main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph “Let's Fly!” - Star Trek: Discovery [Paramount+/Netflix/CraveTV]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    How many years away from Enterprise is it?

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    100 years.

3. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    So I absolutely should not expect any continuation from Enterprise or cameos?

Did the Romulan War happen in between then? Is that Canon?

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Romulan War happened and is long over. The Enterprise has already launched so Archer is dead. Hoshi was killed by Gov Kodos so if the "event" is that then there's room for a cameo.

Vulcans live long, not sure about Andorians. Possible cameos there.

Most human characters are probably dead by now, though the younger characters might still be around.

5. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    So that all happened in the books right? Does that mean the books are Canon?

Any guides or advice to get into them?

*needs more Enterprise.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Archer & Hoshi's fates are canon, as per their bios aboard the Defiant in In a Mirror Darkly (though the text isn't clearly seen on screen in closeup so there could be room to fudge that).

Hoshi (and her family) died at Tarsus IV, Archer died the day after attending the christening of the NCC-1701.

And since you have April & Pike's missions aboard the Enterprise before Kirk's, there's no room for a living Archer cameo (but recordings, etc are possible ).

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  7. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    If it's ten years before tos, that would mean at least Archer's still alive.

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Not necessarily. There is the possibility of time travel shenanigans.

9. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    Is Warf captan in this show

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Depends on the specifics. 10 years before Kirk's command would be midway through Pike's command. The Enterprise was launched in 2245, so Archer is definitely dead by now if the bio remains canon.

Darthmaul208 and Darth Caliban like this.
  11. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012

Fuller did mention that he planned on bringing back some old characters. i'm guessing me means via time travel.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  12. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    Maybe T'Pol. She as a vulcan would be still alive.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, I was gonna say -- President Archer's a definite possibility in this time period...

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    He really isnt- unless you both ignore the bio and think Archer would live longer than McCoy, despite the med tech gap.

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Oh, wait, I keep thinking this is 100 years before TOS, not 100 years after Enterprise

16. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Break out the catsuit.

Darth Caliban and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So people, what about the Klingons. WHAT ABOUT THE KLINGONS?! Specifically the foreheads. Well, okay, maybe there will be ridge forehead Klingons and smooth forehead Klingons. That could actually be legitimately neat if they establish a divide between the two.

So, also people, what about the uniforms. WHAT ABOUT THE UNIFORMS?! Like everyone is supposed to be wearing "The Cage" turtlenecks. Unless, in canon, the only example of the turtlenecks is just "The Cage" and "Where No Man Has Gone Before" which means maybe the Enterprise was having a laundry day those days so they busted out the turtlenecks. I can give a pass on that. Okay. Breathe. I'll be fine.

So, also also people, what about the Vulcans. WHAT ABOUT THE VULCANS?! So since Spock is the first Vulcan in Starfleet we can't have a Vulcan on the bridge crew? Well, okay, there's been two TV series without a Vulcan on the bridge. But people like Vulcans on the bridge, dammit. Maybe there will be a work around.

This is basically what will go through my head while watching every episode. The precious, precious canon. Not that I mind all THAT much, the Internet is for No Prizes to explain the for sure continuity muck-ups.

Sarge, Darth_Voider and Darth Caliban like this.
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    -The Klingons will be interesting to see- maybe we'll see, as you suggest, a mix or a transition design. Given their comments on makeup FX I have a feeling we'll see something new, even if it's based on augment virus ones.

-They've also said, I believe, that they're not doing Cage turtlenecks. There could be some kind of specific assignment for the turtlenecks that would allow Discovery to avoid using them since they wouldn't be applicable, like the TNG=starship, DS9=Starbase uniform divide they had for awhile.

-We don't need a Vulcan bridge crew member. Let another species be the starting alien this time. An Andorian would make for a different dynamic, for example. Need a Vulcan for some reason? One can still visit or consult on a mission if need be.

19. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    I hope we finally get to learn more about the "New Humans" from GR's novelization of TMP.

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Tons of Star Trek: Discovery news!

Lead character's name is "Number One" and we wont' know her real name until a few eps in. Homage to Majel Barret's "Number One". However, I do quibble if she's a Lt. Commander then there's the Commander and then there's the Captain and isn't the Commander Number One? Well, whatever.

Fuller and Kurztman wrote hour one and Nick Meyer wrote hour 2!

Fuller actually wants only 10 eps but CBS wants 13. No way he would do a 26 episode run.

Says the story could take place in either Prime or Kevlin timeline But went with Prime so they don't have to butt heads with whatever is happening Over There.

Possibly no time travel in Season 1 (although hasn't been written fully yet) which would make it unique if a whole season goes by sans time travel in Star Trek.

Moar deets in October!

21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    God, I hope Fuller beat Kurtzman with a 4' Discovery model every time he tried to write one of his stupid ideas.

"Maybe we can put a line from Wrath of Khan right h--"

*THWACK*

Sarge, darthtenbiscuits and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  22. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Good to hear they're avoiding time travel for at least one season. This gives the new cast time to settle in without being ushered into the universe by some attempt at shoehorning them into the show by past alumni. Though i'm disappointed that the first two hours are separate episodes, I was hoping they'd do a feature length pilot. 13 episodes feels like a good number - no more, but no less either.

23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm really hoping that hour 1 and hour 2 are basically like the TNG-DS9-VOY-ENT two-parter they just had different writers handle each one. And since Nick Meyer wrote the second episode, I'm fully hoping and expecting some bad guy quoting Shakespere while launching photon torpedoes at the Discovery.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, hopefully it is just like a two-parter. And hopefully CBS airs both episodes because only showing the first half would be a crap move.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Some good news & updates.