main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek]Listening, Learning & Loving (NSW Prompt Ficlets) Update: 07/27

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Jan 3, 2016.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    :oops: LOL I thought there would be female cadets. Hmmm. I think I'll post an entry when Ny discovers that detail. o_O [face_rofl] 8-}

2. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Her crush did work out for the best, didn't it? [face_love] I liked the fun sense of reflection here, along with Kyle's new path in life. If he does manage to catch a cadet with stars in their eyes, there's always hope that things will end up well; though Nick will always have Teri there to help set matters straight, of course . . . [face_mischief]:p

As always, a wonderful update! =D=

(EDIT: Me confusing our guys. Fixed now. 8-}:oops:)

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Woot, from Ny's POV.

~!

During a function or other, at Vice Admiral Forsythe's promotion, we met a strikingly lovely sculptress, Leanda Fiorano. She worked in the best marbles and had even turned her hand to the unique but resurgent art of woodcuts.

My interest was piqued, as I loved woodcuts from Europe and Asia of past centuries.

My bondmate engaged her in earnest conversation. I could not pry them apart even when a slow dance began.

When a second such occurred later in the evening, he and I took to the floor for the waltz. "I had no idea you were so interested in art forms - her specialties, that is." I observed.

"I was merely being polite." Was his reply.

Hmmm, I thought, but let it pass.

A couple days later, I noticed in perusing our shared 'Net mail account, that he had sent her a large and encrypted message. Curious, I asked what it was all about.

"Nothing of consequence." He assured, our bond quiescent on the matter.

I was absolutely burning with questions! But I could tell I would get no clues, so I desisted.

+++++++

;)

SQUEEE! already. [face_love]

Chyntuck likes this.
  4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    What is he planning with that encrypted message? Love the mystery

5. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Ooh, that is a mystery! [face_thinking] You definitely have me as intrigued as Nyota is.

And very interesting about the sculptress! What a wonderful medium for her to dabble in. I well understand Nyota's taste. [face_love]

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    From Audrey's POV.

Ms. Cynara Branton settled across from me in my favorite bake shop. Her blue-gray eyes were steady but full of apprehension.

I wondered what a well-publicized forensic scientist was doing contacting me, but as her story unfolded, I felt the very ground shift under my feet.

When I was around 5 years old, my mother and father separated for 18 months. Unbeknownst to me and my mom, until this very moment, he'd started seeing another woman. He didn't stay with her and in fact returned to my mom and after they went through therapy, their relationship was stronger than ever. He didn't know that when he broke it off with this other lady she was pregnant. She never told him, either.

My mom (as I later found out when we talked about this meeting) did know of the brief affair but naturally she was as surprised as I was at this moment.

Cynara had all the evidence I could have asked for. She assured me that she just wanted to connect and find closure and answers and perhaps more family. "I don't expect that right away, and I'm certainly not going to judge you if you never want to speak to me again." She concluded. "But this was something I needed to do, and at the very least, I hope you can understand that."

I frowned. The pastry I had started to eat lay mostly untouched on my plate. "Cynara," I said after a beat, "I do understand. If I were in your position, I'd probably want to meet my "extended" family. But this is going to take some time to absorb and come to grips with."

She smiled. "Believe me, I can absolutely understand that. Here's my comm codes for home and work. Use them if and when you're ready."

We spoke some more about our various careers and hobbies, easing the heavy mood somewhat. We both liked live theater it turned out and water sports.

Jim could tell I was preoccupied. I said: "Jim, this is something I need to think about and deal with on my own for a bit. I'll share when I feel I can."

"As long as it's nothing I did." He half-teased. "No rush. But you can tell me anything Rey."

Recalling his troubled history with his step-dad, I knew he would sympathize. That wasn't the issue. I just needed to work all this new information into my family schema.

At least enough to not feel such a whirl and tumble of emotion, or at the very least, less of one.

++++++

Chyntuck likes this.
  7. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Whew! That was quite the shock for Audrey to digest - I can completely understand her bewilderment at being so blindsided, that's a difficult truth to come to grips with. BUT, after she is through digesting, I am interested to see how her relationship with Cynara progresses. Family in your corner is never a bad thing, and that took guts for her to come out and contact Audrey. I am intrigued as for how the rest of this plotline will go. [face_thinking]

(And, as always, I love, love, love Kirk's support and honest concern/affection here. They've really come a long way, as individuals and a couple. [face_love][face_love])

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Now my turn to use Way with Words.

~~!

As I twirled and dipped in the arms of my bondmate, I kept smiling as I looked at Isabeau and Kyle who were talking animatedly at Teri and Nick's wedding reception.

"Lover," I asked, "Did you ever think the two of them were sparking to one another?"

Spock gave me a pondering look. "During the trial proceedings?"

"Yes, exactly! In between all the high-falluting legalese, somehow they clicked." I smirked. "Goes to show. Sometimes you just have to roll with what is going on beneath all the surface ... like I did with you. I mean, really!" I embarked on some gentle teasing as he raised a brow at me. "No one would ever accuse you of having a way with lyrical verbiage."

"I would hardly think any one would consider me a poet, in the literal sense, I agree." He said with complete aplomb.

"But then it wasn't your poetic turn of phrase that touched my soul." I said, suddenly serious again. "No, it was just the way you seemed to know me and how to make me feel all happy and serene inside no matter what kind of day I'd been having. Still working out that way, I'll have you know."

"Is it?" He replied, softly.

In the midst of other dancers, I pulled us both to a stop and drew him in for a kiss, a long ardent one. The other guests would likely put it down to wedding reception induced euphoria. Which it was -- but it was also him.

I thought he might disengage quickly but he did not. He tangled a hand in my loose waves of hair and stroked my bare right shoulder with the other. I purred.

"Nyota?" He said at last. "I believe the music has ceased."

"Has it? I still hear a melody." I answered tenderly.

++++

:D :D

Chyntuck likes this.
  9. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Perfect squeelishious entry showing how deep their love is

10. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, this beautiful moment was a wonderful way to use the prompt! Perhaps Spock's not a poet in the literal sense - I loved that line ;) - but most definitely a way with words, nonetheless. The last line of this was especially lovely. The perfect cap to the scene. [face_love][face_love]

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    After reading some nummy Luke-centered posts, ;) I'm ready to do an Audrey/Jim thingy.

I commed Cynara and said: "Look, this is probably as much of a surprise for you as it was for me, except coming from the opposite direction and you've had longer to get used to it. took a lot of courage to reach out to me. I'm not promising anything earth-shattering, but maybe we could stop by a bake shop after work one day and get to know each other better?"

Cynara beamed. "That's much more than I could have expected or hoped, Audrey. That would be nice, thank you!"

As it turned out, we had quite a few things in common. Our favorite colors - in the same family of colors. Hers was turquoise, mine teal.

Since we both liked water sports, we spoke about fun times we had enjoyed rafting down picturesque rivers and visiting famous waterfalls.

We chatted amicably about plays we'd seen and those we had gone back to enjoy a second and third time. Cynara was particularly fond of live drama that included music whereas it was fine for me but not a necessary ingredient.

And we were both fiends for any kind of cobbler. Her favorite was cherry, mine apple.

I smiled. "Bonding over food - is there anything more universal?"

"I don't think so." she grinned.

~!

I told Jim everything that night as we sipped mugs of hot chocolate. Mine had extra large marshmallows added; his had cinnamon sprinkles as well.

"'Rey," He said when I finished, "Wow, that was quite the reveal!"

"Sure was. Would you mind if we had her for supper sometime soon?"

He smiled. "Of course not. Too soon to know I suppose, but how do you think the two of you will ..." He trailed off, thoughtfully. "think of one another eventually, sort of sisters, friends connected by blood?"

I laughed and then sighed. "Maybe, I won't try to put a label on what she and I will call ourselves in relation to one another, at least not right away. Less pressure -- you know?"

Jim slipped an arm around me and squeezed. "You're an incredibly open-hearted woman, Audrey. Doubtless why you didn't kick me to the curb when you came back."

"Hey. I'll have you know - it wasn't as hard a resell as I wanted you to think." I smirked.

He laughed. "Did I have you at hello, again?"

"I wouldn't go that far, nerf-herder." I retorted, leaning in for a kiss which contradicted my demurral.

+++++

Chyntuck likes this.
  12. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Leanda is nice and a great friend to Audrey. Love to see more of her.
    Jim a nerf-herder[face_laugh] he is just like Han, always in for adventure and trouble

13. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I am delighting in reading about Audrey's relationship with Cynara so far - though she doesn't want to put a label on it, yet, I can really see this being a great friend/sister for her in the future, and I love that she is opening up her heart for that possibility, too. The things they had in common were lovely, as was her coda conversation with Jim. As always, their banter is spot on and heartwarming to read. [face_love][face_love]

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL Was going to wait to post this but can't. :D

~!

Isabeau commed me and said we had been invited to spend a weekend with friends of friends of Kyle's. Did I want to come too?

"It's near a lovely nature preserve." She concluded.

"I'll check and get back to you but I think it's a go." I answered. I smiled softly. "You officially with Kyle now? That was fast."

She grinned. "I wasn't expecting it so quickly, but it looks like it."

"That's wonderful." I said sincerely.

Having just celebrated a wonderfully tender anniversary of my own, I was still floating in a romantic haze/daze and that was spilling over into elation for anyone who was embarking on a relationship.

I could genuinely wish the best for Isabeau and Kyle.

++++

Chyntuck likes this.
  15. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    And that's just perfect for all the ladies.

16. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Aww, but I loved her joy for her friends here. I can well understand her wanting to share the same happiness she found. This was a very heartwarming update. [face_love][face_love]

17. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Great romancing all around.

earlybird-obi-wan likes this.
  18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL from Audrey's POV

I was exiting a conference room where I had met with the representative of a Children's After-School Recreational Fund. I had enjoyed meeting with Leslie Valridge.

I met Jim coming out of another conference room. His expression wasn't as sanguine, so I knew it hadn't been pleasant.

"Hey. You tangled with Admiral Rossi again?"

"Carolin Rossi is a stickler for the regs and no exceptions. She gives me a real pain."

I stifled a laugh. "In the neck?"

"Lower down in the anatomy, Audrey."

We laughed.

He drew me into a small alcove and kissed me softly. "How did your meeting go with Ms. Valridge?"

"It's a guy actually, with one of those first names that could go either way." I answered, smiling. "It went very well. I signed up for a regular contribution for us but also signed up to be part of the volunteers teaching swimming on the weekends and other water sports."

"You'll enjoy that. Who got you in touch with one another, by the way? I don't think he contacted all the Fleet staff, did he?" Jim asked thoughtfully.

"It was Cynara who mentioned me to him. I didn't mind actually. I like the whole idea behind the program and like even more getting involved."

"With the kids." Jim added.

"Of course; you don't think I meant with Mr. Valridge..." I rolled my eyes. "You hungry?"

"Aren't I always?" Jim said rhetorically.

"It's a Rancor pit in there," I agreed.

He laughed. "Hey! I need a reward for all that hassling and fussing."

"Be extra nice and I'll give you some fine dessert this evening." I promised.

"I'm always nice, and just for that, I might be tempted to find Admiral Rossi for another discussion."

I smirked. "Let's go to Loud Mouth Burgers and get something quite unhealthy but very delicious. I'm craving their milkshakes and fries."

+++++

AN: There really is a local eatery by that name ;) and their stuff is delish! =P~

Chyntuck and RX_Sith like this.
  19. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Great to see them get together for some dinner at the burger joint.

20. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Jim sure doesn't like the top brass. Love Audrey getting involvd with a kids program

21. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    [face_love] Oh, but there is just such a delightful couple feeling to their interactions here!

I especially loved:

"It was Cynara who mentioned me to him. I didn't mind actually. I like the whole idea behind the program and like even more getting involved."

"With the kids." Jim added.

"Of course; you don't think I meant with Mr. Valridge..."

[face_laugh][face_love]

I adore that her relationship with her sister is progressing, and I equally enjoyed the banter in this one. Well done, as always. =D=

22. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL - I love cross-fandom references and to my knowledge the only official designation is "UFP." :D @};-

24. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    All caught up!

It's nice to see Audrey and Nyota developing in parallel in this story. Two characters, twice the mush :) I liked the introduction of Cynara -- that's another good female character to add to your arsenal and it seems it will bring out all sorts of interesting traits of the usual cast.

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    AN: Isabeau & Nyota talk after the developments between Kyle and Isa.

~!

"Do you think it's too soon?" Isabeau asked, sipping her hot chocolate. The evening was chilly as we sat on a glider swing and watched the fireflies flit in the twilight.

"No," I answered, savoring the extra whipping cream in my mug of sweet liquid. "If you're certain, why wait?" I chuckled.

"I want you to be one of my bridesmaids." Isabeau replied, apparently happy to have my unreserved approval.

I grinned. "It would be my pleasure!"

Isabeau confided: "I dated Mr. Westphal briefly. He is very congenial and a truly fine colleague. But ..." She shrugged.

I nodded. "I can empathize. I've had guy friends who could have turned into something deeper but didn't. It wasn't a reflection on their character or anything. Things just didn't ... click romantically is all."

Isabeau laughed. "That's it exactly! With Kyle - obviously they did."

"I'm just thrilled it's reciprocal. Nothing more disheartening than unrequited affection!"

++++++

RX_Sith likes this.