main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Trek forum: Questions, Trivia, Chat...

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by DarthMaul13, Mar 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Cool four piece poster that will be available at comic con.

[image=http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x134/doctorwho_thed/startrekxifull.jpg]
    high res

2. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    I honestly don't see any reason to be exited for the new movie. Imean, yeah, it looks pretty cool, but as a Trekkie, there's nothing really exiting about it. Another continuation of the guys we know and love, that would be exiting. Even a new adventure with new characters, in the existing Trek universe, would be exiting. But Idon't see what's exiting about some guys pretending to be Shatner and Nimoy for a couple of hours, and doing their own little alternate-verse Trek.

Not that I won't go see the film, just for the heck of it. The action looks pretty cool, but let's not forget, it's written by the same guys who wrote Transformers. And the trailers for that looked really cool too.
    Also, it's directed by J.J.Abrams, the man who almost killed Superman.

Now, continuing from our converstion in the other thread...

Nemesis is pretty much considered the movie that broke the every-other-movie pattern with it's massive suckage. For me, it's quite obviously the worst of all the movies. It broght no satisfaction as an end to the series,a ndonly added frustration.

TMP is bad if only because it's just a rerun of the episode "The Changeling."
    WoK? Need I say more.
    I LOVE SfS. Totally don't see how it fits into the every-other-movie pattern.
    Obviously, I love TVH.
    TFF may be the most underrated movie ever. Not great, but certainly not bad at all.
    TUC: Best possible conclusion to the adventures of Captain James T. Kirk and the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise.
    STG: I love it, and I don't think, as so many others do, that Kirk "went out like a punk."
    FC is great.
    STI is also underrated. It's all right, just nothing compared to FC.

I haven't really seen a lot of Enterprise. But it's pretty much a joke trying to fit into contnuity a show which claims that,not only was thereanothership called Enterprise, but it was the first major Earth ship to exploret galaxy, when for nine years we saw Picard's conferenceroom with models of all the Enterprises that came before him, and the NX-01 was nowhere in sight.

Slimy!

3. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    [image=http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/MedievalSam/scraps/enterprise.jpg]

Meh, looks too much like the movie version.

[image=http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/MedievalSam/scraps/uhura.jpg]

This is much better though. =P~

4. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    See that's why I am excited. Everyone involved with the movie has worked on some of my favorite things ever, J.J. Abrams (Cloverfield) & Damon Lindeloff (Lost), and Alex Kurtzman & Robert Orci (Transformers, Eagle Eye).

5. slimybug

Aug 14, 2001
    All I can say is, Star Trek Reboot will probably just aim itself at twelve-year-olds the way Transfomers did, and not offer much of anything of substance.

Slimy!

6. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Dec 26, 2001
    Could be that way, but you need to look at it as an origin story too. There will need to be some action to make up for the necessary action-less scenes to set these characters up.

It's going to be more action-oriented than the older Trek movies, but I wouldn't instantly write that off as "aiming it at 12-year-olds." Transformers was based on a toy line.

7. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004

8. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    How is looking like the movie version a BAD thing? The movie version was the TV version but updated to look like it cost more than $12.75 to build.

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It cost $0. [face_talk_hand]

10. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I never said it was a bad thing. I just wish it was closer to the original version.

And just because the TV series had a low budget doesn't mean it was a bad design. A full CGI rendering of the Enterprise looks sleek, original and still maintains a futuristic look.

[image=http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj75/MedievalSam/scraps/startrek-enterprise.jpg]

But whatever, it's not going to change now. I'm still looking forward to it!

11. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Dec 26, 2001
    I'm enjoying the TNG marathon on Sci-Fi channel today. Haven't seen any good episodes outside of TOS recently.

12. Darth-Floyd

Darth-Floyd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    Yesterday, I watched Star Trek episode four (the Voyage home), and it wasn't even the first in the series:confused:

13. slimybug

Aug 14, 2001
    So has anyone seen the new Trek trailer playing with Watchmen?

Slimy!

14. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    Yeah. It looks like it could be good - I just hope the movie music is better than the trailer music. Everybody seems to love this Giacchino guy, but I'm still skeptical.

Yes, I know I place way too much importance on a film's music. Blame John Williams.

15. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Horner did the best Trek music.

16. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    This is a fact. Although I pretty much enjoy all the original crew scores. Goldsmith's stuff on the TNG movies isn't quite as good as on V and (especially) I. I even like the score for IV; it's unusual, but it works for me. And VI is of course great though very different (my favorite part of VI is the fact that Eidelstein manages to sneak Horner's Spock theme in there).

My ultimate fanboy Trek score would make use of Goldsmith's AND Horner's themes, not to mention of course the original Alexander Courage theme.

17. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I admire Goldsmith's work on Trek, but by the time First Contact came out it was starting to sound a little old. Nemesis was a good score though, and hearing the TNG theme in all its glory at the cinema was always cool.

18. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    On a related note, I finally sat down to watch one of those remastered TOS eps and they cut the singer from the opening theme! I was all, "WTH?"

19. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    What season was it? I think the singer was cut quite early on. [face_thinking]

20. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    Oh yeah, I think you're right. But there's something different about the new recording that's just too much more low-key than the original.

21. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    Great Giggity!

[image=http:///img.trekmovie.com/images/st09/ritcards/08.jpg]

22. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I think the elegance of the original has been lost somewhat.

23. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Dec 26, 2001
  24. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    So who's getting the original series and movies on Blu-ray?

I wouldn't mind them... but can't be bothered to pay for it. :(

25. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Yessiree, bob. I'm back!

Putting it simply - DO NOT BOTHER WITH THE BLU-RAY's!

Well, the movies at least. TOS remastered was brilliant, but unfortunetly, the movies do not have the spruce and sparkle that re-remastered movies should have. For starters, they're the THEATRICAL CUTS of the movies. Okay, that's not really an issue for movies three through six, but "The Wrath of Khan", and especially the Directors Cut of "The Motion Picture" benefitted heavily from the tweaks that were made for the special edition DVD's. Not to mention, I've seen segments of a couple of the movies, and to be fair...they look rubbish! Everything looks flat and lifeless. Frankly, the DVD's release a couple of years ago look way better than the Blu-Ray's do. Paramount were "doing a Lucas", and cashing in, in the light of the new films release.

From what I hear, the reason why the first two movies aren't the Directors Cut's, are because when all the work that was done on them, they were only output to DVD's resolution, so, in order to come up to Hi-Def standards, that would mean Paramount would have to shell out more money on reworking all the new stuff to an even higher quality - a cost that Paramount is unwilling to cough up for.

Pathetic excuse, I know. After all, Paramount has made BILLIONS from the franchise!

In other words, stick with your DVD's, and just upscale them.

...But get TOS on Blu because they DO look the ****!

Anyway, what do I think of the new movie? ******* SWEET!

It was fresh, and just the shot in the arm which was what the franchise sorely needed. Regardless of what some people have said (generally those who can't appreciate what a good story is!), it was a compelling, well thoughtout, and well structured movie, and not the "lightshow" that some people think - mainly NAZI-like purists, or die hard Star Wars fans who refuse to watch it because it isn't Star Wars...you know who you people are! And, I'm not afraid in saying this...it was way better than what Lucas has been dishing out in recent years. What? Yeah, I said it! Get over it.

Putting it in simple terms - it's a good, enjoyable, romp, that has a lot of heart, a great cast who hit every note, and a team behind the project who weren't afraid to bend the rules a little.

Well done!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.