main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Trek: The Thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Zoom_Cthooga, Mar 3, 2008.

1. gundarkhunter

gundarkhunter Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 2, 2008
    We went and saw it again last night. Even better the second time around. K loved it!

2. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Mellisa and I saw it Saturday and both really liked it. While the red matter was a silly plot device, it generally worked, and the movie worked overall. I thought the characters were very well cast and played (all except for Nero, another completely forgettable bad guy). I absolutely loved Simon Pegg as Scotty. He had me rolling. So did Bones. [face_laugh]

I thought the space scenes were nice, and the battles good, but almost a little too fast. In past battles, it seemed more like a game of chess. Like there were realistic recharge times for phasers or reloads for the proton torpedoes. In this movie, it felt like I was watching Bay's Transformers --where they speed up the action so you can't quite see all of it.

Speaking of... and maybe it was just the theater I was at... but the scenes with old Spock --where they intentionally just a bit out of focus? I tried really looking at his eyes, and the detail just seemed soft, but only during those scenes. The rest of it was pretty much tack sharp.

The only other gripe I have is the over use of lens flare and lights streaming into the camera, blinding out detail. Bay did it a LOT in Transformers, and they followed that theme here --a LOT. I find it very distracting, because I'm trying to get a good look at the bridge or whatever, and I don't want to be blinded by that really annoying spotlight behind Urura (Or Spock's) head.

I think they did a great job of resetting the franchise, and setting up future movies, not fully restrained by any past events from TOS or the movies. I'm sure that the destruction of Vulcan and the rebuilding of the Vulcan culture & population is going to cause quite a few plot complications for future films to focus on. It should be an interesting ride. I'll definietly have to get this movie, and am already looking forward to the inevitable JJ Abrams Star Trek II: The Search for More Money.

3. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    This shirt is awesome!

[image=http://media.80stees.com/images/products/Star_Trek_Khaaaaaaaan-T.jpg]

4. gundarkhunter

Nov 2, 2008
    That is awesome.

KHAAAAAAAAN!!

5. ArchaicRebel

ArchaicRebel Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2004
  6. ArchaicRebel

May 11, 2004
    So my question is: If Nero ended up 125+ years in the past from his time and he ends up finding Spock and the Red Matter, why go on the vendetta against Vulcan and Spock when he could have just as easily saved Romulus in his own time by collapsing the very star that destroyed Romulus and sent him on his vendetta 125+ years before it destroys Romulus?

7. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Because he was angry. And no one likes Eric Bana when he gets angry.

8. Death_The_Destroyer

Death_The_Destroyer Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2009
  9. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Another reason this movie rocked --they used "Sabotage" by the Beastie Boys --excellent choice!!!!

10. Death_The_Destroyer

Death_The_Destroyer Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2009
    !!!!REDROCIRT SIH OT SKLAT ATAD NEHW SI YROTSIH KERT RATS NI TRAP ETIROVAF YM

11. LadyoftheMandalore

LadyoftheMandalore Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2007
    Seen it twice now, and the 2nd time got even more references to past episodes (notice the first guy to die on the away mission was the redshirt? lol)

OW - I think the softness was in part to your projector, and maybe an issue with the print. We were having issues with picture and sound being printed badly on one of our reels.

Overall: wow. Well done! I'm almost hoping for a sequel, but somehow I think it won't be forthcoming.

12. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002

ooh do not fear...they have already signed on for the sequel before the movie even came out. I will look for the article. :)

13. TheFettedOne

TheFettedOne Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2008
  14. ArchaicRebel

May 11, 2004
    I noticed right as I realized he was NOT coming back.

15. gundarkhunter

Nov 2, 2008
    PVP online from 12 May. Be sure to read the blog underneath.

16. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    Joe that was great. :)

17. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    Wil Weaton's Review of the Movie.

18. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    Ammerica has voted and here is who they would pick for their Star Trek Crew!

I like it..Of course I voted for them. Engage!

19. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    I liked it a lot. There were things I didn't like, but for the most part I really enjoyed the movie. It was Star Trek made fun.

What I didn't like:
    - Kirk's promotion was pretty ridiculous. Being step promoted FIVE grades? I have a very hard time swallowing this one. I realize this is Trek where people travel at ftl speeds, teleport, and sleep with alien chicks on a weekly basis...but the ranking system is based in our present reality...messing with that just kinda feels wrong. Someone being promoted from cadet to captain of the most prestigious ship in the fleet is just taking it way too far in my book.
    - The supernova thing made absolutely no sense whatsoever. I'm no physicist or astronomer, but even I know enough to know how absurd that situation was. They had to know how many nerds would be watching this film that know about this stuff and it seemed like they were just thinking "what could destroy the planet?" "Oh! A supernova!" "oh, yeah, lets do that, say a supernova is going to destroy the planet if spock doesn't stop it!" "well, wouldn't they have known like a few hundred thousand years in advance that a supernova was going to happen?" "shut up! the supernova is going to destroy the planet in minutes if spock doesn't stop it! that's our story!" You've got to realize you have an audience that won't just buy that...don't you?
    - What is red matter? Watching the film it was presented as something that was seen before, so I just assumed it was something Trekkies all knew about and I didn't. I like Trek, but have never been a Trekkie and there's a lot I don't know. So I asked some Trekkies. They didn't know either. wtf?
    -The alternate timeline deal. This one doesn't bug me as much after talking to a Trekkie and realizing how much it would have ruined his life if they had treated it as a cold reboot like with the Hulk and Batman movies. I, personally, not having anything invested in Trek, would have much rather seen everything just start fresh without it being explained why we're starting over. It's obvious why we're starting over, Trek has gotten stale and we want to breath new life into it and draw in a younger audience...so we can keep making money off of Trek. But, no, they had to appeal to the installed fanbase, and that makes sense. I don't know how I would react to a fresh reboot of Star Wars. So from an outsider's view, the alternate timeline thing seemed like a waste...but I do get the other view too, so it's not as big a deal to me.

Okay, the things we don't like always stand out more. But I did actually really like this movie. Things I liked:
    - The new characters. I like most of the new characters even more than their originals. They just seem more fun and interesting...surely a result of them being updated.
    - The casting. I really didn't know if I would like the casting, but I really really did. Pine did a fine job as a new Kirk. I actually really liked Quinto as Spock (he was one of the big question marks in my mind going in). Karl Urban was a big surprise to me, I expected him to be the worst of the choices, but he actually sucked much less than I have come to expect from him. Cho, Pegg, and Charlie Bartlett were all fantastic. Zoe Saldana is hot. Eric Bana was good, though his role was kind of brief.
    - The action. This is the type of action that's been missing from Trek. Action we're used to seeing in other types of sci-fi adventures. I like the geeky stuff too, but you've got to have some sweet space battles and fights in there somewhere to spice it up.
    - The humor. I'm not used to seeing this type of humor in a Trek film. JJ Abrams films, yeah, but not Trek films. I loved it. It brought Trek home for me and upped the fun even more.

20. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    I watched Star Trek last week on Thursday (The new X-Men the day before on Wednesday) and I think it was great. There was one thing I didn't like. It was the fact that Kirk somehow remembered a lightening storm when he was an infant? Unless he studied his father's death and the events therefore, I don't see how an infant can remember a lightening storm and thus save the ship from entering into a trap.

And with Star Trek opening came plenty of Star Wars bashing. Did any of the Trekies notice that LucasFilm helped make the film? Or did they miss the fact that George Lucas had a hand in making this Star Trek movie?

Oh yeah, try to bash that one! :cool: :p

Over all though, I liked the Star Trek movie and can't wait for another one. I think it was a good re-start for the Star Trek fans, since I myself like Star Trek and really like Star Trek Voyager.

I heard a rumor that they're going to make Star Trek Voyager the movie...is there any truth to this or is it just a rumor?

21. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    pretty sure that's just a rumor.

as for Kirk remembering the lightning storm thing, I don't think that was a direct memory from when he was a child, but information he found out about the incident later. I'm sure he probably studied up on the event and was told stories about it.

22. Doni

Doni Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2005
    In fact, there's a line of dialog during that scene where Kirk says to Pike, "I read your dissertation, sir." (Earlier, Pike told Kirk that he'd written his dissertation on the Kelvin and George Kirk.)

Speaking of George Kirk, rumor has it that actor is slated to play Thor.

23. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    well he is blond hair and blue eyed...

24. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    You know, I really liked this movie, but one thing has been bugging me. It's almost like the movie Space Camp (without the pre-existing characters)... or Muppet Babies.. you know, let's take an already existing group of mature adult characters, pretend that they all got together when they were kids and let them save the world/universe.

Despite that, it worked for me :D

25. nnaydolem

Nov 8, 2002
    saw it last nite on the IMAX last nite...it was amazing even a third time!!