main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Amph Star Trek: Discovery [CBS All Access/Netflix/CraveTV]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    An okay but rushed finale I thought. Those finale minutes were brilliant however :D

2. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    I would have loved to see it, but CBS all access is crap on the X-box 360 and the commercials trigger errors so the last 3 episodes are unwatchable past the first 10-20 minutes. Cause a paid streaming service needs to have 5 freaking commercials.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. darthOB1

darthOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    3 bucks more a month and BAM no commercials! Well worth it

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    seeker_two and TX-20 like this.
  4. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    [​IMG]

my reaction to you good sir.

TX-20, Juliet316 and darthOB1 like this.
  5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Now that I can access CBSAA via Amazon so I can stream it on my TV, I decided to hit up the free trial for DIS finally.

I know some Fleet Junkie spoilers going in (mostly how downright ugly/awful the new Klingon ship designs are- like rejected Narn/Wraith hybrids; though I did catch a glimpse of the Discovery’s weird barrel roll warp jump gimmick, or at least a fan recreation), but not much in the way of story outside of the presence of a Mirror Universe arc.

I commented on the first episode, 101: Vulcan Hello, when it first aired but finally getting to watch what really appears to be the second part of a pilot film, 102: Battle at the Binary Stars. It definitely should have aired together to hook people better and deliver a more satisfying experience.

Anyways, moving forward I’ll mostly be ignoring the visual reboot aspects (except for everything with the Klingons being seemingly awful). But, as I said a few months ago, this show has more of a Babylon 5 feel to it so far (and given I’ve marathoned almost all Trek kinda because of B5, that’s not a bad thing).

I quite liked the chemistry between Doug Jones’ character and the Captain- especially when she complimented him in his devious bombing plan.

-“T’chuvma the Unforgettable”, whom no one ever mentions again after this series ;).

-Love that we’re seeing them transport with weapons already drawn . I don’t recall if we’ve seen that before but it always annoyed me that they’d wait until they arrived to draw weapons on away missions.

EDIT- Episode 103: Context is For Kings
    -Kinda feel like the opening teaser could have made for a good stinger to the pilot movie (not the least of which would be having the titular ship appear at least briefly).

In fact, the first three episodes would make for an even stronger pilot film if the runtime for such an endeavour would not be so impractical.

But then this series was clearly designed for a streaming platform, which tends to operate by the “hook ‘em by three” rule so having the analog to a pilot film occur across three episodes is unsurprising.

-“Starfleet’s first mutineer”? That seems surprising given how long Starfleet has been around even by this point in the timeline. But then I suppose the post-Romulan War age of peace would potentially minimize the number of opportunities for such scenarios to occur.

EDIT 2- Episode 104: The Butcher’s Knife Cares Not For the Lamb’s Cry

-Cool little maneuver using the spore drive’s FTL jump-style precision. Not sure what they dropped to take down the BOPs though- bombs? Antimatter canisters? They weren’t really clear about that, could have used a line of dialogue there.

-The use of organics to boost travel abilities reminds me of the Equinox on VOY.

-How’d they salvage the telescope from the Shenzhou? Who would have grabbed it knowing it was part of Georgio’s will?

EDIT 3- Episode 105: Choose Your Pain

-Ah, the notorious not-a-D7-D7, sigh... it’s even muddier due to them calling it a BOP later in the same (and subsequent) episodes. Not to mention this Wraith-style BOP looks completely different from the more fighter-like (and Romulan-like) BOPs we’ve seen previously (all of which look totally different in design from the insectoid raiders seen later in this episode or the Xindi Retillian look of the other Klingon cruisers at the Battle of the Binary Stars...).

(And why would a BOP be used as a prison ship anyways? Sigh..)

-So they’re afraid Lorca will reveal info about Discovery’s spore drive, so they send... Discovery to rescue him, thereby putting the ship they’re trying to protect at risk and/or risking exposure of the tech further...

-That decorated Captains list was a rather enjoyable bit of continuity.

-Double F-bombs pretty funny, I gotta admit.

-This Episode is called “Choose Your Pain”. I can only name my pain. My pain is Mudd. Any episode with Harry Mudd.

(To be fair, this version of the character is actually tolerable so far. It gave me no immediate thoughts of suicide [by either the character or myself], so that’s an improvement.)

EDIT 4- Episode 106: Lethe

-Connie / Enterprise namedrops, yay!

-Shirts say Disco on them. And a shuttle or something was shortened to a Disco # call sign. They’re really trying to get me to abbreviate the show as Disco, aren’t they? *I* choose my abbreviations, DIS. And you must conform to the 3 letter standard for single word titles shows. So, tough.

-Also, I predict I’ll be buying fortune cookies this week. Not she why, but I have a sudden craving for them. Weird.

-Sarek deals with a lot of family issues while he’s infirmed, doesn’t he? lol

-A DS9 nod with “Fortune favors the bold” perhaps? A famous quote perhaps just a coincidence but that is s notable multiparter in the franchise...

-That last shot. Is that a wrap around his waist with the phaser? Implying, in combination with the reflection, that... [face_thinking]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018 at 7:17 PM
    BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 12, 2012
    I couldn't find the clip of Tilly's first contact with the Terrans and going "What the heck? Heck? Hell! What the hell! Hold your horses!!" which is my #1 Tilly moment of the season but did find the #2 Tilly moment

(#3 is the F-bomb and #4 is "Well, let's not keep these @$%@%^$ waiting!")

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018 at 6:06 PM
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Episode 107: Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad

-No teaser, that’s different. Has that ever happened before? Just having the recap is a bit weird.

-56 AU timeloops. (57 becomes prime).

-At first it seems too familiar a premise with the ship being destroyed aka TNG: Cause and Effect but diversifies into a different character focus approach to a Groundhog Day scenario.

-DIS Harry Mudd is actually pretty entertaining. Unlike TOS Mudd, he comes across as a legitimate threat.

...until the end. I feel like the resolution here is kind of a let down where Mudd is only defeated because he makes a stupid decision because the script required him to. And then the scene with Stella and her father feels completely out of place, tonally, with the rest of the episode/series- it feels like how a TOS Mudd episode would end. Thus, it rather kinda sucks. Especially since I dug the episode otherwise.

It’s also the first real standalone episode of the series so far- which makes it feel the most Trek-like.

-So far, the series has been the best Babylon 5 series in 20 years ;). Still half the season to go, so things can change, but if DS9 was ST copying B5’s story, DIS has been more akin to ST imitating/integrating B5’s style, look/feel and storytelling.

Not outright, mind you- it’s still ST, but there’s certsinly enough overlap to make the comparison (the blue uniforms certainly make it difficult not to ;) ). And it’s quite entertaining so far.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018 at 9:08 PM
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Master star 3

Mar 28, 2003
    I tried this series because of the hype it received on CBS All Access (I was already a subscriber) and I am glad I did. I'm not an obsessive fan of Trek: I've seen all of the movies and most of TNG but only watched a few random episodes of the the original series, Voyager, DS9 and Enterprise.) I think this series is great so far. I was a little worried about the alternate universe story line but I just watched the episode with the giant twist and it brought me all in. I look forward to finishing the season.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Episode 108: Si Vis Pacem, Para Bell

-Another teaserless episide.

-The depiction of Discovery functioning as a rapid response ship is pretty cool, even if it fails here. Still, given the scope of the spore drive’s ability, they’re going to need a really good explanation as to why it was never used again down the road in “consequences be damned” situations. The Dominion War (Operation Return in particular) and Voyager being key examples.

-They kinda glance over how they know that this signal sonar will defeat the Klingon cloak, because that kinda implies Starfleet already knows how it (the cloak) works and, presumably, what they need to build to create such a sonar...

-The direct call forward to “needs of the many” seemed very unnecessary.

-Is the scarred interrogator female Klingon the same as the Albino’s spy ally that helped him escape to the Shenzhou? I get that she’s the one from the prison ship but I didn’t think they were the same character.

-Depending on how this Pavan thing plays out, if the Pavans are destroyed it could make for an interesting prelude to the Organian situation in TOS- Kirk possibly being aware of this and thinking the same thing would happen.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018 at 7:21 PM
  10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yup! L'Rell!

The2ndQuest likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Ah, I guess I was thrown off by the implication that she was aboard the prison ship for those 7 months since the BOTBS while the Ship of the Dead was adrift for 6 months during repairs and that they were starving due to low supplies. If she could move between both, why didn’t she bring good?

Episode 109: Into the Forest I Go

-Spore jump inside warp: cool!

-Redundant dialogue about the pattern simulators. Should have dropped the dialogue on the transporter pad.

-Love the plan to crack the cloak and how they apply the spore drive to achieve it.

-Does Lorcan not look at the final destruction of the SOTD behind him because Cool Guys Dont Look At Explosions? Or because his eyes physically cannot? ;)

-Something going wrong at the end was telegraphed a bit too strongly. But who or what is at fault? Lorca? The engineer? The tech itself? TBC!

So, really great episode.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018 at 7:55 AM
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah one thing I like about Into the Forrest I go is how they use the universal translator to convey the Klingon speaking in English so they can smack-talk each other without having to bounce back and forth from subtitles. I actually didn't mind everything in Klingon being spoken in Klingon but with subs but the English conversation with Burnham made it a bit more immediate.