main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph “Let's Fly!” - Star Trek: Discovery [Paramount+/Netflix/CraveTV]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Scott Mantz, a producer and - looking at his imdb - huge Trek fan tweeted that filming began on Tuesday.

So how long before production gets shut down?

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

[​IMG]

3. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    a little bit of a starfleet jacket and some ship stuff in here:

DaddlerTheDalek and jabberwalkie like this.
  4. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Oh? [face_thinking]

*prays that is the new ship model and that the one from the teaser isn't going to be the ship for the show*

5. slidewhistle

Jul 24, 2015
    There's a bunch of pics of the one from the teaser at 0:35. The other ship looks like the classic secondary ship with its underslung nacelles.

6. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Well that teaser got me pumped once again. Quite like the new uniforms :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Isn't available here.

8. slidewhistle

Jul 24, 2015
    try reversing the polarity

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Exactly my point. ;)

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Some screencap highlights from trekcore:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That wireframe ship looks like a combination of a Centaur-class (DS9) and the USS Titan (EU/fan film).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    The2ndQuest

The wire frame saucer section reminds me vaguely of one of the ships from STO, but I can't remember the class name. It was one of the variants of the Akira class.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, the wireframe ship has the split-catamarans trait of the warship classes the Akira-class was among and later reused on the NX-class, which is what made me think of the TItan/Luna-class (since it also shares some of that warship-era design aesthetic).

But, in this case, I imagine it's meant to be a throwback to the NX's use of that design characteristic (although the "wide oval" shape of the saucer is more Akira/Galaxy than the round oval of the NX/Centaur/Excelsior/Constitution or the "narrow oval" of the Sovereign/Luna).

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    That youtube video is only available in the US. (Or at least not in Canada, I suspect since Bell Media paid for DSC then they'd have to run it) But check out the Star Trek Discovery FB page or the Star Trek Discovery twitter feed for it.

The ship isn't gold anymore, huzzah! and the shoulder-patch flare from ENT / Kelvin (and what defined the TNG era) is back. The pointy alien costume outfit for some reason reminds me of the Xindi or the Hirogen. Or maybe they're new. Or maybe the DSC era Klingons wore pointy stuff.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Even though I would think that those are for new aliens, I could see them working as TOS-era Cardassian uniforms. There are a lot of similarities- the triangle chest, the shoulder lines that could accentuate neck ridges, they like pointy designs, etc. Not sure if that works with the continuity of their past interactions with the federation, however.

15. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I don't think it was ever specified when the First Contact between the Federation and the Cardassians happened. I looked up the Cardassian history on Memory Alpha. They were capable of Interstellar travel in the mid-22nd century, because the Organians mentioned them in "ENT: Observer Effect". And I believe there was a dead Cardassian in that repair station in "ENT: Dead Stop".
    And one Cardassian poet lived on Vulcan in exile in the first half of the 23rd Century, as mentioned in "DS9: Destiny".
    So I think it's possible that the Federation knew the Cardassians in the Pike/Kirk-era, but that serious conflicts only arose in the 24th century ("Stargazer"-era).

16. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    New Ships, New Uniforms, New Aliens (I think). Huzzah!

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm totally okay if this show is way more new aliens than not (although since they already cast a trio of Klingons and a Vlucan maybe that is the most major Trek-verse crossover) although setting it so close to Kirk's command is gonna make my Trek continuity addled brain possibly short circuit, like, multiple times an episode.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So the pointy alien suit we were talking about is

They're Klingons!

http://trekmovie.com/2017/02/11/bre...klingons-from-the-set-of-star-trek-discovery/

[​IMG]

Lookin' freaky. Okay, fine, once again my continuity brain is going explodey due to the Augment virus / TOS smooth headed Klingons and this is set in the Prime timeline (like I said, that'll happen alot) but, sure, there will probably be a throwaway line taking care of that so, yeah, freaky looking Klingons!

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Klingons? I really hope that's misinformation. On the level of "Cumberbatch isn't Khan" misinformation. Except this time it would be good news.

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Unless the actor who posted it is part of a CBS All Access disinformation campaign (or they didn't know what species they were playing), I'd wager it's legit.

21. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    They look closer to Jem Hadar.

22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I was thinking Hirogen. And that is not a compliment, Hirogen are one of the least original ideas in all of Voyager. Which is saying something.

Juliet316 likes this.
  23. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    am I right in thinking this show is based on Abrams Trek? either way It looks great so far cant wait! All I have TV wise is Xfinity Cable and Netflix, will this be a problem watching it? Will I be able to watch It?

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

If you have Netflix and don't live in North America, yes you totally can watch it on Netflix. If you live in Canada, you need CraveTV, if you live in the US, you need CBS All Access. But the pilot episode will air on CBS / CTV broadcast.

It actually isn't based on Abrams Star Trek, although I'm sure some stylistic influences will pop up. But right now the show is set in the original, "Prime", universe and 10 years before Kirk took command of the Enterprise.

25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The Klingons look like the Abramsverse Klingons from what I remember, though, yes, it's in the "Prime" universe.

I don't mind lack of makeup continuity with a show from the 1960s, but I don't like the look of the Klingons. I think DS9-style Klingons would have been fine.

Sarge likes this.