Amph Star Trek books and comics Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Juliet316, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnfatpants Jedi Knight

star 3
    Absolutely worth the read. Like the SWEU, the editors are starting to enforce a continuity among the mainstream novels (of all the series) in the post-DS9 TV finale universe. What happens in one novel, affects events in other novels... or at least will be mentioned in other novels.
  2. Rebel_Spook Force Ghost

star 4
    I am a huge fan of the DS9 TV series and now that I have heard that there are books that continue the story after the series finale, I am really interested in reading some of the novels. I just need to know the names of the books, and in what order to read them. Recommendations will also help me to decide which ones to seek out first.
  3. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    Rebel_Spook, I apologize for not getting back to you earlier (Work is a pain in the you know what). Like I said, earlier, A Stich in Time is considered part of the Relaunch as in the three part book series Millienium (The Fall of Terok Nor, The War of the Prophets, Inferno ) Here are the others:

The Lives of Dax anthology
    by S.D. Perry
    Section 31: Abyss by David Weddle and Jeffery Lang
    Gateways #4 Demons of Air and Darkness & Gateways #7 What Lay Beyond: Horns and Ivory by Keith R.A DeCandido
    Mission Gamma:
    Twilight
    by David R. George III
    This Gray Spirit by Heather Jarman
    Cathedral by Michael A. Martin & Andrew Mangels
    Lesser Evil by Robert Simpson
    Rising Son by S.D. Perry
    Unity by S.D Perry
    The Left Hand of Destiny (You need to read the TNG novel Diplomatic Implausiblity first) Books One and Two by J.G Hertzler & Jeffery Lang
    All three of The Worlds of DS9 books.
    Warpath by David Mack, which will be out later this month.

That's it for now.
  4. Zebra3 Force Ghost

star 5
    *dusts off thread*

Recently I have rediscovered my love for all things Star Trek. I grew up watching TNG and DS9. Then, for whatever reason, I just sort of fell out of it for about ten years. I'm still not quite sure why. [face_thinking] And I used to always loved the novels. I remember getting the first four New Frontier novels when they came out. I wish I hadn't dropped it because, as I look back up on that particular series, apparently a lot of interesting things have happened. :( Now I'm having trouble finding those old books. But with it being the 40th anniversary this year, there a lot of great novels being released. I'm even working my way through the A Time to... series.

After scouring my local used bookstores I've found a treasure trove of old Trek novels. I think my favorite one right now is The Vulcan Academy Murders. I always like those stories where we get a closer look at Spock's family.

And right now I'm reading A Time to Kill. I haven't gotten too far into the book yet but I've loved the whole series so far :)
  5. OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    First "I am not Spock" Then "I am Spock" And finally, "I am also Scotty"
  6. Zebra3 Force Ghost

star 5
    *snrk* The Simpsons rules! [face_laugh]
  7. TheProphetOfSullust Force Ghost

star 4
    I am currently reading Descent by Diane Carey (a novelization of the TNG two-part episode of the same name).

I like how the authors do "missing scenes" for these, although sometimes it's strange. So far, it's been better than most.

Oh, and stay away from The Devil's Heart. The author clearly has trouble between differentiating between ST and SW concepts.
  8. Zebra3 Force Ghost

star 5
    A gift for all ST lovers :D

linked to inappropriate page
  9. Zebra3 Force Ghost

star 5
    [face_blush] Incidentally, the video itself wasn't inappropriate but some of the comments on the YouTube page were and I didn't notice. [face_blush]

Yesterday I read The Battle of Betazed and I thought it was really good! If anyone's looking for a novel with a lot of Troi action then this is a great one to read :)
  10. NJOfan215 Force Ghost

star 5
    I've read someof the DS9 relunch and have enjoyed it. I think ineed to reread the first few books and go from their. What are the essential books in the series?
  11. Zebra3 Force Ghost

star 5
    Unfortunately, I haven't gotten into the DS9 books yet :(

I just finished Orion's Hounds and I thought it was a pretty good book. It was great seeing the star-jellies again and I really liked how they expanded their culture. I'm really liking the Titan series so far. It's good to get back to exploring the ST universe now.

Up next is Summon the Thunder. Harbinger was.... okay, if a little boring in spots. But I'm willing to give the series a try for now :)
  12. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    Funny, I actually liked The Devil's Heart. The one Star Trek book I do loathe though is Warped.

Reposting the DS9 relaunch list I posted earlier.

The Lives of Dax anthology
    Avatar Books One and Two by S.D. Perry
    Section 31: Abyss by David Weddle and Jeffery Lang
    Gateways #4 Demons of Air and Darkness & Gateways #7 What Lay Beyond: Horns and Ivory by Keith R.A DeCandido
    Mission Gamma:
    Twilight
    by David R. George III
    This Gray Spirit by Heather Jarman
    Cathedral by Michael A. Martin & Andrew Mangels
    Lesser Evil by Robert Simpson
    Rising Son by S.D. Perry
    Unity by S.D Perry
    The Left Hand of Destiny (You need to read the TNG novel Diplomatic Implausiblity first) Books One and Two by J.G Hertzler & Jeffery Lang
    All three of The Worlds of DS9 books.
    Warpath by David Mack
  13. Zebra3 Force Ghost

star 5
    Wow! Has anybody else read the Double Helix books? I'm working my way through that miniseries right now and so far it's been pretty good. I've already read Infection, Vectors and Red Sector. Red Sector I was a little disappointed with but they've all been enjoyable reads.
  14. NJOfan215 Force Ghost

star 5
    A new star trek next gen comic book mini will be hitting store in january. http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0610/19/idwjan.htm
  15. Zebra3 Force Ghost

star 5
    Ohhh! Looks interesting. I've never read a ST comic before, however. Can you purchase them in TPB?
  16. NJOfan215 Force Ghost

star 5
  17. Zebra3 Force Ghost

star 5
    Okay :) What are the best titles to read?

Also, I'd like someone to help me out. I recently just read The Genesis Wave, Book 3 and something about it is confusing me. In it Alyssa Ogawa's child is a girl named Suzi. However, in more recent novels the child is a boy named Noah. So, what's up with that? Is it just bad editing on someone's part?
  18. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

Never read a ST book. What's considered the best written?
  19. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    Excellence, everybody's going to have a different opinion of what was the best Trek novel, but for my money anything written by Peter David, Keith R.A DeCandido and Michael Jan Friedman are good places to start.

Other books include Prime Directive, Killing Time, Spock's World, the DS9 Relaunch books and Strangers from the Sky.
  20. Zebra3 Force Ghost

star 5
    Ditto on anything by Peter David. In fact, Ex, you might actually like the New Frontier series by him. His characters have been known to die.
  21. NJOfan215 Force Ghost

star 5
    I've only read the first 5 new frontier books but i enjoyed them. I think i may reread them and read the following ones.
  22. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

Yes, killable characters does garner Exproval with me. :D
  23. Zebra3 Force Ghost

star 5
    Good luck finding those books though. Most are out of print and you can't get some of them in a regular bookstore. Either a used bookstore or online would be the best bets :)
  24. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

Emporium has a few New Frontiers. Where does a new entrant start, who's never read a Trek book?
  25. Zebra3 Force Ghost

star 5
    Here's the order to read the books in:

* House of Cards
    * Into the Void
    * The Two-Front War
    * End Game
    * Martyr
    * Fire on High
    * Once Burned (Captain's Table #5)
    * Double or Nothing (Double Helix #5 (TNG #55))
    * The Quiet Place
    * Dark Allies
    * Requiem (Excalibur #1)
    * Renaissance (Excalibur #2)
    * Restoration (Excalibur #3)
    * Gateways, Book 6: Cold Wars
    * Being Human
    * Gods Above
    * Stone and Anvil
    * After the Fall
    * Missing in Action

The first four books are rather short, however. New Frontier was originally a new concept, a series of books featuring primarily new characters and only minor characters from The Next Generation. The first four books were written basically to see if readers would buy books about Star Trek characters that didn't have much to do with one of the series.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.