main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek] My Family of the Soul. (DDC 2015) Complete: 12/03/15.

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Jan 1, 2015.

1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    love your references to Mara and Luke. There are more SW fans in the ST universe

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  2. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    More great friends to chat girl talk with.

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I love the girl time :D Can't wait for more!

4. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Nyota makes friends so easily :)

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    It's her open and vibrant nature and her outspokenness ;) Candor and warmth is a big draw for the author too. [face_laugh] [face_love]

6. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Another wonderful friend in the making! Sherralyn's candor and warmth are already apparent, and I cannot wait for the gal-palness to come. :D [face_dancing] (The Mara Jade resemblance is just a plus, by all accounts. :p [face_love])

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Happy wriggles! :)

~!

Sherralyn, Miranda and I went to see Cymbeline in the theater. We were thrilled to see one of the lesser-frequently presented plays but no less entertaining and as riveting as one of the more commonly seen by audiences.

"I guess you can call us Shakespearean nerds." Miranda commented with a laugh as we enjoyed after-theater cappucino.

I smiled. "I really found the performances to be excellent and I really entered into the flow of the events."

Sherralyn observed: "My sisters never could understand my love of live theater."

"They're older than you, aren't they?" Miranda asked.

"Gwendolyn by 3 years, Elspeth by five."

"My sister and I are just a bit over a year and a half apart," I said. "Makes us more like twins."

Sherralyn grinned. "So you bypassed the awkward stage where you admire your older sisters but they think you're a pest."

I laughed. "Yup, but the down side of that is we were always cooking up some kind of mischief. It was a toss-up which of us was the biggest prankster. I have more of the snark than Kashore does."

Miranda sighed. "I just have a younger brother. He didn't really want to follow me around when he was growing up. I was a "pesky girl"."

We laughed.

"Until he began to notice girls and suddenly wanted to pick my brains about what would grab their attention."

I chuckled. "My sister always gave my would-be suitors the once-over. Between her and my Dad ... they didn't have a chance."

"Dillon had to pass muster with my mother." Miranda replied. "She would grill his dates about what their grades were and what they liked to do for fun."

Sherralyn laughed. "I think parents love to embarrass their kids or maybe it's a test for anyone you're interested in. If they survive the "interview" - then they're strong possibilities."

"I'm too busy with Academy stuff to really want to go out much. But if a guy catches my attention and holds it, I'll be receptive. What about you, Ny?"

I shrugged. "Hmm. Can't be bothered. They'd really have to be marvelous to stir my interest! Sherra?"

"I'm like Miranda. I'm open but he has to be intelligent, caring, genuine, not full of himself."

I rolled my eyes. A good set of criteria but hard to find, more often than not.

I took one last savoring sip of my macchiato. "You guys signed up for next term already?" I asked.

They each nodded.

"I finally got into Xenolinguistics. There was a waiting list - but I finally got in." I said, eagerly. "It's the crux of my major, so I'm looking forward to it! And since there was a waiting list, it must be one of the most popular or well-informed instructors."

Sherralyn exchanged a glance with Miranda. "Yes, I noticed that one is always fully booked. Girlfriend, it won't take you long to figure out the why."

I laughed. "I'll let you know after first lecture how rapt I was during the lecture. The instructor for astronavigation put me to sleep with all those krelling formulas."

+++

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  8. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Looking forward to Nyota taking Xenolinguistics with Spock as the teacher.

9. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Ahh, I loved the girl's bonding in this one, especially with their talks of family. It is fascinating to see how their mutual households worked, and wonderful to see the love nonetheless pervading them all. And the theater references, I liked that as well! :)

I had a grinning moment with her finally getting into Xenolinguistics - she's really going to have a chance to shine coming up, and of course, Spock. [face_mischief][face_love] It won't take her long at all to see why there was a waiting list to get in. :p [face_laugh]

Another excellent update, and I can't wait for more! [face_love]=D=

10. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I have a feeling that Ny's very high criteria for a possible sweetheart will find it's match when she walks into that xenolinguistics class. Sorry I missed an update! still loving this look at a smart, creative, compassionate lady.

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks y'all. :D I agree heartily on the not-long part. =P~ And "smart, creative, and compassionate" ... that's Nyota in a few words. And another lady I've come to love uberly! Uber-ly! LOL [face_dancing]

Chyntuck likes this.
  12. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    It's great to see that Nyota's goals are coming true, and we all know where this one will lead... ;)

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Baby, "Love Walks In" [face_dancing] [face_dancing] SQUEEE!

14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I was feeling pensive … my sister had been involved at a crisis at her work. She was safe, but I wondered and fretted about how this would affect her normally upbeat approach. Would she be tied up in knots the next work day that she showed up for work? (Her supervisor had offered for her to take some personal days off but she had insisted she could return immediately. Kashore had assured me with affection that she was fine; Dajan was making sure she was feeling all serene again.)

Gaila sensed my unusual quietude and perched on the edge of my work station. “Nyota. You’ve listened to me spill my infrequent inner ramblings … so now let me return the favor by suggesting a distraction.”

I stifled a laugh and raised a brow.

“One of my guilty pleasures…” She continued then laughed outright. “A massage and a mani-pedi at the local spa!”

I beamed. “Gaila! I’m so there!”

~!

After that wonderful bit of relaxation, she and I stopped off at a local bakery and indulged again, in Jamaican coffee and piping hot cinnamon rolls. All in all, a marvelous weekend afternoon.

++++

Chyntuck and earlybird-obi-wan like this.
  15. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    mmmm loved that and the one before. Looking forward to see more of xenolinguistics and what's coming after a lecture

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Num ummy! LOL

17. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I really like the depth you are giving to Nyota and Gaila's relationship here. That was just what Nyota needed; a distraction and a friend just to be there for her. [face_love]

Another wonderfully done glimpse! [face_love]=D=

[:D]

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I love the discussion about families and boyfriends. That sounds exactly what my friends and I talk about; I was laughing out loud!

19. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    I'm all in for those kinds of distractions too ;)

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    "Where you going after the book club meeting, Ny?" Miranda asked.

"Ms. Schumaker had a family emergency." I replied. "I'll be in the sensor labs."

"I will be finishing up on my research on the use and meanings of dreams across civilizations." Miranda answered. "It's interesting!"

"Have you ever had a lucid dream?" Sherralyn asked.

"Very vivid ones." I answered.

Sherralyn grinned. "No, where you change the ending because you know you're dreaming."

I gave her a fascinated, enthralled glance. "I haven't, but I think I'd like to."

Miranda explained the process to us, and we went to our book club meeting.

Afterwards, when I signed out of the labs and subsequently turned in for the night, I had a lucid dream.

The person I was strolling along the Seine with chestnuts in bloom - I had better not say who I made him out to be.

++++

LOL ;)

Chyntuck likes this.
  21. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Spock? Is she dreaming about him?

22. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    She may not say, but we can certainly guess! [face_mischief][face_love] This was a fun bit about the nature of dreams - and the manifestation of one's innermost thoughts and desires most wonderfully depicted. :p [face_thinking]

=D=[face_love]

23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] I wonder who that is ... :D

I envy her ability to change it!

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I was on the comm with Aunt Siobhan.

"So, besides classes, what are you up to?"

I beamed widely. "Learning the lyre! It's a gorgeous instrument and the one who's teaching me is ... superb at it!" I blushed. "I've been tasked to be the assistant of one of the brightest instructors; he is a crack scientist and I'm honored to be working with him!"

She smiled, and said astutely. "A tribute to your own acumen, my dear girl! And what about on the romantic front?" She twinkled.

I laughed. "You can pick up any old stick alongside the road, I'm holding out for gold, Auntie!"

My sister could attest that I was no easy one to win over with a smooth tongue and because a gentleman was "eye candy."

Substance, I was holding out for the one I could, and was destined, truly to love.

++++

SQUEE! with rainbows.

Chyntuck likes this.
  25. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Love her words. She is learning to play and from who;) and she knows he is meant for her