main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph “Let's Fly!” - Star Trek: Discovery [Paramount+/Netflix/CraveTV]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Blah, double post. Oh my God, you guys, this is so $%#&ing cool!

TX-20 likes this.
  2. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    But since SW is far more popular than Trek & has far broader appeal I think they could justify a significantly bigger budget. And this show looks incredible. Depending on the story concept I think it's becoming more & more feasible.

3. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Did anyone else notice the similarity of the name of the Vulcan extremist to V'Las? I guess he might have been related to him. If so, how did he come to work for Sarek? Do Vulcans not check the backgrounds of the people working for them??

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    OMG! Did Lorca just do what I think he did at the end?

5. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Yep he totally left her there to die.

Which I am of two minds about. On one hand it makes him 100% crazy and therefore more interesting but on the other it just further solidifies my suspicions that he won't last long on the show. Which would be a shame because I think he's a compelling character and Issac's performance is top notch.

6. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013

The f-bombs were on the initial broadcast on Space.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    He didn't so much leave her there to die as suddenly (and uncharacteristically) start behaving like a responsible, by-the-book, chain-of-command-following Starfleet officer, which we know he is not. He hasn't crossed the line, but in context his behaviour is self-serving and disingenuous, not to mention callous.

And I agree with both your points: he's way more interesting as a character than most captains we've seen, but on the other hand it takes him out of the running as a hero and therefore his time in the Captain's chair looks limited, and like you I think Isaac is one of the show's big plus-points.

Sarge, Darth Downunder and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  8. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Oooh I don't know: for me this was a big crossing the line because of his motives: he made it about protecting himself. And this is a guy who blew up his own crew to spare them torture from the Klingons and yet he just left his best friend behind for a similar fate -- because she threatened his command. That's just ... not right. I think he's truly mentally ill and he couldn't keep it in check after she stepped on the wrong trigger. He's terrified of losing his ship and I think he just showed he'll do anything to prevent it from happening.

Whereas before I saw a Captain who had the possibility of being gradually ... reformed to the Star Trek philosophy as the show went on, I now see a Captain who -- in the finest tradition of Captains of this era of Starfleet -- has just proven himself to be certifiable.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    But he hasn't refused to go rescue her, though - he's just not volunteering. I'm not ready to completely write him off yet, but how things play out in the next episode will be key - is this a temporary hesitation that he will rethink, or is he effectively being set up as the villain/obstacle the true heroes must overcome?

As for him being certifiable... yes maybe, but not because of his actions after Cornwell got taken. And the fact that Cornwell has been sleeping with him makes her judgement over him...awkward. I mean legally and ethically I don't know how that would be seen. His ruthless sticking to the rules in order to further his own career I would say is not certifiable, and in fact you will find many highly successful people today who practice similar tactics and are most definitely not being confined to mental asylums - quite on the contrary.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Yes.... but my ideal Star Wars show is literally just Star Trek in the GFFA (early Republican explorers pushing out from the Core with a pair of Jedi advisors on the crew), lol, so essentially pointless.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Lorca suddenly deciding to "go by the book" has a few layers to it. One way, it's super-dark "she's going to take my ship away from me, let the Klingons have her". But also it's possible her speech about him being irresponsible may have gotten through to him, or at the very least stayed his hand and has him second guessing himself. So I'm not calling he's going full Commodore Decker quite yet. He could turn it around. Maybe he even saves her and she decides not to take Discovery away from him. The final shot of him holding the phaser is just him still dealing with being paranoid.

On the flipside, this could all eventually lead to Lorca getting buggier and crazier and eventually Burnham has to mutiny. Again! That ought to be a fun 2nd court marital for her. Can they even court martial her again? Would it just be Starfleet Admirals all face-palming and groaning?

Anyway, really funny line about Lorca in this episode when Tilly is going off on how he's over the moon for Tyler and she goes "Lorca already wants to adopt him.". Don't kill Tilly, show. Or Keyla. Please.

That's good to know cuz I watched the 7 PM Sunday the 22nd repeat and they bleeped them out. Maybe they didn't notice until it aired or something so they bleeped it on the repeat.

Contemplating on that, maybe? Maybe Mirror-verse Stamets is a stoner or something and he got swapped out when he jumped into the spore drive.

Only leaning towards that because Stamets was acting quite different personality in this episode and, hey, lingering shot of a weird mirror reflection in a Star Trek show seems to imply quite a lot.

Also was Discovery still using the spore drive in this episode (there's only 1 shot when they jump in but it looked like the spore drive entry shot). Cuz I thought you can only use a person now and I kinda doubt Stamets, or anyone in the crew, would go through that again.

12. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    I was also thinking that he somehow knew it was a Klingon trap and therefore “volunteered” the admiral...... hmmmm.....

13. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Which in itself is kind of a problem because, for reasons you've stated, once you have a Star Wars series that is grounded from a central location like a ship or base, it would just feel like another BSG or Trek. Besides, with the mythos of Star Wars now being filled with Episodes VIII and IX, with the potential for another trilogy, PLUS the Anthology films PLUS the novels PLUS the video games, I pretty much think a TV series would be fairly crass. It's unlike Marvel because although the Big Screen and Small Screen stuff seem to be of the same universe, they do tell different stories in their own style. I can't see the same working for Star Wars.

TX-20 likes this.
  14. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
  15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    "Logic extremist"? Are you ****ing kidding me?

16. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Waiting for the Ferengi "greed extremist" faction.

I think/hope that it's a nickname for the group applied to them by others.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  17. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Fun episode so far. Time travel shenanigans with Harry Mudd. :D

TX-20 likes this.
  18. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Good to see some much needed humanity added to the show; humour, quirkiness, some actual character interaction and development. It's a slow burn but we're getting there.

19. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    It takes time to developer characters properly. Heck i think TNG took well over a season to get to like characters. Personally I think this series has done the best job at doing it. I am intrigued by all the characters so far.

This episode echos “Cause and Effect” from TNG and was probably inspired by it. Not sure I like having Harry Mudd so “powerful” though, but it certainly makes you look at the character differently when watching TOS. This was a definitely one of those “fun” episodes.

20. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    This was probably the most fun the show has had in terms of tone, and even if it's cliched (what sci-fi show has not done this type of episode?) I liked it.

I'll also repeat that this whole Tyler theory is rubbish and that if it turns out to be true, the show will have lost me. You can't do an episode like this and the ones before it and then later pretend that it was all something else.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Time will tell I guess.

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Echoing the love for this episode, probably easily the best episode of the series so far (and I quite dig the two-parter pilot). It definitely has the plot shape of "Cause and Effect" but they did more than enough things different to make it stand out and adding Mudd as the cat and mouse game with the crew had a lot of awesome stuff, his repeated killing of Lorca and one of my favourite lines in the episode the meta-Trek comment "There's so many ways to blow up this ship, I think it's a design flaw.". I dug Wilson's Mudd in "Choose Your Pain" a lot but I think he was just gangbusters here, especially his intro in that wacky space suit. As for him having time loop technology, Mudd has a habit of getting his hands on technology that is way more advanced than he can handle.

I quibble slightly that Stamets and Burnham spent a few loops just dancing and getting closer with Tyler but, hey, it was a sweet character moment and it's been 60 loops at that point, might as well try to work a few things out emotionally. Tilly at the party was hilarious and I noticed a remix of "Staying Alive" at the Discovery party (a really fun wink to the episode's concept) also, y'know, if the ship's nickname is "DISCO" to the point where they have t-shirts, I get the feeling at parties there's going to be a lot of disco being played, probably the unofficial musical anthem of the ship.

TX-20 likes this.
  23. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    Of all the classic 20th Century games to survive tp the 23rd Century.....beer pong......

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Darth Downunder and Alpha-Red like this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    ....which is incredibly plausible.

TX-20 likes this.
  25. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Interesting episode.
    I’ll have to watch again, cause I missed something on the admirals “escape”