main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story Star Trek RL DDC 2016 (diary of Nick Roberts)completed

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by earlybird-obi-wan, Jan 1, 2016.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I bet that was a wonderful show with horses being guided and ridden without bridles. :cool: Yes, that will be wonderful for Nick--riding as a pastime/therapy.

Nyota is outspoken and she has efficient persons on her team. :D

2. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Great reference with Nyota.

3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Oooh, this is a very interesting diary and I love how it meshes with Nyota's. Did you two plan it together, or are you making it up as you go along?

I really feel for Nick, being stuck in a hospital bed with all sorts of bits of him to fix. He doesn't come across as someone who likes being inactive, and his involvement in the Panusconi trial despite everything he had to deal with for himself is a sure sign of that.

4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    The last line of this just made me smile; rightfully so! :p

I liked that Teri was reading what he wrote, and I especially liked the memories about the horses in this one. Just lovely. [face_love] Even with a bad leg, I'm sure he'll be up and riding - and doing everything else - in no time.:)

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Cavalia was great and you can watch scenes on you tube

Nick keeps in contact with his real friends.

The plan was to start after the first five year mission. Nyota writes, I write and there are some plans made. Nick will be active again.

horses will play a part in Nick's recovery.

Entry 7
    Teri was laughing when she read the last entry.

“Strong language Nick, I bet you had some really strong language when you were with them.” She said that when she pointed outside where a group of students were running along the beach.

Memories surfaced of course immediately when I saw those sandy and wet men.
    The ranger had trained me and I was ready when I went to the indoctrination weeks.

I discovered the figurine of Corran Horn when I was putting my private things in my locker and had a big smile on my face.
    Corran was one of those extended universe characters and an X-wing pilot. I really liked all his adventures and his marriage with Mirax. I had seen Corran in the display case when Lionel and I met the ranger for the first time.
    The ranger had a big collection and even those old movies on DVD.
    We were hooked after seeing the first three with Anakin falling to the dark side. The next three were great when we saw the redemption of the Dark lord. And after those I went home with some books, loaded into my reader. Lionel got his share too.

Mom had to warn me that it was lights out when I was reading those books.
    Thrawn was a great villain and of those who followed him I liked Daala and Darth Caedus and Abeloth. Mara became my hero and I was thrilled to see her marriage with Luke. And there were those X-wing adventures with Corran and Wedge and the squadrons.

Next time we visited the ranger we asked to see the next three DVD’s. You should have seen his face when he put the first one – the Force awakens – in the player. He must have anticipated our reaction.

Lionel was the first to ask where Mara had gone and why Han called his son Ben.
    All our beloved EU characters were gone. Han was killed. No more Jacen, Jaina and Anakin Solo. No Jag and his friends.
    Needless to say we didn’t want to see the rest of the DVD’s.

McCoy came and read my entry and he has the same ideas. ‘Lucas never should have sold Star Wars. Look what those commercial creeps have done with it,’ were his words.

And on a different subject and very important to the SEAL community he told me about the advice he had given to Kyle Crisson. Kyle will visit Nyota. Kyle did nothing wrong going public on the Iriona II mission and protesting against my discharge.
    She was great when she defeated Panusconi. And Sith Uncle Harry will have a difficult time coming too. Lionel should hear this.

Chyntuck and RX_Sith like this.
  6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Woot on the observations and great about Kyle's visit.

7. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    Great Star Wars references and observations by McCoy.

8. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    The Star Wars review from the future was a hoot and a half! [face_laugh]

Hmm. Nick definitely doesn't want to remain idle. I'm curious to see how you'll bring him back to active duty.

9. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I love his memories about the national park! The Star Wars thoughts were also pretty funny :D

10. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    I love his Star Wars ruminations here - how fascinating to see a POV from many years beyond our own. And all too spot on, as well. I couldn't agree more. :p

=D=

11. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    There are still (in the ST-universe and before;) ) fans of the EU

Entry 8
    The students were again passing on the beach.

17 years ago I was running there with BUD/S class 432 aspiring to become a Federation SEAL and had gone through indoctrination week. Instructors were yelling at us calling us sissies and whatever. (More strong language not suited for a diary) And no there are still no women participating in the forces.

PT was daily with push-ups, flutter-kicks and more of the usual stuff. Not usual were the large logs you had to carry with your team or the rubber zodiacs.

Thanks to being 1.89 I wasn’t assigned to the Smurf crew in the first week. They are the really short men, still called Smurfs and having a Smurf painted on their zodiac.
    But in the last week of BUD/S I was a Smurf. From 78 candidates only 12 didn’t ring the bell.

I was one of the graduating candidates and went on to parachute training (they still do that despite the orbital platforms and transporters) and sniper-training. These trainings lasted four months and still I didn’t become a SEAL. I had to go to the medical training and served for a year during that training in an ER-room in a San Diego hospital.

I have to stop. Someone is coming.

AzureAngel2 and RX_Sith like this.
  12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Fine details about the training and fun nickname - Smurf. ;) Looking forward to the visitor.

13. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    SEAL training is definitely a hard thing to go through. Hopefully things will get better.

14. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I can't even imagine going through SEAL training!

I wonder who's coming ...

15. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Someone who has undergone all that training is certainly not going to remain idle for the remainder of his life.

And who's coming? A little bird is telling me that it's an important visitor.

16. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    loved that Smurf too when I was watching a DVD about the training
    It is and things will get better
    He is here in the next entry

He sure is

Entry 9
    McCoy was that of course. And he read my diary and asked all about the medical training.

I was to become the medic on the team and got all the skills to stabilise traumatic injuries. We practised on animal corpses first and a virtual human after that. That human was fun. Nothing could go wrong but our chief medical instructor gave us difficult cases to solve and he had something waiting for us.
    Just before graduation-day we boarded an airbus (a large plane usually used for parachute training) and had to do a precision HALO jump. When we landed it was carnage.
    Strewn on a large field were sedated pigs and goats suffering from horrible injuries. Our instructors were waiting for us. We had to stabilise the animals as best as we could. Any animal bleeding out to death was reason for bad grads.
    I succeeded stabilising my assigned two animals. Our instructor graded the work.
    The butcher – in charge of the animals – killed them. And what did that bloke say when he loaded the animals in the truck? ‘This is your next dinner.’
    I was becoming a vegetarian but after that experience I was.

Work in the ER-room came next and gave me a lot of experience. After that year – doing training with my buddies when not working in the ER – I was assigned to SEAL team 1 and had to prove to be a valuable addition to the team.
    More training followed of course and I was the junior member on the team enduring pranks and fun. We had two missions. I got my trident (they still use the old insignia of the SEALS) after the second mission and was very proud.

The nurse is coming. I have to stop.

AzureAngel2, Chyntuck and RX_Sith like this.
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Great remembrances & yuck that is one meh thing to say: this is your dinner :rolleyes: As much as I love my beef and pork, :eek: :p

18. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    No thanks to that "dinner" that's for sure.

19. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    That's definitely a night to go straight to dessert, that's for sure. Yuck, what a memory! But, another great part of Nick's backstory is forming, and very interesting to read. =D=

20. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    No wonder he became a vegetarian, even I would under those circumstances!

And now, my question: why is McCoy so interested in his training?

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    That sounds like a horrible experience! Poor animals and poor Nick!!

22. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    realistic exercises are still practised in the ST universe
    That will be revealed in a future post

Entry 10
    That was a nice visit.
    Nurse Ella removed my IV.
    I am getting enough fluids normally and don’t need medicines anymore. I am exercising a lot under the guidance of a therapist. My shoulder is improving. I can now lift my arm to a horizontal position.

Ella told me when she changed the pee-bag that it would be gone soon.
    It is now 11 weeks after getting injured and 3 weeks after my second surgery to my ankle.
    Yeah my ankle is troublesome getting me twice a discharge.

After my three years with SEAL team 1 I transferred to team 3 because they needed a medic. But on the first real mission with team 3 I scored some precision shots while we were waiting for exfil and defending our position. Our commander praised me and sent me to sniper training where I met Kyle Crisson. He was the chief instructor and always strived for the best results.
    It was a lot of fun too with Kyle.

I am quite large. I had made my ghillie suit selecting only green strips of fabric and was trying to blend into the environment when Kyle spotted me and hollered “you there!”
    I tried to remain motionless but there was Kyle again with “come here you big piece of lettuce.” He lectured me about the ghillie suit and next time my suit was a mixture of greens, browns and beige material and some branches stuck between the straps. Kyle didn’t discover me this time. He was about to step on me when I gave him a tap with my rifle and told him ‘you are dead.’
    I finished sniper training and became a member of the Crisson team.

Getting injured in Paris ended our duty as a SEAL. Kyle was the worst injured. He had a broken left femur and his right ankle fractured and has now a permanent limp.
    I had a fractured left ankle. We had a three month long recovery time in the San Diego naval hospital and were medically discharged on the same day.
    August 3 was the day that Kyle went to Starfleet academy and I went to the university to become a sleep-doctor.
    Because of my background – SEAL-medic and a university course to become a basic doctor during my year in the ER-room – I could finish the course in two years and saw Kyle again when I joined Starfleet medical.
    Four months after that I was at Kyle’s party when he became chief weapons-instructor on the Enterprise.

I have to stop. Exercise time.

AzureAngel2 likes this.
  23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Great progress on recovery.

24. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Great progress on recovery, but also great backstory. Nick hasn't had it easy, has he? On the one hand, he has only himself to blame in a sense -- no one forced him to choose that career path -- but on the other hand it's interesting and endearing to see his commitment to his job.

25. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    You will see in the next pos
    He will reveal more

Entry 11

Today McCoy came to remove the stitches from my ankle and calf and fitted me with a brace that is enabling me to put pressure on my foot. He read more in my diary and was impressed. He had followed the regular way to become a doctor and a surgeon before going to Starfleet medical.

I told him more.
    SEAL’s have to save lives in the field where no hospitals or medevacs are there before the golden hour has passed. We have to be good and that’s why we had a year long training in the ER after our 3 months medic-training.
    And during that year in the ER I began to love helping people and spent all my off-duty hours doing the on-line university course. I had great support from the doctors of the San Diego hospital.

I will be leaving my bed soon. The catheter was removed and after some trying I could produce the urine in a bottle.
    Teri was present when I did this and she gave me a hug. Before I did I got funny comments from her about me needing a diaper. But I don’t.

Soon, very soon I will be on my feet and with that, I can speak the vows of marriage.

AzureAngel2 likes this.