main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph “Let's Fly!” - Star Trek: Discovery [Paramount+/Netflix/CraveTV]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    [​IMG]

I agree with Worf.

[​IMG]

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    More details on setting, content and Klingons.

Goldsman: “You will find this to be far more than serialized than DS9 even in its last two seasons. So this is by far, let me amend it, the most serialized version of Star Trek that has ever existed, and as such, it’s longform character storytelling. Without conflict, there is no longform character storytelling.”

Obviously, there’s a tremendous amount of conflict in TOS and there’s a lot of, sort of, aspirations towards the ideals of the Federation, and then we sort of made the prime directive just to break it, apparently. So part of what we’ve tried to do is speak to how those philosophical precepts came to be.

So it is entirely the outcome role of the show to arrive at the principles, the utopian principles that I think are endemic to Star Trek and at the same time not to suggest that doing that is simple or easy. But you can’t simply be accepting and tolerant without working for it, and so this show is about that struggle. You’ll tell us whether we succeeded, but the outcome is always to earn the philosophy rather than present it as a fait accompli.

We are in a section of canon that has been referred to a lot. There is a lot of speculation about it. We are considering the novels not to be canon, but we are aware of them. And, we are going to cross paths with components that Trek fans are familiar with, but it is its own standalone story with its own characters and its own unique vision of Trek.
    There’s a period where our contact with the Klingons is nebulous. We are trying to view the idea of the creation of the Neutral Zone as something that was sufficiently inexact that we can now fill in how we got there. Our story of the Klingon War is our season one.

Aaron Harberts and Gretchen J. Berg (showrunners):Every writer’s impulse when you get to work on the streaming shows with no parameters is to go crazy. But then you look at things like: How does nudity play on Trek? Eh, it feels weird. How does a lot of [profanity] on Trek? Not so great. Are there moments where it merits it that we’re trying to push here and there? I would say we’re trying to push more by having the type of complicated messed-up characters who aren’t necessarily embraced on broadcast.

I’m not saying we’re not doing some violent things or doing a tiny bit of language. But what’s important to the creative team is the legacy of the show… We want to make sure we’re not creating a show that fans can’t share with their families. You have to honor what the franchise is. I would say we’re not going much beyond hard PG-13.”

One of the things [Bryan Fuller] really, really wanted to do was shake up the design of the Klingons. One of the first things that he ever pitched to us when we were deciding whether or not to come on the show was his aesthetic for the Klingons and how important it was that they be aesthete, that they not be the thugs of the universe, that they be sexy and vital and different from what had come before.

They drilled down in such a deep way to redundant pieces of anatomy, to the different plates on the head. We were in discussions that got so deep into biology and into sculpture. From the time that Neville [Page, creature designer] brought in the 3D printout into the writers’ room of the Klingon, that design really hasn’t changed.

The Klingon ship, the flagship of the Klingons, which you’ll see in some of the stills, that design, again, very important to Bryan, very hands-on, worked with Mark Worthington for months and months to get it right. We think that it’s unique, and we saw no reason to change his vision for those Klingons.”

More extensive comments can be found in this article as well.

The panel this info came from also played the opening title music for the firs time, apparently performed by a 60=piece orchestra (no Faith of the Heart-ype pop song, woo!) and runs about 1.5 minutes and will air before every episode.

Additionally, a pin has revealed the Shenzou's class as the Walker-class, named after an X-15 test pilot.

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I go to red alert when I read phrases like "its own unique vision of Trek."

4. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Totally understandable in the post-Abrams era, but to play devil's advocate: Consider how radical some of the previous incarnations of Trek which we now know and love must have initially seemed.

In TNG, they put a Klingon on the bridge, and for no obvious reason, he looked nothing like TOS Klingons. They even did a Season 1 episode in which he encounters old-timey Klingons and has to explain to them how much Klingon culture has changed over the past century.

In DS9, they worked in a religious arc with an ending that probably had Gene rolling over in his grave. At first, it looked like they were simply pointing out that a highly-evolved species like the Wormhole Aliens would appear god-like to more primitive species such as the Bajorans... but the discoveries that Sisko makes about them in Season 7 and Dukat's development into an anti-Christ figure are pretty clearly religious symbolism.

I'm choosing to remain (cautiously) optimistic.

5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Space channel in Canada put up the Star Trek Discovery trailer but WITHOUT the pop song instead traditional orchestral Trek music (which fits much better). And also a Space-branded Star Trek Discovery logo at the end.

6. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    But the Klingons had their new look with forehead ridges since TMP which came out in 1979, eight years prior to the premiere of TNG's pilot episode. They also appeared with ridges in SFS and TVH, so that look was nothing new to the fans once TNG aired. What was new was that there was a Klingon as an officer on the Enterprise.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    For my part I deeply dislike DS9 season 7's religious arc. Before the end of season 6 the Prophets were just aloof aliens and the Bajoran religion was mostly wrong about them. In season 7 not only were those things reversed, the Bajoran faith was made much more like real-world Abrahamic religions particularly Christianity. The pah-wraiths weren't even mentioned until season 6 and they played a big part in the series end. We didn't need evil anti-Prophets and we certainly didn't need Dukat as an anti-Emissary. Bleh.

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    If someone just says the word "Augment Virus" in relation to the new look of the Discovery era Klingons, or maybe they're a different sect or something, I'll give it a pass. It would only irk me if it's not mentioned. It took decades to explain the difference between the TOS Klingons and the TMP/TNG look, I certainly won't stand waiting that long this time!

Fuller knows his Trek and he pushed for the New Look Klingons so I'm assuming they baked a reason for the difference in appearance somewhere.

Also I'm assuming due to Burnham's actions with the Klingons in the pilot (I'd wager she screws up somehow) that leads to the creation of the Neutral Zone.

9. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    It didn't need an in-universe explanation and I would be glad if Discovery ignored it.

CT-867-5309 and Sarge like this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm too nerd OCD to let it slide and, to be fair, Star Trek in general explains stuff a lot.

11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    It's just the evolution of makeup over literally decades.

TX-20 likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I do not dispute that point, I just know I'm going to have several stress strokes per episode trying to mentally wrangle the entire series into TOS continuity.

Speaking of which, here's a Trekmovie editorial on "Why Spock had a sister that we never knew about" which, once again boils down to, "Spock be tight lipped." Oddly, I do fully buy that. Guy wasn't that warm!

http://trekmovie.com/2017/07/31/edi...tar-trek-discovery-is-not-that-big-of-a-deal/

Dark Lady Mara and Sarge like this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, they were introduced towards the beginning of season 5 in the episode where they possessed Keiko.

14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Oh right. It was still much later in the series after the Prophets and the religion were long established.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    True. Though digging through Memory-Alpha, their name apparently originates from a deleted line in a script for season 1's The Nagus (which first mentions the Fire Caves).

However, the name there was being applied to a different type of creature so it wasn't the same anti-Prophets concept- it just has finger prints going back that far.

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    If I remember correctly, the trailer for the series, and then the Pilot strongly suggested the main, overriding plot was going to be hunting down the orbs, even mentioning there were 9. How many did they end up with?

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Maybe 3? They definitely abandoned that line of thought early on.

TX-20 and Diggy like this.
  18. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Last count I'm fairly sure I heard distinctly on the air was that at least 6 orbs had been recovered.

Diggy likes this.
  19. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017

I fill fight you.

BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I actually like the song- just not as a theme song.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I actually like the song- just not as a theme song.

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It would have worked as an end credits theme for a TNG film, after playing the television version of the end credits theme from TMP.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Eaglemoss will be doing a DSC models line in 2018. This will be a separate subscription service from the main Official Starships Collection line as well as at a different scale than the main line- a scale closer to the specials from the main line.

Apparently there will be a lot of different ships in DSC, as the magazine expects to have enough craft to support one model every month (instead of paying for two smaller models each month, you get the one larger one for probably the same price). They'll also be direct from the actual FX models from the show.

Meanwhile, TrekYards has a nice fan rendering of the new ship next to the OG Connie:

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    This article does clarify the Klingon look, a bit from an actor, so the TNG look may still be in there. I would totally be okay if we saw TOS / TNG / DSC Klingons all battling and bickering with each other

http://trekmovie.com/2017/08/02/stl...r-trek-discovery-first-image-of-kol-revealed/
    Different houses – different Klingons

Mitchell got more specific about differences between the Klingon houses during the Q&A. A fan said he felt the Klingons on Discovery look too different from previous iterations and asked for reassurance that “we are not losing the Klingons we know and love.” Mitchell explained we have only seen some of the Klingons from Discovery:

The images that you have seen so far are one house led by T’Kumva. Today you just saw the first image of [Kol]. So even in the wardrobe it is starting to venture to the more traditional Klingons. More leather and a different set of armor. And the series itself is going to explore 24 different houses and the leaders among them. And you will find different complexities and different ideologies amongst those houses. And so what you have seen already in these images is mostly just from one house. You are going to start to explore further into the Klingons, and each of those houses has a different set of physical looks and variations as well as ideologies.

Also:

"God" exclamation is back in Star Trek Discovery! that sure was quick! Or just the reporter kind of having a hook to start the EW story where it originated from (which, to be fair, is a great way to open the article)

http://trekmovie.com/2017/08/03/tur...ry-jason-isaacs-is-looking-for-a-catchphrase/

The episode’s writer, Kirsten Beyer, approaches to give a correction on his “for God’s sakes” ad lib.
    “Wait, I can’t say ‘God’?” Isaacs asks, amused. “I thought I could say ‘God’ or ‘damn’ but not ‘goddamn.’ ”

Beyer explains that Star Trek is creator Gene Roddenberry’s vision of a science-driven 23rd-century future where religion basically no longer exists.

[Berg] confirmed the word “God” is, in fact, allowed on Star Trek: Discovery for religious and exclamation purposes.
    “In our room, it’s something we discuss a lot,” Berg said. “I don’t necessarily agree with [Isaacs’] quote. On a show about diversity and with different points of view, I feel like you have to accept that some people believe in God, some people want to worship a potato, and some people don’t want to believe in anything. I think there is room for that on Star Trek.”

In fact, she’s pretty sure it’s already been said in the new Trek show: “I think it’s actually been in this series quite a bit. They are allowed to say it [God]. God fits in the patchwork in everything that is represented by Star Trek.”

25. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Wait.

Didn't the original Enterprise have an actual chapel on-board?

Sarge likes this.