main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Star Trek: Into Darkness For Star Wars Fans

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Narutakikun, May 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I'm sure there will be a ST: ID thread in the general section, but I thought one here might be useful, if the specific spin on it was this: Once you've seen the movie, what is your reaction as a Star Wars fan, and how does it make you feel about the coming Abrams Star Wars movies? Does it make you optimistic? Pessimistic? Why? How does it make you feel about Abrams as a filmmaker? What do you think went right or wrong with ST: ID? Having seen it, what do you now expect to see in Episode VII?

I figured we'd start a few days early, so maybe early reactions to the trailers can start us out, with reactions to the actual movie once it premieres.

2. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    JJ already made a good Star Wars film, it was called Star Trek so I'm in.

Han Burgundy likes this.
  3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm not a huge fan of Star Trek, but I do enjoy the occasional TOS or TNG episode, as well as a few of the movies (Wrath of Khan is one of my favourite Scifi movies). But I do love JJ's Star Trek, and I went to see Into Darkness the other night - and I must say: it was great! Maybe even better than the '09 film!
    I'd say that Star Wars is definitely in good hands. I only hope JJ will lose the shaky-cam and quick editing - those have no place in Star Wars. But aside from that, I have no worries. JJ knows how to tell a good story, he's great with actors, and he can compose pretty pictures :)

4. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    As a guy who never liked 1 bit of Star Trek my entire life, I really enjoyed JJ's Star Trek film. Hope the 2nd 1 is as good or better, will definitely be checking it out when I can.

KED12345 likes this.
  5. SeinEwigerSchatten

SeinEwigerSchatten Jedi Padawan star 1

May 10, 2013
  6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Fail, ILM was made by Lucas and should be used by Lucasfilm

7. SeinEwigerSchatten

May 10, 2013
    ILM will be used. At least the company logo.

In todays market its normal. Many brands produce in China. Nike, Adidas, wal-mart.

8. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Hopefully the film won't be heavy on the CGI, so it won't really matter.

spicer likes this.
  9. SeinEwigerSchatten

May 10, 2013
    CGI means -Computer Generated Images-. Any modern movie uses CGI today. It is standard. We look at Star Trek Into darkness and the awesome Effects make us believe that all this happen on the screen. A Star Wars movie without effects would be like one o these Lightsaber fanduell movies.

Comparing PT to OT in terms of special effects is also a no go. Because there was no CGI awailable in 1977. Lucas helped to implement these kind of effects. Demanding less CGI in Star Wars means demanding less Star Wars.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  10. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I'm not someone who is against CGI. In fact it doesn't particularly bother me. Most of the time special effects look false to me no matter how they are created. But to suggest that modern movies can't be produced without CGI is just completely wrong. Duncan Jones' Moon barely had any CGI in it. In fact it was virtually all model work and it looks sumptuous. The Evil Dead remake was also mostly practical effects and it was amazing to watch in action.

11. SeinEwigerSchatten

May 10, 2013
    That is a B-movie with Lowbudget and a limited story/props. And it DID use CGI.
    http://www.cinesite.com/

CGI does not mean only computer generated 3D Models. CGI is also Color corection. Light adding, Glow, Background etc.

In ANH the crawl was a huge glasplate and it was pulled from three man and the cameraman filmed it. Today anyone can do that with a PC and a free software. It would be stupidity to try to make it again with a glasplate for Lucasfilm.

Today real productions cant be made without CGI.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  12. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    I said barely any CGI, not completely no CGI.

On top of that what does it matter what the budget of the movie was? If it looks good then that's all that matters surely? In fact after spending $4 billion don't you think Disney would leap at the chance to do the effects for cheaper and use a movie like Moon as a template? It's ridiculous to claim that a set of movie making techniques aren't worthy because they're "low budget".

13. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    I.M.P.S. The Relentless is made for essentially zero budget by fans, and yet still somehow comes off looking like it is an integral part of the SWU. It has fan done CGI and fan made sets and fan done acting, and somehow when you're watching it, it looks pretty much as believable as the actual LFL films.

Chewgumma likes this.
  14. SeinEwigerSchatten

May 10, 2013
    Thanks for prooving my point, that there is no Film possible without CGI.

But it does not look good. There is no action like in Star Trek Into darkness. Its a cheap B-movie and it screams "Hey i am a cheap B-movie! I used WW2 era filming techniques!" :p

Example:
    CGI like in Star Wars PT is awesome because it makes incredible things possible. The asteroid belt chase in Episode 2, The duell on mustaphar, the Coruscant battle.

In one of that scenes at the beginning of ROTS you can notice a piece hitting one of the republican venator cruisers. If you look closely you can notice its the ship toilett of one of the destroyed separatist fregates. :D

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  15. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Yes, I completely agree. I haven't seen any of his movies, but Star Trek. I enjoyed it. But I don't think he's made any GREAT films. Good, but not great. Hopefully he makes a great Episode VII.

16. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    It's a kitchen sink.

17. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Incorrect, ILM will team up with Base FX.
    http://variety.com/2013/film/news/ilm-to-pact-with-chinas-base-fx-1200383782/

It even said in your article that this would be the case.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  18. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    That's a matter of opinion now isn't it. I believe it looked extremely good and the age of the practice doesn't detract from that. That's a horrible mentality to have about movie making in my opinion and doesn't account for the advances made in practical effects since then.

And are you referring to the kitchen sink gag? How does an in joke by ILM enhance the look of a film? The overall effect was achieved practically in Return of the Jedi, which still holds up today. And I personally believe the asteroid belt in ESB is far superior to the one in AOTC. And was achieved with the filming techniques you seem to be rushing to berate.

19. SeinEwigerSchatten

May 10, 2013
    Team up?
    Thats Outsourcing. "teaming up" ;)

20. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Regardless, ILM is still involved in Episode VII's CGI and post-production and it will not be Base-FX taking on the entire role. It's a shared responsibility. And also - Base FX did the CGI for Star Trek: Into Darkness.

Chewgumma likes this.
  21. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013
    Lucas used it in the battle of Geonosis as well as the grainy style of Ridley Scott.

22. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013
    Incorrect, Star Wars OT used Computer Generated Images even back in 1977 -- such as the Death Star wireframe and cockpit displays. Apple II and Atari 800.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.