main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion [Star Trek] The Holodeck- A Star Trek Fan Fic Discussion Thread. Sequel discussion (spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by LordNyax113, Aug 11, 2008.

1. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Anyone have tickets to see Star Trek Into Darkness this coming week yet? (I don't and I will not see it until Friday).

2. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    I have tickets for the fan sneak peek tomorrow night in IMAX 3D. I am soooo excited for it!

3. mrjop2

mrjop2 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 6, 2007
    No, I want to see it this weekend. I did see, online, a 1 minute clip where John Harrison, in the brig, explains his actions to Kirk and Spock. Boy, he's no doubt going down as perhaps the greatest villain ever in Star Trek History. He is creepy, yet almost relate-able .

UPDATE:

Ah, I've confirmed the answer to the most asked question and rumored issue about this movie. That's all I'm going to say. No spoiling!

This movie is going to be AWESOME!

4. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
    I am waiting in the theater for Star Trek Into Darkness to start. Suffice to I'm excited!!!! I won't spoil anything but I'll come back and post about it! And I think the muse will like it!

5. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Gonna see it tomorrow in IMAX!

6. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
    Let's just say.... this movie is going to be seen many many many times in the theater. Because it is just that good. It's awesome, amazing, incredible. Everything I wanted was in this movie. But be prepared for the feels people. BE PREPARED!

7. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    I know it's going to be seen many many many times by me, alone!

What's "the feels" mean, anyway?

8. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
    Meaning feelings. Caring deeply about the characters like I do. Is it tomorrow yet so I can see it again? and where is Mira_Jade when you need her? :p

9. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Ah. Saw the movie... Very awesome, but did have some flaws. All I will say is that I didn't really like how J.J. handled or treated Bones.

10. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I'm so excited to see this! Remember to spoiler tag for a week or two, though, guys :)

11. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Master_Jaina1011, I second, third and fourth your feels!!!! A group of friends and I were all set to see the premiere at midnight, but thanks to DRL, we are bumping that to tomorrow. We are going to see Trek at the IMAX and hit the Motor City Comic Con in one day. I really can't think of a better day than that. :-B[face_dancing] :cool:

12. Master_Jaina1011

May 20, 2002
    I fully expect a PM when you see it Mira_Jade! Because I'm seeing again tonight! Already the muse is raring to go but I have Star Wars Weekends tomorrow. So maybe Monday and Tuesday I'll let her rip

13. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    I don't get it? Why is Star Trek 2 disappointing at the box office? This movie should have broken all records, and it's not even going to make $100 million with a 4 day weekend? It barely surpassed the first film. This movie is so much better than that. I guess the die-hard fans of the original series is avoiding this movie and is bigger than even I thought. This movie should have had the biggest opening of the year, but instead, this movie didn't even beat Iron Man 3, which was much more of a disappointment than this film.

It's doing respectable, but this series, at this rate, is not going to survive when a new director takes over for Star Trek 3. I hope I'm wrong, but unless this movie does better in the coming week, Star Trek 3 could be the last. Come on people, go see this movie! I've already done it twice, and once in IMAX, so you can't blame me for the disappointing weekend.

14. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    The main reason to me that it didn't break records is because it opened first overseas and everyone was spoiled about the
    "Khan" reveal, so most decided to avoid it after learning about the parts of the story that are getting hammered (like bringing Kirk back to life using Khan's blood).
    If they had opened it here first then it would have surpassed the first movie; now due to everyone knowing what already happens, some just simply skipped it due to them thinking it's a TWOK remake which it is only at the very end and even then they change things around a little bit.

15. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    <SPOILERS (I know the rules say 2 weeks spoiler tags needed. It's been two weeks in UK, but just to be safe... also, I'm in the U.S. anyway)>
    Probably right, but for me, hearing that it would be a remake would only have gotten me excited. Star Trek The Wrath of Kahn has been my favorite Star Trek Film to date (along with Star Trek The Voyage Home and Star Trek 2009. I still think it's the die hard TOS fans that heard about the twist and are boycotted the film. I thought this was the best Trek film ever. I think they got the Khan perfect this time. The first time, you really don't get to see his superior strength all that much or his superior intelligence. This time, we got to see it all.Everyone may know the actor who played the villain from the BBC series Sherlock, but I will always know him for his role in the move Amazing Grace.

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I spoiler tagged for you--it's two weeks from U.S. release.

The other thing with the box office is that when the first movie was released, it didn't have a lot of competition. The sequel was released way too close to Iron Man, which has a very similar target demographic, and Gatsby (which, also it has received mixed reviews, was still a kinda big deal). I don't think it's a mass boycott (though spoilers might have played into it); I think people were still seeing Iron Man.

17. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Heck, it took me a couple of days to see the movie, and I love this reboot series. I am a huge Marvel nerd, and I just saw Iron Man 3 until a couple days ago (and that film is a whole other set of feelings for me. :p [face_love]) People just need a moment to catch up, I hope. :)

That said, the film was everything and anything I could have possibly wanted. Just . . . my mouth was hanging down throughout half of the movie. And I don't think I am ever going to get over how
    they reversed Kirk and Spock's death. Spock's Khan scream ripped out my soul. [face_love][face_hypnotized]
    . I loved everyone's characterization's in this - Kirk and Spock both did a lot of growing as characters, and others like Scotty and Nyota were given times to shine. As always, McCoy's humor was spot on, and you wanted to pinch Chekov's cheeks. [face_love] I loved the hints about Sulu's
    future as a captain.

And BC was just drop dead amazing! He brought a savagery and intelligence that the old Khan really did lack. (For me, anyway)/ And I was blown away by his performance. Just amazing.

Now . . . when can I go see this movie again? [face_laugh]

NYCitygurl likes this.
  18. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    How do you do those Spoiler tags! When you said put spoiler tags I thought you meant <Spoiler>. How do you do those tags?

19. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    [spoiler} and then wrap it up at the end with [/spoiler}. Just make sure the } is a ]. ;)

20. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    Ah, I was using HTML tagging <>. LOL

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yeah, tags are odd 8-} I need to get around to redoing the index 8-} and I'll add the tag info to it.

22. RX_Sith

Mar 13, 2006
    So what do you think happens on their five year mission that they embark on at the end of the movie? Will the next movie interrupt their five year mission or be after it? Where do you want them to go during their five year mission? What problems should they face? Should Kirk and Carole become a couple? Should Spock and Nyota be married during that time period? Other questions?

23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Weeeell, they were supposed to be heading off on it at the end of the last movie, so ... :p I think it'll be in the middle somewhere. Kirk and Carol probably will become a couple, but I found her useless and irritating, so I wouldn't like it that much :p

24. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Perhaps it is because I am older, perhaps because there is some cynicism in me, but I am not as enamored of the film as the rest of you. I am not an original series boycotter. In fact, I was anticipating something much better than I received.

It is not that the film wasn’t good. I didn’t hate it. I just had problems with more than one element of the plot and characterizations.

First of all I found Khan to be more menacing in the trailers and TV spots than he was in the film. I loved hearing BC doing the voice overs and loved the ‘Shall we begin’ line. But Khan didn’t shoot up the Enterprise, there was no cat and mouse game with Kirk. As much as I didn’t want a remake, the elements changed in this film robbed it any impact.

As soon as they meet him, Khan becomes ‘the enemy of my enemy’. He and Kirk never really match wits. I think this is a terrible travesty.

The other villain in the film, righteous as he felt his actions were, was mined from years of Starfleet conspiracy episodes. There was nothing new under the sun.

Bones! Where were you? Oh, standing on the sidelines like a nickelodeon spitting out on- liners. Ouch. I love Karl Urban in this role and feel that his friendship with Kirk is much more genuine than that of Kirk and Spock. Am I the only one who feels that Paramount is trying to force the great friendship that was on two young characters that aren’t ready? TOS Kirk and Spock had 79 episodes and 6 films to foster their friendship. If I were to address the chemistry between Pine and Quinto, I’d say it is small compared to Pine and Urban who have much more relaxed, easy going camaraderie.

All that could be forgiven, if not for what came near the end of the film. Kirk's sacrifice was fine, even the homage of knocking Scotty out. When I saw the replay of Spock’s death scene in Wrath of Khan, I started to tense. I became more uncomfortable with every second because the scene was wrong on so many levels. These characters do not have the years of service and friendship to make the scene emotionally viable. Spock has little reason to cry, much less give the guttural declaration that William Shatner made famous. The film seems to want Kirk and Spock’s destined friendship to materialize by sheer force of will.

It does not.

I enjoyed that most of the supporting characters got a chance to shine. Sulu’s moment in the Captain’s chair and Uhura’s standoff with the Klingons stood out.

Scotty’s separation from the ship was fine in and of itself, but his undetected approach and boarding of a top secret Starfleet installation had me suspending my disbelief quite a bit.

The movie looked great and Abrams direction was fantastic. A favorite moment of mine was when the Enterprise drops silently through the cloud layer. I actually said ‘Wow’ at that visual. The film is visually stunning. There is no denying that.

It is the fact that this film relied to heavily on the Wrath of Khan and, though there is character growth, it is not to the extent that the film seems to want.

25. mrjop2

Jun 6, 2007
    The next movie will most likely be about the Klingon Wars. I like the romance between Spock and Uhura, but let's not have a wedding. The last time we had a wedding in Star Trek, the movie was horrible. As for Carol and Kirk, I don't think they should stray to far. Let them shack up so she can have her son David, and then break it off. I don't think Carol and Kirk ever got married. I think the only person he ever married was named Antonia (as revealed in Generations) but then again, the events of the last movie could have ended that from ever happening. Really, I don't think Kirk should ever settle down, that's not Kirk's style. He's a high-flying, playboy, bachelor and that's what makes him Kirk.