main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek] My Family of the Soul. (DDC 2015) Complete: 12/03/15.

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Jan 1, 2015.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    by Nyota's Heart - Disclaimer: Borrowing for fun and with love!

AN: Diary of friendships, romantic, and family ties. :)

My sister, Kashore, gave me a bound leatherette notebook. She knew that I loved handling actual paper & pen in lieu of the ever-useful padd & stylus. "Chronicle your thoughts and feelings in these pages while we're apart." She wrote on the flyleaf. "Nyota, it'll be the next-best thing to having a cozy chat."

I smiled and hugged her. On the eve of my entrance into Starfleet Academy - oh what an accomplishment that was... it fulfilled all my strongest aspirations... this gift of hers was the most thoughtful, perfect thing she could give me.

"I'll miss you." I said, tearing up. "You'd better keep one too and when we see each other on vacations, we can share." I winked.

"Ah, now what could I possibly put in one of these?" Kashore asked, laughing. "You know I got one too." She grinned mischievously.

She and I were only a year-and-a-half apart in age. We were more like twins than straightforward siblings and the best of friends. It was a fortunate thing for both of us. Our personalities mirrored and also complemented one another's. I had no doubt that our diaries would prove to be quite entertaining!

++++

LOL :)

Chyntuck and RX_Sith like this.
  2. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I am so excited to see this one up and going!! Really, this is a story I always enjoy being told, and I am sure that you will hit it out of the park once again. ]face_applause]

Count me in for the year. ;) [face_love][face_dancing][:D]

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  3. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Yes, Nyota and I hope we will see a lot of Spock and your famous squeelishious musings

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    You can count on that. [face_love] [face_love]

5. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I have always liked Kashore and Nyota as siblings who definitely are there for each other.

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    :D Loving this one! ;)

~~!

I nodded in greeting as I took a seat in the cadets' commons area with a big bowl of chips and Ranch sour cream dip.
    An Orion was seated across from me, and I was struck by her gorgeous and exotic looks. I found myself fleetingly wondering if all the rumors were only half true about their ... proclivities.
    She was perusing me as closely as I her, it turned out.

We introduced ourselves. Her name was Gaila.

"Nyota. I think we'll be sharing a suite, actually. First-year cadets are assigned at random. Some databank pusher handles that." She rolled her eyes.

I smiled. "I am sure we'll get along fine." I said courteously, hopefully. I had a vibrant friendly demeanor, and had customarily found this welcomed and returned.

"Look," Gaila said tersely, "I'm not looking for a best gal pal. I can believe our ... recreational fortes will run in opposite directions. Let's just agree to give each other plenty of space.. what do you say?"

I frowned. Was she pushing back before she could get rejected, or was she merely being defensive against what she perceived might be my preconceived ideas?

"Gaila. Let's both keep an open mind, shall we? Wouldn't hurt." I suggested.

She considered my words for a moment. "I can do that, I suppose. Want a bit of a slice of this?" She indicated a wedge of fudge on her plate, as if making an overture. "I only need half..."

I beamed. "Chocolate! The universal language. Something any and all women can agree on."

Gaila grinned, and the ice was broken. "Yes, that and tall, dark, and Vulcan. They really are the hottest."

I blushed. How would she know ... unless?

She reached into her satchel and turned her 'padd on. "Case in point." She said, scrolling through the faculty pics.

I purred. "Gaila, girl. You were not kidding!" I commented, and we shared a look of complete understanding.

+++++

7. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Sweet! I always liked Gaila. And of course, Nyota is class and style and intelligence.

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi!!! @};- Gaila is a trip, and Nyota... my Nyoo'sha. [face_love] I loved her before, for eons, and now it's bigger, ginormous. [face_dancing]

9. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Love the introduction of Gaila. She is nice

10. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Oooh, I loved this first meeting for them both! =D= You can easily understand Gaila's caution due to preconceived notions, but it only takes one to break the ice - as we saw here! They are already taking a step in the right direction. [face_love] I particularly liked the Vulcan and chocolate line. [face_mischief]:p Of course Gaila would comment like that. [face_laugh]

11. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Gaila was a great character that I am happy that you bring some substance to her unfortunate early demise in the first movie.

12. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    And Nyota's too? My my, you are inspired, Ny! @};-

13. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    So thrilled to see your 2015 diary! :D And I'm loving Nyota and Gaila's budding relationship :D

14. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Hey, it's already February on this side of the world. When are you updating? :p

Seriously though, I'm quite ignorant about ST over the past 20 years, but I really like the voice you give to Nyota. This is a diary I'll stick with!

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    My delightful Chyntuck [face_laugh] [face_dancing] I can hardly wait till tomorrow, which is Feb. 1 in the U.S. Still Jan. 31st. ;) I conceive of Ny as a sweet, vibrant, competent, loving, spontaneous, compassionate lady. (Sounds sorta familiar.) [face_laugh] ^:)^

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    At a basketball match for charity, I saw a fellow student who could rebound, dunk, and shoot 3-pointers like a pro.

Her name, as it appeared on the roster was Miranda Fortiscue-Jones.

I was impressed by such an aristocratic name.

~!

After a couple days, I ran into her at a local tea shop and commented on how much I'd enjoyed her playing style. "I always enjoyed playing with friends back home." I told her, "But you ... you're really good!"

She smiled in pleasure. "Thanks, Nyota... is it? A lovely name!"

"Thank you. And your last name is quite ... aristocratic."

She laughed. "My mom and dad run a holo-journal... not the slemo tabloidy type, the legitimate news variety. Mom blended her birth and married surnames and I decided I would do the same, I like the way it rolls off the tongue."

I smirked. "Then, if or when you marry, your name will be even longer."

She chuckled.

We talked about what our hobbies and study paths would concentrate on.

Hers was psychology, organizational and personal, and how the two aspects interplayed.

We exchanged contact information before we parted. I had a feeling we would be good friends to one another.

Chyntuck and RX_Sith like this.
  17. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    It seems Nyota has made an interesting friend. :)
    Where did Miranda come from? Is she canon or OC?

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    More an OC than anything else. There was a Miranda who appeared in the TOS but not a lot of her back-story was given. :D So I just fleshed her out. ;)

Hazel likes this.
  19. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice way to introduce Miranda Jones (She was in TOS) Like to see how you are expanding her character

20. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    It's always great to make friends that you can talk about things with.

21. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Very interesting! I think I like this Miranda :D

22. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    A great moment, and a great character to meet! I'm so used to seeing your further-ahead ficlets that it's always great to re-visit the roots of a story. Nyota really has a keeper of a friend here! [face_love]

23. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    A person who choose a surname for its musicality is made of win. Period :p

24. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Very cool! I wonder where their friendship will take them. Miranda sounds like a smart lady.
    Wait - and she isn't paying for Uconn? Lol

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Sherralyn Walthrop approached me and asked if I'd like to be part of her study group in Xenocultural ethics.

"I would like that very much." I answered. "I liked how you said there were some things that transcended setting and context of a culture, like decency and compassion. That stretching the rules for the sake of helping others ..."

She grinned. "The Prime Directive is a necessary boundary line but you can take the letter of the law too far." She reflected. "I'm glad you're not shy about speaking your mind."

"That's the last thing I am." I rejoined. "My sister has more tact than I do." I smirked.

I studied her closely. She had red-golden curls and vibrant green eyes. "Has anyone ever told you you look like Mara Jade?" I proffered.

She laughed. "You're not the first. But hey. I hope to find a Luke someday." She winked.

"You sound like my flatmate, Gaila. I'll have to introduce you two, and to Miranda."

"I would like that."

+++

Gal-palness coming up. :D

Chyntuck, divapilot and RX_Sith like this.