main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph “Let's Fly!” - Star Trek: Discovery [Paramount+/Netflix/CraveTV]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    They do, but they're still very different. It's supposed to take place at the same time as the Cage. I could see them being different if it was a few years before, but not the same year. Plus they shouldn't have the Enterprise logo on it. It just seems like the producers aren't paying attention. Or don't care.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I might. It's like $6 a month with commercials. Of course, I'd cancel it once Discovery's season is over and I have no expectation that All Access will survive.

3. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    I have a history of getting into relationships for the wrong reasons and then having a terrible time calling it quits. Still have buyer's remorse for subscribing to HBO over GoT, though Last Week Tonight makes me feel a bit better. Hulu was a messy divorce. Can't do this CBS thing when I already know how quickly the romance is going to fade.

BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  4. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I see illegal downloading in the future.

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I have Kodi ready to go.

And if I was going to go for All Access, it would be after they are all out, then they'd get binged, and All Access cancelled.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  6. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I will definitely get All Access for the what, 3-4 months it'll air? I hope that sends the adequate message that I like Star Trek but don't give a rip about the format it's on.

Darth Guy and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  7. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    And if you really squint, Trump looks a bit like Superman.

Those uniforms are nothing like the Cage uniforms, not in any meaningful way. The new uniforms have more gold braiding than the TOS dress uniforms, and in fact look more like a development of Star Trek: The Motion Picture's uniforms. They've just done their own thing instead of trying to keep to the premise they set out with. It's not a deal-breaker but it is irritating.

jabberwalkie, Sarge and MrMojoRisin like this.
  8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    If there wasn't the shot of Baby Burnham in there with Sarek, I might have thought that the big twist was the Shenzhou is from the future, given the unis, and Burnham ends up in the past and serving aboard the Discovery to try and prevent something from happening in the future (whilst still preserving the timeline)...

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Sadly I think your right.

Im not against seeing a return to the 23rd century, but setting it only 10 years before TOS was not the brightest idea.

Put the series in a time that Kirk isn't alive yet, 40 or 50 years before TOS. Returning to prime 23rd while presenting a very early period within it that hasn't been explored yet.

10. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    No, I think CBS is being foolish with creating this streaming service now. It's too late!

MrMojoRisin likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Worf in DS9 drops a reference to the TOS-Klingons looking different saying "We do not discuss it with outsiders." The Klingons, as seen in Enterprise, looked like the TMP/TNG era Klingons we all know and love. then there was a virus and things happened which changed their appearance. I've personally No Prized that the "Augment Virus" is what causes the difference in appearance in Star Trek Into Darkness and now these fellas. Don't be mucking about with genetic engineering, you Klingons! (They obviously push things to the extreme considering they blew up one of their own moons in a mining accident).

Dahh! you realize now this is going to be in my head the ENTIRE time until we get more confirmation as to the plot (probably comic con). Hey, maybe Burham is Future Guy from Enterprise! I need closure on that anecdote!

Although Burnham does seem to be the one talking to Sarek in the trailer, I got the impression he was a father figure to her "You will never master Vulcan, your tounge is too human." Hey we get to hear the Vulcan language maybe, barely hear it in any of the series or the movies. (I think the story goes they got an official language for Vulcan together for TMP, and everyone kinda shrugged, but the Klingon language really took off)

Darth Caliban likes this.
  12. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    They'll likely do what they did with another All - Access series this last year The Good Life (the spinoff to The Good Wife) and air the first episode on CBS proper to get people hooked enough to subscribe to All - Access to view the rest of Discovery on there.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    They are airing the pilot on CBS.

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker likes this.
  14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Where are they airing the rest of the crew?

Sarge, jp-30, Darth Guy and 3 others like this.
  15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Starz.

16. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
  17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You know, for me the Klingons ever changing look is a bigger deal than the uniforms.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think the producers know there's no way they're making a modern series with Cage turtleneck sweater uniforms. But squinting the turtlenecks into high collars and taking the formal and away Cage uniform designs and merging them with ENT blue was a decent way of nodding to their origins.

And the Enterprise logo is no longer the Enterprise logo- the Kelvin had it before the timeline split. and, IIRC, there's at least one instance of non-Enterprise crew using Enterprise logos in TOS, which leads to speculation that it is a specific fleet logo not a specific ship logo (since it's never stated on screen to be either). Even though, real-world, its probably the same reason why TNG uniforms filled out the background and support characters on DS9 for the first season or why Season 1 TNG uniforms did the same for TNG after they updated the uniforms.

The basic lines are the same to the non-main Cage uniforms, if you ignore the color scheme. The braiding matters the least- those are small details that could easily be dropped between variations/evolutions of the uniform towards TOS, same as the shoulder/nexk piping on the TNG season 1 uniforms.

Depends on time and funds- i may wait until a few episodes are available first before subscribing.

19. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    IIRC in TOS each insignia were supposed to represent different ships, per Gene's wishes. I don't know about The Motion Picture (I haven't watched it since Stephen Collins admitted on tape that he had sex with underage girls), but I believe by the time the other films came out (and most certainly when TNG bowed), the Enterprise insignia was made the official Starfleet/Federation insignia.

Sarge likes this.
  20. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Doing some more research, apparently it's actually the reverse: Roddenberry wanted all Starfleet personnel to wear the "Enterprise" delta symbol (and this was confirmed through a memo from the associate producer sent to the costuming department at the time). This is why TOS shows non-Enterprise crew in Court Martial (and as far back as The Cage) wearing the delta symbol- they were intentionally establishing tat Starfleet uses that symbol uniformly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

However, there was apparently a misunderstanding about this concept so some examples of non-Delta symbols slipped into the show (and this is what the memo in question was addressing). The memo also stated that they didn't want to cause any further confusion and specified that no actions should be taken to address the mix-up with the current examples (they were filming The Omega Glory at the time, apparently) but to use the delta from that point onwards. This is why, later in the series, the dead crew of the Defiant in The Tholian Web have the delta symbol.

[​IMG]

Amusingly, since folks took the delta=Enterprise idea to heart in the interim decades, when ENT did A Mirror Darkly, they actually reversed the original intention and "corrected" the "mistake" by giving the dead Defiant crew their own insignia.
    [​IMG]

Since then, of course, we have things like the Kelvin and Franklin (both are pre-timeline split ships) using the delta (as well as any post-TMP sources) so now the canon answer about the "Enterprise logo" is that it was always the Starfleet insignia and the other symbols we saw used on TOS probably mean something else (Decker was a Commodore, so, again, it returns us the "it represents a fleet" speculation).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So we're definitely getting Discovery this year (they wouldn't put out a trailer that says "FALL!" straight up on it) one is left to speculate exactly WHEN we'll get it. I highly doubt September, CBS wouldn't really want it cluttering up with the new season launches across the networks. So I would wager CBS will air the pilot episode in November for a big sweeps 2-hour TV movie. And I would also wager, if anything, the pilot episode on CBS will get hella ratings. If anything, people check out the first episode of a new Star Trek series. I would think they'd CBS have Big Bang Theory at 8 or 8:30 to hype up (and draw eyeballs from the big audience BBT gets) and then Discovery pilot ep from 9:00 PM to 11 PM.

So, if anything, for 2 hours at some point this year, Trek will rule the airwaves on regular ole TV. At least there's that!

As for the lens-flare / slick look, I believe it's an intentional decision to emulate the look of the Kelvin films to grab casual audiences for at least a peek. "Hey, they're doing that on TV! Neat!" And pilot episodes are usually the prettiest / most expensive episodes anyway.

22. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    That article isn't very good. It just mentions fan speculation.
    They also say that the Discovery Klingons have smooth foreheads (which isn't true, they have rigged foreheads, just not TNG-style, but rather Kelvin-style) and that TOS is set in 2364.

23. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    It's interesting that the name of the Klingon leader sounds similar to Kitumba, the one that was supposed to be introduced in the planned Phase 2 series.

Maybe there is a connection.

Another thought: With the Klingon Sarcophagus, i can't help but think that the Klingon Storyline in the new series is connected to the original Kahless. We never really learnt what happened with him and it was said before that at earlier times in Klingon History they mummified their dead, while for modern Klingons it is irrelevant what happens to their corpses.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G530FZ mit Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    You're killing me here, Questy. "The basic lines are the same"? What do you mean by this?

The non-main Cage uniforms that you have pointed to are "the formal", which has a turtle-neck with a V-neck pullover over the top (it is not a jacket); the only similarity with the new uniforms are the gold-braid shoulder flashes. There is gold braid piping round the V-neck in the Cage uniform, while the new uniforms don't have a V-neck but have a jacket with a high (and what appears non-symmetrical) collar. The new uniforms have a "slimming" gold foil design unlike absolutely anything in The Cage (and this is not like the tiny piping that got removed from the TNG uniforms, this is a major feature that immediately catches the eye and is perhaps the most distinctive feature of the new uniforms), and they lack the rank stripes around the sleeves. And of course the trousers have gold decoration that runs down the sides of the legs, unlike The Cage uniform which sticks to the traditional black (or charcoal grey) slacks.

The "away" jacket from the Cage is completely different to the new uniforms, having a non-symmetrical fastening and no decoration aside from a single silver band on each sleeve.

The Discovery uniforms are not like any combination of uniforms from The Cage, even when you mix-n-match them. The creative team obviously didn't like the styles of The Cage and TOS uniforms and chose to completely ignore them.

25. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    they do all have sleeves, that's clearly a link

BigAl6ft6, Darth Guy, Sarge and 2 others like this.