main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph “Let's Fly!” - Star Trek: Discovery [Paramount+/Netflix/CraveTV]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So about them Klingons --

http://ew.com/tv/2017/07/17/star-trek-discovery-klingons-photo/

But the big question online that fans keep asking: Why did producers redesign the look of the Klingons?
    Showrunner Aaron Harberts noted that original series showrunner Bryan Fuller was an advocate of updating the look of the Klingons and was involved in the redesign — and that the look of the Klingons has frequently changed over the franchise’s 52 years.
    “In the different versions of Trek, the Klingons have never been completely consistent,” Harberts said. “We will introduce several different houses with different styles. Hopefully, fans will become more invested in the characters than worried about the redesign.”

I'm going to say I will make peace with the TOS-era continuity glitches, especially the visual dynamic and alien differences, that will probably drive me nuts. Heck, some people still say Enterprise completely violated pre-TOS continuity anyway.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  2. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Definitely a hollow ring in that saucer.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  4. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I quite like the design :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That's a gorgeous poster!

And I must say that I like the design of the saucer.

6. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm gradually warming to the ship design.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I still don't like it. It looks like it's trying too hard to be different, and it doesn't make any sense, even in Trek terms. What's the point of a gap in the saucer?

KissMeImARebel likes this.
  8. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005

I have to agree. Although, I would point out that they've done the saucer gap before...

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    "Prepare for Saucer Separation Saucer Separation! %&$# just got real!!"

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Guys, the hole is obviously to make the space ship more aerodynamic!

11. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    That's not a Starfleet vessel - the windows are the wrong size.

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    [​IMG]

13. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    folks, this wild ride just got wilder, there is a second hole around the central ball

BigAl6ft6 and Jedi Daniel like this.
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Good eye- it kinda has that Daedalus/Olympic-class ball in the middle, a gap, then the inner ring, a gap and then the outer ring.

It's peculiar- but then the outer ring seems like it has those landing gear arrows that the OG Enterprise had and they're aligned with some of the connection struts between rings, so I can't help but return to some sort of saucer separation functionality.

Like, maybe the outer ring detached leaving the inner ring and ball, or both rings separate as one, leaving the ball atop the Vengeance-like neck. But the latter wouldn't explain the outer gap (though the one rear-ish strut clearly has red on it- could it be some kind of funky impulse engine for the separated saucer?).

It's also worth noting is that the original design that we saw last year in the ship concept teaser con video had Franklin-style grill plating where those ring gaps are now, which leaves two possibilities:

1) The teaser video design, as we know, was hastily assembled to get done in time for the reveal, so it's possible that the grill plating was substituted for the gaps to make the modeling process simpler for the purposes of that teaser while evoking the general aesthetic of the darker lines within the saucer.

This would suggest the functionality was always planned and we might find out what that is early on in the series.

2) The ring gap functionality (or the aesthetic itself) wasn't developed until deeper into the production and, as such, we probably won't see their purpose utilized on screen until later on into the season at the earliest.

15. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Gaps in the hull!!

[​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The ball in the middle instead of being the bridge is the Captain's Yacht. "T'hell with you folks, I'm getting outta here!" *detaches, goes on a bender for 5 days on Risa*

That's why they phased out that particular design real quick.

MrMojoRisin likes this.
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Comic-Con trailer!

And that "new way to fly" ship is the first TOS-era-looking craft we've seen from this show so far, and that she actually might be the Discovery?. And is it me, or do the Klingons look more Klingon-like than they did in previous trailers? CG makeup enhancements/corrections?

And on the other side of space, Charlize Theron will be taking her second TV guest starring role ever on Orville.

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So...

The main (human) character is Spock's adoptive sister. They promise they'll address why she's never mentioned...

19. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I'm confused, where will this be available on Netflix, pretty much everywhere except the US?

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    US will be CBSAA only. CA will be CraveRV for streaming plus Space I believe. Everywhere else will be Netflix.

21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The trailer does not fill me with confidence. It's very Abramsesque-- or should I say Kurtzmanesque. Hopefully the actual show isn't so reliant on action.

Sarge likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Harry Mudd, goddamnit!!!!!

I will admit to being a Rain Willson fan (Heck, I saw The Rocker! In theaters!) and Harry Mudd is also a favourite from TOS. So I'm totally okay if Mudd shows up a lot. Maybe not as a weekly castmember (sometimes with characters like Troi, Quark and Neelix they kinda struggled to fit them in every week) but hopefully he's in it a bunch.

Probably as much as Sybock is mentioned as Spock's half brother. Spock does seem particularly prickly when it comes to his family anyway. Heck, he almost let his dad die cuz he didn't want to give him a blood transfusion!

23. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
  24. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Show looks cool. But I honestly don't think I can get into it...

25. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Pretty cool trailer!