Discussion [Star Trek] The Holodeck- A Star Trek Fan Fic Discussion Thread. Sequel discussion (spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by LordNyax113, Aug 11, 2008.

Moderators: Mira_Jade
  1. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    You are right when you say that the new crew is more selfish than selfless; but, without that selfishness where would the story really have gone?

Kirk without his selfishness, smugness, and gung-ho attitude would definitely be less of an interesting character. He needs his brashness as much as his compassion at the end.

It is more tempered during the beginning towards his brashness towards Starfleet, but by the end of the movie, I think he is beginning to realize that he cannot do "everything" by himself. He needs his crew as well.

Hopefully, they will expand on the crew's contributions more in the next movie, and not just settle on the main Kirk/Spock/McCoy trio. Scotty's role should definitely be expanded as well as Sulu, Chekov, and most definitely Uhuru's relationship with Spock.

The Vulcans as a race are very spiritual and it would be interesting to see if they expand on their spirituality. Hopefully, the destruction of Vulcan does not equal the destruction of their unique spirituality.

2. NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Do we have any info about a sequel?
  3. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    [link=http://trekmovie.com/2009/10/08/jj-abrams-talks-star-trek-sequel-shatner-nimoy-nick-meyer-more/]JJ Abrams Talks about next Star Trek movie[/link].

In the link above, Abrams talks about just beginning to get the story started. They are going for a 2011 release, plus it sounds like they want both older Kirk and Spock in it. Khan is also definitely a possibility.
  4. brodiew Jedi Master

star 5
    Thanks for the comments Nat and RX_Sith. I agree that part of Kirk's appeal is his selfish brashness. I also accept that this is a origin story and that this Kirk has not been in command as long as TOS Kirk had been. However, one of the things that sticks in my craw about this Kirk is his apparent lack of fealty to the Federation. Again, this is the beginning and I hope to see growth in these characters in subsequent films.
  5. NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I ccan understand that, though - TOS Kirk joined the Federation, following in his proud father's footsteps and had grown up with this man who was loyal and had served a long time. New Kirk grew up without a father because service to the Federation took George Kirk's life.
  6. Ubersue Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I agree. Kirk without loyalty to something other than himself is-- in my opinion-- just a Marty Stu. I didn't really notice that when I first saw the movie, though, because I was too distracted by the new Hot Spock.[face_love]

Mm. Hot Spock.=P~

Sorry, what were we talking about?
  7. violent-poetry Jedi Youngling

star 1
    i have been a fan of star trek since the original series came out, but the love has grown over the years. i must admit though that my first love is star wars of course, but having said that, me and then boyfriend once watched star trek voyager the whole series about 7 or so years worth in about 2 or so months, we even called our place star fleet academy and would have impromptu star trek marathon viewing parties that anyone was welcome to attend.

i would love to get into writing sci-fi related stuff, but i am in the research stage at present and trying to gather as much knowledge as possible about space battles and the like. i watch star trek every single day. midnight every day i have a date with captain picard and the rest of the crew of the enterprise. i have even gotten my sister to start watching and she is not a sci-fi person.

i love all incarnations of star trek, the whole franchise and my favorite character would have to be seven of nine and the borg are pretty awesome!

oh and i wish that i had a holodeck!
  8. NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Something I'm interested in is the concept of "bromance." I've seen it done very well in several stories with Kirk and Spock or Kirk and . I always get a kick out of the guys just hanging out and being guys - not necessarily discussing women or children or families, just having fun or goofing around, inasmuch as those characters do.

What does everyone think about the friendship between them, particularly in the new movie and in sequels along that universe? (I'm told that Kirk, Spock and McCoy were like the three musketeers in the original series, and I'm interested to see if their friendship will develop to that point here.)
  9. brodiew Jedi Master

star 5
    Good topic, Nat.

In the new film, the focus, as far as 'bromance', is between Kirk and Bones. Spock seems a late addition and one that, given the circumstances, would take long to warm up to either of the other two. Plus, he already got the girl. :p

I'm a huge fan of Kirk-Bones frienship. Kirk is less responsible than in TOS and Bones is even crankier. Makes for fun stuff.
  10. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    They definitely changed the triumvirate dynamic that TOS had concerning Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. In the film it is now just Kirk and McCoy with Spock as their main foil per se. It remains to be seen based now on Spock and Nyota's relationship whether or not Spock will become 'bromantic' like in TOS.

I personally think that it should keep the focus on Kirk and McCoy. Spock has been I think deliberately separated with his relationship with Nyota and I think that this is a good thing that will hopefully grow more in the next movie.
  11. NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I got vibes that Kirk and Spock could have a good relationship, but there was absolutely nothing between Spock and Bones. I'd definitely like to see that relationship develop further in the next one.

Even though he has Nyota, I think Spock can still be integrated into the guy group. I think it would be interesting to see how Nyota's relationship with Kirk changes if he and Spock get close.
  12. brodiew Jedi Master

star 5
    I'm with RX_Sith on this one. I think the focus should remain on Kirk and McCoy. Spock seemed almost out of place in an alredy estalished frienship. I'm not a huge fan.

Remember, we don't have a weekly series to watch these things play out. Given a film every 2 years, if we're lucky, the writers have a lot fo ground to cover.

We'll see.
  13. NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Would you guys be interested in all of us coming up with a specific challenge or something? Nothing formal, just something posted in here and then we can write.
  14. RX_Sith C&G Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    Sounds like a pretty good idea to me. What would this challenge be based on or about would be the main thing to figure out.
  15. NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Not sure - maybe some sort of bromance thing to go along with our current discussion?
  16. brodiew Jedi Master

star 5
    I'm always up for a challenge. :cool: Let the bromance begin!

However, I prefer some specifics, even if only a little.
  17. NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus

star 9
    What kind? I'm up for anything - specific words we have to use, specific characters, whatever.

And brodie, you do bromance so well, I'm not surprised :D
  18. brodiew Jedi Master

star 5
    Thanks, Nat. :)

I suggest we have the two of them do some kind of menial or mundane task together.

I wrote a drabble during my original Enterprising Drabble about Kirk insisting that Bones execize with him. I may have to expand on that idea.
  19. NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus

star 9
    That sounds good! Though I'd like to have an all three or pick two of three - I think Spock could join the guy club (especially since the three of them were tight in the OS).
  20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Force Ghost

star 7
    Or Spock, Sulu, and Jim go for a dip in the lake and their lady loves ogle them shamelessly and the female fangirls drool all over the place!! =P~ =P~ (into bucket!)

Jim has Chris, I've created an OC for Sulu, and we all know who's for Spock!!!!!!!!!!!!

[face_love]

21. brodiew Jedi Master

star 5
    Let the games begin! Here is the prologue of my new Trek 'bromance' challenge fic.

It's called [link=http://boards.theforce.net/non_star_wars_fan_fiction/b10808/31147939/p1/?0]Treadmill Blues[/link] and follows Bones and Kirk as the navigate perils fitness training and Starfleet regulations.

Enjoy!
  22. NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Sweet!! I'll go check it otu (and come up with one of my own 8-} ).
  23. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 5
    I finally had a free moment, and read through most of this thread - seriously, do you know how many evil plot bunnies you have inspired with just that alone? :oops:

And the challenge sounds great! Brodie, I am just thrilled to see you writing for Trek again. I mean, thrilled.

[:D]

EDIT: I was just rereading through the bromance discussion, and I found it fascinating. :p

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree that the focus for 'bromance' could easily go to Kirk and McCoy - in the reboot universe they already have that going strong. Even in TOS, Kirk and Bones were buddies before serving together on the Enterprise - familiarity breeds bromance. :p. But, I can easily see us playing with the others. [face_mischief]

In this reboot, Spock and Jim were hardly given the chance to settle down together (and lets not take that the wrong way, shall we? :p) Spock and Bones even less so. (Besides the classic bickering, there was nothing there.) But the movie really only covered a three day period(ish) it takes more time to develop something deeper than a whirlwind bromance, and since we aren't given a weekly series to see those relationships grow (as was mentioned! [face_love]) - as fanfiction writers we can easily stretch time and imagination to throw the other characters together. That's really the whole purpose of writing for some of us - we cover the missing scenes that profic can't or won't give us. ;)

That, and if in those scant few days that the reboot movie covered, their relationships can already grow that much, I think it logical to presume that they'd deepen rather quickly after that. Both Spock and Jim overcame some major hurdles - not only in events placed before them, but also in overcoming flaws with their own personalities. (They were both incredibly arrogant in different ways, and they're good for each other in overcoming that). They are maturing much quicker than their TOS counterparts - trial by fire does that to you. And since there was that trial by fire basis for a friendship, I can see them deepening and tying together their bromance even faster than the TOS. [face_thinking]

This movie just set up the trio ? it didn't cement their bonds, but it gave potential for that. :)

On that note, my muse is going Spock and Bones for the challenge . . . gah. Somebody stop me. :oops: More like an introduction to bromance, though. [face_laugh]

And, while tossing out ideas, I'd love to see a Scotty and Bones drinking fic - or Kirk giving Chekov pointers on picking up girls. Or, the worst one yet - we can have Spock and Bones most 'logically' comparing ex's (Spock had that nasty T'Pring chick, and Bones is obvious.) :p Although for that conversation there may be some outside influences from something that made them wonky on some planet - something in the air or in the food. :p I'd love to see Bones get all pouty when Spock goes back to normal. And be very scared with himself. [face_laugh]

Alrighty, no more coffee for the muse . . . [face_blush]

~MJ @};-
  24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Force Ghost

star 7
    Brodie!!!! I keep thinking of Bones ribbing Jim about Gaila during the Academy time in a bromancy fashion -- but then Gaila appears and sizzle happens and oops! It's a different kinda challenge [face_laugh]

[face_dancing]

25. Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master

star 4
    someone's back and its not just brodie!!!

Mira told me to check this out so i am and let me just oh the plot bunnies running through my head. I actually wanna do a bromance fic with Kirk/McCoy. I love the pair and oh the things I could do with dialogue and their bickering. I might even include Spock in there.

actually come to think of it what I want to do is expand on the ideas in my drabbles and do one shot or ficlets. My epic is coming along but thats really not bromance.

One of the drabbles I have coming up is a Scotty/Bones drinking.

and Spock/Bones...oh the things I could come up with. Be on the look out for some of these!!!

*smakcs muse* you need to calm down. We can't write everything at once. *muse argues back* sigh, we shall see
Moderators: Mira_Jade