main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph “Let's Fly!” - Star Trek: Discovery [Paramount+/Netflix/CraveTV]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I read that and was thinking...how did I already know that. It was on the TV guide when I set the DVR yesterday.

I guess I didn't think to share it then. Or know it was an unknown.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Also a possibility that, with Fuller's influence trailing off as the series progresses, reviews could potentially be stronger out of the gate before trailing off.

3. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
  4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    pew pew pew punch punch boom kill

(Please prove me wrong, Discovery.)

True Sith and KnightWriter like this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I like all of the Star Trek movies from "is alright" shrug to I love every second of it. The bottom "alright" tier is Insurrection and Final Frontier. (I'd put Nemesis a notch above those) The top is Khan, First Contact and Star Trek.

Ranking the series is much more difficult because every Star Trek series has episodes that are fantastic. And awful. But the quality swing in each series is so wide that it's really difficult to apply a ranking. Cuz every one has episodes that are amazing Trek.

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    That makes two of us.

7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Space channel interview with Martin-Green but the real win is in the non-trailer clips spliced throughout (I'd say there's more clips than interview in here)

For Canadian viewers on Sunday at 8:30 the pilot episode is going to be simulcast on Space and CTV (and CBS, obviously). But only the 1st episode.

for the second, Nick Meyer penned episode, it's only Space. So just watch the whole thing on Space. Actually they're showing Star Trek movies all weekend all the way up to 8:30 it's Abrams first Star Trek (one of my favourites anyway). so basically just turn on Space on Sunday and don't turn it off until it's over.

Then at 10:30 they're showing a Big Bang Theory episode...uhm, okay. give me time to get something to eat and have a smoke again. Then from 11 PM to 1 AM they're running the two episodes again. Then 1 AM is the Talking Star Trek show or whatever it is.

Been waiting over a decade for episodic Trek back on TV. So damn straight I'm watching it twice.

TX-20 and KissMeImARebel like this.
  8. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
  9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm optimistic for the show, but I get suspicious when so many initial reaction all use the same "cinematic" description...

10. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm excited for the show but seeing that MA rating makes me wince.

11. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I know this may sound incredibly pretentious, but I would prefer "cerebral" for my Star Trek.

Juke Skywalker and Sarge like this.
  12. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Which Trek episodes were the cerebral ones?

TCF-1138 likes this.
  13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I've never found Trek to be cerebral. It's space adventure with some mostly heavy-handed philosophical themes, action, and (my favorite aspect of Trek) a big dose of optimism.

Darth Nerdling and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  14. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003

Spock's Brain

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005

I liked Spock's Brain. Did it make a lick of sense? No. But it was fun.

Sarge and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I think "cerebral" is the wrong term. But think of the best Trek episodes -- yes, some are suspenseful and have action, but there's also episodes such as "City on the Edge of Forever," "The Inner Light" and "Duet." Those are not "cinematic" in the sense that they would be major blockbusters, if the term has any real meaning at all. Even the action-oriented episodes have mostly talking and conflict other than the pew pew and the punching. Simply put, they have substance. What makes episodes such as BOBW good is not the action alone, otherwise we would also be raving about "Unimatrix Zero."

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I had recently commented about The Motion Picture (and bearing in mind it came out in 1979, so Star Wars, Logan's Run, etc. were all out) in that at no point does the Enterprise ever think to solve any problem with ship's weapons, except the asteroid. It was a nice change of pace... (too long a change of pace, but still!)

redxavier and The2ndQuest like this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    most Trek pilot episodes, "The Cage", "Encounter at Farpoint", "Where no Man Has Gone Before", "Emissary", "Caretaker" and "Broken Bow" definitely have large scale and the last 4 have a decent heap of action.

19. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Perhaps it's not the right word, but I don't think cerebral and action/adventure are mutually exclusive. It's more about planting the seeds of thought in the audience that aren't "yeah punch that Klingon" or "Fire all the lasers". Sometimes that has meant heavy-handed philosophical themes, on the nose moral lessons, or unsubtle societal allegories. I think most of the best Trek episodes are those that didn't just feature violence, but an understanding of some kind.

Sarge and Darth_Voider like this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Trekmovie has a whole bunch of blue carpet interviews, just to snip one, here's the Executive Producer about fitting Star Trek: Discovery after Star Trek: Enterprise (Enterprise, being a further back prequel, did a lot of groundwork that they have to abide by)

https://trekmovie.com/2017/09/22/ex...ar-trek-discovery-between-enterprise-and-tos/

Enterprise did a lot of scrambling and covering and patching up things, which I think worked for that show. It is hard to be in the middle between that show and TOS. [Discovery staff writer and “Keeper of the canon”] Kirsten Beyer will probably tell you the most arguments she and I have had are me saying “Wait, we can’t do that because of something on Enterprise?” But, we respect that. Enterprise is canon and it’s tough and it was a constantly shifting show.

21. DarthBane93

DarthBane93 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 11, 1999
    So tonight is the night. Best of luck to the pilot....waiting anxiously. [face_nail_biting]

BigAl6ft6 and TCF-1138 like this.
  22. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    I hate the fact that I have to subscribe and pay to see this series beyond the world premiere.
    Talk about a money mongering scheme that prays on fans passion for the series. Shame on you CBS!

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  23. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Opening credits.

TX-20, BigAl6ft6, Lord Vivec and 2 others like this.
  24. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Kinda boring but creative.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  25. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Idk I thought those were decent to good opening credits. I certainly enjoyed watching them more than DS9's, VOY's, and ENT's.

Darth Caliban likes this.