main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek] Dazzling Vistas. 08-09, complete.

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Jul 22, 2014.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    By: Nyota's Heart.

Disclaimer: Borrowing from JJ Abrams, with boundless gratitude. (Gives me hope for SW Ep7.) ;)

Characters: Full cast and OCs.

AN: A dual story arc - the parallel one will be in a different font.

Prologue:

The inhabitants of Dalara VI had a technology which allowed one to traverse great distances - like gates. They used them to move from one colony world in their system to another.

When these started to malfunction, the Enterprise took a team of scientists to work on them, since the natives were stymied.

Spock, naturally, was intrigued.

In his own inimitable way, he was looking forward to the challenge of participating in the project.

Nyota teased him about his "anticipation." Her word.

As events unfolded, a grand and riveting adventure awaited.

TBC...

+++++++

:D

2. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oooh, this world and its gates sounds very interesting indeed. [face_thinking] I can only imagine Spock's 'anticipation' for helping. Really, I am just excited period to see this story getting off the ground! I can't wait to see where it goes!! [face_dancing][face_love][:D]

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Very interesting start! I'm curious about where this is headed :D

4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    intriguing start

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks all! I will enjoy the variations on the theme for this one. [face_love]

Note #1: Prompt used is "Beneath The Surface" --- :cool:

Note #2: A shift in time and place from the Prologue, explained via the text.

~~~~~!!!!!!!

Nine Months Before

I stood with my hands clasped on the railing and glanced at the panoramic view of hyperspace.

I had been slated to join the Enterprise crew right after the events with Nero, having been on a ground-breaking internship of ancient languages.

I had reviewed the mission dossiers and profiles of the Captain and XO, and had found them exemplary. The former had struck me in our passing acquaintance as rather a lightweight, interested in no more than the moment's pleasure, but he had comported himself admirably during the recent crisis.

As for the latter, I had only a professional knowledge of him, although my tummy fluttered at his voice and every time I saw him in the halls.

Now, having worked with them both for a handful of weeks, I had firsthand knowledge and respect for each.

I had telegraphed that I would not tolerate any flirtations of any kind, thank you very much.

This message had been for the Captain only.

The First Officer -- now if he'd wanted to flirt with me, although how likely was that? I would be open to that, most receptive.

We had just shared a landing team mission, he and I, and he had commended me on my resourceful strategizing on working around a communications jam.

I had flushed and murmured a shy: Thank you.

On a shore leave, Shakespeare's Cymbilene was playing, one of his more obscure, lesser-known works, but to my mind, brilliant.

Spock and I were among the attendees and afterwards we engaged in a most lively discussion of Shakespeare's casting of heroes and villains.

"Iago is the most despiccable along with Richard III, but Othello was like putty in his hands." I observed.

"Cordelia and Jessica are his strongest female protagonists." He responded.

"Absolutely!" I agreed. "For sheer lighthearted fun, nothing beats Midsummer Night's Dream."

He quirked an eyebrow at me and I laughed.

I was coming to see that beneath the surface of Kirk's reckless demeanor was a heart of compassion and courageous resolve. As for Spock, the layers of complexity rivaled anything I could ever have imagined, and I wanted to explore them all.

++++++

Wheee!!!!!!

;)

Next time progression towards romance LOL

Mira_Jade NYCitygurl -- earlybird-obi-wan

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  6. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    she sure is interested in Spock. Love the Shakespeare references. Nice use of the prompt

7. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Ooh! You know that I love reading about the first stages of a relationship like this. The butterflies in the stomach and the hints of attraction were wonderfully conveyed, and I too loved the Shakespeare references - finding what lies 'beneath the surface', indeed! A great way to use the prompt. [face_love] This 'verse has me hooked. :D

=D=[:D]

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks all!

~~~~~~!!

Weeks passed and he started to teach me the ins and outs of chess.

"I'll never come up to your level, so what's in it for you?" I teased.

"The challenge and satisfaction of watching you progress in the game." Was his calm reply.

I had smirked. Watching him handle the pieces did things to my pulses ...

He found me in the arboretum perusing my personal 'padd.

I was smiling with happy relief. My sister's close friend had not had to undergo surgery after an accident, after all. Just some physical therapy and she'd be as good as new.

I shared this gladsome bit of news as he took a seat beside me.

"I can believe that is a weight off your mind, Lieutenant."

"You know, you can call me Nyota." I took the plunge and offered. It was an offer I had made to only female colleagues, and well he knew it.

He pondered the propriety of this step and gave a minuscule shrug.

"And yes, it is a load off." I continued in answer to his observation.

"Nyota." He said lowly, trying out the sound of my name.

My glance held his for a long heartbeat.

I had little guessed how utterly sweet it would sound when he spoke my name.

He and I shared the experience of watching the 'vid "Histories of Celebrian".
    We spoke appreciatively of her courage and the scope of what she had lived through - the bittersweetness of her time with Elrond -- and her daughter Arwen, who as Luthien all over again, even down to her choice.

"What struck me was how she was taken by Elrond at their first glimpse of each other through the Mirror." I observed with relish.

"I daresay the romantic in you would say their essences called to one another." Spock replied, and I grinned.

"Assuredly." I said. "You know me that well already."

After a particularly long day, full of frustrating negotiations with a recalcitrant dignitary, we found ourselves on the observation deck.

"We will be making a stop at New Vulcan in a few days." I remarked. I had reviewed the mission itinerary as we had debarked our latest assignment, hoping for something that promised to be less fraught. "I am sure you will want to comm your fiancee and tell her of our ETA."

This was unabashed, blatant probing on my part, borne of sheer curiosity.

"I am unattached. The one I had been pledged to and I came to an amicable agreement to sever ties."

Something inside danced at this disclosure.

"Nyota." Spock's tone was very serious and I was afraid I had overstepped some boundary, until he continued. "When you left for your field internship, I believed any chance of our working together in the future had come to an end, much less an opportunity for any other form of relationship between us. I took your departure (in spite of the fact that I had never spoken of such things) as your disinterest ... Now, however, circumstances have altered..."

"Do you think it is now out of the question that I would be interested in more than friendship?" I asked. "Because I didn't dare hope or expect at that earlier time, and now ... I want you so very much."

I turned to him full on and leaned close, invitingly.

His kiss was searing and deep, and it started a tingle at my toes, worked its way up and inside, igniting a fire.

"By all that is holy," I murmured breathlessly when we finally parted, "That was something else altogether. One of us should have said something, anything before."

"I would not have dreamt of holding you back professionally." Spock replied, half-teasing, caressing my cheek lightly.

"Hmmmph!" I retorted, with a wink.

"My Father will be pleased to meet you." Was the gentle overture.

If it were possible, and I didn't think it would be, my heart leaped even more.

"It's mutual, believe me!" I said with genuine delight.

We shared another kiss or several.

We had bypassed the uncertainty of a flirtship and explored the sweet gratification of a friendship ... Now he and I were poised to begin something dreams are made of.

+++++++

Mira_Jade

earlybird-obi-wan

(Flirtship is a wonderful term coined by a reviewer for L/M in the fic "Second Chance.")

9. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    So, I read through this once, and then I had to stop and re-read the whole thing all over again. You did a wonderful job building up to the big moment - flirtship is the perfect term for it! [face_laugh][face_love]. The chess bit was as perfect a drabble as ever there was, and I think that I had butterflies to match when she told him to use her name. Then you know that I was tickled to see the LoTR references make their way in (and you honor me, once again. [:D]) - essences knowing and meeting their matches, indeed! [face_love][face_mischief] This came together perfectly in the last scene, and I just had a goofy grin on my face for reading it. [face_love]

Thank-you so much for this beautiful, beautiful update. =D=[:D]

10. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    what a sweet build up of their love-making starting with the chess and ending with friendship

11. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    How cute! I love the gradual progression of their "flirtship" :p

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Woot, thanks y'all. Next up will come a scene with declarations, etc., and then moving up to the present. :cool:

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004

My first I love you comes right before he goes off on a landing team. This mission is no more fraught than many others, but I spontaneously utter those words ...

I smiled then, and added: "Don't feel pressured to say them back. It's just something I needed to say and for you to hear."

His eyes burned into mine with such tenderness that I gasped with wonderment.

His first "I love you" to me came with a single rose of violet hues.

It was my parents' anniversary--of our dad's first proposal to our mom. He often teased that he had had to wear her down. She would just laugh and say she didn't want him to think she was that easy a catch.

It had actually taken only a week from the first proposal to the final one, since he'd asked her every day until she said yes.

I felt very nostalgic, and Spock caught my mood - and thus gave me something sweetly tangible.

"Nyota, I sense your wistfulness. Perhaps, this can in some small way, lift your mood? I love you."

My beaming smile was not the only form my thanks took.

He told me later when we found time for words again that perhaps it was time we officially shared quarters ... I gave a happy squeal of assent.

+++++++++++++

Nums!

earlybird-obi-wan and Mira_Jade :D

14. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Ooooh! Forgive me while I just bask in the words here - what a great way to hear 'I love you' for the first, and the 'just to brighten your mood' use of them later was just the icing on the cake. [face_love] I also loved the tidbit about Nyota's parents - how very them. [face_laugh][face_love] It was more than understandable that she would feel nostalgic being so far away from home - but, she has Spock. [face_love]

A wonderful glimpse at their developing relationship. =D=[:D]

15. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    the first I love you, very sweet with her thoughts about her parents and the rose:*

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    My first I love you comes right before he goes off on a landing team. This mission is no more fraught than many others, but I spontaneously utter those words ...

I smiled then, and added: "Don't feel pressured to say them back. It's just something I needed to say and for you to hear."

This made me grin from ear to ear. I love it!

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Replies

Mira-- Thanks. I love this pivotal moment in relationships, especially between these two. [face_love]

earlybird-obi-wan--Sweet aren't they?

Nat--thanks. Ny's line was inspired by a similar line in another ff. Sweet trusting patience. You'll tell me when you're ready and 'I know.' [face_laugh] ;)

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    The Dalarans were struck by time discrepancies - not by much, a standard day here and there, a little detail or three. They saw this when comparing historic/contemporary archives and news releases. The cause of the unsealing of the parallel path had been a juxtaposition of a solar flare and a magnetic repolarization around Dalara V.

The scientists were able to seal off the problematic nodes and to iimplement failsafes against such occurring again.

They were grateful for the Enterprise's assistance in these technicalities.

"Will the other time stream or variant or whatever disappear?" Jenna asked Nyota who had been perusing the archival records with keen attention and particularly the other Uhura's personal logs.

Nyota grinned. "It doesn't seem so." She said softly, remembering other experiences with 'mirrors.' Thankfully, this one was not so dire or sinister.

"Looks like in any time and space you guys somehow wind up together." Jenna chuckled.

Nyota smiled. "Some things are just destined."

The adventures the crew encountered on a consistent basis seemed to never disappoint in the unique department. The personal realization that her love choices had been practically identical had thrilled her.

She and Spock were in the observation lounge relaxing on one of the long couches.

Nyota shared her earlier conversation with Jenna - with elation.

Spock had no comment on the matter, verbally. But across their bond, he caressed her gently and sent: /It appears the undeniable logic of you and I even pertains in divergent streams of probability./

She snuggled closer. /Which just validates my choice of you in this time and place./ She answered adoringly.

The starscape merged into panoramic warp patterns and she gazed at the viewport, mesmerized until her love captured her attention decisively.

Fini

+++++++

earlybird-obi-wan

Mira_Jade

19. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Ny - This story warmed me up inside :) [face_love] :*

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Yayness! [face_love] :*

21. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I have to echo Hazel here - there is no better way to sum up the ending for me. This was a lovely, soft resolution - and their 'rightness' for each other was proved infinitely true in any context. Destined, indeed! [face_love]

[:D]=D=

22. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    In every time and space and universe Spock and Uhura are one and together. Destined for each other yes[face_dancing]

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks all. And gorgeously put. Siggy-worthy besides being true. :D