
  14. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    Yeah, Generations has the original Kirk death scene in it. If I remember all the rumors correctly at the time, JM Dillard wrote it before Shatner had the Kirk's death changed.
  15. darth-ermac Force Ghost

star 1
    The novelizations are all based off each draft, sometimes the earlier drafts and all have material written especially for the book. I tried to read "Probe", but it got boring and I had to quit. I've only read the Shatner books, "How Much For The Planet?", "Time Trap", "The Kobyarshi-Maru" (sp) and "Final Frontier". That last one is not the film, but a book about Kirk's father. The present day is set after "City On The Edge Of Forever".
  16. Queen_Pixie Jedi Master

star 4
    Favorite ST book-Imzadi, which I will be re-reading shortly. I'm on my second paperback copy of it. First one literally fell apart.

I am currently re-reading the Invasion series, on book three right now. I don't have that many ST books though, not compared to SW books.

Worst? TOS fans will hate this, but it was one of the TOS books, can't recall which one. I know I donated it back to the thrift store I got it from though.
  17. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    Yeah Final Frontier is a good one. It went over the consequences of City on the Edge of Forever that was left off screen. If you read the novelization of The Voyage Home there's a scene with Kirk and McCoy where Edith Keebler is brought up.

darth-ermac, have you read the novels that Shatner's written?

From what I understand Margaret Wander Bonnao (sp?) accused Pocket Books of changing her novel around too much and refused to do anoter Trek book until the current editorial managment asked her to do a DS9 one for DS9's 10th anniversary.

I have the InVasion books on my shelf, Queen_Pixie. I've read the first too, but the fourth is languishing on my shelf until I get the third one.

Yeah that's a good sign that you like any book when it falls apart in your hands from too much reading it. I know a few Trek books I have to replace soon.

I will say I have far far, more Trek novels, than I ever have SW. Maybe about 80 - 100?
  18. Jek_Windu Jedi Master

star 4
    I haven't read many Trek novels, and none of the comics (where do I find them?), but I'd have to say some of the best have been the short story anthologies, specifically Prophecy and Change, Tales from the Dominion War, and Tales from the Captain's Table.
  19. DarthSolo3 Jedi Knight

star 1
    1. There is a lot of debate as to whether or not the STAR WARS novels and comics are canon, however, I have read quite a few of the STAR TREK novels and comics, and find them to be rather entertaining, so I am wondering are the STAR TREK novels and comics canon?

2. WARNING: Contains SPOILER for the novel "CAPTAIN'S BLOOD" by William Shatner:

Does Spock really die in this novel? I thought that one of the guidelines to writing a STAR TREK novel was that the author could not kill off any major established character?

20. AmberSolo Jedi Padawan

I read a lot of Star Trek books. I read a little bit of evey series, but my main series I read is stuff from the Original Series. Some of my favorites include
    1.) Ishmael
    2.) Legacy
    3.) Uhua's Song
    4.) Blackfire
    5.) Vulcan' Glory

I also read both of Leonard Nimoy's biography books called I'm Not Spock and I Am Spock.
  21. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

Never read a Trek novel. They look thin and light and I doubt the core crew will die much of the time. The heroes are probably winning too, right? Loved the Nemesis movie, though the cinema sound was too loud. Saw the prior two on TV.
  22. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    Read the DS9 relaunch. That's all I can say.
  23. Death_Omega Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have a question about the DS9 relaunch...how is it? Is it a worthy read for those who love DS9 and what are the books about?
  24. Boga-the-Magnificent Jedi Master

star 4
    People! I intrude upon your book and comic discussion thread to plead with you to please consider voting in the Census Villian Tournament. Right now it is Lex Luthor vs. the Borg Queen and Lex is winning! :_|
  25. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    The relaunch books are very much in the spirit of DS9 and yes, very much worth the read.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.