main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph “Let's Fly!” - Star Trek: Discovery [Paramount+/Netflix/CraveTV]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    All right I caved and bought a subscription. We'll see how my crummy laptop holds out.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    You know what i'm looking forward to tonight? Watching The Mind's Eye as part of my TNG re-watch.

Oh ok, of course...i'll be looking forward to Star Trek: Discovery too.....the comments section of Metacritic that is.

3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Well that was a weird episode. Way too aggressive. Not really selling me on paying $10 for CBS streaming so I'll pass on the series.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I liked it. But not subscribe-for-a-monthly-fee like it. It would be cheaper to just buy the dang thing, or use the one month free trial at the end of the season and binge it.

Ulicus and Mia Mesharad like this.
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It was okay, but I’m not paying to watch it.

I’m not even sure I’ll watch it for free.

6. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Liked the pilot, would watch the show, but not going to pay to watch it.

7. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    It was very good. The premise kind of reminds me, at leaast in a general sense, of the events that precipitated the Earth-Mimbari War in Babylon 5.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    2nd ep is when everything goes crazy, shoulda aired the two parts on CBS (but us Canadians got both) Opening title sequence is freakin emotional.

On again in an hour and a half! Remain Klingon!

TX-20 likes this.
  9. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    It was okay....I liked the second episode better than the first.

TX-20 likes this.
  10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I think it was a mistake to not at least air the second episode on TV. It was a promising start, however. It felt more Prime Trek than Kelvin Trek at least, even if it didn't look Prime. Gotta ignore trying to jam it into Prime visual/tech aesthetics completely but still. It'll be interesting to see how they retcon the cloaking tech history here.

Opening credits sequence is... ok, but really uninspiring and kinda boring. ENT had the whole history of aviation/exploration theme to hook you (so long as you stuck your fingers in your ears ;)) and DS9 had majesty and grace (VOY had that to a lesser degree too). I mean, at least it's more than just a ship flying by the camera over and over and over again- but then again, at least that is exciting once or twice. It's unique- I'd probably like it more if it changes every episode to reflect the tech and characters as the options evolve (since everything here seems to be just from the first episode).

Anyways, I'm still waiting until Jan/Feb to binge the whole season at once, so I'll just have to show patience until then.

Sarge likes this.
  11. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    I thought it was all right. I found the plot and character motives to be clunky (esp Burnham's mutiny). But it was just the pilot so I'm willing to give it another chance. I see potential there.

12. Triangulum

Triangulum Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2017
    After watching the first two episodes, I think I am going to give a month of this show a try.

What got me was this quote from the first brig scene:

Also, why do the Klingons have headridges? I thought this was going to be just some Klingon cult/inbreds that were able to avoid Klingon augment virus, but it seems that none of the leaders of any of the other houses were affected.

13. KissMeImARebel

Nov 25, 2003
    I think they're pretty much ignoring previous canon.

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I love how a significant chunk of the show is in Klingon with subtitles. It's sorta next level nerdy.

As for the difference in the Klingons, there' more than a few different Klingon houses out there and maybe the augment virus did different things to different Klingons. Anyway, that's what I'm going with.

DarthBane93 and Darth Caliban like this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Until Kor, Kang or Koloth show up with head ridges in this era, there'll always be some kind of work around, like the augment virus-affected soldiers were kept to certain ships, stations or positions within the empire, etc, etc.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Ah wait, so how does this work? Are we only getting the pilot as a freebie, and then after that we need to subscribe to see any more?

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Also: science nitpick, but Sarek wouldn't see a new star in the sky for probably millions of years...

Correct.

18. Triangulum

Triangulum Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2017
    Yes, I know some people are going to wait until the entire first season is out and then watch it. In the service's library, they have other show also (both currently airing shows and older shows including the previous Treks). With ads, each episode of Discovery comes out to about two bucks a piece (If you subscribe for the whole duration of the season).

19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I thought the first two episodes were pretty good. Not great, but pretty good. The main character is interesting, the plot has potential (though I would prefer a little less war, a little more exploring - but maybe we'll get that too), and I'm curious to see where it'll go.
    I'll keep watching it for now at least, that's for sure.

20. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I'm about halfway through the second episode, and I'm not enjoying this at all. The Klingon scenes are interminable, the main character is completely unlikable (as is the captain), the dialogue is stiff and the whole endeavour is totally devoid of humour. I appreciate that others are enjoying it, and I'm glad, but I'm just finding it too much of a slog.

Sarge and Point Given like this.
  21. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I liked it well enough and will continue to watch . . . but I absolutely wouldn't subscribe to a separate service just for this.

So, thanks UK Netflix, I suppose. :p

BigAl6ft6 and Rebel_Padawan like this.
  22. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

That was pretty much my reaction to Encounter at Farpoint, so let's hope it gets better.

23. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, Star Trek doesn't have a great track record when it comes to pilots. :p

24. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I saw the double-pilot....it was ok.

I like:
    - The production
    - Opening credits
    - Set and costume design
    - The overall look
    - The fact that the show does not have the Captain as its central protagonist

Not liking as much:
    - The cast (apart from Michelle Yeoh, the cast aren't really making an impression on me)
    - Unmemorable characters and moments
    - Predictable death of a certain character

In fact, it's possibly the least memorable Trek pilot i've seen.

I'll stick with the show since i'm a Trek fan and it's costing me nothing extra to watch. For now, it's competent but i'm not fully engrossed as I was in previous Trek pilots. But, again, i'm looking forward to seeing where Michael's journey takes us.

I suppose this episode...

...this serves more as a Prologue? Like an origin story and the real series, in terms of the crew, ship and overall journey begins next week?

Sarge likes this.
  25. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    DebonaireNerd, so you didn't like Lt.Saru? I thought he was kind of fun, considering that he's basically Abe Sapien in outer space.