main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph “Let's Fly!” - Star Trek: Discovery [Paramount+/Netflix/CraveTV]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I only guess because Data isn't technically a living creature like a biological orgasm, so would the Angels' defenses come into play?

2. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Hmm, guess it's too late for PCCViking here to edit his post.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The Klingons ate freakin' Captain Georgiou. I mean, AHHH!!! I was actually hedging on her somehow surviving and a deep dive into being in Klingon culture but, no, they freakin' ate her!!! I know the Klingons often go off about this and that about eating someone's heart but it seems just talk but, nope, they ate her! Dahhhh!!!

So, yeah, I'm not exactly enamoured or rooting for any of the Klingons now. They're nifty antagonists but I can't quite connect or sympathize them emotionally. cuz they ate Georgiou.

That aside, I did dig how the episode boiled down to a pretty classic Trek conundrum. They have the spore driving working which gives them much needed superiority in combat (Lorca putting the distress signal across the ship really sold the stakes) but they have to enslave a living creature to get it to work. And while it is still serialized, there was something wrapped up at the end with them figuring out how to get the drive to work properly.

Darth Downunder and TX-20 like this.
  4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I’m curious as to how the tardigrade got that big in the first place. The only time we’ve seen anything like was the microbes on Spock’s photon torpedo casing on the Genesis Planet in STIII.

5. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Klingon gotta eat.

Darth Caliban, TX-20 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't know if the Georgiou eating was A) they were running low on rations B) weird Klingon ritualistic vengeance thingie. Probably somewhere in between. But I'd bank it was more the latter.

TX-20 and Darth Caliban like this.
  7. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Well, if it is to believed that the latest incarnation of Klingons are Trump supporters then I guess they're just plain misogynists - female Klingons included.

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Random question I found brought up on the AV Club review: so someone went back to the battle of the binary starts debris field to snag Georgiou's telescope so Burnham could have emotional closure but left behind a bunch of sensitive Starfleet technology the Klingons could nab? 23rd Century humans really are emotionally enlightened!

And also, this sort of blasted by me but Kol is a part of the House of Kor

Also, hey, we have a name of those weird thingies sticking out of the back of Saru's head his "threat ganglia". Still kinda gross, though.

TX-20 likes this.
  9. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, I caught that too.

10. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Steroids.

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Couple of stats on the Discovery non-main crew.

[​IMG]

Keyla is my favourite even though she only had a couple of random helmsman lines she's great for reaction shots. Really hope she isn't randomly killed off. I wasn't sure if we had heard her The Discovery yet so maybe she speaks in bleeps and bloops now but she is talking when they first fired up the spore dirve

Also random shot of Stamets angrily squinting makes me laugh.

[​IMG]

Darth Downunder likes this.
  12. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Just wish that rank was easier to identify. Or is it just me? I think they should've used those metallic stripes on the uniforms.

13. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I noticed on second viewing that the characters have pips on their insignia. Seems to follow TNG/DS9/VOY conventions - First Officer Saru has three.

14. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, but its not as obvious. It would have been better if they had kept TOS’ convention of using gold braid or TNG/DS9/Voyager’s use of collar rank pips.

15. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Yeah, it's odd (my sentiment so far about most things Discovery).

16. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Episode was pretty good, aside from Mudd. I found him to be kind of meh, which is surprising. Star Trek is usually pretty good at trickster characters. Also not surprised at what happened to the tardigrade at the end of the episode.

Sarge likes this.
  17. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Best episode thus far. Each week we get added snippets of character from everyone. I would have liked it a bit sooner, but Discovery is continuing to show promise - it hasn't taken any back steps thus far.

18. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Thought this last episode 1x05 was a little on the boring side (the Klingon prison plotline just felt tired and cliche) but I liked the resolution of the tardigrade plot. Animal suffering/death is something I have a lot of difficulty watching and I'm glad it had a positive resolution -- that's the type of Star Trek I want to see.

Sarge, BigAl6ft6 and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  19. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah. I found Mudd to be kind of meh and Lorca leaving him on the Klingon prison ship was pretty cold. I did like that we got a little bit of backstory on Lorca, however, and I was waiting for the writers to short circuit the spore drive. Star Trek does that all the time.

Sarge likes this.
  20. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    This show is so ******* cool!

21. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm largely okay with the klingon redesign but I'm increasingly annoyed by the fact they're all bald.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Yeah, they look more like the Remans from Star Trek: Nemesis

[​IMG]

23. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Agreed. Thought it was great & probably the most "Trek" episode to date. Nice science angle to it. What did people think of the first ST f-bombs?

24. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Meh.

Sign of the times.

Even Skyfall dropped one.

25. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I'm enjoying this show the more it goes along, though I am hoping at some point the tone gets a bit lighter in general. Everyone's so angry at each other, hopefully the Stamets-doctor relationship injects some lightness into the proceedings. Otherwise I'm loving it, the relationship between Saru and Michael is incredible, I love Jason Isaacs in the role of Lorca, Tilly is being developed nicely. The actual bridge crew is finally getting some attention as well, I hope they become actual characters, no matter how minor.