main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I.E., CA Star Trek - The Experience - Closing this September

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by jedifan77, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    If you haven't gone and always wanted to (me), better make plans to do it quickly as the doors will be closing in September.

Check it out.

2. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    The rides are cool but the museum/exhibit part off it is very sparse.

Wonder what will replace it, probably more slot machines.

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    But the DRINKS! The drinks is what makes that place amazing!!

[image=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3031/2616028921_11f9b1b66b_b.jpg]

4. Skeeziks

Skeeziks Jedi Youngling

Feb 29, 2008
    That's EXACTLY Right!

[image=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y212/nocturnalcrouton/DebbiWCB2003.jpg]

5. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Ummm, hello!!! We're not supposed to be talkin' about alcoholic beverages on this board!!! There are kiddlettes present!!!

Okay, okay, I'm just jealous that I've never had one of those big ol' drinks before!! Please carry on!

6. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Cara_Undercover_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2006
    [face_dancing] HURRAY!

Well, they wouldn't be closing it if it wasn't making money...right? [face_whistling]

Sorry, Trekkies. Um, how many years does this make it's been open? About ten or eleven?
    Star Tours has it beat by a mile. Nineteen eighty...what? Four? That's over twenty years right there! O:)

Just goes to show, Star Wars is forever... :-B

7. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    A coupon on the monorail gets ye one for free!

8. Skeeziks

Skeeziks Jedi Youngling

Feb 29, 2008
    Just following our RSA's lead! Go, Miana! :D

(This is Debbi, btw. Nice to see most of you at Disneyland!)

9. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I never said the word "alcohol," I just showed an empty cup (bowl). [face_whistling]

10. jedi_onasi

jedi_onasi Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2006
    Miana is right. She did say "drinks". Maybe she meant a nice refreshing lemonade. Or sody-pop. [face_laugh] In Star Wars it's Lum or Lom. Well, in the Republic anyway. Elsewheres...who knows...sludge? [face_sick]

11. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    It makes me sad when any business goes out of business! That means people are losing jobs!

Personally, I love Star Trek. It's what started and nourished my passion for Sci-Fi. My first love that introduced me to a genre that continues to have a huge impact on my life. For all that, I'm eternally grateful!

Also, I'm pretty sure that there was a ST series running continuously on TV from 1987 until somewhere around 2005. That's not counting the original series. Not a bad run and kind of tough to discount!

ST and SW are both Sci-Fi, have impacted tons of people and are huge franchises. I think they'll both be around for quite some time to come![face_alien_1]

12. MommyJedi

MommyJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 22, 2007
    Well, I'm not happy about it! We just went there in March and had a great time! The people who were dressed as the characters were great. Quarks (Go Rachael!) was fun to eat at and the food was yummy. The "experience" was totally cool! I loved both the Klingon and the Borg parts. My kids were terrified of the Borg part, but we still rode it over and over.

Making money isn't the problem though. Cedar Fair Entertainment, the parent company for "The Star Trek Experience" bought Paramount Parks, which included TSTE, two years ago knowing that Paramount Studios was not going to renew the lease when it came due which is the end of this year. Plus the Hilton didn't want to renew anyway. They have other plans for the area. It was a win/win for Cedar Fair & Hilton. Lose/lose for the employees and the public :_| .

Yes the attaction was there for only 10 years, but like Kari said Star Trek has been a valuble maony maker for Paramount for more then 4 decades. That is a couple more times around the block then Star Wars. But really, comparing SW to ST is like comparing apples to oranges. They are both valuble in there own way and contribute to the worlds love of Sci Fi!

Farewell to a great attraction!

13. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    The warp core breach may have helped a lot, but our Klingon who kept visiting us at Quarks was hot. :D

14. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Cara_Undercover_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2006
    Okay, okay. I was just kidding. I am sorry for the people losing jobs. At least they have something interesting to put on their resume'.

I like ST a little bit, too. The OS was a little over the top and WAY before my time -and it annoys me that I see things similar to Star Wars popping up in a show with plywood, Paier mache, and Christmas lights as a sets- but even I can get into it a little. Not enough to want to go to Vegas or dress Klingon, but enough so that I was, indeed, sad when James Doohan (Scotty) passed away. Dad let us watch Star Trek Movies at a very young age because they were (relatively) clean. I can even remember seeing Undiscovered Country and Generations in the theater. (of course the latter has a few bad memries of a popcorn overdose) I even have a few selections from the soundtracks.

So please don't get mad at me. I was just making a joke.

BTW, LLAP. [face_alien_1]

15. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    The Klingon when we were there sounded like Bobby Goulet!(Spelling?)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.