main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph “Let's Fly!” - Star Trek: Discovery [Paramount+/Netflix/CraveTV]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    ahhhh, okay! I gets it! But, y'know, they are KINDA Spacemen Bugs.

2. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Are you a prejudice pink skin?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Heavens no, more Andorian ale!

[​IMG]

4. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Dilly dilly!

5. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    In Star Wars we see Chewie eating a Porg, so I think it's time we see Kirk eating a Tribble this season.

seeker_two and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  6. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Let’s speculate on where we think the discovery ended up I’m excited to find out Sunday!

My guess, an alternate timeline somewhere after a huge battle that could have been prevented somehow in the real timeline.

7. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I'm speculating either alternate/mirror universe also

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    This Sunday, as in the 7th? My Netflix is saying it returns on the 23rd...

9. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Everything I'm reading says it comes back on the 7th

10. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Yep. The 7th is the date

11. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    9hrs till new episode

12. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    .....and this is why the CBS app will never be as successful as Netflix or Hulu. If DSC isn't on broadcast TV, why not drop it at midnight?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

13. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Yeah I never did understand that either.

14. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Mirror universe, iss discovery, Tyler/voq

Meh.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So Eaglemoss recently posted some of their covers for the Discovery model series, which included the first official scaling information for DIS ships, including Disco herself (750.5 meters). Trekyards put up a good video with some size comparison renders:

One thing they briefly touch on towards the end is that it is sometimes difficult to make direct comparisons because of how massive some ships are from some angles than others. So, I decided to play with that idea a bit to get a better sense of how their masses compare in a more apples to apples configuration by removing the gaps in the saucer and shifting some other parts around to better approximate a comparison to the Excelsior-class.

These were some quick-and-dirty photoshop edits to screenshots from the video (except for the Excelsior top-down, which I added) so it's not 100% accurate but it still gives a closer approximation.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ignoring the long nacelles (which can be attributed to the test bed nature of the ship) and broader secondary hill (which can be attributed to the extensive number of scientific labs on board and perhaps something akin to the Miranda-class's mid/rear bulk), this approach helps remove the "sleekness" factor and makes it easier to see it as being something of an early Excelsior, just one that has been flattened out in reality (and had its saucer spread out by the addition of the gaps). Though Disco clearly has more mass towards the back due to the delta wings.

Again, not 100% 1-to-1, but helps, IMO, put the scale in a more understandable context.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  16. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Yeah. I didn't like the concept because given what has happened since Tyler came onboard, it doesn't make any sense.

17. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I love Ash. It's going to suck when he gets woke and we lose this interesting character.
    *Five Minutes Later*
    **** You, Ash!

Jedi Knight Fett and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  18. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    Why do I get the feeling the relationship between Tyler and Micheal will be the catalyst for the end of the war given his statement that he will always, always protect her no matter what?

Darth Caliban, BigAl6ft6 and TX-20 like this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The Tyler/Voq thing I honestly don't think I would have clued in if the Internet hadn't spoiled it until this episode (to be fair, they haven't explicitly stated it yet but c'mon) but I like how he's going completely buggity boo.

But I may have to watch this episode again cuz the second they said "Terran Empire" my brain went gleep and cuz I was legit excited they're in the Mirror-verse. Back in this very thread I was hoping they'd go Mirror-verse in Season 1 and they did. I legitimately cackled with glee when "Captain Burnham" sat on the bridge and they gave her a "Long live the Empire!" Legitimately cackled!

Random theorizing, Lorca is actually from the Mirror-verse, they said that Mirror-verse Lorca is missing and was leading a rebellion so maybe Lorca, while kind of a jerk in the Prime-verse, is actually kind of nice in the Mirror-verse, comparatively. Also of note the Mirror-verse Discovery is punching around the Prime-verse (they switched spots) so I can't wait to see what they're up to. Also I get the feeling we'll get the Mirror- Shenzhou will somehow end up in the Prime-verse so that may be how we get the Shenzhou back. I doubt Burnham will be Captain-ing it, though, what with the mutiny and all.

But that's way in the future, right now they're in the Mirror-verse and I'm totally happy. Tilly trying to be Mirror-Tilly was legit hilarious and there is a lot of interesting story potential, also Tyler/Voq is a ticking bomb (RIP the doctor who I can't remember his name). Bit odd that Tyler can snap somebody's neck in the middle of sickbay but I'll let it slide. Also this episode was directed by William Riker! And lots of great moments, especially Captain Burnham's entrance to the bridge which was all kinds of amazing.

Oh for those who didn't catch the references to the U.S.S. Defiant, I decree that essential viewing is Enterprise "In A Mirror, Darkly" 2-parter (one of their best), which is the macguffin that Burnham and Co are chasing after. For best results, go with TOS "Tholian Web" and then "Mirror Darkly". I hope that we see the Emperor and it would be crazy-awesome if she was Mirror-Hosihi Sato, considering how Mirror Darkly ended, something I always hoped we could see followed up on. Maybe not likely but the freakin' Defiant is a plot point so you never know. It seems likely we'll see the Disco crew actually on the Defiant at some point, which could be amazing to see them in a TOS setting. Hopefully they keep the Defiant as the badass monster that it was in Mirror Darkly on ENT.

Anyway, holy heck, I loved this episode even though it was all setup but freakin' Mirror-verse, dammit!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  20. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    Dr. Culber! I hope he'll be back in some form. It's nice seeing Rickie from My So-Called Life again. They should get Brian Krakow on board.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    If this season doesn't end with Mirror-Culber putting the hurt on Tyler/Voq, then I want my money back.....

.....and I think the Emperor is Georgiou.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    ^ Dahhh! That's a great idea and, if anything, this show is good at crazy twists.

Oh, maybe that's how Georgiou and the Shenzhou get back on the show but they're crazy Mirror-verse versions who get punted over to the Prime-verse. Be a great closing season cliffhanger anyway.

23. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    I'd say that was the best and the most Trek like episode this season so far :)

seeker_two and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  24. darthOB1

Mar 22, 2000
    I was thinking that as well!

All hail emperor Georgiou!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I think the Voq thing is hard to miss because the character is introduced, developed a bit, and then completely disappears for a few episodes, exactly at the point when Tyler shows up.

Loved this episode, I can’t wait to see where this show is going. I love the theory that Lorca is the Mirror Universe’s deposed Emperor who found himself in the Prime universe. It would explain the scars all over his back, and why he would sabotage the jump in the previous episode.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.