main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story Star Trek: Medbay mayhem (prompt challenge)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by earlybird-obi-wan, Mar 12, 2014.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Cool stuff ;) that Nick is a collector. [face_mischief]

2. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    “Or an ex with no love for great things,” McCoy continued.

[face_laugh]

I nearly spilled my coffee with that line! Once again, this was a delightfully fun piece! :) =D=

3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    He is and McCoy was
    More fun here

Stroll in a garden

Spock stood before the entrance of the hydroponics and heard the soft discussion of the two who had preceded him to enter.

“And Mustafar had the fire and lava.”

“But I loved the Naboo scenery and look at that,” Nick pointed to a brightly coloured flower in the hydroponics garden.

“That resembles one from the Theed gardens,” McCoy smiled “and…”

“What’s Teed?”

“It is Theed,” McCoy voiced and turned around with Nick to see Jana John stepping from behind one of the beds with flowers where Jenna Cole was busy.

“Theed,” Jana shrugged with her shoulders “what’s Theed?”

“It is the capital of Naboo,” Nick replied. “Cole and Jenna know all about it.”

“Naboo is in a galaxy far far away or known to most of us as the Star Wars universe,” Spock had entered very silently the garden “McCoy and Dr Roberts can tell you all about their pastime. And those Paphiopedilum hennisianum were used to decorate the scenery.”

“Ah our elf knows even that,” McCoy began to smile when he reached down to pick up a fallen Venus slipper flower.

“Elf?” Spock had his eyebrows crawling up to his hair.

“Celeborn presented this flower to his lady Galadriel,” McCoy gave the orchid to Spock.

“She will love the flower,” Spock took it and resumed his stroll through the hydroponics towards the next exit. And his sharp ears picked up a beginning discussion about Celeborn and Galadriel. A knowing look passed his features when he heard Jenna inviting Jana to come and watch all the Tolkien movies, followed by Nick with an invitation to a Star Wars marathon. Jana and Marc had to catch up on a lot of movies. And Spock? He had other ideas and the flower was perfect.

AzureAngel2 and Nyota's Heart like this.
  4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh, yes. She will love it. ;) :D Love the just-becauseness of the orchid. [face_love]

5. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    The cross-fandom references in this collection never fail to make me smile! :D And Spock with the flowers and his ideas - all of the boys goofing off in the gardens, really - was just lovely. [face_love]

6. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    a more serious item with

Trial by fire

“Your graduation was truly a trial by fire,” McCoy commented when he was leafing through the released pictures on the face-book account of the federation SEAL community.

“It was,” Nick was all smiles. McCoy had him recognised immediately on the picture of the dirty soot covered man that was standing just outside the close quarters combat building where smoke was still belching out of the windows.

“But I never knew you were a sniper too,” McCoy had another picture on the screen where Nick was cleaning his rifle.

“I became a sniper after my first mission as medic on the team. I had to defend our position until exfil and my commander commented on my sharp shooting skills.” Nick told more about that fateful mission where he had injured his left ankle and ended “being a sniper you have to be awfully patient.”

“And that ended you as a sleep-doctor in a small country hospital until you applied for starfleet,” McCoy grinned.

“Caring for patients as a very patient sleep-doctor,” Nick hit the key for next on the board. “And this is…” He felt a soft vibrating feeling on his hip and saw McCoy getting uncomfortable too.

Beeweep beeweep

“Duty calls,” McCoy followed by Nick sped away through the door of the rec-room towards the turbolift.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb added details on Nick's back-story. :cool: An intriguing batch of competencies and skill sets. [face_thinking]

8. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I liked learning more about Nick in this one; what a fascinating group of skills. [face_thinking]

=D=

9. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    He will display these skills soon

Stalemate

“We can’t go further without endangering the patient,” Nick looked up with a desperate look showing through his clear-plastic visor from behind the green sheet that separated him from the sterile environment where McCoy was trying to save the life of the woman and her unborn child. “I have maxed the pain-medication but I have to raise her BP and she will become aware of the situation.”

“Stalemate,” McCoy muttered.

“Hey chess,” Nick’s eyes blinked briefly. “Spock is good at it and…”

“Marc,” McCoy interrupted and continued with a staccato voice “get Spock here on the double. He can use his skills to keep the patient unaware.”

- - -

Nick had been amazed when the fluttering eyelids of his patient opened briefly and showing fright in eyes that relaxed soon and closed under the guidance of Spock’s hand with fingers placed at certain points. He had seen McCoy giving the newborn to the waiting hands of Jana John. He had helped to transfer the patient to her bed and room and was now checking the vitals.

“She will be asleep and dreaming until her son and husband is with her,” Spock assured Nick.

“And you can go back to your game of chess,” Nick smiled “or…”

“That one,” Spock headed to the door. His beloved certainly had to be told why he spurted away in the middle of a nice dinner.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Ohh, yes. I will definitely write the sequel to that one!!!!!! :) [face_sigh] Thanks oodles! ^:)^

11. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Now that was a unique interpretation of the prompt! I am glad that Spock could be of use; that is definitely a great story to have to share! [face_love]

12. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    It seems that I miss jolly good & spicy updates each time RL has me in its grip: hosting old friends, going to the movies, having game evenings with new friends, my activities as a kindergarten teacher (= year planing of the kindergarten year with the rest of the team & the chair persons, parental evening for all parents, lantern making, parental evening just for the group, long weekly team meetings, supervision sessions with my team), being the fitness centre for either my two fitness programs, my Yoga course, my spine gymnastics course or wellness moments, meeting other SW fans in Berlin, visiting my family & having special evenings at home just with my husband.

I love the way you write Spock, so cool & yet so passionate at the same time. You bring the different sides of his half-human, half-Vulcan character perfectly together.

And I love the banter & the mush.

At the end of a long day, with a lot of working & later on net working in private life, those are smiley moments for me.

But sorry, when I cannot be that regular a fanfic reader at present.

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I love the way you write Spock, so cool & yet so passionate at the same time. You bring the different sides of his half-human, half-Vulcan character perfectly together.

Mmmmmmm. Nummy in my tummy! Very well put AzureAngel2 !!!!! =P~ That is exactly what I have loved about Spock since day #1 ^:)^ ... he just needed the right lady to bring that to the forefront. [face_dancing] :) :)

14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    And you did:*
    Spock is amazing;)
    I would like to see you back

The next one takes place during 'What matters most'

Rushing Headfirst
    Unable to do more than stare towards the ceiling of the medbay and listen to the beeps and clicks and the ventilator rushing air in and out of his lungs Nick was remembering the days on Iriona II.

Nick had gone with a patrol after a redshirt ended up on the table. He had instructed Omali and his redshirts at close quarter combat. But one of them – Burke – had paid less attention. Nick had yelled at Burke who had been rushing headfirst towards the door of the building. And he was glad that Burke had followed his barked command to enter the ditch. That the redshirt was now suffering from stomach cramps and vomiting thanks to the indescribable mayhem found in that ditch was of no concern. He had returned alive, had been in the porta-shower for a very long time and had to endure the comments of his mates.
    ‘I should have listened to you because now I had to take cover immediately’ was what Burke had said before Nick gave him a pill to combat the nausea and the ‘bugs’ he had collected in the ditch.

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Very good use of the prompt. Absolutely fits, rushing headfirst into action.

earlybird-obi-wan likes this.
  16. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Yep, that definitely fits the prompt. Poor Burke! :oops: But I really liked seeing Nick's taking charge in leading his men here. [face_love]

=D=

17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Nick paid dearly for the next piece of action

And the next one is a follow up leading to a diary next year

Orbit

‘We will be entering orbit and…’

Nick heard the words spoken by the captain being cut off by someone – most likely McCoy – entering the medward. He knew why.
    The IV-bag dangling from its pole was nearly empty and more likely McCoy didn’t want to hear it either. It was the end of the mission for them.
    McCoy had resigned after he had to deliver the news of his discharge. And no he didn’t approve of Jim taking that desk-job with those top-brass nitwits either.

“It’s the end of the tour for us,” McCoy began to replace the IV-bag. “But be sure Nick I will be visiting you in Coronado Seaview hospital.”

“Coronado Seaview hospital but,” Nick started.

“It’s private, it’s expensive but it will give you the best treatment and hope to recover,” McCoy interrupted. “Kyle Crisson has been busy and I managed to secure a job at that place. And you will have your lovely nurse to take care of you. We will guide you to your new medbed.”

Nick was speechless. Tears were appearing in his eyes. His friends would be there when he would make the last journey on a federation shuttle.

“I know what you are thinking,” McCoy began to smile and placed a wipe in Nick’s right hand.

“No transporter for you,” Nick grinned. “You hate the thing and no argument with the pointy eared hobgoblin will change that.”

“No but I will miss him.”

“And his lovely ashal-veh,” Nick wiped his face dry.

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Bravo on a great and warm-fuzzy conclusion. =D=

19. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    This was a bittersweet read; an end of an era, of a sorts, but with such strong ties as the ones they've forged, it's not quite the end of their tale together. Beautiful. [face_love]

20. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    more is coming
    this is a sequel to the last post

Last one to know

“Hey stop that,” Nick had been in Starfleet for only five years with fifteen months on the Enterprise and he was glaring daggers at McCoy who was busy installing him on a transport-stretcher.

“What,” McCoy turned the switch on the pump when Spock entered with Uhura to say goodbye.

Nick – of course – was quite the protesting type because the stretcher wasn’t known for comfort. It was a frame with an air-mattress that when strapped around the patient and deflated formed a rigid cocoon.

“There you are ready to go,” McCoy had the mattress deflated and made sure that the IV-bag was secure.

“You can be moved by transporter if you like,” Spock bowed down to the now helpless strapped Nick.

“And that Mr. Spock,” Nick began – seeing the smile on McCoy’s face – with a serious voice “is something I never liked.”

“Never but…” Spock left eyebrow lifted almost up to his hair when he turned from Nick to McCoy. “You made numerous transports by transporter and you are the same as him?”

“Yes,” Nick laughed. “You are the last one to know. We doctors don’t like it when we are scrambled into energy-soup, not knowing if our bodies are the same when we come wherever the piece of mayhem is getting us.”

“And that’s why Kyle Crisson has a shuttle ready for us,” McCoy began to push the stretcher towards the door. “Let’s go to Coronado Nick.”

“And for us it’s Paris,” Uhura took Spock’s hand in hers and followed McCoy and his charge.

“Paris,” Nick had a sad look passing his face. “One of my deployments took me there. Kyle knows.”

“I can ask him?” McCoy stopped briefly at the intersection leading to the transporter-room.

“You can,” Nick answered. “Paris had us joining starfleet. Kyle was assigned to the Enterprise and I joined the medical staff at the academy.”

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb. LOL on the energy soup. Yay for Paris and warm farewells.

22. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    “Yes,” Nick laughed. “You are the last one to know. We doctors don’t like it when we are scrambled into energy-soup, not knowing if our bodies are the same when we come wherever the piece of mayhem is getting us.”

[face_laugh]

That was the best; heartwarming and amusing all at once. [face_love]=D=

23. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    And she has an unexpected gift
    There is one more who doesn't like transporters

The greater joy in giving
    “Hey look at that,” McCoy guided the stretcher with Nick inside the large hangar where shuttles were ready to transport their passengers. “Cole and Jenna are here.”

“Cole,” Nick tried to turn his head and found out that he couldn’t do it that much in the restricted space the air-mattress was giving him when he heard the soft sounds of footsteps coming nearer. “You don’t like the scrambler either?”

“No,” Cole bowed down to be in Nick’s sight. “I don’t and Jenna – usually not minding at all that she is transferred into flying particles – got a gift from Uhura that she is very reluctant to go with through the transporter.”

“A gift,” Nick got gleaming eyes. “Can I see it?”

“Sure,” Jenna began to search in her bag. She held a transparent box before Nick’s eyes. In it was a figurine of a brown and beige clad man holding a lightsaber.

“You got one of those originals,” Nick recognised immediately the figurine. “It is Obi-Wan Kenobi from attack of the clones and quite old.”

“Uhura found it in an antiques shop in San Francisco after she had gone through debriefing at headquarters,” Jenna put the box back in her bag. “Yesterday she came back to the Enterprise to give it to me saying that she was delighted to find it and give it to me.”

“Ah the greater joy in giving,” Nick smiled. “Come and see me when I am settled in with Teri and Jessy. I have some figurines you would like to see too. And there are the movies to watch.”

‘We have to go,” Jenna turned towards a waving man.

“Or we will miss the bus,” Cole said. “I wish you a speedy recovery and see you.” He ran with Jenna to the waiting shuttle.

“And there are those delightful Luke and Mara comics,” McCoy began to guide the stretcher to their waiting shuttle. “You are quite the collector and a lover of the extended universe stuff.”

“I will be busy reading them again,” Nick had a serious frown on his face.

“If you get the chance between treatment and exercises and visits,” McCoy winked with his left eye.

“Teri and Jessy have seen the movies,” Nick said. “And the first thing Jessy said after she discovered and read the Thrawn books was that she would love to see more Luke and Mara.”

“I have the entire series,” McCoy secured the stretcher. “We will be busy.”

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Aw, super use of the prompt. :D Just the thing/gift to give. A perfect keepsake.

25. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I loved the use of this prompt; a perfect keepsake indeed! [face_love]=D=