main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph “Let's Fly!” - Star Trek: Discovery [Paramount+/Netflix/CraveTV]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, quicker isn't always better. Just ask my ex :p.

Trying to get excited for this (but not too excited, Nicholas Meyer!). Been chipping my way through TOS Blu-Ray set I bought a few months ago as a primer. The subscription thing is annoying, but ironically enough that's the future I suppose.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Since Nick Meyer is writing hour 2, I fully expect a monologue and torpedo launching. I would be rather disappointed if that doesn't happen.

jabberwalkie likes this.
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    And Shakespeare quotes. Monologues with Shakespeare quotes and torpedoes.

Though they may have used all the good ones already.

"Virginity being blown down, man will quicklier be blown up: FIRE!"

BigAl6ft6 and jabberwalkie like this.
  4. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Glad that they're pushing back the release. January always seemed too soon for me, especially since casting is currently underway with no filming having been done. I'll be busy re-watching House Of Cards around that time anyway in the lead-up to what I believe will be the final season.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it's feasible if their original production cycle was filming every fall. Just because the actual air date is pushed back shouldn't affect that. They're just taking extra time to get the initial production elements in place (sets, costumes, CG assets, etc), which won't be an issue for the second season.

And even a May debut gives them enough episodes to measure whether a second season will happen (number of CBSAA subscriptions added, ratings for the pilot on CBS, etc) in time to continue that production cycle.

6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    was reading up on the year Discovery takes place, if we take "10 years before Kirk" as exact.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/2255

Also, Pike is still running the Enterprise! Bring back Bruce Greenwood as Pike!

The2ndQuest likes this.
  7. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    Didn't they say the series is in the TNG continuity and not the reboot continutity?

8. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    Yep, it is. But...you could argue that Pike still has Greenwood's likeness since he was in Starfleet before the events of Star Trek 2009. At the same time, it would likely just confuse the lay viewer, especially if the series ends up going into the Kirk era.

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I just dropped Greenwood mostly cuz A) the world needs more Bruce Greenwood in general and I really dig his performance as Pike and he certainly looks like Pike and why go and recast Pike if you've got a really good Pike already on the roster B) at the press conference, someone brought up Spock's mom Amanda and then Fuller mentioned Wynona Ryder (who played Spock's mom in the 2009 Star Trek movie) so I think he's open to the idea of cast, if not universe continuity, crossover with the Bad Robot flicks.

10. DebonaireNerd

Nov 9, 2012
    I think Greenwood casting is fine, albeit confusion to the casual movie going masses. If the show is restricted to the ten years prior to Kirk, then there's no reason why a casual fan cannot assume that the events of the Abrams-verse still takes place because Star Trek: Beyond will occur no matter which of the two available universes one prefers. I'd go so far to even get Pine to reprise his role as pre-Into Darkness Kirk.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    After seeing Star Trek Beyond, I will also admit it's been gnawing at me what would happened to the USS Franklin in the Prime timeline. Maybe the Prime-timeline never got out as far as Starbase Yorktown / Krall / Franklin.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There might not be a Yorktown but, given the span of events, Krall & the Franklin are likely still stuck in that Nebula.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Michelle Yeoh's casting has been confirmed.

The article has a few details about her role:

It says she'll be playing a Captain named Han Bo- but she's not Captain of the Discovery. She'll be captaining another ship called the Shenzhou. That ship will play a big role in the first season.

What I find interesting is this ties back to the earlier comments from months ago that referenced "crews" plural. So maybe we'll be following multiple ships during the season. Or maybe they're just a recurring ally/enemy.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    More casting news: Doug Jones & Anthony Rapp have joined the cast.

Jones plays Lt. Saru, a new alien species Starfleet science officer, no ship specified in the info. Rapp plays Lt. Stamets, a science officer on the Discovery who specializes in space fungi.

Yeoh's character's name is now Captain Georgiou and her ship, the Shenzou, is a Starfleet ship.

15. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Still cautiously optimistic about this. At least we are getting casting news about this now.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    BTW, if this show is going to be prominently featuring work with a fungus, I have to assume every time someone says "the fungus" my instant reply will be "among us".

Jedi Daniel, BigAl6ft6 and Sarge like this.
  17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    A starship captain named Han? Way to rip off Star Wars, guys! :D

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not Han anymore.

Actually, she's not Han Bo anymore. She could still be Captain Han Georgiou, I suppose.

19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Doug Jones not doing extensive makeup or mocap work would be a fun change. But he's playing an alien but I would hope that it'll be more extensive than the usual "forehead ridge makeup" that populated aliens from the TNG era (they got better at it come Enterprise) And yay for Yeoh. As for the other person, go you! Fungus expert! Space fungus!

I always thought Discovery would have a "name" in the show (at least an actor with a list of creds known beforehand) and right now Yeoh is at the top of the list, unexpected but good. Same with Jones to a lesser extent.

20. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    That's excellent casting news, especially with Yeoh and Jones. I've loved their previous work.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    The casting looks very promising.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Fuller is stepping back afterall. He repeated the schedule conflict issue.

"Ultimately, with my responsibilities [elsewhere], I could not do what CBS needed to have done in the time they needed it done for Star Trek. It felt like it was best for me to focus on landing the plane with American Gods and making sure that was delivered in as elegant and sophisticated a fashion as I could possibly do."

He's still an Executive Producer but his contributions will be limited to the first two episode scripts and the overall direction of the show.

“I’m not involved in production, or postproduction, so I can only give them the material I’ve given them and hope that it is helpful for them,” said Fuller. “I’m curious to see what they do with it.”

However, if his schedule opens up for possible Season 2, "They have my number and if they need me I will absolutely be there for them.”

23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I will say, writing the pilot / series bible / plotting the season arc is a pretty big involvement. I mean, look at Deep Space Nine which, out of all the Trek series, changed remarkably over the course of it's run but there's a through line from "Emissary" to "What You Leave Behind" and it's sort of the same show as it was when it started. The two eps may not slot together as elegantly as something like "Encounter at Farpoint" to "All Good Things..." but the show they made in Season 1 is the show it was in Season 7.

TX-20 and Sarge like this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Small tidbits from Executive Producers. Fuller sez the theme of Discovery is "understanding each other". Kurtzman talks about the 3 actors cast and says Michelle Yeoh's Captain Georgiou "play a part that has so many dimensions". Personally whenever I see a writer or director say the part has a lot of dimensions, I automatically think they're gonna bounce from antagonist to protagonist or protagonist to antagonist or back again. so, yeah, calling it now, Captain Georgiou = shady! Scheming! Good Captain but is Evil Captain, ahhh!!

25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I assume you are unfamiliar with the word "nuance"? To say a character has dimensions means antagonist to protagonist, is....simple.

Ender Sai you explain it to him.