main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek] Illogically Logical (Spock's Diary) Dear Diary Challenge 2009 [Completed 12.31.09]

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by RX_Sith, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Jade_eyes: Unfortunately, yes. [face_whistling]

jazjediundercover: You'll soon see. [face_whistling]

gundarkhunter: Uh oh is right... [face_whistling]

[b]Entry Seven[/b]

Ambassador Spock stood in front of the Romulan Senate. All of the Senators stared with disbelief at the former primary champion of restored relations between the Romulans and the Vulcans.

"Vulcans are not to be trusted," the Romulan attorney spat out to the Senators seated around the ancient chambers, "This one in particular has brought nothing but shame upon not only our people, but his as well."

Spock has decided to not attain a defense attorney. Instead, he represents himself.

"Romulus. My home for the past forty years. When I first came here I was with the underground reunification movement. Hiding in tunnels, working in shadows. But slowly I saw those few Romulans who were open to outside ideas grow into many. Romulan society went through several years of transformation. Curiosity, tolerance, and diplomacy ceased to be forbidden words in the Empire. Finally, immigration laws were passed, and I was allowed to live legally on Romulus. After years of covert resistance, I could finally assume the role of Ambassador and work for peace without fear of reprisal. But there is still a long way to go."

"There is no longer anymore of a way to go, Vulcan," the attorney derided him, "You are no longer an Ambassador."

"Is that true?" Spock asked the Senate, "Have my privileges been revoked."

"Yes, they have," one of the Senators spoke, "You are now a criminal."

"A criminal?" Spock queried with an arched eyebrow, "How illogical?"

"Logic be damned!" the attorney barked at him, "What good is logic without emotions!"

"Indeed," Spock sounded like he agreed with the attorney, "I simply state this to you and the rest of the Senate. Romulus is in danger."

"In danger!" the attorney shouted, "From what?!"

"I'll explain," Spock started, "The Hobus star that has exploded and gone supernova has now caused this system to be in extreme danger."

"In danger of what?" One of the Senators asked him.

"Well," Spock cleared his throat, "The star's eruption days earlier not only obliterated the planet but converted the planet's mass into energy, increasing the star's power. More eruptions have occurred since then and the star's power is increasing in intensity. It is my belief that, now that the star has gone supernova, it will devour not only nearby systems, but the Romulan Empire, as well."

"Preposterous lies!" the attorney yells out.

"But," Spock interrupts the attorney, "There is one solution to this problem."

"And what is that, Vulcan?" the attorney asks with a snicker.

"I propose this solution," Spock states, "You have to use decalithium to create highly volatile "red matter," which can be used to create an artificial black hole that can devour the Hobus supernova before it spreads. However, the technology used to process decalithium into red matter can only be found on my home planet of Vulcan."

"Lies!" another Senator shouts, "All lies! He'll say anything to get us to take him back home! I think he is plotting against Romulus with his Vulcan friends."

"I assure you what I tell you is the truth," Spock states plainly, "The choice is yours, to live.... or to die."

"The evidence from our scientists reveals no threat," the Preator speaks up, "Plus, there is no chance that you will ever see your home again."

Suddenly, Nero appears in the courtroom. He has seen firsthand what the Hobus star did to the system when it forced him to stop mining on one of the planets in the system.

"As much as I don't agree with this Vulcan," he tells the Senate, "I for one have witnessed it's destructive forces. It forced me to abandon my mining equipment. I barely escaped with my crew. I don't know if he had something to do with this or not, but I do believe that it is something that cannot be taken lightly."

"Nero," the Preator summons him, "I know that you mean well, but this is a Vulcan we are dealing with here. His solution is outrageous, drastic, a

2. jazjediundercover

jazjediundercover Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2008
    I have a feeling our Romuluan friends are going to learn the stupidity of ignoring a Vulcan. [face_whistling]

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful detailing of the "trial". :p Glad nero spoke up... he was an eyewitness after all... [face_frustrated] [face_worried] now what?

4. gundarkhunter

gundarkhunter Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 2, 2008
    Hmmm...[face_thinking]

If I had to guess what will happen, I'd say Nero's gonna bust him out.

Don't know why, just a feeling.

5. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    jazjediundercover: In more ways than one for sure. [face_worried]

Jade_eyes: Now for some more of the story. [face_worried]

gundarkhunter: Good guessing for sure. [face_worried]

[b]Entry Eight[/b]

The [i]Narada[/i] streaks through warped space towards my home planet of Vulcan. I am aboard Nero's ship after he had some of his men break me out of my jail cell. They stunned the Romulan guards and then they beamed me aboard their vessel. Nero's mining ship has the equipment needed to extract the decalithium from my homeworld.

I look forward to going home. It is strange that I feel that way. I for some reason miss it. It's highly illogical that I do. If Doctor McCoy was present he would launch into his usual tantrums of my half-human ancestry.

We come out of warp and enter low orbit around Vulcan. "Ambassador Spock," Nero states delicately, "I need you to tell them why we are here."

"Of course," I respond as I hail the Vulcan Assembly. I explain to them the purpose that I am aboard a Romulan ship and tell them about what I plan to do for the most part. "It is the only way to save Romulus," I finish telling them.

They look at me somewhat perplexed about what I have told them. "How do you intend to transport the "red matter" and form a black hole?" they ask inquisitively.

"I have a plan," I tell them briefly.

[hr]

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh yay!!! [face_dancing] Nero's been more help than he'll ever realize. :D :D

7. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Jade_eyes: For now... :rolleyes:

[b]Entry Nine[/b]

Stress emits an emotional response in most life-forms. As a Vulcan, I have been taught to control my fears by facing crisis with no emotional attachments. I have mastered multiple techniques, some would say puzzles, that reinforce the rules of using logic over emotion.

As I board the ship that I have called the [i]Jellyfish[/i], I am intrigued by the possibilities of my upcoming action. There is no room for error with my calculations. The red matter that has been extracted from my homeworld will work I tell myself. I will not get a second chance.

For I am about to change history; something that is not logical to do; but still it must be done. The past must change for the Federation to exist; for Captain Kirk to become the man that he was meant to be, and for me as well.

It will be fascinating what this changed timeline will become. A black hole forms in front of my ship as the red matter is precisely released into the Hobus star. And then I am gone.

[hr]

"Follow him!" Nero barks out to his crew as he watches the star go supernova engulfing the Romulan Star Empire. His ship, the [i]Narada[/i] barely reaches the black hole in time before it is swallowed by the exploding star. And then he is in front of a starship.

"Open fire!" he yells as his ship blasts the gleaming vessel. It starts to erupt and after multiple blasts from his ship it finally explodes in a fiery display. "Find him!" Nero commands his crew, "I will restore the Romulan Empire, I swear! I will destroy Spock and everything that he treasures! I will!"

[hr]

8. jazjediundercover

jazjediundercover Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2008
    Whoa... this is bad. If it didn't work and time didn't change, Spock will have a Romulan hunting him... a hurting and angry Romulan... why do I get a bad feeling about this?

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wow!!! =D= =D= Looks like it worked!!! :D :D

10. gundarkhunter

gundarkhunter Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 2, 2008
  11. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    jazjediundercover: Well, now after seeing the movie three times, we know how everything between Nero and Spock transpired. :)

Jade_eyes: Well, partially unfortunately. :(

gundarkhunter: Thank you. =D=

[b]Entry Ten[/b]

Nero captured my vessel as soon as I had exited from the black hole. He spared my life for one reason; to make me suffer the same fate he had. He marooned me on Delta Vega where I sadly watched helplessly Vulcan disappear into a singularity.

A flood of emotions pierced my weary eyes and I felt the distinct taste of tears for the second time in my life. It was with mixed hesitancy that I even went back to the cave that I had found. Then he came into the cave, being chased by a huge creature. I chased it away and then looked upon the familiar face in front of me.

"Hello, old friend," I stated as he looked bewildered back at me, "You are James T. Kirk."

"Who are you?" he asked wondering.

"I am Spock," I replied.

"bull****," he retorted.

I reached out to him to perform the Vulcan mindmeld. "It is necessary to explain a few things," I explained. I showed him how Nero had captured and marooned me and why Nero was now a "conflicted Romulan".

I begged him not to reveal to my younger self that I was the reason he and Scotty would be on the [i]Enterprise[/i]. I had inputted Scotty's transwarp theory into the buffers of the transporter at the Federation outpost on Delta Vega.

"Live long and prosper," I saluted James T. Kirk with my familiar Vulcan expression. A couple of days later I saw James T. Kirk become Captain of the [i]Enterprise[/i]. I had know set into motion what would be a fascinating friendship with not only him, but the rest of the crew as well.

-----

"Father," a rather familiar voice called out to me.

"I am not our father," I told my younger self, "You must continue in Starfleet", I stated logically.

"But we only have 10,000 Vulcans left," he replied with his own logic, "I must help to rebuild."

"This time though," I replied, "You can be in two places at once. I will help to rebuild our culture. I have already found a new colony for our race."

He merely stared back at me. "Since my familiar greeting would be self-serving," I stated, "I wish you good luck."

I looked upon my younger self one last time and boarded a shuttle headed for the new Vulcan colony.

[hr]

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Awesome update.

=D=
    :D
    I bet this diary is now gonna go in a whole new direction than originally planned. [face_thinking] :) I am always intrigued by how the happenings for the future versions of the characters sets in motion the events of the "present" for the younger selves that the latter think are totally random or coincidental. :D

13. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Jade_eyes: Yes, now the diary will start going in a new direction. It will primarily feature Spock Prime, but I will also include the younger Spock as well.

[b]Entry Eleven: To Boldly Go[/b]

After leaving Earth, I looked upon my younger self with sincere gratitude. We were both starting anew; I on the new Vulcan colony, and he accepting his position in Starfleet. I wonder what will now change and what will stay the same. With the altered timeline, some events may still occur and some may not. I have sworn to myself that I will not reveal what occurs in the past to my younger self or to Captain Kirk.

And yet, maybe I already have. Sooner or later, my younger self will realize that the mind meld I performed with Jim transferred more than the memories of Nero. If he ever mind melds with Kirk, he will pull those memories into his. I sincerely hope that when he does, that he will use them only as needed, and not as firsthand thought processes.

I trust that he will make the right decisions. As for me, I am en route to the planet where the new Vulcan colony will be placed. It is indeed located in a most illogically logical location. And I and my race are now going where no one has gone... before.

[hr]

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful update. :D I must admit, the whole mind meld facet has always been thrilling and compelling to me... :) It seems to transfer not just the facts but the aspects of buried emotion that accompany the sharing /reliving of experiences. [face_thinking]

15. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Jade_eyes: Yes, the mind meld to me transfers more than what Spock says in the Star Trek movie. :)

[b]Entry Twelve: Forever World[/b]

I have left the rest of the Vulcans temporarily while I stay on Forever World; the name of the planet where the [i]"Guardian of Forever"[/i] is located. I know that perhaps in this time period as well that the Enterprise will eventually visit this planet where McCoy rewrites Earth history.

But, now that is it changed, I myself am tempted to go back and change the past so that the future that I grew old in can be restored to its proper existence. I resolutely stand guard at the archway looking at the past that I knew. The Guardian tells me that I can change the past if I so wish to do so.

For now though, I contemplate on what my younger self is now experiencing and soon I realize that I do not want to deprive him of the different challenges and adventures that he will partake.

I place a modified device on the underside of the archway that will alert me of an approaching vessel. I then beam back up to my shuttle and lay in a course to rendezvous with my race. I look back upon the planet one last time and then engage the warp drive.

I look forward to the new beginning that I and my race will experience once we reach our new home world. It is something that will require a new perspective and different philosophies. I wonder if my race will ever be the same as it was before.

[hr]

16. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Starting at Entry 11, I am very intrigued by this fic, RX. I very much enjoy Spock's narration and have no trouble hearing Leonard Nimoy's voice. That is a testament to good writing.

I was not surprised by Spock's visit to the Guardian, nor with the result, but it was nice to hear his laments for a past that now only exists for him.

I looks forward to Spock's thoughts on his new home and how Vulcans must adapt to survive.

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    A beautiful update. I too hear the lament for the altered past but I applaud Spock's decision to allow his younger self the joys and challenges of the new reality. :D [face_love] And I think it must be an indescribable experience for the older Spock--having two experiences of Vulcan--the one he lived through firsthand where his world and culture and his own immediate family did not experience a catastrophic loss and the other that mirrors Leia's loss of Alderaan. :( [face_thinking]

I agree with Brodie--I too hear Nimoy's/Spock's rich eloquent voice. =D=

[:D]

18. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    brodiew: Thanks for your words of encouragement and for reading this story. :) Spock's decisions are logical as to his visit to the Guardian.

Jade_eyes: It was a simple decision to make for Spock Prime. After all, he doesn't want to deny his younger version any of the things that he did in the past; plus he's hoping that things will be different for his younger self this time. Thanks for saying that I am getting Spock's voice right in this story. :)

[b]Entry Thirteen: The Voyage Continues[/b]

I have once again joined the other Vulcans as we continue towards the new Vulcan colony. I have had many talks with Sarek. It is different talking to him as an equal now with regards to our ages and our logic. It makes it fascinating now that he and I are now more alike in regards to our experiences.

I still am very much respectful with him, but now, he regards my words with a new found understanding for what it must have been like for me in my original timeline. I have kept my past as much of a mystery as possible from him. Already, with Sarek joining this voyage to our new home, things have changed for him.

He still holds the Ambassador position for Earth, but I am beginning to wonder if he will continue to do so once we reach our final destination. It will be a very long voyage back to there once we have settled on and established our new colony.

I do not want to change his future at the expense of this new home that we are going to be residing. That is why I do not want to reveal his future passing due to Bendii Syndrome. I also now know that my position as an Ambassador is over due to the circumstances that occurred with Nero. My new mission is to rebuild Vulcan and instead become something entirely different; a citizen.

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Enjoyed that muchly. I always love peeks into the intricate multifaceted relationship between Sarek and Spock. It has had so many ups and downs, so many known and also unvoiced feelings and early tensions and later on a sense of healing the breach and coming to terms. :D I do feel for this Sarek--he has had less years of blessedness with Amanda :( Being a Vulcan fan girl of mammoth proportions, I always felt the lady who landed a Vulcan always came up with the very long end of the stick [face_laugh] [face_dancing]

And being "just a citizen" will be quite a unique and wonderful experience. :)

20. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I do not want to change his future at the expense of this new home that we are going to be residing. That is why I do not want to reveal his future passing due to Bendii Syndrome. I also now know that my position as an Ambassador is over due to the circumstances that occurred with Nero. My new mission is to rebuild Vulcan and instead become something entirely different; a citizen.

Spock's descision not reveal Sarek's Bendii syndrome is logical, and, perhaps he will broach the subject at very much later date. I also enjoy the idea of Spock's new future as citizen.

Good job, RX.

21. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Jade_eyes: Vulcans to me are much more emotionally challenging then they let on. ;)

brodiew: Yes, better to wait until the symptoms present themselves years later than dwell on them now. ;)

[b]Entry Fourteen: New World; New Challenges[/b]

We have arrived at our new home. It lies very close to the edge of the galaxy within an hour of the galactic barrier. In a way, it provides the safest location that I could ever think of. Plus, I know that it will be visited by the beings from the Andromeda Galaxy. I will make certain that they do not kill Yeoman Leslie Thompson or take control of the Enterprise.

It was named the Kelvan Colony by the Andromedans, but not it is the New Vulcan Colony. It has a lush, rich environment with a large moon in orbit. The sky has a violet hue and there is a multitude of foliage variants that surround deep blue lakes. It's a world not too unfamiliar from that of Earth.

The other Vulcan's start to break into specific groups that will start to build a new society. The challenges that await us will be beyond any that I have done before. Never in my life have I paused to "settle down" as the Earth term suggests. It will be most fascinating to see what happens next.

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Super update. :D The new world sounds gorgeous and quite hospitable. :D I feel exciting times are ahead, and that the tranquillity will also be deeply appreciated.

23. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Jade_eyes: Yes, it indeed is a very wonderful and beautiful world. Here is a picture of it:

[image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/7/78/Kelvan_colony_surface.jpg/800px-Kelvan_colony_surface.jpg]

[b]Entry Fifteen: So Much for Being a Civilian[/b]

What was I thinking? Seriously. My so-called life as a civilian lasted but one day. My father, in his infinite wisdom, named me as the head of the New Vulcan Scientific Academy. My task is to hire teachers plus teach as well to the younger Vulcans.

I have accepted the position without question or problems. A long time ago, they selected me based solely on my scientific prowess, but had reservations about my dual heritage. Now, with the rebuilding in progress, such inequities are now extinguished. This new society now treats me as a significant member and I intend to contribute to my up-most ability to it.

With my position comes numerous possibilities. Since we are so far away from the main planets of the Federation, I can embellish certain advances in science that I already know. Since I already showed Scotty transwarp beaming, this is the first advance that I have implemented on our new home.

Others I will [i]invent[/i] as the need arises or when I think that our race is ready for them. It will be my choice alone as to which ones I implement and which ones I do not. I will meet with my father later on and discuss with him our [i]missed[/i] time.

I know that he will probably try to shut me out, but with patience and persistence, I can only hope that he will establish a mutual respect for me; as I have done for him. I look forward to our many [i]talks[/i] together. I will close this will my normal greeting; [i]Live long and prosper[/i].

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    A long time ago, they selected me based solely on my scientific prowess, but had reservations about my dual heritage. Now, with the rebuilding in progress, such inequities are now extinguished. This new society now treats me as a significant member and I intend to contribute to my up-most ability to it."

How ironic that Spock's full acceptance comes on the heels of such cataclysmic loss. :p [face_thinking]

"I will meet with my father later on and discuss with him our missed time. I know that he will probably try to shut me out, but with patience and persistence, I can only hope that he will establish a mutual respect for me; as I have done for him. I look forward to our many talks together."

I too look forward to these meetings. I am completely enthralled by the intricacies and ups and downs of their long and complicated relationship. I know that under it all is a mutual affection and respect. Amanda was the interecessor many times, I know, but without her gentle, loving presence, :_| they will be able to forge bonds to each other that of necessity need to avoid all the insistences on strict logic and "My way or the highway" LOL The tone you have for the part dealing with Sarek is totally Spock. :* :* !!!

I need to tell you how delighted I am with this diary--it fills a passion i've had for a long long long time ;) and that is stirring to life again with renewed umph [face_laugh] and is inspiring me to do a "Nyota" diary for the 2010 challenge.

Huggles!!!!

25. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Jade_eyes: Yes indeed, Spock and Sarek do have very unique and fascinating intricacies which obviously I will explore more.

[b]Entry Sixteen: The Nature of Science[/b]

It never ceases to amaze me how much science is to most Vulcans what chocolate is to most humans. We as a society learn from the first moments that we can walk how to triangulate different locations, do numerous mathematical calculations, and even make major scientific discoveries.

Of course, knowing what I already know, I am able to show the nuances of new and radical scientific theorems and calculations to my associates and teach them in my class at the new Vulcan Science Academy. The use of transwarp for transportation allows anyone on the colony to reach any other known planet and coordinates instantly.

Of course, getting there is relatively easy, the hard part is getting home since transwarp transporters are not yet in use in the Federation. So, I or anyone else can cross the great expanse of space in an instant, but getting back home will for now be something that takes a long time.

I have also had our vessels that we will construct equipped with quantum slipstream drives. These are more stable than transwarp drive and I have figured out exactly how they can work for an extended time. It will of course take years to build these ships but I am in no hurry since I know that time is on our side for now.

More technological advances will be implemented as soon as we have the materials and manpower to build them. For now, I relish teaching about these new possibilities and infinite diversities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.