main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph “Let's Fly!” - Star Trek: Discovery [Paramount+/Netflix/CraveTV]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Well Disco didn't Peabody but, on the flipside, Tillys "Oh my God you guys this is so %$&ing cool!" line got Canadian cable broadcaster Space in trouble cuz it aired at 8 PM (apparently potty mouthed stuff has to air at 9 PM)

On Wednesday, the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council issued a ruling based on a complaint received over the fifth episode “Choose Your Pain,” which aired on Space on October 15. The complaint was regarding the use of profanity and violence in the show and whether it violated the Canadian Association of Broadcasters’ Code of Ethics and Violence Code. These codes state that programming with profanity or violence “intended for adult audience,” should only be broadcast between the hours of 9 pm to 6 am.

The broadcaster further explained that the “Star Trek franchise has an extremely loyal and engaged fan base so we took into consideration how the coarse language was used and we decided to air the episode uncut and uncensored in order to deliver the content our Space viewers expect.”

I hope this doesn't mean Space in Season 2 has to push it to 9, I kinda liked getting it 30 minutes earlier than anywhere else. Or maybe it'll move just to CraveTV exclusively.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  3. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Huh, it's kind of ironic that Kurztman and Bob Orci who wrote the Abrams Trek films, Orci was the full on Trekiee but they've split and now Kurtzman is running the show. Anyway, not that cost cutting on Trek is necessarily a bad thing, we got ourselves Wrath of Khan from that. Be interesting who they end up getting to run the show in season 3! 3 Showrunners in 1 and a half seasons, quite a feat!

Anyway, the Season 2 premiere budget "apparently ballooned" but considering they're probably making a full on NCC-1701 and have to match the two-parter premiere of Season 1 hopefully that at least means big timey explosions.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    They already have the Enterprise- they don’t need any explosions.

5. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I'm pretty meh on this series. And that's kind ot a shame, since I really enjoy most Trek media.

Does it get better? I'm only on episode 5, but I just find these characters (Save for the leading woman) really unlikable, and the plot uninteresting.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It has its moments, but no, it really does not get better.

seeker_two likes this.
  7. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    Meh on the series.

I hate the fact they changed the look of the Klingon, you don't fix what isnt broken.

Not like the lead character, I find her dull and contrived.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Sarge likes this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Episode 7, "Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad" is my favourite episode of the series, very old school done-in-one Trek-dom and I'd wager to say it's so good it personally jumped into my top 10 Trek time travel stories (maybe near the bottom, true, but that's still a pretty deep roster of greatness to even get on)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Disco wins Saturn tin! For Best Streaming Show and Martin-Green for her performance as Burnham

She did send in a video message and Burham is rocking the tatical jacket again (or maybe Martin-Green thought she needed the bullet proof armor)

in non-winning news, Discovery got a new executive producer (probably new showrunner as well) with James Duff

"The Closer" creator has Trek cred, one writing credit for Season 1 Enterprise "Fortunate Son" which I googled and, uhm, it has Nausigans in it! Don't remember it all but, hey, Nuasigans!

Also he was in the Doc For the Love of Spock so get a fan pass on that if he's in documentaries about Star Trek and stuff

[​IMG]

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Trekyards got an advanced look at the DIS Enterprise model, based on the one from the show, being released for a game this week, which gives us some clear looks at the design elements we couldn't see in the angles from the show or that were hidden by the stylized cinematography of the show:

Really love that whole bridge module/impulse engine section.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Season 2 trailer!!
    (Canadian region)

(USA region)

(Netflix International)

January premiere date! short films monthly soon (more Mudd)! Burnham saves Spock! Pike takes over Disco! "This is the power of math, people!" *high five* Rebeca-Romijin as Number One! Mysterious superpowered alien! Keyla Detmer gets a few more lines! Saurian sneeze! "That's a relief, I thought we were all going to die!"

https://trekmovie.com/2018/07/20/sd...ason-2-first-look-teaser-and-images-released/

https://trekmovie.com/2018/07/20/br...ni-episodes-and-spock-confirmed-for-season-2/

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...-set-at-cbs-all-access-comic-con-2018-1128754

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    "This is the power of math, people!" [face_laugh]

Though it seems a little bit of a letdown that we seem to be ditching the Enterprise more or less the moment she shows up, but this seems like the first episode or two, so hopefully by time they need to return Pike something happens that requires the Enterprise's more direct involvement...

I love the idea of mini episodes- especially if they ever expand the concept to non-DIS eras.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    hopefully there's a running plot with the Enterprise kind of like how the "meanwhile, back with the Klingons..." was a running plot through most of S1. While Burnham goes for a, how to put it, "search for Spock"? Bonus points when he shows up, which I would guess would be in the season finale they put him in Vulcan robes and he goes "Your name... is Michael."

And the panel was asked if Lorca would be back and the answer was "Maybe." Which is totally a yes! Generally! Whohoo!

14. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Is it me, or is it too soon to have the original series uniforms? After all, in both "The Cage" and "Where No Man Has Gone Before," the uniforms were slightly different.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, there's the whole visual reboot aspect to the series. I have a feeling that, much like how the DIS tech/look seems to be more of a bridge between ENT & TMP (versus ENT & TOS) and require one to sort of mentally substitute it for the 2 times we see TOS stuff on TNG/DS9, The Cage & WNMHGB are being squinted at in terms of them being pilot episodes, especially when it comes to the uniforms.

Like, with The Cage you have the sweaters with the high neck. So, instead of doing that, you have the "new" TOS uniforms with details added to connect to DIS but also adding in that high black collar to effectively represent the Cage's sweater collar. So it becomes something of a mix of the different possible sources.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    PCCViking likes this.
  16. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Looking good.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

We have Blu-Ray sign!

Nov 13th. That’s a lot sooner than I would have expected, but I guess they’re hoping to use it to boost interest in season 2.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Most important Season 2 tidbit - Klingon hair in Season 2!!

https://trekmovie.com/2018/08/06/st...r-star-trek-discovery-season-2-hints-at-hair/

They're hinting (but I remember this said in BTS interviews in Season 1) that the different Klingon houses have different looks. Also I'm sure the Voq becoming Ash is going to factor into the TOS Klingons eventually (and maybe integrate the Augment Virus too or just completely ignore that bit)

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    So I watched Tig Notoro's Netflix stand up special and it's pretty great, she's very, very dry and she's playing a doctor on DISCO Season 2 so dry doctor humour on Star Trek is pretty great in general. In fact, she was on the Late Late Show and dropped a bit of dialogue and compared some Star Trek acting notes with John Cho as well. It's technobable ya fake it till ya make it. Great line, here when she says it, though "Valentine took a piece of shrapnel to the left aortic valve and needed a donor. I couldn’t find a transplant so I piggybacked his heart on a dead Bolian to keep it ticking.”

20. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    So, Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth out and Ethan Peck in...

21. DaddlerTheDalek

Aug 31, 2014
    Ethan Peck looks the part.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    As long as the man can arch an eyebrow and say "Fascinating" he's set. not sure exactly how different Spock could be but one does note Spock seems a tad more emotional in "The Cage", the time Disco is set. Spock hollers "THE WOMEN!" and smiles when they find some weird alien fauna.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000

Short Treks dates and breakdowns revealed.

CBS All Access has officially confirmed that it will begin the rollout of “Short Treks,” four planned short films tied to its “Star Trek: Discovery” series, from October 4th. Each one of the 10-15 minute episodes will on a monthly basis between now and the premiere of the second season of “Star Trek: Discovery” very early next year.

Each story will follow a different character from the cast of the series, and TV Line has a story breakdown and air date for each:

“Runaway” (Thursday, October 4th): Onboard the U.S.S. Discovery, Ensign Tilly (Mary Wiseman) encounters an unexpected visitor in need of help. However, this unlikely pair may have more in common than meets the eye.

“Calypso” (Thursday, November 8th): After waking up in an unfamiliar sickbay, Craft (Aldis Hodge) finds himself on board a deserted ship, and his only companion and hope for survival is an A.I. computer interface.

“The Brightest Star” (Thursday, December 6th): Before he was the first Kelpien to join Starfleet, Saru (Doug Jones) lived a simple life on his home planet of Kaminar with his father and sister. Young Saru, full of ingenuity and a level of curiosity uncommon among his people, yearns to find out what lies beyond his village, leading him on an unexpected path.

“The Escape Artist” (Thursday, January 3rd): Harry Mudd (Rainn Wilson), back to his old tricks of stealing and double-dealing, finds himself in a precarious position aboard a hostile ship — just in time to try out his latest con.

24. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Short Treks: cool idea.

But...i'd much rather them use that format for the Shenzhou years where we see more of the Georgiou and Burnham partnership.

25. DaddlerTheDalek

Aug 31, 2014
    Good to have the release dates.