Star Trek: The Thread

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Zoom_Cthooga, Mar 3, 2008.

Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. jthornto Force Ghost

star 4

Maybe they'll just use a big slingshot and fling it into space when it's done.

"Ready? Pull!"

It looks like a rockem-sockem thrill ride for sure. My only concern was the two quick cuts of Spock getting all medeivel/violent on people. What's up with that? Isn't he supposed to be logical and non-violent?

2. Mistress Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    From what I remember he did have a fairly violent youth...or I am remembering some other vulcan/human hybrid...? :confused:

And I loved that part of the trailer where he is laying the smack down on (looks like) Kirk...and its not a spoiler cuz its in the trailer. :p
  3. Mistress Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    btw, I can no longer find the new trailer online...what happened?
  4. nnaydolem Force Ghost

star 6

I am going to look for it right now...*insert mission impossible music*
  5. nnaydolem Force Ghost

star 6
    HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

last nite it was giving me fits. now it just won't work. this is the link i am using.
  6. nnaydolem Force Ghost

star 6
    maybe they pulled it realized the errors in the ship stuff and are reshooting it. ;)
  7. Mistress Jedi Grand Master

star 6

lol, unlikely...most likely they are just trying to mess with us. ;)
  8. nnaydolem Force Ghost

star 6

Shhh no they are fixing it so it is built in space dock. *snicker* i know these things.
  9. Jedi_Pilot Force Ghost

star 4
    Hmmm, that may be the case but I thought the whole point of having Leonard Nimoy play the future Spock was to establish that this is in the same timeline as everything else done in the last 40 years. As well as avoid that pesky BSG2003 thing of no, really, it's basically the same show even if it's 90% different.

Of course that may be the whole point at the end of the movie, we have a completely new timeline which can go forward with this crew and origin story, while leaving the original timeline for the Trek purists.
  10. Obi_Wannabe Force Ghost

star 5
    I don't think JJ Abrams is living under any rules like that, just because Leonard Nimoy is there as Spock in no way means all 40 years of continuity apply. I think other than Spock being a Vulcan, and looking similar to Leonard Nimoy, and James T. Kirk being a straight white guy, Abrams feels no requirement to be "accurate" to anything that has come before.

I think it's probably more like, it's basically the same show even if it 30% different.
  11. nnaydolem Force Ghost

star 6
    that will make me sad...there are things about trek i love...it is why it is star trek.
  12. Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA

star 6
    As only a very casual fan of the original series, I think I'm going to like this. I don't know enough about the continuity to care. But the visuals, and the casting are pretty good from what I can see. If they can make a good show of it, in a reimagined BSG sorta way, I'm game. Bring on more. Lots more. [face_devil]

If only because I get to enjoy it without caring about the differences, the nuances or any of that. And I get to enjoy watching the hard core trekkers freak out over every change.

Win-win, as far as I'm concerned. [face_mischief]

And those space battle scenes were very impressive. We definitely need more capital ship combat in movies.
  13. Mistress Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I would consider myself far more than a casual fan, but not a diehard...I was for a while but Enterprise kinda killed that for me...:p

That being said, just like LOTR I am not so hung up on mythology that I cannot enjoy a different interpretation. I have never been upset when a plot twist goes against something cannon or predetermined...that is, if it is otherwise believable and adds to the plot. The problem I do have with the Enterprise being assembled terrestrially does not come from my love of ST, but from my knowledge of science, and even though its possible (JP is da man) it does not seem plausible. Big space things are assembled in space. End of story. :)

so there. :p

did I mention yet today that i lurves me some star trek? [face_dancing]
  14. nnaydolem Force Ghost

star 6
    I love me a little Jean Luc Picard!

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/cattaman/300px-Picard1.jpg]
  15. Mistress Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    He is one secksay man! [face_love]
  16. RubberDuckTape Southern CO Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    [image=http://roflrazzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/celebrity-pictures-deforrest-kelley-leonard-nimoy-spock.jpg]
  17. gra-co_o_hun Force Ghost

star 5
  18. Jedi_Pilot Force Ghost

star 4

30% I could live with. ;)

My fear is that there will be just enough of the original Trek to make the changes that will be in the film(and justifiably so) so jarring that I will have a hard time accepting it for what it is. I had this problem with BSG2003 and it took me until the second season to really start to like it on it's own merits.

Obey Wann - This is downright sedate compared to some of the Trek sites out there. :D

Mistress - Enterprise did that for a lot of the fans. :(

I also have no problem with different takes on a story, I just wish they'd say that's what they are doing instead of trying to appease both the fans by saying this will respect continuity and the non-fans by saying it's a whole new Trek
  19. Mistress Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I just realized that I will be in Denver for this premiere...we should all go!

Remember 12/13/02?
  20. gra-co_o_hun Force Ghost

star 5
    I thought that was a cool trailer no doubt. I was having a discussion at work with one of the other monkeys and he, as I, are big fans of the original series, so to see the differences in story writing over the years as to how it all began is really awesome. Granted, it isn't Gene telling the story but I have had to live without his guidance of Star Trek for some time. very sad. great writer and human being. Anyways, I think this might be a good jump off point for new fans especially if they plan to make more and then there's no preconceived notions and getting hung up on the history unless you are die hard.

It might be the only way to continue the spirit of Star Trek and grow the masses again and I'm ok with that. I'm pretty die hard and know much of the series and I hope they don't stray too far from continuity but I won't be surprised either if they do.

I am looking forward to seeing this. Zachary looks great as Spock.
  21. SITH__CHICK RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 7
    No love for the Enterprise series :_| I loved that one, it had drama, plot, characters. I was sad to see it go, the other Trekkie stuff is too corny for me.

22. Jedi_Pilot Force Ghost

star 4
    I liked Enterprise, I just don't think they took it as far as they could have. I think so much more could have been done with the Vulcan/Andorian/Tellerite disputes they did a little with, instead of the standard Klingons, Romulans, Ferengi and such.
  23. RubberDuckTape Southern CO Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 5
    I tried to love Enterprise, especially since it had Scott Bakula (SP?), but it wasn't until they started showing it on sci-fi that I could get into it. I never liked DS-9 after they went to war. I like the exploration and new aliens aspect of the show, not the 'who's the tripple agent this week?' side.

:p
  24. nnaydolem Force Ghost

star 6

I am game...let's DO IT! how much fun :)
  25. SITH__CHICK RMFF CR

Chapter Rep
    star 7
    We so have to do it, big time! So what's the release date again? 2009? After Starfest?

Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby