main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion [Star Trek] The Holodeck- A Star Trek Fan Fic Discussion Thread. Sequel discussion (spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by LordNyax113, Aug 11, 2008.

1. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    That's exactly it, Khan's blood regenerates. Now, it's simply the matter if it's stronger than the nano probes that the Borg uses to assimilate. My guess would be yes, it is. One of the reasons I think so is that at this early year, I don't believe the Borg were as advanced as they were in the year of TNG. Who knows, it might be during those years of Kirk and crew, the Borg was just getting started, and they are unknowingly not aware that they might not be advanced enough to handle Khan at this time. At least, I was going to have the Old Spock come to that conclusion after he warns the young Kirk and Spock of the dangers the Borg presents in the future. I was going to have the Borg look somewhat different because they are not as advanced as they are in the days of Picard, and Janeway. Of course, I haven't done the full research on it yet, which I would have done before writing a story of this magnitude.

Another huge climatic scene I was playing around with was that I was going to do was that when Khan realizes that the Borg are not yet advanced enough but in the future, they will become a threat beyond even him, I was going to have him come up with a plan to cause a mass genocide and wipe out the Borg race from existence. Despite knowing how evil the Borg were to become, Kirk is not willing to allow Khan to commit mass genocide and with the help of both young and old Spock, concoct a plan to stop the Borg from assimilating Earth and put Kahn back on ice.

When I write a story, I go big, and this story I was going to do was so big, it intimidated me. That's why I'm not going to attempt something like this alone. I don't mind research, I usually do a month or two of research on any fan fiction I do, but add that to the fact that I am very weak in Star Trek terminology and science... well, i just gave up on it. It's just too big for me to do alone, and I don't like doing stories without being faithful to the vision of the director of a fandom and the vision he has for that fandom or faithful to the original source material. I'm a stickler for that. If I do an Avengers story, I won't have Black Widow hooking up with Bruce Banner. It's common knowledge that through history, she's hooked up to either Captain America or Hawkeye. Bruce Banner has Betty Ross. I would try to stay as close and as faithful to the source material as possible, and trying to do that alone with Star Trek is just too daunting for me.

2. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Actually the Borg are quite advanced even in the 21st Century according to First Contact. They are just not in the Alpha and Beta Quadrants until episodes The Best of Both Worlds in TNG, and that is only because Q flung the Enterprise-D into the Delta Quadrant and allowed the Borg to know about humanity's existence in Q, Who?.

Now the Federation is already aware of the Borg and doesn't need Spock to tell them. In Stat Trek: Enterprise, Captain Archer and crew encounter the Borg in Earth's arctic. They were frozen Borg from First Contact and I think they actually did manage to fulfill their mission to contact the Borg in the 23rd Century, but the episode left it vague and Archer questioning it. So the Borg could already be on their way and possibly already upgraded from the future Borg's transmission. If I were the Borg I'd tell them more than just the location of a viable species to assimilate. Heh.

As for Trek terminology, I know the series sounds all scientific and rocket science like, but most of the terms used are easy to learn just from a few episodes. I think if you know the basics most Trek fans won't rib you if you get something backwards. Star Trek is big but easy to learn unlike Star Wars. Unlike Star Wars, Trek doesn't consider the non-film/shows material as canon so you can limit yourself to the on-screen stuff and be perfectly fine. Memory Alpha is the film and shows Wikipedia while Memory Beta are the books and comics.

I can help you with any facts and trivia that trouble you if you like, as you can tell I'm a closet Trekkie. :D

-----------
    MOTTI: Thou shalt not 'tempt to frighten us with words so like a man of magic, Vader. Nay, thy sorc'rer's act is tir'd and overdone. The sad religion thou dost cling to hath no pow'r to conjure up the stolen plans. Nor dost thou have a third-eye's sight to make--

3. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Tempting on the offer, but I just started another huge project.I'll let anyone who wants to use those little tid bits.

On another front, it looks like you Benedict Cumberbatch fans get another fandom to tackle. It appears he may taking on a major villain role in Star Wars Episode VII, if the report is to be believed. This guy would be the first actor to appear, as a villain no less, in the three biggest movie franchises in history: Star Trek, Star Warks, and Lord of the Rings (Well, technically he's in the three Hobbit movies, but the Hobbit is still in the world of Lord of the Rings).So Benedict was a great genetically enhanced bad guy, so far he's been a good Necromancer (or the evil Sauron as we will soon learn), let's see if he can pull of being a Sith Lord.

4. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Nope, his reps issued a statement today saying he isn't involved. Sad.

In my 'fic, I've got Khan and his people running into the Borg in the Beta quadrant. Just a small group of Borg. It's the only way I could do it myself without getting overwhelmed.

5. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Well, he would have made a great clone of Palpatine.

6. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    Honestly BC should stay away from Star Wars unless JJ Abrams manages to work his magic on E7 like he did for ST09 and STID. If so, then BC can do E8. ;) Why I say this, every actor except Harrison Ford and James Earl Jones, that played in any of the films were rarely seen again on the big screen. Ewan MacGreggor, Sam Jackson and Liam Neeson are barely hanging on. Star Wars is a career killer it seems. At least for the Big Screen anyway. I know some of the actors are also theatre actors and do well in that genre.

If I do write my Borg Khan story, I'm gonna need some help with the plot and the TNG characters. What I have atm is mostly a basic idea. Knowledge of the franchise is no issue for me nor fleshing out the plot, I think what the issue will be is how to write it. I'm use to one-shots or 3 shot stories.

7. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    I wouldn't say those actors are barely hanging on. Samuel Jackson is alive and kicking being Nick Fury. He's a huge part of that , and may even cameo in the television series here and there. Ewan MacGreggor is sill doing at least two flicks a year. He's not into movies that I particularly like to watch, but I see him in the credits quite often. Liam Neeson is still very busy. He's doing some of the top semi-political thrillers like Taken 1 and 2, Unknown, etc. He did A-Team which was great!

I don't believe in the Star Wars curse. It's all a matter of career desires. Mark Hamill has spent the last 20 years doing voice over work for the Joker, whenever a video game or television series with the character in it appears. He's recently retired from doing the Joker and has moved on to How To Train Your Dragon last year, and for the next two years. He's appeared in Sea quest twice. His preference is the small screen. Carrie Fisher had her own personal demons, but she never had an interest in big screen movies. It only seems like a curse because all of these actors were unknown when they came out. Whenever you hire unknown actors, odds are that they'll ever be seen again. The prequel trilogy hired big names stars, and they're all still out there, except for the actor who played Anakin Skywalker. He was a terrible actor anyway.

8. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Wow! It has been a while since we have geeked out in this thread, and I have missed it. [face_love]

So, just to get a conversation going - we know that we are getting a third film in 2016. It is a bit early to talk about specifics, but what about 'what-ifs'. What is something you would like to see in the new film? What villain/plot arch/character developments would you add if you were writing it? :D

NYCitygurl likes this.
  9. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    There's already some potential "spoilers" out there. If you want me to be more specific I could PM you. Otherwise, it is supposed to take place away from Earth out in deep space.

10. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Wow, you gotta love the internet for that. :p

I was more wondering what you guys would like to see - just to get a conversation going. I know there will be spoilers aplenty in here the closer we get to the movie coming out. I also just wanted to mention, as a reminder, to block out spoilers when they are posted in here - even if they are hesitant at this point. Just in case they end up coming to be. :)

11. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I"m very excited! Can't wait to see everyone back (except the blonde. She was irritating). I hope the new guy (name escaping me) does as good a job as Abrams.

12. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    Robert Orci is his name. And I ... Am ambivalent towards Carol.

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    She just seemed a little Mary Sue-like. And I know she'll be back, she's the love interest, but there are, IMO, better ways to do love interests for Kirk. There are some very talented writers in this forum who have pulled it off :D

14. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    The problem with Carol was that they had to make her as smart as her original version, even though there was nearly a 30 year age difference between them. If they made her not as . . . advanced, people would whine that they'd dumbed her down. But since she's, like, 28 and as qualified as her original self, she's . . . too Sue-like. It's a no-win. Of course, people whine about the new movies, anyway, so whatever.

I wanna see something original. I also wanna see references to TOS stuff. I loved the little aside about "the Mudd incident" in STID.

15. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    She was probably my least favorite thing about the latest movie; I was glad she didn't get a ton of screen time.

That's a very good point about her. I haven't seen TOS, just the new movies, so I don't have her original self as a point of comparison.

16. Dantana Skywalker

Apr 7, 2002
    I don't recall if she was actually in the show, or just in "Wrath of Khan".

17. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Carole Marcus was only in "Wrath of Khan". Christine Chapel, who was the Nurse aboard the Enterprise, was in The Original Series. Both were love interests for Kirk, with Chapel also wanting to be involved with Spock.

18. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Gotcha. And interesting about Chapel!

19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dancing] Yup, I had the "blonde with the legs" reaction to Carol, whose initial letter C is too much like Callista as well for my taste [face_laugh] Christine with Jim - I could totally deal with that. I do wanna see him with someone. He's too hot to be a hermit like Luke Skywalker. Waaaay too hot [face_laugh] And like Captain Rex in laloga's amazing fanfictions, he deserves to be appreciated/adored and to show a vulnerable side. [face_love] Foot, OCs as love interests do rock amazingly Nat Totally in heart-agreement with that.

Putting this fine thread on watch. =P~

Jinkies!

NYCitygurl likes this.
  20. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Carol didn't bother me as much as she could have, truth be told. My knee-jerk reaction to her was 'pretty blonde' and 'of course she is attracted to Kirk' and my walls instantly went up. After watching the movie a few more times, I don't dislike her as much - heck, her character in the Wrath of Khan was a favourite for me, and what Dantana said about aging her down made perfect sense. If her character was thirty years older, she wouldn't have rubbed the wrong way as much, I think. And yet, she can be young and attractive and still be an engaging female character - it was only the Mary-sue-esque feel about her character, and their making her Kirk's floozy of the hour that ground me the wrong way.

Yet, I think that her character had potential - she made some strong and tough decisions in the plot, and she certainly held her own in a crisis situation. If she is written well, I would like to see more of her. :)

(And poor Christine! That one aside line in STID had me wincing for her. Ouch! :oops: So much for that possibility. :p)

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Carol as a strong woman/competent professional is appealing to me. I certainly like/admire strong female types, but I wouldn't wanna think that the Jim/Carol thing was forced or ... more on the lines of a cliche. [face_thinking] My whole feel was that because she was in the Wrath of Khan movie the PTB thought they needed to have something develop, which because of the reboot is not necessarily a given.

And what does anyone know of this new director/producer ... [face_nail_biting] He's not gonna pull a fast one on us. As in the rug? :eek: As in, leave the existing pairing(s) alone. Sacred as the Ark of the Covenant LOL - Lightning will strike kind of sacred. ^:)^

22. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    This. I'm all for strong female characters (yay Nyota!), especially in a series with a lot of strong guys, but she just felt too Mary Sue.

I haven't heard anything about the new director changing up pairings (specifically Spock/Nyota, which would really upset me). Have you heard anything about the next movie?
    I remember Christine getting a mention, but not what happened exactly ...

23. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Question: are there any furry animals on Vulcan?

Trying Memory Alpha (ST wiki) on my phone, did not go so well.

24. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Sith-I-5 likes this.
  25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dancing] ENTERING FANGIRL MODE! Sith-I-5 you had me at Vulcan. =P~ If you write a Trek fanfic or are gonna do a Trek RPG, I will be there in less than a minute! [face_laugh] [face_party]

Sith-I-5 likes this.