main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Star Trek books and comics Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by Juliet316, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Thanks, I'll look into them.

2. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Hey, is anyone else reading the Crucible books? I just read The Fire and the Rose yesterday and I thought it was... odd, to say the least. The McCoy book was also really different. I'd really like to know what other people thought of these books.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm reading the McCoy one now, I'll share my thoughts when I'm done (interesting thus far) haven't picked up the other too yet.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Has anyone here read the book "Engines of Destiny"? Now, normally, I avoid pretty much all Trek novels since they're not canon, but this one seems to have just a very interesting premise that dosn't seem like it could ever be contradicted (given the alternate-universe aspect of the story), which increases it reading value ever so slightly.

Just sounds very interesting, so I'm curious, to those who have read it, how is it? Might break my usualy rule and pick it up. I rather like how the premise apparently ties generations and First Contact together- it at least shows there was some greater significance to Kirk's death so far as subsequent cause-and-effect aspects of Picard's involvement go. It's something I hadn't really thought of before. Adds a nice layer to things.

5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    My personal favorite "Next Gen" novel was the one that postulates that Trelayne (the "Squire of Gothos") is actually a youngster from the Q continuum. The story goes along on three seperate "Alternate Universe" tracks:

1) "Normal" track, with Captain Picard & crew.

2) The Enterprise-D, commanded by Captain Crusher and Commander Picard is on her way to Farpoint Station. Jack & Beverly divorced after the death of young Wesley :eek: Jack Crusher and Picard served together aboard the Stargazer, and Jack's career star rose after he saved the Stargazer with the "Crusher Maneuver." They pick up Dr. Crusher, and a newly-rescued Lt. Cmmdr. Riker.

3) "Yesterday's Enterprise" [face_skull]

Over the course of the story, the "tracks" begin to intersect. The chapter that involves Wesley unknowingly bouncing across the tracks is comedy gold!

6. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    ^^ That would be Q-Squared.

I've also never read Engines of Destiny either. But I have heard that it's a pretty good book.

7. OBIWANAmidala

OBIWANAmidala Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2006
    I am reading the invasion series at the moment. My favorite book so far has been Enterprise Daedalus part 1...

8. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I really enjoyed the DS9 invasion book.

9. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    It's been a long time since I've read a Trek novel! I remember I generally enjoyed the Peter David books most -- Imzadi, Vendetta, Q-Squared. I also enjoyed The 34th Rule and A Stitch in Time.

I remember a lot of Trek books pissed me off out of sheer sloppiness -- a red shirt would die, and then be back again a few chapters later, stuff like that.

10. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Q-Squared has the be the most confusing-book-that-somehow-made-sense that I have ever read.

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Far better than another confusing Trek book I read - "Warped"

12. TheEwokSlayer

TheEwokSlayer Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 13, 2006
    I,Q.

It may be non-canon, but it's still awesome. It's also a pretty quick read.

I finished The Ashes of Eden, the first book of the William Shatner series, about a month ago. It was slow at first, but was actually much better than I expected.

I will be starting Mirror Universe: Glass Empires soon. It's composed of three novellas about, obviously, the Mirror Universe. It looks to be pretty good.

-TheEwokSlayer

EDIT: The Good That Men Do (Enterprise) has an intriguing premise, but I haven't seen the last episode of Enterprise (actually, I've seen maybe 10 episodes...) and haven't read Last Full Measure, so, a lot of it won't make sense to me. Hey, that's the way the Ferengi bargains. (Get it? Ferengi?)

13. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    I just finished reading "The Good That Men Do". Below my review. I have blacked it out for those who do not wish to read spoilers. For those who do, READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!

I spent the last six days reading the new Star Trek: Enterprise novel, ?The Good That Men Do?, and I will honestly say that from page one I was hooked. It annoyed me to no end when I had to put it down, as I eagerly awaited turning to the next page and finding out what was going to happen. However, there were a few nights when I stayed up reading until I could read no more. To sum it all up, this book was amazing. For those of you who absolutely loathed ?These Are The Voyages....?, the final episode of Star Trek: Enterprise, like I did you will certainly enjoy this novel as well.

The premise can be summed up in four words: Trip did not die. We all watched as Commander Charles ?Trip? Tucker III bravely sacrificed his life to save Captain Jonathan Archer on the way to the signing of the Federation Charter, though a great deal of us also thought that it was out of character and much too forced. That is what makes this novel so great, as it shows that Trip actually didn?t die that day. He faked his death so he could carry out a covert operation deep within Romulan territory in an effort to prevent the annihilation of a planet called Corridan Prime. He faked his death in 2155, rather than actually dying in 2161 like the final episode told us. His mission in Romulan space and the emotions that the crew of the starship Enterprise must go through in dealing with their ?loss? are all observed by two characters from Deep Space 9 watching hologram recordings in the early 25th Century in Louisiana: Jake Sisko and Nog.

Other than the fact that Trip did not die, we also learn during this great read that Corridan did not join the Coalition of Planets that gave birth to the United Federation of Planets. Therefore, this makes the Star Trek episode titled ?Journey to Babel? make far more sense, as it was about a diplomatic conference on the admission of Babel into the Federation.

Perhaps the most interesting part of this novel is the fact that it is a direct lead up to the Earth-Romulan War, a never-before explored conflict that gave birth to the United Federation of Planets. We learn that they are attempting to perfect a Warp 7 engine, along with a cloaking device for their battleships so they can easily attack Earth, Vulcan, Andoria and the other Coalition worlds.

The way the characters are portrayed and the emotions they feel are spot on with the entire length of the show. While reading it, I could picture each character saying everything written on the page. This is especially true with Trip. He was shown with a great deal of depth and emotion, something that the final episode was lacking (other than the subtle wink that he gave Archer as he was being put inside the medical chamber). His emotions, as well as T?Pol?s, as his daughter Elizabeth T?Les Tucker was being buried on Vulcan were all spot on with what was shown in the episode ?Terra Prime?, the episode that I consider to be the true series finale.

Perhaps the greatest part of this book is that it actually feels like the season premiere of Season 5, one that leaves open the possibility for even more novels and adventures for Trip as a spy and the crew of the starship Enterprise. I am hoping for a series of Romulan War novels featuring Enterprise, and I hope that the next planned Enterprise novel, ?Kobayashi Maru? (yes, it?s true), will continue where this novel left off. However, we will all have to wait patiently until 2008 to read this novel.

There was one problem that I had reading this novel, and it is something that other reviewers have pointed out as well. The novel mentions that Trip had two siblings. The first was Elizabeth Tucker, who we know died in the Xindi attack of 2153. The other, who I cannot remember hearing about in the show, is named Albert who, along with his husband Miguel, travels to signing of the Coalition Compact and voices his disdain for Starfleet Comma

14. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    That actualy sounds like a cool book.

15. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I haven't read a Trek novel in ages, but I did get the Trek manga that was out a short while ago. I really enjoyed it. I'm not sure if it's still available but I highly recommend getting it if you can. :)

16. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

17. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Hmmm, I'll look for it when I'm next out and about, probably won't be for a few days, Darth Uni is keeping me busy.

18. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    Sorry for the double post. I found some Star Trek Comics Classics books and I'm thinking of getting one to see what their like. Does anyone know which is the first one?

19. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    Hello, everyone! I just thought I'd pop in, since I'm a huge Star Trek fan, especially of Voyager. I haven't read any of the Orig. Series novels, but I have read parts of the VOY novels by Christie Golden. They were okay, I guess. Any recommendations?

- Serena Kenobi

20. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    I've just ordered Star Trek Titan: Taking Wing and book two The Red King. I really hope they are good?

The authors Michael A Martin & Andy Mangels are a good team and I haven't been disappointed so far by their Star Trek Enterprise books Last Full Measure and The Good That Men Do.

Maybe that's a good sign that I will like Star Trek Titan as well.

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005

If your a Voyager fan I would try to find The Nanotech War by Steven Piziks and Captain's Tale: Fire Ship by Diane Carey.

As for TOS, the Cruicible books by David R. George III are a good read.

22. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    The Titan novels are pretty good.

Star Trek: Titan is based around Riker and Troi and Riker's first command, the USS Titan.

The Titan series is very good so far. It was nice to see Riker finally get his own ship, considering that he was offered the Aries, the Melbourne and may have been offered Voyager.

23. EUReader

EUReader Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 10, 2004
    How are the new TNG books? I'm thinking of getting Death in Winter and the ones that follow.

24. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    I've read one of the new Next Gen. books, but was extremely disappointed. It was Before Dishonor, and it just didn't have the Star Trek feeling that I had hoped for. And the characterization, especially of the Voyager characters, was very disappointing as well. These are spoilers for the book, so read at your own risk:

Captain Janeway is taken by the Borg and is killed along with the Borg vessel. Seven of Nine almost dies, but she's saved at the last minute. How could they kill off Janeway in only that short a time when Picard has been alive and is still alive after all these years? Thankfully, Star Trek profic is NOT considered canon, so I'm hoping that maybe someone could bring Janeway back to life. She deserves at least that.

So, there you have it. Characterization to me is the most important part of the novel, and I'm sorry to say that Peter David, the author of Before Dishonor, didn't really capture the characters or feeling of Star Trek at all.

But that's just my opinion, and I've only read that book. I'm sure there are much better TNG novels.

25. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    That sounds promising. I haven't started reading them yet but I have already bought the third book: Orion's Hounds since I like TNG and Riker and think that I hardly will be disappointed. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.