main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion [Star Trek] The Holodeck- A Star Trek Fan Fic Discussion Thread. Sequel discussion (spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by LordNyax113, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    I'd like to see some challenges myself.

2. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Hi-yo, Drabbi, Nyax, Ubersue, Frazz, et al.

I had an idea for a challenge. It's a small one, and, for one who has not written Star Trek before, not terribly challenging.

Drabbles. My challenge to you is to write one or two speculation drabbles based on the new Star Trek movie trailer. What do you know? What do you suspect?

This is an easy one. Who's willing to try?

3. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I'd be willing to give it a go. When does it start?

4. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    It's no official thread challenge, so I'd say start now!

5. LordNyax113

LordNyax113 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 11, 2007
    Hi guys. Sorry I've neglected the thread somewhat.

The challenge idea is cool. We should try and make it official though. Let me see what I can do.

6. JEDI_KNIGHT_FRAZ

JEDI_KNIGHT_FRAZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2005
    Hey guys, been a while since I was here.

Sounds interesting, I'd give it a go but for two things...

1 - Whats a drabble?

and...

2 - I' didn't even know there was a new film coming out let alone seen the trailer lol.

7. LordNyax113

LordNyax113 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 11, 2007
    A drabble is a short piece of writing designed to reflect one scene or theme.

And yes, there's a new film. Just google "Star Trek film May 2009". You should get the trailer.

8. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi

Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2005
    More specifically, a drabble is a piece of exactly 100 words -- 99 is too few, and 101 is too many. The title doesn't count toward that, but it can't be over fifteen. Given that length, it's usually a one-scene vignette, but it can be more.

9. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    This thread really shouldn't be so dead.

Is there anything I can do?

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Count me in Brodiew... i'd love to join in any discussions... and i'd adore to know if there was an ST ff index. *melts already!*

11. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Well how about this for a discussion topic:

Which character stood out the most for you in Star Trek (2009)?

For me it was, strangely, Uhura. I was pleasantly surprised by how they brought her into the top echelon of Trek characters. Her relationship with Spock was a really cool twist.

What about you?

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    For me, Uhura stands out because i have always enjoyed her... i enjoyed reading ST novels where she had a starring role-- her sweetness, efficiency, and calmness under fire, and her exotic heritage always were cool to me. I also am intrigued and tantalized by the contrasting relationships--how the young kirk/Spock relate to each other versus the maturer seasoned ones--seeing how time, trust, and shared experiences shape and mold their interdependence-- [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

13. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I feel for me Captain Kirk stands out the most. He was never afraid to do the impossible. To take a leap of faith to get the job done. I always admired that. Lol.

14. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    I would say that Spock stood out the most for me. We get to see him actually display "emotions" in the movie. Love, anger, sadness and more were experienced by both Spock's. He had become "emotionally compromised" at the same time with both characters. Definitely unique and compelling.

15. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Oh, gosh. That's a tough one. It was great that Uhura finally had something to do :D and I loved her as a character, but since she wasn't very developed in the original series, I didn't have much to compare her to.

A young and immature Spock was great to see. But I think Kirk stood out the most, because I had to see how they were going to pull him off. He was perfect! He had all the awesomeness of original Kirk but enough recklessness to make is clear that he needs Spock to keep him in check.

16. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I agree, Ubersue. Kirk was a real question mark going into the film. Early reviews on Urban and Quinto were great, but I wasn't sure what to make of Kirk. He was a pleasant surprise who grew on me throughout the movie. In the end, he was my favorite, along with McCoy. As I stated above, I thought Uhura was a welcome addition to the top tier of characters.

While Sulu, Chekov, and Scotty are ok, they did not make a significant impact on me. Unfortunately, I found Sulu to the most mediocre of the entire crew.

17. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Yeah, Sulu kind of got screwed over in the talent department. Whereas everyone else was a genius of some sort, he was just really good at fencing. :p Better luck next movie, maybe?

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Ooh, is there gonna be more movies/books in this new trek timeline?

[face_ecstatic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]
    Yup, I'm glad [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

19. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    I'm sure there will be, eventually, Jade. But, I'm not sure how soon.

New discussion topic for those interested: Casting the TOS characters not yet seen in the new incarnation. Oh, there are plenty. Think of all the Stafleet guest stars, Gary Mitchell and Commodore Decker to name a couple, but the villains and the all the 'new life' out there? Harry Mudd, anyone?

I'll start with Christine Chapel. There is only one actress that comes to mind who seems just right for the new Christine I'm writing anyway. Her name is Emily Proctor from CSI: Miami. She's the first one who came to mind when I thought of the Chapel I wanted to write. She is a little old for the part, but her image still seems right to me. If you see pictures of her when she was on West Wing, you may get a better idea. This pic is not from West Wing, but tell me what you think.

Here she is.

What about you? Got any characters you'd like to see in the next film? Who do you see playing them?

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful topic brodie. :) I'd love to see some of Kirk's "old flames" [face_laugh] Carol Marcus or Areeel Shaw, up against Christine--not that I don't think Chris would win, but it'd be fun to have that kinda thing cement his commitment to her. :D And/or Chris's fiancee- if he's even been written in. :) :) And Spock/Nyota's wedding and honeymoon [face_laugh] [face_drooling!!!!) Some of these things would make great ff bunnies. :D

21. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Does Kirk ever get married in the originals? I know he has a kid . . .

22. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Nice one, Jade. I wonder what Carol Marcus would be like in the new timeline. It would make an interest dynamic for sure.

23. KithuraVess

KithuraVess Jedi Master star 4

Nov 19, 2008
    ....I have found the perfect thread. :eek: [face_dancing]

But that really sounds interesting. [face_thinking] I have been wondering what Khan would be like in the new Star Trek.

24. brodiew

Oct 11, 2005
    Hello. I've recently run into a challenge in writing Trek which does not plague me in writing Jedi and in the GFFA.

Inherent goodness of the Jedi. Here is where I am stuck. The new crew of the starship Enterprise is tinged with grief, sadness, and bit of misery. Misery loved company. But does it have to be that way?

When writing Jedi, specifically, there is a spirituality that accompanies them. It could be good or evil, but non the less, there is a spirituality.

In Star Trek(2009), there is no spirituality; no inherent goodness. I feel the goodness more in TOS, rather than the new incarnation. This new crew seems more selfish than selfless; though evidence to contrary does exist.

It?s not that I don?t like the new Trek. I do. But writing it is becoming increasingly hard because I?m stuck in a place where I?m not seeing the goodness in the characters.

What do you think?

25. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Without having seen anything but the new movie, I think they seem . . . well, human wouldn't be accuraet all the time :p Realistic. But not in a bad way.