main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph “Let's Fly!” - Star Trek: Discovery [Paramount+/Netflix/CraveTV]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I don't see any similarities personally.

2. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah. Totally no resemblance. Aside from the colors blue and gold being used, but not even the same shades. The only place I've seen uniforms vaguely like the ones in the trailer is in Star Trek Online.

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Am I the only one perfectly fine with TOS uniforms not making a comeback?

Diggy likes this.
  4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Nope. I'm also fine with there being good acting and effects.

PCCViking and Lord Vivec like this.
  5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't care much about the uniforms. I care about the dumb Dutch angles.

6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

Have you forgotten the way the TOS uniform looked on Jadzia Dax? [face_love]

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Now, obviously that is just a quick and dirty mock-up, but, like I said, there are some similar lines to be found once you accommodate for the ENT/Kelvin blue, the high/turtle collar and the absence of the gold piping (a detail found on the formal uniform which, yes, doesn't have a direct visual connection but does show that to be a contemporous detail) and the shoulder details) and the fact that the away jackets are fatter.

I'm not saying the production didn't just decide to do their own thing because they didn't like the Cage uniforms, that's obvious. Just that there are some general lines there to make some form of lineage from ENT to Franklin to Discovery to Cage to Kirk.

8. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I absolutely love the look of the teaser! looks more JJ Trek then TNG very cinematic and I am perfectly fine with that! I brought up last year that it was based on Abrams Trek and not many agreed with me on here;)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So after a view viewings of the trailer, I noticed the Klingon sarcophagus shot and then, a few seconds later, there's a shot of the Klingons howling in the air. Which is totally one of them Klingon Death Ritual Screaming Thingies. So I'm fairly certain that there's going to be at least a sprinkling of Trek continuity in the series, even though visually it looks like they just took the J.J. Abrams movies and made them for TV. Actually, watching the trailer, there's a shot where they magnify something on the screen which is totally out of the Abrams flicks. So, yes, it's set 10 years before TOS but doesn't look like TOS at all. I can deal. I'm pretty sure they know the continuity. I mean, Sarek is in the trailer! Sarek!! Basically I think visually they're trying to look like the Bad Robot films but plot and timeline-wise, they're fitting it in the TOS era.

This is why the Temporal Cold War on Enterprise was actually kind of ingenious. Any continuity problems? Temporal Cold War! I kind of expect something like this to happen here too.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  10. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

Abrams Trek was a lot like Star Wars because like us Abrams is a big Star Wars Fanboy that's what I loved about Abrams Trek much more cinematic Trek lost its way with TNG, Deep Space 9, and Voyager it became a soap opera and not a good one, one like As The World Turns...

where as Abrams Trek is more like a classic like Billy Clyde Tuggle and All My Children, heck Billy Clyde Tuggle made it into a Jimmy Buffet song!

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Making one franchise like another doesn't mean it's better for the converted franchise.

And TNG/DS9/VOY weren't cinematic while TOS was? What? That's when the TV series began to become more cinematic and were actually able to show us what was happening instead of just telling us. DS9 still has the largest scale space battles of the entire franchise and VOY had literal telefilm events that it became most known for.

DaddlerTheDalek, TX-20, Sarge and 3 others like this.
  12. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

saying TOS stinks or is no good, not saying you are saying that but discrediting TOS Is like saying you cant stand Star Wars OT with Out the OT you don't have star wars, its that simple, with out TOS you don't have any Star Trek its iconic not cinematic!

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You were the one saying it became less cinematic after TOS. TOS may be iconic and groundbreaking but, simply due to the production and technological limitations of the time, it wasn't very cinematic (again, having to rely more on telling than showing). That was a quality not achieved until the subsequent shows (outside of the actual films themselves, obviously).

Darth_Voider likes this.
  14. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Right.

TOS is iconic, but let's not forget that, while there were some real classics in TOS like "The City on the Edge of Forever" or "Trouble with Tribbles", there were also some real stinkers as well ("Spocks Brain", "And the children shall lead" etc.) as well as many average episodes. The same is true for TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, the cinematic movies and it will also apply to Discovery. To put TOS on a pedestal while talking about the other shows like they were trash doesn't line up with reality.

15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    tidbits from Trekmovie

Rainn Willson's Harry Mudd is going to be in more than one episode. Which is good, I dig swindlers in Trek

http://trekmovie.com/2017/05/25/rai...more-than-one-episode-of-star-trek-discovery/

Also I found this bit interesting, his episode is written by TNG-era Trek vet Joe Menosky. Pretty decent roster of episodes too he has:

Joe Menosky joining the Discovery team was first revealed here at TrekMovie last June. Menosky has true Trek cred, and the most Trek experience of any of the writers or producers who have been tapped for the show. He started on Star Trek: The Next Generation, where he was a story editor and producer, and wrote some of the show’s classics, like “First Contact,” “Time’s Arrow,” and “Darmok.” (Of course he’s also responsible for “Masks,” but everyone has their off days.) He wrote a handful of Deep Space Nine episodes, then came back full force for Voyager, serving as a producer and writing or co-writing 36 episodes, including the memorable two-parters “Future’s End,” “Equinox,” and “Year of Hell.” He has has been a part of Trek’s evolution since 1990, and for the record, was the one who started putting the number 47 into scripts.

Also Trekmovie has analysis of the trailer up but I found this bit interesting because Trekmovie isn't much for idle speculation so maybe this is legit that the Klingons might be "ancient" Klingons or a splinter group, which could be why they would be so different from the TOS era (and even the TNG era)

http://trekmovie.com/2017/05/23/edi...keaways-from-the-star-trek-discovery-trailer/

The Klingons on this ‘sarcophagus ship’ led by T’Kuvma seem less like bloodthirsty warriors and more like a religious cult. It has been speculated that they may not even be what we consider contemporary of that era, but some kind of ‘ancient Klingons.’ Star Trek has always reshaped the Klingons to reflect the times–the real times of production, not just the in-story timelines. In the 1960s, they were villainous stand-ins for the Soviet Cold War foes. When Star Trek: The Next Generation arrived in the era of Glasnost, they were transformed into allies, and later fleshed out to be a sort of cross between Vikings and Samurai. Honor and family were their highest values, and they had the ability to connect with other cultures.
    So perhaps these Klingons, too, will reflect our current era. This time they will be morphed to fit with heightened international tensions, or could be there to reflect either the fight against fanatical ideologies or the determination of some to understand those who are so completely alien to us in their way of thinking. Are they enemies? Are they misunderstood? Will they understand our world? A new spin on Klingons for a new era may just work.

16. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    My theory is that T'Kumva is either an descendant of Kahless, Morath or Molor and a religious cult leader who tries to overthrow the Klingon goverment and change Klingon society to what it was like in ancient times.

Maybe these things will lead to the four years war with the Federation.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G530FZ mit Tapatalk

Jedi Merkurian and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    http://trekmovie.com/2017/05/26/william-shatner-weighs-in-on-star-trek-discovery-and-canon/

Shatner weighs in on canon! And griping thereabouts of Discovery's look. Basically, chill out.

I just love how frazzled some of you get about canon. It’s a show and they are doing a prequel to something that was made 50 years ago. Star Trek was always more about the stories and messaging than the look. If they screw that up; roast em alive and kick em in the you know what! If they don’t; then enjoy it. Kirk out!

I will admit I do find it really weird that there's probably better odds on Shatner showing up in Seth McFarlane's "Star trek show" The Orville than the actual honest to God Star Trek: Discovery but, hey whaddya gonna do.

Y'know what? Just put the man back in the Captain's chair anyway, somehow. He's 86 and still working! There has to be a way, it's freakin' Star Trek. His acting style arguably now is even a tad different that when he was in Generations so it would be interesting to see how he would be Kirk again.

(also deciding to kill him off in Generations, yikes! While, oddly, I think it works thematically in that story, Generations is really about death, why would they make a movie wherein death and Kirk's death is the starting point? Did the TNG cast literally have to throw dirt on the TOS? But there's a bunch of stuff I like in Generations. What can I say, just like Data I have conflicting emotions about that movie. Unlike First Contact which I absolutely love every frame.)

18. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Plus people forget (or are watch and don't even realize), not even the original series was exactly circumspect with it's own canon during it's three season run.

19. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Wasn't Star Trek: Generations notorious for mixing up the uniforms where you'd have half in early DS9 uniforms and the other in the TNG uniforms? I think some cast members even wore a mix of the two throughout the film.

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I view that time period as a power struggle between the Uniform Corps of Starfleet. Wasn't as smooth as the transition from the S1-S2 uniforms (which still popped up in the background later on). The memos were probably flying from that division!

21. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm sure that had Enterprise progressed for a further three seasons, you would have seen changes to the uniforms. The MACO were kind of a step in that direction in so far as having established a new branch of Starfleet that had their own look and modus operandi.

Darth Caliban and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    IRL, uniforms are phased in and out over time. I saw different uniforms simultaneously plenty of times when I was in the Air Force: fatigues, BDUs, at least 3 different desert uniforms, and dress uniforms changed too. Supply stops stocking the old style and starts bringing in the new style, the old ones eventually wear out and go away, and are slowly replaced by the new ones, and there's usually at least a couple years of overlap. So to me, seeing different Trek uniforms worn by one crew made it more realistic.

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    As a star war said, there aren't supply problems in a society that can make almost anything in an instant using a virtually inexhaustible supply of energy.

The reason Generations had the uniform mishmash is because they were going to design a more "cinematic" uniform but it was kinda ugly so it didn't pan out (there's concept art and tests out there). They didn't have time for another new uniform, so we have Jonathan Frakes literally wearing Avery Brooks' costume.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Did a quick google and I do remember seeing these, kinda snazzy, basically the TNG uniforms with the wrist / chest jacket flap thing bit from the TWOK in there

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hey the Discovery outfit has the chest flap zipper thingie too!

[​IMG]

Although the Discovery uniform definitely recall the NX-01 Enterprise uniforms more

[​IMG]

Although it Discovery it looks like it's slightly off to the left (like the TWOK uniforms) as opposed to ENT which was a straight up zipper down the middle. (might be the angle, though)

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I guess humanity hasn't developed the magic, seamless zippers of the 24th century (Ensign Ro) yet.

BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.