main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek] Restoration - Volume One: Redemption

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by JABrown, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JABrown

JABrown Jedi Master star 1

Oct 22, 2004
    Disclaimer: Credit where credit's due - the basic idea for this timeline comes originally from a man called Dan Carlson. He has a great website at www.st-minutiae.com and has kindly 'loaned' me the ST Restoration idea for development here. You can find his initial ideas at http://www.st-minutiae.com/misc/restoration/. I will warn you that although I have changed quite a lot in my own story/timeline/etc... there may be a few spoilers for what I may or may not be doing with this story on the website. So be warned!

Anyway, without further ado...

Star Trek Restoration
    Volume One : Redemption

Chapter 1

3rd March, 2631
    The Hounslow Residence
    Southern France
    Earth

"It is 0700 hours."

The familiar sound of the computer pulled Ba'el Sarine from his nightmare. It lingered a moment longer ? he was back on the bridge of the Enterprise, giving the order, watching the blackness unfold across the planet on the viewscreen as the voices screamed over the intercom?

Third time this week, he thought as he lay there, staring up at the ceiling. That?s gotta be a record.

He waited a few moments to see if sleep was still within his grasp, then gave up. Sliding out of bed, he padded across the room to the fresher unit. The water took a moment to sputter out of the tap. He splashed some on his face and behind his neck, then glanced in the mirror.

God, Ba, you look like hell. His eyes were sunken, the dark blue of his iris? verging on black in the dim light. He brushed his lanky, unkempt hair away from his pointed ears, the scar tissue evident on the left one. He let it fall back. How long has it been since I?ve been to have a haircut? He realised he couldn?t remember.

Shaking his head, he walked to the door, which slid open to reveal the vast living room beyond, bathed in sunlight. He was blinded for a moment, lifting a scarred hand to protect his eyes

"Computer, shade."

Within seconds, the blinds began to slide across the window, only sticking twice as they swept out from the wall. They filtered out some of the early morning sun's bright glare. He could still see out of the vast wall to wall windows, his eyes taking in the scarred majesty of the southern European coast. The azure tint of the sky met the darker blue of the Mediterannean far on the horizon. Ba?el stood there for a moment, taking in the view. He wondered how many times his mother had stood here looking out over the same vista before the Dominion killed her.

Turning away from the window, he grabbed his robe from the back of a chair and walked over to the small kitchen area. He sat down on a stool, switching on the small comm screen he had installed the week before. The floor beneath him shook slightly as the generator turned on in the basement. The screen sputtered to life

An attractive blond woman in a tailored blue suit sat in front of a holographic display showing the spinning glory of the Milky Way. The words Your Galaxy Today spun around and around the galactic hologram.

"... telling us that until the Andorians make an official request for our assistance, there is nothing the FAW can do."

Ba?el reached down and grabbed a bowl as the woman went on, "In other news, the Laurentine Hegemony has recently reopened negotiations for the possible presence of a Federation starship to be permanently attached to their space station Onyx. This has been welcomed by the Federation Security Council on Romulus as a major step towards normalising relations between the two nations. However, Admiral Killstreet has..."

Ba'el was reaching for the box of cereal above his head when a beeping sound interrupted the news feed. He touched the screen and a menu appeared, informing him that there was a comm signal coming through. Ba?el blinked. He hadn?t received any kind of call since he had moved in to his mother?s old house three months before. Especially not one with a Starfleet ID code.

Reluctantly, he touched the flickering icon to accept the call. Nothing happened. He touched the screen

2. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    An interesting start! The DS9 Dominion War arc was one of the best things to ever grace the Star Trek universe, in my opinion, and it's exciting to find a fic that deals with the great "what if" - What if the Dominion had conquered the Alpha Quadrant? I followed the link to the website, and this sounds like a great premise. I look forward to reading more. :)

3. JABrown

Oct 22, 2004
    Hi Nienna,

Thanks very much. Wasn't sure if anyone had read this, so glad to see at least one person did and enjoyed it as well.

I totally agree, ie. the Dominion War - gave a new direction and added gravitas to the Star Trek universe, allowing them to handle some incredible stories. I'm glad you enjoyed this initial look into the post-war world, in a universe where the Dominion won!

More coming soon.

Joel

4. JABrown

Oct 22, 2004
    Chapter 2

USS Ulysses
    En route to Romulus

Deep in the darkness, Kalara stalked her prey, a tight hold on her bat?leth. All of her senses were alert and her muscles tense beneath her skin-tight leotard. Her blood sang the song of the hunt, the song even her ancestors had been unable to tame. Lips curled back, she revealed the sharp teeth that were her genetic heritage as a Klingon. Her head rose and she sniffed the dust-ridden air, searching for a hint of her prey.

She knew that the tunnels wound round towards a central cavern. A few side passages offered places to hide, but she did not think her opponent would be capable of such subterfuge. No, he would be waiting for her somewhere in these passageways. She just hoped that he would not be so crass as to simply be waiting for her in the central cave. She paused again, tossing her head this way and that as she sought out any trace of him on the air. Nothing.

She moved on. There was no natural light in the tunnel system, but she could see perfectly well in the darkness. It was one of many advantages she held over her prey. He would need some kind of equipment to be able to distinguish her in the shadows. Hopefully, that would give him away long before they found one another.

Pausing at a crossroads, Kalara flicked out her tongue, tasting the air. She felt the chalky taste of dust, the stale slick of enclosed air. And something else. A tang of sweat. Coming from behind her.

She spun round just in time to see a shadow detach from the wall and spring at her. Her eyes caught the slightest glint of metal in his hand. How did he get behind me? She grinned and spun again, this time kicking out with her left foot. She caught her adversary on the chin, the impact almost sending her toppling over. She dropped into a crouch as her opponent went down with a grunt. To her surprise, he tucked and rolled, his dk?tagh knife scoring a line in the rock. He flowed back to his feet, his features surprisingly feral as he sneered at her.

Have you been practicing, Damien?

?Is that the best you can do, little girl?? The taunting tone in his voice sent a thrill through her lithe frame.

Steeling her face against the feeling, she began to circle round him, spinning her bat?leth a few times as she danced across the rock. She curled her upper lip, her tongue darting out as her breathing quickened.

?If you want more, come and get it,? she sneered.

To her dismay, he took the invitation, rushing forward with an almighty roar. Oh, Damien. She side-stepped easily, the blade of his knife passing a good few centimetres from her side. She allowed her body to flow around, following him and bringing her bat?leth around to strike him behind the knees. The blow took out his legs and sent him tumbling to the floor. His knife skittered away, lost in the darkness.

Kalara moved quickly, springing from her crouch and pouncing on him. She straddled him, her bat?leth already in motion. She stopped it inches from his throat, one of the inverted blade points pressing against his skin.

?Do you yield??

To her surprise, her opponent laughed. His oh-so human features scrunched up and his shoulders began to rise and fall. For a moment, Kalara stiffened, her Klingon blood screaming for her to avenge the insult by taking his head from his throat. Then she remembered who this man was and she stilled her hand.

?May I ask what is so funny?? she growled.

He shook his head, his attempts to choke back his laughter failing miserably. As he began to cough uncontrollably, she sighed. Climbing off of him, she sat down on the floor, crossing her legs and staring at him.

?Damien, if you?re not going to take this seriously?? she began.

?No!? He coughed again, then started to giggle. ?I do, I do. I swear, I?m taking this seriously.?

She eyed him. ?It does not look like it.?

He shook his head, trying to hold back the laughter. ?It?s just when you asked whether I yielded, I had a flash of the look on your face this morning when?? He br

5. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    A very interesting story so far. I look forward to reading more.

6. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Yay for the update! :D I really enjoyed this chapter. You've created two vibrant and very believable OC's in Kalara and Damien, and I can't wait to learn more about each of them and how they came together. I especially loved your characterization of Kalara. She is a very honorable Klingon. ;)

So the Klingons ditched the Federation...I wonder what makes the Khitomer Klingons different? And a Ferengi vice-admiral in Starfleet? Very interesting.

Somehow I get the feeling I'll have quite a few more questions before I get any answers. :p Looking forward to more!

7. JABrown

Oct 22, 2004
    mrjop2

Thanks and welcome! Glad you enjoyed it. I will let you know when the next chapter is up.

Nienna

Thanks! So glad that you liked Kalara and Damien, they are two of my favourite characters in these stories, of whom we'll see much more in the upcoming story. Yes, a very honorable Klingon.

Yes, there will probably be more questions, but I have tried to provide answers as much as I can in the next few chapters.

Thanks again!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.