main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Star Trek: The Beginning Teaser Trailer"

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by PixelMagic, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Hey guys. Sometime last year I was excited after watching the teaser trailer for J.J. Abrams' Star Trek, and started to create a trailer for fun along the lines of "What if I was in charge of rebooting Star Trek?" So to that end, using my knowledge of filmmaking and CGI, I set off to create a teaser trailer based off that concept. Also, Vapes helped me big time on this one by editing it. He did a fantastic job. So without further ado, I present the fan teaser trailer for "Star Trek: The Beginning"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HN1H_ShuIo

Please be sure to click the HD button for the full experience.

Also for those interested in how the visual effects were done, I posted a little write up on my blog...

http://danielbroadway.blogspot.com/2009/04/star-trek-beginning-teaser-trailer-vfx.html

2. Teague

Teague Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2006
    Jesus. Gah.

Move out here so I can get you a job. I swear to god you're the most hirable person I've ever seen on the internet.

Great work, bud.

3. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Why, thanks Fig. I am pretty proud of how the edit turned out.[face_whistling]

These shots, even their uncompleted forms, were knocking me off my feet when Pixel sent 'em to me to be included in the timeline. He's been working on this thing for quite a while now, and he did an absolutely fantastic job.

Hopefully we'll get to collaborate again. This was an excellent experience, and definitely fun work.

Plus, I learned more about Trek from Pixel than any self-respecting Star Wars fan ought to. And I've seen all the movies now. Plus a few episodes, searching for quotes and sound effects.

I feel so... confused.

4. Teague

Teague Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 9, 2006
    Editing was good, too, sure. :)

5. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Sheer ass-kickery right there. Awesome work, both of you :)

6. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Great work, man. You need to be getting paid for it.

7. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Hey, you finished something! And it's really good!

Nice work.

8. elemental_fantasy

elemental_fantasy Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 6, 2006
    Once again PIX, you take my breath away!!! Really you do Dan.

:eek: Perfection is Pixel Magic!!!!![face_dancing]

9. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    Whoah.

That was *expletive* nice!

I like your enterprise quite a bit, and agree with you pretty much 100% on whats weird about J.J.'s version.

Some of these shots look completely movie quality (or at the very least "high end TV series quality", I've seen many worse shots in BSG).

Fantastic work, man. I'll send it around some people I know, see what happn's.

....and they say "never do spaceships on your reel". Morons.

/Z

10. Sith-Man

Sith-Man Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 19, 2004
    Truly amazing dude... I actually don't have any idea what else to say...

That doesn't happen to me often.

11. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Thanks. Don't worry, I'm working toward it. Saving every dime I can. When I'm ready, you will hear from me.

Thanks. Hopefully one day soon, Ill be able to align the stars to get paid for this stuff. I'd love to do VFX for a living.

I know, right? :p

Thanks. Just so you know, most of these shots were rendered using mental ray.:cool: The one's without heavy motion blur were rendered using Scanline.

I could have made these shots better quality, but since it wasn't paid work, and I didn't have a render farm, I didn't want to get too crazy with it.

Please share it with anyone you see fit. :)

12. Sith-Man

Sith-Man Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 19, 2004
    ... With effects work like that, it shouldn't be to hard...

(Terrible attempt at amusing play on words... Sorry.)

... Yeah...

13. Lord_Charisma

Lord_Charisma Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2001
    You, sir, are a talented madman.

14. ZNichols

ZNichols Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Absolutely stunning.

15. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    Awesome, absolutely awesome! Nice work.

16. CaptSparrow

CaptSparrow Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 5, 2006
    That was simply amazing! The CG was up to movie standards and it was beautifully edited by Vaportrail. It even had lens flares.

A teaser trailer 2 is probably in the future?

One can hope.

17. Lrd_Radon

Lrd_Radon Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2009
    Man, that gave me chills...esp. with the perfectly timed Scotty quote over the awesome music.

18. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    http://vimeo.com/4357030

If you are a member of Vimeo, you can now download the video in full 1280x720 by looking for the "Download Quicktime Version" link in the lower right hand corner of the page. It appears in much better quality that way.

19. JedifromFlorida

JedifromFlorida Jedi Master star 1

Jun 16, 2008
    To have a star trek fan film with effects like the ones in this trailer, I'd be honored to colaborate on a screenplay if anyone ever became interested.

20. Evil-Henchman

Evil-Henchman Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2004
    That's a pretty cool fake trailer. My only beef is that both the youtube and vimeo versions have a stuttering framerate which makes it hard to enjoy... at least for me.

21. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    As I said two posts above, sign up for Vimeo, and then you can download a full 720p Quicktime version from that link. It's much better quality.

22. Evil-Henchman

Jul 17, 2004
    That's cool but my point was that the stuttering framerate issue for the youtube and vimeo versions is quite annoying and probably could have been avoided when creating a version for uploading to them.

I'll download your high rez version and check it out.

23. PixelMagic

Oct 8, 2001
    Doesn't stutter for me at home nor at work. I'm not sure what the problem is.

24. Evil-Henchman

Jul 17, 2004
    I tried other youtube videos and they play fine, just not your new fake trailer. Your vimeo trailer was also choppy in all the same places.

I just downloaded your QuickTime file and the only part that was choppy was the Paramount logo, which was caused by duped frames.

Great fake teaser. It looks awesome in 720p. :)

25. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    I wonder, how did you do the shadow of the elevator wall meshing on the face of the guy? Was it practical on set, or is it a post effect?

Either way it was very convincing!

/Z

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.