main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph “Let's Fly!” - Star Trek: Discovery [Paramount+/Netflix/CraveTV]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Kobayashi Maru is just a training simulation. Wtf.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Kirk being bullied by Finnegan. Sets off a chain reaction.

As for there being no robots and/or Androids, Data was singular and unique, yes, but TOS is chock darn full of androids and robots. That break down rather quickly, sure, but they're there.

3. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    Maybe she'll be demoted because of "the event".

Also, is this TOS era or JJverse era aesthetics?

4. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    A Lt. Commander could theoretically command a ship, though in Trek I think we saw that happen only in emergency situations where they were short on Captains and Commanders.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The Kelvin timeline is basically the TOS look but this is prime-time so it would probably have to stick closer to TOS, so I'm guessing probably more clunky switches (but more than likely not and they'll go touchscreens anyway) and people rocking TOS era outfits (but not the Cage turtlenecks). Think JJ-verse but less lens flare but good old gold and blue and oh so very many redshirts (dying, hopefully!).

I'm guessing the uniform insignia's will look like the Discovery logo. But no comm badges, only handheld communicators!

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It will being wresting to see what they do with the retro aesthetic. The KT films were able to use the AU excuse to update the look to a modern Apple-like design to keep it relevant to today but the Prime timeline has less wiggle room for that- they're more beholden to continuity (In a Mirror Darkly, Trials & Tribble-ations, etc) when it comes to the TOS look. They need to walk the fine line of updating that to be relevant without diverging too radically.

It's not Star Trek without Irish stereotypes.

Sarge and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  7. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I saw the episode about 'water that makes you drunk' recently and... Spock blaming Riley's antics on him believing he was 'descended from Irish kings' a bit much.

But, on a related note, that is now my go-to excuse for any bad behavior on my part.

8. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009

9. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Just woke up to this news. I like that the new lead is female and not the captain, but everyone else....

The timeline placement is extremely disappointing. 10 years before TOS, so 2255. One year after "The Cage". The reason Bryan Fuller gave was that they can go back to the designs and iconography of that era.
    This is totally not what I wanted. Since Nemesis came out in 2002, we only have prequels, interquels and reboots in Star Trek which all just try to recreate the feel of the TOS era. I don't want Star Trek to be stuck in the past. Why couldn't they go into a time decades after Nemesis? They're shoehorning themselves into a really small box by setting the series so close to TOS. They have to use the uniforms from "The Cage" and "Where No Man Has Gone Before". They can't use holodecks, replicators, quantum torpedoes and anything else from the 24th century technology. They can't use the Borg, Jem'Hadar, Vorta, Shapeshifters and many of the aliens from the TNG period. Fans will go crazy if there's only one detail which doesn't fit the timeline.

Do the writers and creators of that show lack imagination so that they just want to use existing stuff?

I also looked up Fuller's writing credits for Star Trek. While there were some episodes that I liked, I find most of them mediocre at best. This, paired with the fact that he's only fanboying about old Trek doesn't give me much hope for Star Trek: Discovery. But I guess many will watch it regardless just because it's branded as Star Trek.

10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'd put the Fuller-penned "Bride of Chaotica!" in top 5 Voyager, it's downright wacky and hellova lot of fun. Sure it may use the "holodeck tried to kill us again" trope that was worn out in the TNG era (although technically I don't think the aliens are actually killing anybody) but it's so darn well fun it gets a pass.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  11. a star war

May 4, 2016
    Let's count our blessings.

But to be serious, I don't see why you wouldn't make a ST series in the era that ST was created. If you want to make something in the future what are you even making? Is it ST? How far can you go before it's just another Sci Fi setting? How close do you have to stay before it's too repetitive?

Of course it is in service to the fans, the creators of this series are fans. They want to make ST, so that means making something in the same era. Because that is Star Trek.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The majority of Trek is not set in the TOS era.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  13. a star war

May 4, 2016
    Yeah, I wasn't referring to TOS, but ST as a whole.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The setting makes business sense for CBS- recall that part of the rift between CBS & Paramount was that CBS still gets a lot of money off of TOS merchandise even though Paramount would prefer there not be merch competing the KT films merch.

So, it makes sense that CBS would make a new series that leans closer to TOS to exploit that. Also, it's the 50th anniversary of TOS, so there's that connection too.

The upside is they can't try to top the scale of previous big bads (you thought the Klingons were bad? Here's the Borg! you thought the Borg were bad? here's the Dominion! You thought the Dominion were bad? Here's Species ####! You thought they were bad? Here's the Xindi!) so maybe any ongoing threats will be of a more personal or local nature instead of adding yet another huge threat to the entire galaxy.

The Kodos/Tarsus IV massacre possibility being a good example, as it opens up the possibility of people being/knowing victims (like Hoshi) or survivors (like Kirk).

They did have something kinda like replicators on TOS called food synthesizers and TAS did have a holographic recreation room. Voyager got by without quantum torpedoes and I think even the Enterprise E primarily still used photon torps after First Contact.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    That's exactly what i think, too!

Space, the final frontier!
    These are the voyages of the starship Discovery.

Proudly going where everyone has gone before

The only interesting thing i find in this concept is that we see the Sheliak again and finally learn more about them.

Darth_Voider likes this.
  16. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    In this week's episode, the Discovery's crew will negotiate paragraph 1290 of the Sheliak treaty, which will surely in no way prove important in the future. [face_whistling]

A female lead, huh? Well, here's hoping they have a clear plan for her, I think one of Voyager's problems was they weren't sure which direction to take Janeway's character? Then again Voyager didn't have a lot of clear ideas really (Janeway's changing hairstyles was kind of symbolic of that too, oddly enough).

(Just to be clear, I don't mind female lead at all, just that Voyager did not set a good example.)

No surprise they're going back to TOS era again, that is still the most famous and iconic. Just hope they don't rely too much on cameos or TOS references to draw in interest. Though I've seen a lot of superhero shows try that too in the last decade (especially in the last few years with the expanding DC and Marvel TV series).

Also helps them rely on the old retro look of buttons and switches. Enterprise had to struggle to really go "old-fashioned" tech, and there probably isn't really enough money or interest or trust to make a serious post-TNG/DS9/VOY era series.

Though my personal favorite future era I'd wish they could explore? The Battle of Procyon V. Yes, an Enterprise Temporal Cold War reference, but I just like the idea of the Federation (and allies) fighting back an extradimensional invasion. Although I forget if Enterprise (NX) prevented or just slowed it down (though the whole Xindi plot was because the bad guys knew Procyon would end badly for them).

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It wasn't just Janeway- Voyager clearly was at a loss for what direction they were going to take any of the characters (except maybe Seven's general arc towards humanity).

Having a plan for them, combined with the serialized storytelling elements and fewer filler episodes would hopefully streamline the series execution and development so that it hopefully won't take 3 seasons to find the characters.

Sarge likes this.
  18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    The era this is set is such a secondary thing for me. The story and characters are far more important. They can have just about any threat they want. Just because it hasn't been mentioned in another series, doesn't mean it didn't happen or didn't matter.

Sarge likes this.
  19. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Throw in the Doctor as well. Both of them were pretty similar to Data in regards to trying to find their humanity.

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So two seasons tops I'm guessing? I don't want to say Trek is dead, but I don't like this.

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker likes this.
  21. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Based on them saying that all of the All Access shows are having between 10 to 13 episodes, I think they're (everyone involved probably) hedging their bets. I also think that's probably why Fuller is approaching this as each episode being a chapter of a novel (to paraphrase what he said).

22. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Ahem, please excuse me, but your argument is flawed.

Back in 1986/87, we only had one live-action series, one animated series, and four movies. At that time, Star Trek was solely set in the 23rd century (with the occasional exception of time travel stories).

Then Roddenberry decided to do a second live-action series. But he decided that it should take place in the 24th century, some 80 years after the movies. To be short, TNG was a show that wasn't set in the era in which Star Trek was created. It was something set further in the future. Far enough away from TOS in the timeline that, while it could still reference the older series on occasions, it could do mostly its own things. And this decision proved to be extremely successful. We even got with DS9 and VOY another two series in that period.

To be short, I think to move forward from the 24th to the 25th century would be as smart as to move from the 23rd to the 24th century back in those days. I really hate it when fans and even showrunners say "Hey, the TOS era is the most iconic, so let's make another series in that era". If I want to see TOS aesthetics, I watch my TOS DVDs. If I want to see TNG aesthetics, I watch my TNG DVDs. And if I watch a brand new Star Trek series, then I want to see brand new aesthetics, not a repeat of old aesthetics. It's simple as that.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I considered mentioning him too but I find even his character arc reveals they didn't have a clear vision of where to take the character. Remember how him trying to choose a name for himself was a main thing for the character for a stretch? Then they kinda just gave up on it. I think after the initial "learning humanity" episodes in the first few seasons they realized they couldn't stretch it out for a whole series and he kinda just plateaued (albeit it an awesome plateau held up by the greatness that is Picardo).

On the flipside, Tuvok is a spectacular character (Tim Russ put so much into that character to ensure he was fully realized- to the point that one could at least argue he's the best Vulcan character in the franchise, even if he isn't as iconic as Nimoy for originating it) but was so fully realized he didn't have anywhere left to go since he was more of a constant.

CT-867-5309 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  24. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Yeah, I'd agree with that.

I've always felt that Tuvok was a worth successor to Spock for the Franchise. I never really felt that T'Pol was that good of a Vulcan character. Soval on the other hand was great in the limited screen time he had in Enterprise. And Jeffrey Combs as Shran has pretty much solidified what I think an Andorian should be. It's actually hard for me to say one way or the other which role, Weyoun or Shran, of his was better.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    What, no love for Brunt?! "Brunt, FCA."

Hey mods, we need a Ferengi smiley.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.