main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion [Star Trek] The Holodeck- A Star Trek Fan Fic Discussion Thread. Sequel discussion (spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by LordNyax113, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    So on a fun note, I just saw they are coming out with Spock/Uhura potato heads.

The only reason why I was like that is totally awesome is because as a shipper, I saw the / and squealed.

[face_laugh]

Spock/Uhura potato heads

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Those are amazing :D

Having not watch TOS, I can't say for sure, but I think Kirk losing his father probably had a big impact. For TOS Kirk, his father is the great example who raised him AND was an officer. For 2009 Kirk, his father was a hero who he never knew, who couldn't instill the same things at an early age.

3. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Star Trek: Federation Series Proposal.

Apparently, there was serious discussions by Bryan Singer to make a series called Star Trek: Federation. While it was never pitched to CBS or Paramount, it does have some interesting details in regards to what happens within the Federation six centuries after Picard and company.

4. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I saw the story on this at trekmovie.com. Interesting, but it seemed a little heavy for my taste. The feel seemed more like that of DS9, rather thant TOS or TNG.

5. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    Thanks for the link, RX_Sith!

It looks like a great show, but it doesn't feel all that Star Trekky to me. Star Trek without a Utopia at least somewhere in the background to me misses the point of Star Trek. The idea that humanity can smarten up and use our intellect, technology, ingenuity, and heart to solve our social and environmental problems is-- at least to me-- what makes Star Trek special. There are plenty of other great shows out there that deal with humanity "progressing" technologically without solving our problems.

That said, I'd still watch the heck out of it. :D

What kind of series would you guys like to see?

6. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
    Well then I guess I'm just going to have to answer my own question. :p

It seems to me that there has always been a trade off going on. In TOS and TNG, Gene Roddenberry was in charge and his vision was for a utopian society that would give us hope for the future, and a focus on philosophy and science and social issues. Of course, it was hard on the writers because where do you find drama if everyone gets along? DS9 was much more focused on drama and conflict and a long story arc, and it worked well... but I don't have the same nostalgia for it as I do for those other two series.

I feel like most sci-fi today isn't as geeky as it used to be, and I miss that. :p I'm all for lots of drama and conflict and cool weapons and all that, but I miss the focus on ideas and "what ifs?" and all that other stuff that used to be the hallmark of science fiction.

I think I'm pretty happy with the new Star Trek movies being basically fun action space opera movies, but I would love a new series to be more thoughtful and geeky. I don't mind if that means we're just going to get another starship on a mission of exploration, I just want my Star Trek back! :p

7. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
    I do a lot of talking to myself here, don't I. [face_laugh]

I always figured that Voyager was widely considered the weakest of the Star Trek series, but I've met a lot of people who say it's their favourite. I'm mainly a TNG girl, myself. What's your favourite series, Trekkies/ers?

8. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    My favorite one is DS9, followed very closed by TNG, then TOS, then Voyager, and Enterprise last.

CBS to promote Star Trek Sequel at licensing show.

In two weeks the worlds licensing professionals will descend on Las Vegas to show off their brand and cut new merchandising deals. And CBS will be there to cut deal for the Star Trek sequel, currently schedule for June 29, 2012. CBS is so determined to push Star Trek that they bought the cover for the official License! Magazine.

More in the story above.

9. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    I loved Voyager.

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm excited for the next movie!! I just hope it's as good as the first; sequels rarely are.

11. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Kung Fu Panda 2 restored my faith in sequels. I have no doubt Star Trek 2 will be great, but there is a threat of a delay that may push it to 2013. The fact that they don't even have a script ready makes 2012 look very bad.

12. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
    I would rather see the next Star Trek movie delayed a year than have them use a weak script. Weak scripts fill me with nerd rage. :)

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I agree. I'm surprised to hear that they don't have one, though!

14. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Fully agreed.

15. Ubersue

Sep 1, 2008
    I looooooooove DS9. But it lacks Patrick Stewart, so it can't take top spot about TNG.

I find Voyager okay, but not great. But I'm kind of weird; I liked Kes more than Seven of Nine. I thought there was real potential in a character with a lifespan of less than ten years, and I think her aging and dying during the course of the series would have had interesting dramatic potential.

Seven was a good character, but her high heels and sultry voice always bothered me. Borg don't use their sexy voice! :p

Oh, and more on the next Star Trek movie, sort of:

J.J. Abrams definitely directing another Star Trek film next, probably

*Edit- Thanks, NYC!*

16. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
  17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Agreed!

Ubersue, I think with links you have to put text in between the coding.

18. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
  19. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    So I just become addicted to Star Trek:Voyager. I think it became my second favorite!

Oh the characters, the premise. EVERYTHING!

*sigh*

I blame Netflix.

20. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
  21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yay!! Cannot wait :D

22. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
  23. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
  24. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Woohoo, release date! I'm so excited, even though it's still a year and a half away :D

25. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    I can't wait.

They've finally started filming!