main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek]Listening, Learning & Loving (NSW Prompt Ficlets) Update: 07/27

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Jan 3, 2016.

1. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Great that Nyota will be Isabeau's Maid of Honor.

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Love to see this.
    Nyota will have some things to do;)

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    AN: Writing of something near and dear to my heart. @};- [face_batting]

Ny's POV.

Faith is something that resonates with me. I believe that it should influence and motivate and inspire. It should infuse one's thoughts and feelings and actions with a source of strength and to grow as a person and develop a focus on others that is compassionate and helpful.

In selecting a belief system, I feel that it should be evidence-based - not a mishmash of ideas and speculations. The evidence does not have to come from science per se or something of that nature but the truths they set forth shouldn't contradict but instead dovetail seamlessly.

As an example, to think that the world rests upon a turtle that rests upon an elephant even hundreds of years ago would have broken the bounds of credence.

In discussing such things with my bondmate, I was hesitant at first. Would he think of a belief in the Creator as something that could not be proven and thusly of little worth beyond an emotive palliative?

As I discussed what I felt to be evidence proving such - he told me plainly that he respected my need and desire to hold such beliefs and that to see the marvels of the universe and not to know they had come from the wellspring of immense power and directed intelligence -- would be the height of irrationality.

I smiled. "And He is also the personification of love. Every action is impelled by that principle-guided emotion."

Spock perused the article opened on my datapadd, reading several paragraphs.

"See this text here? It must be speaking about earth-bound blessings, not heavenly ones." I continued, scrolling to one in particular.

"I must confess to you, Nyota, that these points are very well-articulated and set forth." He observed with admiration.

I felt a happy thrill. "I am so glad you think so as well, darling." I said.

As I worked in the flower garden that evening, coaxing wine-colored roses to bloom, I hummed the refrain of a song of worship I particularly loved.

"Just see yourself, and see me too,

Just see us all in a world that is new.

Think how you’ll feel, how it will be,

To live in peace, to be truly free.

No evil one will then prevail;

Rule by our God cannot ever fail..."

++++++

:D :D Awesomeness!

Source is: http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102009214

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 and RX_Sith like this.
  4. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Faith and love are indeed a powerful combination.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  5. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Love the song and the thoughts that it evokes

6. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    That was a beautiful exposition on the theme of faith! I enjoyed every word of it, and can particularly empathize with Nyota's POV in this section. This:

As I discussed what I felt to be evidence proving such - he told me plainly that he respected my need and desire to hold such beliefs and that to see the marvels of the universe and not to know they had come from the wellspring of immense power and directed intelligence -- would be the height of irrationality.

Was expressed so very beautifully. [face_love][face_love]

=D=[:D]

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    From Audrey's POV - taking up about plans with Isabeau.

~!~!

Nyota and I and Isabeau laughed and chatted merrily as we rolled coconut rum balls in even more coconut. Then we placed them on cookie sheets and baked them until golden brown.

"My family always called these snowballs." I commented. "I guess traditionally they're supposedly a winter/holiday thing but we had them year round."

"My Mom's best friend had a decadent recipe." Nyota chimed in. "She put mini butterscotch morsels in them."

"Oh yum!" Isabeau exclaimed. "Let's do that with the next batch."

"So, how many kids are going on your camping trip?" Nyota asked.

"Ten with 18 adults. Just about the best ratio. Good mix too. Some of them have troubled families and some are in foster care." I elaborated. "Sometimes as you know, Yellowstone has freaky summer weather but it looks like it'll be calm the week we're there. I am glad two of the kids I have gotten closest to will be going - Holly and skyler. I think particularly Skyler will be someone who will relate to Jim quite well."

Nyota smiled. "My sister and brother-in-law are and have been for some time now involved in fostering. They have found it challenging but also deeply rewarding!"

When the treats were done, we had a ridiculously unrepentant time devouring them, one of the plain snowballs and two (or more) of the chocolatey ones.

++++++

RX_Sith likes this.
  8. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    A lovely time for the ladies and an excellent idea, caring for those kids needing all the love one can give

9. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    A great getaway for the kids to be involved with a camping trip.

10. Kurisan

Kurisan Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    gg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  11. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Aand this update left me with a hungry sweet tooth, in the best of ways. ;)

But I love the ladies reflecting on the joy of helping the kids - that camping trip sounds rewarding in more ways than one. [face_love]

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004

Jim scooped me up and twirled me around as we approached a lake with crocuses blooming alongside.

"This is very relaxing." He told me as he put me down and grinned. "There's something about frankfurters and marshmallows roasted over a campfire ..."

"Yes." I agreed. "You can just feel the tension melting away can't you?"

"Sure thing. 'Rey, it's a totally different kind of stress from being in the midst of a tight, change-by-the-moment crisis. You have to find ways to unwind and re-energize ... or else." He finished thoughtfully.

"I wouldn't mind getting away from everything more than a couple times in six months." I chuckled. "Really away - no commpagers allowed!"

He laughed and kissed me. "That goes without saying."

Later I found out that Holly had observed our playfulness and affection. This was quite different from her sometimes chaotic home life since her mother was raising her and her siblings without their biological father around. "She keeps bringing guys around like we're supposed to instantly "adopt" them as part of the family." She told me in a disgusted tone.

I grimaced. "That sounds distinctly unpleasant!" I commented.

"I'd just like something approaching "normal." She confided. "Before - they argued all the time. Seeing happy couples and talking to the other kids - at least I have hope things could get better, eventually..."

I squeezed her shoulders. "It can't be easy for your Mom either." I pointed out. "But I think if you shared some of these feelings with her, it'd make things easier between you guys."

Holly pondered this suggestion. "Couldn't hurt." She decided.

Skyler and Jim talked a blue streak about anything remotely mechanical that flies. Taking models apart, tweaking actual machines to make them go faster more quickly.
    I was happy to see this.
    Skyler was hoping to be permanently adopted but he was older than most prospective parents usually preferred. He wasn't a problem per se behavior-wise but prospective adopters liked getting kids at the infant/toddler age range.

I felt a pang and started to think - could we adopt ourselves? If not Skyler specifically, someone in need of a home?

It definitely was worth considering.

++++++

earlybird-obi-wan and RX_Sith like this.
  13. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    That would be great if Jim and Audrey adopted whether it be Skyler or someone younger if they don't want to start a family themselves yet.

14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Jim and Audrey will be lovely parents for children in need

15. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, that outing sounded completely lovely - in more ways than one. I heartily approve of the direction their plot is taking, as well. Jim and Audrey would be the best for giving a caring home for those who need it - and I look forward to seeing their family grow! [face_love][face_love]

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    From Audrey's POV

When we found out the Enterprise was being refurbished, I saw a gleam come into Jim's eyes, and I thought "ouch! Already?" Would the love of adventure and discovery pull him away from me? I knew that if I even seemed to judge or be non-encouraging - he might capitulate - but could also as a result resent me for it, and that could drive a wedge between us. That was the last thing I wanted!

So, it should come as no surprise that I felt torn in two. Very much so.

When I confided these feelings and misgivings to Ny, she gave me a warm hug of commiseration. "You've never pushed or demanded your way Audrey." She said. "If he does go along with your preferences, it will be because he truly cares for you and your family and wants to make the sacrifice. I think he's mature enough to do that without sulking." she grinned.

I felt a load lift from my shoulders. Her compassionate and perceptive input put my heart and mind at ease.

"And I probably could let him have one more jaunt." I conceded laughing. "If it was truly necessary or urgent."

She answered: "Yes and I know he would certainly discuss it with you whatever the eventual choice."

+++++

:cool: :)

RX_Sith likes this.
  17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Audrey is very compassionate and I think Jim will stay with her after that urgent emergency.

18. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Audrey's concerns were completely understandable, here, and I loved that Nyota could help put them to rest. I don't think that she has to worry for Kirk putting her first, however, they've certainly come a long way. [face_love][face_love]

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I gaped at McCoy. "Really?! When Teri commed me, I didn't believe it so I had to come and find out firsthand."

He laughed. "Nyota, if Jim can put down roots, so can I. I'm not the wandering type, as well you know. Direct patient care is fulfilling, but I'm ready to ..." He trailed off.

I grinned and gave him a spontaneous hug. "Have your cake and eat it too. Fulfilling work and a lovely lady to warm you up good and proper."

"Jim and Audrey made that side of things seem particularly appealing." He conceded after a beat.

I smiled fondly. "You ol' squishy marshmallow."

"Hmmph!" He said in feigned irritation. "Where'd I put that gimer stick of mine?"

I laughed even more. "Nuh-uh. You have to expound in authentic Yoda-speak before we tell you where it is!"

He smirked. "You're incorrigible, Nyota."

"Yes, Len, I have heard that from more sources than I care to admit!" I teased.

+++++

[face_laugh]

RX_Sith likes this.
  20. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Great that McCoy has discovered a newfound love and that he refuses to speak like Yoda.

21. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    And he is a Star Wars fan. Love McCoy meeting Nyota

22. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    "Hmmph!" He said in feigned irritation. "Where'd I put that gimer stick of mine?"

[face_laugh][face_love] This was a great glimpse into Nyota and McCoy's friendship! I loved the warmth and the teasing between them.

23. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I wish I could "like" this one, like, fifty times! I love that song too. And that is exactly what I think Spock would think about the existence of a Creator.

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Cowgirl Jedi 1701 thank you for replying and I am so chuffed you love that song. It resonates doesn't it? This thread will be continuing, but just with an adjusted title designation, i.e., not a DDC entry. @};-

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Using confession

Funny, Isabeau thinks. When you're dating, you don't exactly tell him your true dislikes and likes when it comes to food or hobbies. You go along to get along just to say you've given it a chance. Case in point, liver pate and haggis. Kyle is adventurous so you decided to try. She had and claimed the flavors were "interesting." That was the tactful version. Then when it came to hiking through mountains. Isabeau was more for sitting by the fire or sailing serenely across a mountain lake with a packed lunch hamper.

When she confesses this to Kyle, he laughs and hugs her. "No big deal." He tells her with a shrug. "This from a guy whose favorite food for dinner is bacon cheddar burger pizza."

++++++

[face_laugh]