main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion [Star Trek] The Holodeck- A Star Trek Fan Fic Discussion Thread. Sequel discussion (spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by LordNyax113, Aug 11, 2008.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Welcome to the thread, ladies!

We should all write something :D (My muse is getting into gear, now I just need to find some time . . . 8-} )

2. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    "For a Loop"

For your Spock and Bones bromance pleasure. [face_laugh] Erm, or it should be by the story's end, at any rate. ;)

Enjoy!

[:D]

~MJ @};-

3. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    NYCitygurl: Ha, my muse is hyperactive and she's demanding i listen and not pack. The time I found, yeah my muse took it away. I'm doing drabbles right now but there are a couple of ficlets that are demanding my attention. Along with my epic over on ff.net

and thanks for the welcome. We should like tag team something...co author an awesome fic! And we are all J/J ers too. hmmm...

Well the muse demands my attention... look out for the new ones soon!

4. Nienna_Narmolanya

Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Hello, everyone. :) I?ve been mostly a lurker on the Boards for the last couple of years thanks to my enormous workload at college [mutters under breath], but the wonderful Star Trek fics I?ve been reading on the NSWFF board have finally lured me out of hiding, and I thought I?d poke my head in here.

I can?t really remember a time when I didn?t know what Star Trek was. I was raised on Friday night re-runs of Next Generation and my dad?s TOS DVD?s. I also watched some of DS9 and Voyager when they aired, but I didn?t really get into DS9 until a few years ago when I realized the awesomeness I had missed, and now it's my favorite series. My favorite captain is a toss up between Picard and Sisko. Picard?s reserved philosophical nature will always hold a special place in my heart, but I also love Sisko?s passion and daring. I appreciate Janeway for her hands-on leadership style and the way she follows her heart when making command decisions, but too often those decisions turned out to be bad ones. I guess I shouldn?t hold it against her though, she?s only human. ;) In TOS, I could never stand Kirk (although I like him much better in ST 2009), but I absolutely love Spock. His inner struggle to reconcile his Vulcan and Human halves has created many a humorous or heart wrenching scene. I find him ?fascinating,? for lack of a better word. ;)

I?ve never written any Star Trek fan fiction, and I think I?m too nervous to try. I can?t wait to read what you all come up with for the Bromance challenge! The relationships between characters are what draw me to Star Trek, much more than the technobabble. :p

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I, like Nienna -- love Picard's coolness under fire -- anyone who can come back from being Borged =D= :cool:

And Spock - don't even get me started -- well, that's no biggie because I never stop!!

[face_laugh]

I started writing Trek soon after I started writing ff in general, now I cannot stop!!

Nyota -- she's -- indescribable and perfect for Spock!!!

[face_head_desk]

RX_Sith is dooing a retelling of the TOS episodes called To Boldly Go -- the one for Balance of Terror :cool:

Cool beans!!!

And an Sw/ST crossover where J/J and L/M and Kyp/Liz, Jim/Chris and Nyota/Spock get together for dinner and to swap stories about how silly/romantic their significant others can be at times ... ;)

6. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    MJ and Nienna - welcome to the thread and NSWFF!! :D

MJ - heck yeah I'm a J/J fan :D

Nienna - aww, you should tr out the challenge!! (I've never written a Trek fic either; this is going to be my first 8-} )

7. Nienna_Narmolanya

Jul 5, 2005
    Jade_eyes - I thought Uhura was awesome in the new movie, too...and perfect for Spock. ;) On the other hand, it's still throwing my brain for a loop that she actually has a first name. [face_hypnotized]

I have to admit, when I first saw the movie, I thought the Spock/Uhura romance was a little different, but I grew to love it. My dad came out of the theater muttering about how Spock was out of character and the romance subplot didn't jive with his character, but I think it does. The Spock that we see in Star Trek 2009 is not the cool, controlled, seasoned Vulcan science officer that was see in TOS. He's still learning how to reconcile his Vulcan and Human halves. I was thinking about this last week when I was reading the novelization of the movie (it was on the bargain books table! What is a girl to do?)... During the scene where Spock and Amanda are talking before Spock's meeting with the Vulcan Science Academy, Spock asks her whether she would be upset if he chose to perform the Vulcan rite to purge himself of all emotion. I wonder, given the events that followed, whether he ever got around to doing that. I mean, I guess not considering his "outburst" later in the movie. I just thought it was interesting. If he chose not to, what were his reasons? Were they entirely logical? [/tangent]

For anyone who has a problem with Spock/Uhura, I just remind them of the TOS episode where Spock loses his emotional control and starts romancing Uhura. I can't remember which episode it was now...maybe "The Naked Time"?

NYCitygurl - First I'd have to find my muse. She ran off to a sunny island somewhere a long time ago. But it would be fun to give it a whirl. 8-}

8. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004

Oh yes!! Spock and Nyota!! [face_love]

Past being a mush ball of a fangirl and jumping on that ship without blinking, looking back, or pausing :p, I have to admit that I was thrown by the relationship at first. I'll admit it, I wasn't a 'Trekkie' before the new movie, so much as I respected the franchise and knew the basics of the series. And I knew that the 'basics' didn't include Spock/Uhura.

And now, after watching the TOS episodes, I have to wonder just-why-not? [face_thinking]

The only thing that I can think of is that this new crew, and new Spock was forced to reconcile his humanity and Vulcanness a whole lot earlier than in TOS. He was young while he met Nyota ? that youth let him embark on a relationship, and the death of Amanda and Vulcan let him commit to it. [face_love]

In my humble opinion. :p

Oh, the Kohlinar ritual!! In TOS, didn't Spock leave at the end of the five year mission to partake in that ritual, seeing as how his logic was strained over his service in Starfleet? In this verse, I can see Spock planning on 'traveling the path to the highest form of logic' to make up for his human half. He was fully intending on joining the Vulcan Science Academy, rather than Starfleet upon having that conversation with Amanda. Perhaps, to work in that setting, he thought that completely purging his human half from his body would have been necessary? And then, when Starfleet was what he decided on, he decided not to partake in Kohlinar ? a ritual that Sarek didn't even completely fulfill. [face_thinking]

Even in TOS, Spock didn't fulfill the final steps of the ritual, believing that he had found an equilibrium with his emotions himself. :)

Amen! Amen! Amen!! [face_dancing]

Or ? the 'Vulcan has no Moon' conversation in ?The Man Trap?. The man was totally tugging on his collar when Uhura was obviously flirting [face_laugh] [face_love] . . . or the song in ?Charlie X?. Gah . . . the eye contact there. It's enough to make a girl ship Spock/Uhura even way back when. [face_mischief]

[face_love]

~MJ @};-

9. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Not sure that I have much to add, Nienna, due to my lackk of Spock/Uhura fics. Spock, from the new film, has not been a character I've gravitated toward. The strange thing is that I'm not sure why. I liked the character and Z Quinto but, when it comes to fan fic, Spock, I think, intimidates me. [face_blush]

I prefer the Kirk/Uhura nemesis relationship and the Kirk/Bones friendship. Sadly, the supporting crew like Sulu, Checkv, and Scotty go largely unused in my fics.

10. Nienna_Narmolanya

Jul 5, 2005
    Mira - I agree that his mother's death and the destruction of his homeworld forced Spock to make decisions that he normally would not have faced for many years, if at all. I guess you could say that he and Uhura never got together in the TOS universe because the events of the alternate timeline, that ultimately brought them together, never happened. Spock suffered some very deep and serious losses in the movie, and only Uhura seemed to be aware that he might be in need of comfort, despite his stoic facade. It also helped that Sarek encouraged Spock to follow where his emotions led him in dealing with his grief. I loved that scene. :)

I didn't know all that about the Kohlinar ritual. Did you read that somewhere? It's interesting that Sarek never completed the ritual. He's a well-respected Vulcan ambassador who seems to place great importance on tradition and the Vulcan way, and yet he has slight character quirks that don't seem to fit - for one, his human wife. I've always thought he was an interesting character for that reason.

brodiew - I think Spock would be intimidating to write because he's such a complicated and iconic character, and he's an alien. Most of the time we have no idea what's going on inside that pointy-eared head of his, and that's the point. :p

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I love this discussion!!!!!!!! :cool: =D=

Mira's points as to A. the cataclysmic loss of Amanda and Vulcan forcing a reconciling /melding of Spock's inner nature into a beautiful and balanced whole :D and b. meeting Nyota in a different context led to their relationship's being given fertile ground to blossom.

She gives him the place (and the permission) as Amanda did for Sarek to step out of the bounds of the strict Vulcan path with a cool and composed demeanor and a very proper Vulcan mate ;) because you know darn well Amanda was an adventure and 10 worlds of discovery but Sarek leapt in with both feet and he didn't have Spock's dual nature as a rationale.

[face_thinking]

Nyota is brilliant, beautiful, fun, compassionate and courageous in both times; but by the time they meet up in TOS, both of them are focused on their careers and Spock feels like whatever emotional issues if he even admits to them will be handled without the aid of anyone but persons who are close in a friendship type context.

Even his relationship with his father is brought into a gentler rapprochement by the events in ST 2009. :)

Spock never intimidated me -- writing wise. I just followed in Mira's amazing footsteps and loving Nyota as I do -- I wrote her extremely easily and writing Spock just fed naturally off of that. [face_love] [face_love]

I took to this pairing like a duck -- a very happy duck!!

Didn't need to get acclimated at all.

SQUEEEEEEE!!!!

I also like the 2009 Jim better for some reason. LOL

MJ1011 might be able to explain that; ;)

Somehow, even though I've loved Trek since 1981, :eek: I think I fell in love with it really and truly in 2009.

[face_dancing]

Duh!!

LOL

12. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Neinna -

The Star Trek Memory Alpha knows everything and is all wise. ;) Very useful for any question - including those about Kolinahr. Even way back when, it was always something that few Vulcans embarked on, for it eradicates every emotion from you. You're not just hiding them, or exercising logic as a control, but you are completely destroying them. ;) Obviously, Sarek wouldn't want that. [face_laugh] He's quite comfortable twisting logic to suit his own purposes. (Amanda, for one. [face_whistling])

Spock though, would have thought the ritual to give him a true place amongst Vulcans if he stayed. A kinda, I-did-something-that-you-don't-always-do-to-prove-how-Vulcan-I-am thing. :)

At least, those are one fangirl's opinions.

And amen to all of your points about Spock and Uhura. (And I diddo loving the Spock and Sarek scene. [face_love] I wanted to slap Sarek for saying that marrying Amanda was logical in that first scene - he messed the kid up there, without realizing it. (No matter how many happy 'Journey to Babel' memories the line brought. [face_laugh]) So I am glad Sarek made up for it. ;) )

I couln't have said it better myself!! [face_dancing]

[face_love]

~MJ @};-

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I get having trouble with some of the characters, especially the secondary, brodie. We just don't have that much about their personalities to go on.

14. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
    NYCitygurl: I actually think writing the secondary characters are a little easier because you have lee way in writing them. Spock may be intimidating but at the same time, he does have the human half that likes to come out every so often.

I was talking to someone the other day about the reboot and how I fell in love with the characters again. I think the reason why I like these characters so much is because there is so much background, so much history to go with. I think J.J made these characters real, the pain they felt something we can relate to. I think that's why I can write them so well because I know their pain.

As for Spock/Nyota, the more I watched the movie, the more I could see why these two are together. I think Nyota understands Spock on a level no one else really can, and therefore is somewhat like Amanda in where she understands Vulcans and caters to that. But also caters to Spock's human side. Because we all know that you can't hold emotions in, or else you'll burst. Case in point, the Kirk/Spock fight (which I have to say is one of my favorite parts of the movie.

I also think Sarek in this timeline is a whole lot different from the Sarek from TOS. Only because it seems that he now respects his son more than he did back then. Losing Amanda probably loosened him up in the aspect that he feels and has to tell his son to follow his heart.

As for the Kirk in this period...I love me some bad boys. But bad boys with a heart. This Kirk has such a different upbringing that Shatner's Kirk. He may be brash, impulsive but deep down inside, he's such a leader. He's calm in the face of danger, like space jumping to to the drill. His voice is level, poised but he has no qualms about jumping after Sulu to save him. I think the Kobuiyahi Maru ( i honestly have no idea how to spell it) meant something different to Pine's Kirk than it did Shatner's. I think this Kirk saw alot in his lifetime that made him believe there is no such thing as no win scenarios.

The reboot made me fall in love with the franchise again. I cannot wait for the sequel to come out. More hotness...[face_love]

15. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Very true. I just never know if I'm really doing them justice or if I'm basically writing OCs (I haven't seen TOS, so I have no experience with the characters outside the new movie).

Aaaaand . . . my attempt at the challenge :D Pain in the Neck

16. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Alrighty, this place needs a bump to the butt. ;)

How's everyone been doing lately? What Trek things are on the mind?

A New Topic:

Erm, how about the minor characters of Trek? We see the big guns from every rendition of Star Trek, and I know that brodiew just commented on how they go overlooked, and Nat commented on how they are hard to write because so many of them are underdeveloped. :)

So . . .

Who would be your favorite supporting character, and why?

And then, perhaps, a challenge-ish thing featureing a minor guy or gal or extraterestrial would be fun, as well. [face_thinking]

And I guess I'll start . . .

For me, one Christopher Pike would have to be my favorites. In both the reboot and the TOS.

He's snarky, he's smart; and he has done the impossible in kicking one James T. Kirk in the butt in more ways than one. ;) I appreciate his laid back reasonableness, and his pointed way of turning an argument. He's a levelheaded commander, and he's a great father-figure for Kirk. (And quite a few others ? he took Spock under his wing when the Vulcan entered Starfleet, it looks like. [face_love])

That, and Bruce Greenwood looks good in a uniform. [face_laugh]

That, and I love playing with Sarek/Amanda, but that is just me projecting my Spock/Uhura love at times. ('Journey to babel' for the win!!) [face_love]

Gaila too is a fun gal to mess with in fanfiction . . . [face_thinking]

For other eras, 7 of 9, and Beverly Crusher were always high on my gal!inspiration list. [face_love]

?. and yes, I know I said pick a favorite, but there I go. :oops:

[face_laugh]

So . . . who's next? :D

[face_devil]

~MJ @};-

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh]

I really enjoy Sulu and Chekov. Like I said, the new movie is my only experience with ST, but I thought that John Cho and Anton Yelchin both did fabulous jobs (and, I love them, but that's possibly besides the point :p ). Thte characters are funny and obviously have interesting personalities. I'd really like to see them get more screen time in the sequel (and page time in fanfic!).

And I'm all for a new challenge! :D

18. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
    Awww... Mira you read my mind!!!

My favorite supportive character to play around with is definitely Christopher Pike. I loved him in the movie and I love him in any fanfic. He is just that much fun! Snark, father figure and not afraid to tell you the truth.

I love Sulu and Chekov too. I haven't delved that much into them, but I have a feeling they could be enormously fun to write.

I am so up for a new challenge. Not that my muse needs another one! [face_laugh]

19. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Nat: Oh, Sulu and Chekov were lots of fun - and there is so many routes you can go to play with them. [face_love]

Master_Jay: How did I know that you would like Pike? ;) You know, you'd be perfect for a purely Pike centered viggie, I'm just saying. [face_whistling] ;)

And as for the challenge, did you guys want to have something specific to write about, or did you want a general, 'pick your favorite minor character and run crazy with it'? [face_thinking]

:D

~MJ @};-

20. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm okay wuth either :)

21. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
    A totally Pike centered viggie?

Mira you instigator! Now my muse wants that!!

I think we should do a challenge in the reboot era, based on one of the older episodes that were centered on the supporting characters.

Or wait... the character's backgrounds. We could have fun with that.

22. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004

Oh, you know you wanted to write the Pike centered viggie even before I mentioned it!! [face_laugh] ;)

And that is a great idea for the challenge, and yet it knocks out those who write for other Trek areas (I know you're out there, and blast it all if all of this Reboot/TOS stuff has taken over the thread! :p . . .)

So, fellow Trekkies, here is the challenge:

Write a general vig/short story/epic, featuring your favorite supporting character!

For those of you writing in the TOS/Reboot world, your challenge is to incorporate a classic moment with a new rendition of said minor character. [face_love]

Now, go forth and write!!!

[face_dancing]

~MJ @};-

23. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
    I have gone forth and started writing. Thank you for the prompts btw!

And yes Pike is one demanding man! [face_laugh]

24. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Totally off the previous topic, but I'm posting it here because I'm writing a TNG story for NaNo.

I'm writing an AU with Jack Crusher as an important character, and he's driving me nuts. I figured that since so little is established about him on the show that he'd be easy to make up, right?

Wrong!

He and Picard used to be best friends, presumably before Jack married Beverly. Jack was apparently close to Beverly's age, given the few contexts in which Jack has been shown. Now, since Picard was supposed to be 59 at the beginning of the first season, and Beverly was 40. Wesley was 15, so Beverly would have been 25 when he was born, and I suppose then that she and Jack married about two years before, when she was 23. Now let's say they dated for two years, which would mean they met when she was 21.

To establish Picard and Jack being friends for a short time before Jack met Beverly, that would mean that Jack would have been about twenty, and Picard 39.

It's easy enough to establish a 20 year old and 39 year old as buddies, but best friends? And it's not like Picard is so lacking in social skills that he would only be able to connect with very few people.

This Jack is going to have to be a pretty remarkable fellow.

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I've never heard of Jack, but I have heard of Wesley (Big Bang Theory FTW :D ). That's certainly a tricky one. Without having seen either Jack or Picard, I'd say . . . well, good luck :p You could try to spin it as more of a mentor/mentee bond, but I think you could go for it with them as best friends and see what happens. Is Jack a major player in your story?

And man, I need to get on that challenge! And so do the rest of you :p