main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek] Crux of Impossible Choices. Nov. 4, Completed!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Sep 28, 2014.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    by Nyota's Heart with JediMaster_Jen Characters: Canon crew with OCs.

Disclaimer: Borrowing for fun and with love.

AN: A crisis unexpectedly arises leading to a conflict between professional and personal choices!

The world below them mirrored what was coming up on sensor scans. Kamiri was a beautiful world with a northern and southern continent. the southern one was lush and tropical - full of coves and attolls, whereas the northern one was replete with mountains, rivers, lakes, and woodlands.

"Communication bands indicate that their civilization is where Terra was at the midpoint of the 20th century, on the verge of space flight; they have orbital satellites and atmospheric relay stations but colonization and extrasolar exploration will doubtless be decades off." Nyota reported.

"So, contact is strictly forbidden." The Captain mused aloud.

"Medical sciences do report that they have flora that would stop the rampant pandemic on Rigel VIII." McCoy commented from his position near the bridge doors. "I wish we could open formal, official relations with them and ask for their assistance."

"Perhaps," Jim assayed, "We could make a preliminary exploration, take a few samples, out of sight of the cities, of course, and examine them. Maybe you could run tests on them and find a way to replicate them artificially so they could be turned into an antidote or vaccine?"

"I'll send down Dr. Roberts with you then. His background makes him quite familiar with homeopathic solutions."

"I'll need someone on the team from Communications. Recommendations, Lieutenant?"

"Palmer is not up on the rotation yet," Nyota replied, "And Rand is down with a sprained ankle. Guess I'm up for it, then." She grinned.

With Spock going along for Sciences, she was not unwilling to go along, for personal reasons, besides professional duty.
    Naturally, the Captain's insatiable curiosity and need to be "on the spot" made him an automatic participant.

+++++++

TBC

:cool:

AzureAngel2 and JediMaster_Jen like this.
  2. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oooh, this is a very neat set-up already! I cannot wait to see where you go with it! [face_dancing]=D=

[:D]

AzureAngel2 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Very interesting! And of course Jim wants to go :p

Nyota's Heart and AzureAngel2 like this.
  4. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    "Communication bands indicate that their civilization is where Terra was at the midpoint of the 20th century, on the verge of space flight; they have orbital satellites and atmospheric relay stations but colonization and extrasolar exploration will doubtless be decades off." Nyota reported.

Promising start... :D

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Great start. This can lead to fun, love and mayhem

6. Viridian-Maiden

Viridian-Maiden Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2013
    I'm reading, Ny. :) [face_good_luck]

Also, just because I'm curious...do you generally picture the original cast when you write ST, or the new one? I would tend towards the original, but I feel sortof conflicted now while reading...I can't be the only one with this problem.

Nyota's Heart and JediMaster_Jen like this.
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks for the great comments all. And Viridian-Maiden - :D I lean more to the recent cast frankly as far as imagining voices, etc., nuances of expression. [face_love] There are many contexts which transfer between timestreams as far as how a given character would react or not but since so many pivotal things are different, for instance, for Jim, that would totally change his world-view and expectations and wishes. [face_thinking] McCoy I can see either way [face_laugh] because he's a curmudgeon in both ;) S/U have a whole different dynamic - [face_dancing] which sends me right over. the. moon. still. ^:)^

8. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Big thank you's to our readers: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl, AzureAngel2, earlybird-obi-wan, @VViridian-Maiden

Big thank to Nyota's Heart to asking me to do this with her.:) Below is chapter two. We hope you enjoy.

Chapter Two

The away team beamed down into a secluded spot on the northern continent right next to a beautiful lake.

While Jim was moving nearly before all of his molecules had rematerialized, Spock, Nyota and Dr. Roberts were more cautious. Each instantly pulled out their tricorders and began scanning the nearby areas. Though the ships scanners and sensors did not detect an indigenous life forms in the area, they were taking no chances.

“So, are we only here to procure the necessary flora to eradicate the pandemic on Rigel VIII, Sir?” Dr. Roberts questioned the captain.

Jim turned from his position ahead of them and smiled. “Of course not, Doc. We’re here to explore.”

“Captain, I would encourage you to…”

Jim held up a hand. “Spock, I know. You say the same thing every time. I’ll be careful. I promise.”

Spock and Nyota shared an uncertain look. They knew their captain well, and careful rarely fit into any situation in which Jim Kirk found himself.

“Look at that view,” Jim exclaimed.

“It is quite…esthetically pleasing,” Spock remarked from behind the captain.

Only Dr. Roberts noticed that Spock’s eyes were entirely on Nyota and not the mountains and lake.

Nyota blushed under Spock’s intense gaze. She slowly turned in the opposite direction and began scanning the flora growing amongst the trees.

Finding some interesting readings, she bent down to get a closer look.

“Spock, I’m getting some…odd readings,” she began. “This plant appears to be…”

Spock and Dr. Roberts turned just in time to see a long stem suddenly wrap itself around Nyota’s wrist.

“Ah!” she screamed in pain, trying in vain to pull away.

Jim ran from his position near the lake towards the scream, phaser already in hand.

“Get it off me!” Nyota was screaming; tears running down her cheeks as the stem tightened.

Spock was kneeling beside her, one hand grasping her free one and the other resting against her cheek; both providing a soothing touch.

“Nyota, please, look at me,” he said calmly. “Look into my eyes.”

As she did, Dr. Roberts fired his phaser at the base of the plant. When there was no change, he fired again.

After two more shots from both Dr. Roberts and Jim, the stem released its grip and Nyota was free.

There was a nasty-looking red rash around her wrist and she was beginning to sweat.

Spock helped her up. “Are you alright?”

She slowly shook her head. “No. Can’t…breathe.”

Dr. Roberts was there in an instant. He frowned as he took bio-readings. There should only be an abrasion, but he found evidence of an allergic reaction.

"Rather like the rash one would get from poison oak or ivy," he commented almost to himself.

“Captain, it’s like a rash combined with what one would experience after a bee or wasp sting if one is allergic to the stinger. I have a broad-spectrum antitoxin but ...” his voice trailed off.

"Without doing an in-depth analyses, you're not sure how effective it'll be, or whether it will be effective at all,” Jim finished; his eyes clouded with concern.

He was used to an enemy that you could negotiate/argue with, bluff, or at the last resort, exchange firepower with. This inadvertent yet potential attack on one of his crew left him feeling helpless; not something he felt often, and didn't enjoy in the slightest.

Roberts nodded and applied the antidote with a burst of the hypospray.

The effect was immediate.

Nyota's eyes became more alert and her expression one of relief.

"Thanks, Doctor!” she said gratefully and got to her feet. "I think I can go ahead."

She took several tentative steps with the assistance of the doctor and Spock. The doctor released her quickly but stood ready and Spock kept hold of her.

Her eyes held his softly.

"I hope the rest of the indigenous life around is ... less aggressive,” she commented with an attempt at her usual wryness.

Jim spoke to her firmly. "First sign you're not feeling well ... "

"Duly noted,” Nyota replied.

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    The wonderful insights into Jim's seldom being careful [face_laugh] and his total dislike of feeling helpless. =D= The S/U was terrific. [face_love] Nyota's mishap and the reprieve - well-written indeed! :cool:

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  10. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Exciting action packed chapter. Like how you write Dr. Roberts

11. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    While Jim was moving nearly before all of his molecules had rematerialized, Spock, Nyota and Dr. Roberts were more cautious.
    --
    Jim turned from his position ahead of them and smiled. “Of course not, Doc. We’re here to explore.”

[face_laugh] You have Kirk down pat, just saying. :p (And his line about feeling helpless against such an intangible foe really stuck out to me as well. :))

“It is quite…esthetically pleasing,” Spock remarked from behind the captain.

[face_love] This was just lovely - but then, all of the Spock/Nyota interaction was wonderful to read in this chapter. [face_love]

And then - talk about a nasty plant! I am glad that they were able to untangle themselves from that pickle relatively simply - even though I find myself echoing Nyota's concerns with hoping that the rest of the native life isn't quite as aggressive . . . [face_worried]

Thanks for the excellent update! =D=

12. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    This was excellent! So scary for Nyota (and her friends).

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks all and edge of seatness is ramping up. [face_nail_biting]

Jen is helping very much with the emotive umph. ;)

~~~~~!

Chapter Three

Four hours after the away team started their explorations, sickbay received an urgent call from Dr. Roberts who summarized the events from earlier and let Chris and Len know that Nyota was suffering ill effects from some unknown indigenous botanical source.

"I sent a sample up to the labs. Have they gotten even preliminary results back yet?” Roberts asked.

Len scowled as he answered. "Coming up soon. Even with those, however, we have no true antidote. The Magister of the nearest prefecture is the one you'll need to contact."

Len didn't quibble or squabble about prime directives or any such nonsense. He was a healer first and foremost. His patients mattered before anyone, or anything else.

The knot of ice in Chris’ stomach tightened.

"Is the broad-spectrum treatment wearing off?” she asked, in a hoarse whisper.

Nick's voice was taut with concern. "I believe so. Lt. Uhura has developed a fever and she’s bradycardic and hypotensive."

Chris turned as the med-ward doors swished open, and she smiled a tense greeting to the young lady who entered.

"We placed her in a stasis field for now. We have 72 hours, and after that…,” his voice trailed off.

"I'll bet Jim is about to break all the regs,” the new arrival commented, her eyes bright with empathic concern.

"Yes, Ms. Pearce. You know him too well,” Roberts responded wryly. “He’s considering…bending the rules.”

Audrey Pearce was definitely getting it from several directions; from her connection to the landing team in general and Jim in particular. Being half-Betazoid meant she was definitely getting empathic signals. She had learned to shield the deepest and strongest signals, which was necessary for her to be productive.

She frowned, feeling a headache coming on.

"Please, bend the rules until they break,” she breathed, being a close friend of Nyota's as well.

Jim knew that any argument for regulations he might get from his first officer would be merely cursory at this point. They would be on the same screen of the datapad on this one.

For his part, Spock was bound to Nyota, tethering his essence to hers, sending her love and strength.

They were bound in the stream of the living and unifying (her term) Force, and he clung to her like Orpheus to Eurydice; like dragons to their riders of Pern. He was not going to let her slip away.
    He had spoken little to his father Sarek about what it must've been like to feel Amanda dissipate, and that was one experience he did not want to encounter firsthand. Yet, he knew it had been a harrowing and shattering experience from the haunted look in his father’s eyes.
    ++++++++

14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Uhura is in deep trouble. I hope Len and Nick can break the rules and find something to cure her.
    Moving update

15. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Ack, and here we are in the deep water! I love seeing the crew's faith in Jim (and their certainty that he will do something not technically above the board. ;) :p), and meeting Audrey again was a very nice touch! I can only imagine the emotional maelstrom that must have been!

But the paragraph at the end made it for me - especially with Spock's sudden empathy with his father, and his grief/sympathy for what Sarek went through when Amanda passed. Even the idea of that is crippling, and the insight was beautiful to read. =D=[face_love]

But yikes. Lets see a resolution, and quickly. The edge of my seat is getting quite warm. :p [face_worried]

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Note: Jen did a super-duper duper job with the first scene. Had me fangirling all over the place. =P~

~~!

Chapter 4

Dr. Roberts was becoming frustrated. Several more precious hours had ticked away and he was no closer to determining the cause nor the cure of the virus that had invaded Nyota’s system.

McCoy was looking at the most recent blood sample. “This is…it’s attacking her individual cells. Her autonomic nervous system is…is failing.”

“Please tell me you can fix this,” Jim insisted.

McCoy and Roberts both looked up. Roberts’ eyes fell on Kirk, but McCoy’s eyes drifted to Spock.

The Vulcan first officer stood ram-rod straight with his arms hung loosely at his sides. The only outward sign of any distress was his clenched hands; clenched so tightly his knuckles were turning white.

Roberts shook his head. “Captain, I’ve never…we’ve never seen anything like this before. I don’t know that we can…fix it.”

Jim sighed as he ran a hand through his hair. “Then we have to make contact with the indigenous people and…”

“The Prime Directive doesn’t allow for…” Roberts began, only to be cut off.

Jim’s hard gaze landed on the doctor. “I don’t care what the Prime Directive allows for, Mr. Roberts. This is one of our own we’re talking about here. What would you do? Let her die?”

“That is unacceptable,” Spock spoke so low he was barely heard.

Jim looked at his friend and saw something he hadn’t seen since the day so long ago when Vulcan had been destroyed and Spock’s mother was killed. Jim saw anger. He saw anger directed at Dr. Roberts.

“Spock, let’s go,” Jim said. “That’s an order.”

Spock followed him out. They were in an empty corridor when Jim turned around and stared at his half-human friend.

“Are you okay?” he finally asked.

Spock was clenching and un-clenching his hands and he’d begun to pace; something Jim had never seen him do.

“I am…not okay,” Spock decided. “I am…fearful of losing her.”

Jim took a deep breath before he spoke; hoping he could keep the promise he was about to make.

“We’ll find a way, Spock,” Jim assured him. “We will find a way out of this. If we have to break every rule in the book, we will. We’re not going to lose her.”

“Captain, I…I cannot lose her,” Spock whispered. “She is…everything.”

Jim chanced resting a comforting hand on Spock’s shoulder. “Like I said, we’ll break every rule if we have to.”

Spock squared his shoulders and stood to his full height. “I am unconcerned about the rules, Cap…Jim. I simply want to save Nyota’s life. I will do what I must.”

Jim watched his friend turn and walk down the corridor and out of sight while he headed towards the bridge.
    His mind was more than made up. His brother-of-the-heart had saved his life on more than one occasion and the situation/crisis a hundred times over.

Suddenly, Audrey was beside him. "If it were me," She breathed, "You wouldn't hesitate."

"I wouldn't anyway, if it were anyone of my crew. But I'd tear down the seven walls of Troy with my bare hands to keep you safe." He said, hugging her, drawing strength from their bond and from her encouragement to toss regs out the nearest airlock.

He gave her a lopsided grin of thanks and headed for the bridge.

Jim asked Ms. Rand to contact the Magister, and the wave of relief on the bridge was palpable as the signal was achieved.

++++

TBC

The edge of seatness has relinquished a bit. [face_relieved]

17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Only a bit. Still deep trouble for Nyota. They have to hurry

18. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, it just broke my heart watching Spock trying to keep it together there - really, really it did. :( I love Kirk's zeal and determination, though. There isn't no way they won't come out of this on top. [face_love]

This was another wonderful update, once again! =D=

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks! Mira... it was an ouch for me too, :eek: but my sweetums is gonna get some kinda great compensation for all his patience and Jim too will reap bountifully. :D :D ^:)^

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Note: Introducing OCs for this venture only: Aurelius the Prefect, Daxon the Chief Medic, and Ceillean the Chief of Nursing.

~~~!!

4 Hours Later

The Captain was still wrangling with Prefect Aurelius, who was supercilious and had eyes like obsidian that were inscrutable and gave away nothing. His voice was clipped and condescending. He kept speaking about committees and subcommittees.

The Chief Healer, Daxon, was ot much better. He hadeyes of jade green but there was nothing serene or beneficent about his glance either. He kept talking about Ethics Reviews and forms that had to be stamped and issued in triplets or triplicates.

The air was so thick you could slice it with a dull knife, so Sulu slipped out 15 minutes before his shift was to end and met up with Jenna, Cole's Benson's wife, and Yolette in the labs.

"I know Jim," Yolette observed, powering up her personal 'padd, "He wants to tell the Prefect where he can stick his committees."

"The Doctor said "I am not a committee."," Jenna laughed, "So he authorized Cole to ask me to set up a Plan B."

Sulu grinned with mischief dancing in his dark eyes. "Let's not run this through official channels, shall we? Saves time and makes for plausible deniability."

Yolette laughed. "Saves our bacon too, Hikaru."

"There's that too."

Jenna frowned. "Hey, beats sitting around doing diddly!"

Yolette's expression turned serious. "As part of Security, you think Audrey will have to put up a cursory fuss?"

Jenna reflected: "Hmmmm. Maybe, but I don't think she'll put up too much of one."

After fancy cyber-sleuthing and piggybacking, which Yolette did expertly, but which went right over Sulu and Jenna's heads, they had the antidote, which could be evaluated and/or replicated. It was less streamlined perhaps than the actual formulas would have been straight up from the med-staff, but it hopefully would buy them time and be effective, even if it took a little longer to puzzle out the details than otherwise.

"Chris is very put out with Nick. He's as hidebound as Daxon." Jenna observed. "According to Cole, he's going to have a lot of making nice to do if he even can. McCoy's staunch unmovable stance is winning points, let me tell you!"

Yolette grinned. "Compassion over regs any day."

"I'll take this to the Medward." Jenna said, saving the files they had been working on after a final check.

It was at this point that the lab doors swooshed ...

"What is that you have, Ms. Benson?" Spock queried in a level tone. he had not missed Sulu's departure, nor the traces of computer activity. He had had no difficulty in surmising the nature of what was happening.

Jenna flushed and Yolette stammered out an explanation, with Sulu adding commentary.

"If the Kamirians become aware of your actions," He answered repressively, "Any headway will be forfeited entirely. Did you ever consider that?"

Yolette, Jenna, and Sulu exchanged discomfited glances.
    "I cleaned up the trail." Yolette answered in an "I hope it was enough" tone. She had confidence in her skills, but she didn't want what they'd been doing to come to light until it was too late, on the other end of things.

"As it happens, we are presently communicating off-the-record with a helpful staff member at the second-most prestigious hospital. She will likely be sending us the data we need." Suddenly, his eyes became candidly grateful. "Also off the record, thank you for your endeavors."

Jenna grinned in relief. "Then I can take this ...?"

"Yes, please; you will doubtless have the master-files to compare with in no time." Spock told her and they all exited.

+++++++

21. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Whew! I am so glad that they clawed ahead in this one. I found my eyes glazing over with the mention of committees and triplicate files being filled out - so I am glad that they found a way to cut through the red tape! Even though it now stands to see how everything is going to settle when it falls . . . [face_worried]

"As it happens, we are presently communicating off-the-record with a helpful staff member at the second-most prestigious hospital. She will likely be sending us the data we need." Suddenly, his eyes became candidly grateful. "Also off the record, thank you for your endeavors."

Even when he says very little, he just knows how to make me grin stupidly. [face_love]

Now, lets see this antidote be put to work! :cool:

=D=

~MJ @};-

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL! Yuppers, he turns me into a serious goofball with very few words. ;)

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  23. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    fun with plan B and the progress they make to save Uhura

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Plan B - you know friends will always come through with something inventive and workable instead of sitting around waiting for the higher-ups to decide on a strategy. :p

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Note: Turning the corner, whew!
    References are to fanfics "Chasing Dreams" and " "I'll Come With You" two grand and wonderful L/M romances. :)

Second note: LOL Epilogue is also included because of I've been looking forward to the second scene in it since the fic started. [face_laugh]
    Note #: Thanks also to Jen for being a stellar collaborator. [:D]

Chapter Six
    Sickbay

Slowly, Nyota’s body was failing her. Her fever was rising and her blood pressure and heart rate were declining further. Dr. McCoy had placed her in an isolation chamber; oxygen being pumped through the ventilation system in a last-ditch effort to stabilize her erratic breathing.

Christine placed a hand on his shoulder. “We’re going to lose her, aren’t we?” Her voice was choked with unshed tears, although she strove for professional calm. It wouldn't do their patient any good if she fell apart.

He turned to glare at the nurse. “No, we’re not!” His determination sizzled between them, and she smiled.

"I know better than to quote you the odds." She said fondly.

Alarms began blaring and McCoy turned quickly to his patient.

“She’s seizing!” he yelled. “Get me a hypo of phenobarbital, stat!”

At that moment, McCoy opened the isolation chamber and pressed the hypospray against Nyota’s neck and administered the anticonvulsant medication. Within moments, the seizure stopped, but Nyota had lost consciousness.

Jenna stepped into sickbay with Spock and Sulu hot on her heels. All three saw the doctor and two nurses crowded around Nyota.

“What has happened?” Spock questioned as his eyes widened in fear.

McCoy turned and sighed deeply. “She had a seizure. She’s unconscious. Her fever has reached dangerous levels. If Jim can’t…”

Jenna handed him the information on the antidote. “Here. This is rudimentary, but it should buy us some time.”

McCoy looked over the formula and grinned. He could easily enter this formula into the ships computers and have it ready within an hour.

While he set to work, Spock stepped into the isolation chamber and took a seat beside his love.
    He gently grasped her hand in his and began speaking softly in Vulcan. He knew that there were theories that persons in comas or in an unconscious state could still understand the words and emotions behind them of family members and close friends. He did not know if he held to such hypotheses, but he was testing them now, with every iota of his being.

Nyota felt him like the song of her mother singing a lullaby, like her father telling of Gandalf facing down a Balrog, of Galadriel with Gimli, of Frodo and Sam ... of Beren and Luthien first and foremost, her favorite Tolkien tale ... of Kashore and she laughing and melting over the exploits of Skywalker/Solos ... of Luke nursing Mara back from Massassi fever; Mara having fits over Callista and winning the Farmboy in the end ...

Yet, Spock was more visceral and salient than even these memories, reaching into the heart of her with words that felt like Nayyirah Waheed and e.e. cummings.

/Somewhere I have never traveled.../ Nyota quoted back,...

“Okay, let’s give it a go,” McCoy said as he walked into the isolation chamber.

He pressed the hypospray against Nyota’s neck and then stepped back.

Spock noticed his own breathing increased as they waited for Nyota to respond; hoping intensely that the antidote would prove effective.

As the seconds ticked by and became long, halting minutes, each person began to lose hope.

“I’m so…” McCoy began just as they all saw movement.

Nyota was moving her head. Her eyes began fluttering. The fingers of her left hand clenched.

The monitors began to show improvement in her heart rate and respirations.

Spock pushed past the medical team and stood next to Nyota, lacing his hand with hers, as her eyes slowly opened.

She asked: "Where am I?"

"Sickbay." McCoy answered firmly, grasping her other hand.

She looked at Spock with eyes that did not seem to know him on a personal level, and their bond was ominously quiet.
    "Commander, why are you ... what are you doing here?"

Spock's heart clenched ... until she winked.
    She released the bond and laughter flowed between the two of them, along with a healthy amount of love and relief.
    /No, sweetest heart, you won't have to woo me from scratch./ Nyota sent to him. /Although that could be tons of fun!/

Even barely restored to consciousness, she could and would tease. Her mischief knew no restraints, Spock thought with tenderness.

"Hi, Spock ... my sweet, embraceable you." She whispered, smiling softly.

He crushed her hand.
    "Ashal-veh." He murmured back, wanting to kiss her, but her eyes had drifted closed again, this time in a natural sleep, her hand still fast in his.

~~!!

Epilogue

3 Days Later

Jim turned off the console. All the official logs and fallout - the official recriminations - he shrugged those off - not lightly perhaps, but he made it clear in no uncertain terms that he would make the same choices again, without a second's hesitation or regret.
    The Kamirians - well ... the relations with them were what could best be called guarded. They had what they had come for, on all counts. But whether the Kamirians were the type best to ally with and count on in a crunch situation ... there were definitely some upstanding citizens who would come through ... but the ranking elected officials ... they were a pain and no mistake!

"Ms. Palmer, did you send the message we requested?" Jim asked the Communications officer on duty.
    "Yes." She replied. "The Doctor insisted Uhura's family be kept up to date, now that we have good news to report."
    "Thank you." Jim signed off, as Audrey slipped in unobtrusively and he smiled in greeting.
    Jim reflected that because of the latest situation, Nick Roberts would probably be on the outs with Christine.
    He mentioned this to Audrey who laughed.
    "Nyota's got a clean bill of health with modified work tasks - and she knows who to thank for that She insists that she is feeling more herself every hour." Audrey said. "We're planning a ladies' evening tomorrow. Are you finally finished with the reports?"

He smirked in relief. "Finally!"

They made their way to the arboretum. He paused to lower the lumen panels to a soft ambience.

"All this time, I kept thinking what if it were you." He admitted. "It was a frightening prospect."

She glanced at him, touched. "I appreciate that; I really do."

"It just made my mind up for me to take the plunge. On my last visit home, I got this..." He pulled out a jewelery box and handed it to her.

Her eyes widened.

Nestled inside was a band of silver twined with gold with an oval emerald.
    "It was my mother's engagement ring... she insisted that when I found the one I want to marry that this ring would be the perfect one ... that is if it ... you..." He trailed off at her look of amazement.

Audrey was frankly amused and moved.
    "Is this your way of working around to proposing?" She teased.

"In a half-roundabout way." He laughed. "Probably came at the whole thing backwards and sideways."

She cradled the ring and paused.

Jim had a moment's trepidation.
    "'Rey?"

"I'm thinking..." She replied, and then laughed outright.

"You've been around Nyota too much!" He exclaimed, laughing along.

"Do you mean, if we come through all the intense, seat-of-the pants adventures I know you're going to draw us into?"

"I mean, regardless." He answered sincerely.

"Yes, I will." Audrey responded, and they embraced powerfully.

Jim slid the ring on for her and they continued their stroll.

"It looks like you'll have something else to celebrate tomorrow." He commented.

She grinned. "True enough."

Elsewhere, Nyota sat on the sofa in a nest of fat pillows, with her datapadd on her lap.
    Soft music played in the background.
    She was wearing a pastel sleep suit of sheer linen. It was comfortable and lightweight - but it hid nothing for those who wanted to look, and it provided little hindrance to those who wanted to touch ...
    She had donned it, deliberately.
    The special someone who wanted to look and touch now entered and crossed to her side.

"Spock, love." She greeted tenderly, reaching out to enfold him.

He started kissing along her neck softly, drinking in the taste and feel of her: warm, vibrant, silken.
    She melted into his embrace as he found her eager mouth, and the datapadd slid unnoticed to the carpet.
    She couldn't quite get enough of him either.

Only the need for oxygen made them finally draw apart, slightly.

"I could have lost you, couldn't I." He murmured, with a shudder.

Her arms tightened. "Yes. But you didn't, darling!"

"If I wanted to be blatantly irrational, I would insist you not join a landing team for a noticeable duration to come."

She replied: "We both have our duty, and you know it. One thing I will promise now and always is to come back to you, safely." Her eyes were full of love and need. "I want to have a long, long life with you... an absurdly long life!"

Spock nuzzled her pulse point. "I make you the same promise, love."

Nyota leaned to give his ear a lick and nibble in turn. "Oh, I have missed you!" She murmured. "And I am feeling quite the thing again, sweetest!"

He gazed at her closely. "Are you positive?"

She purred huskily, "Try me."

"You forget, there is no try." Spock answered, scooping her up.

++++

[face_dancing] ^:)^

SQUGGLES!

AzureAngel2 likes this.