main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Star Trek Tos] What If...If Only --First Sentence Challenge Response

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Title: What If . . . If Only ? First Sentence Challenge Response
    Author: Jade Eyes
    Characters: Christine Chapel, Uhura, Spock
    Disclaimer: Don?t own these characters, but love them like I do. LOL
    Summary: Uhura is attending a function for Spock?s inception into diplomatic service and explores the temporal twists relayed to her via the Guardian of a time and place where she & Spock had a loving relationship.
    A/N 1: This is in response to the First Sentence Challenge. The sentence was: "3: Once in a great while lips meet and two spirits merge for a time and the universe is right and complete and the planets wheel in their proper places -- For Us, The Living, Robert A. Heinlein." Squee!

A/N 2: Thanks to the absolutely amazing Mira_Jade who has permanently melted me for times everlasting with her L&M and now Spock/Nyota. Her input was totally essential in making this even more scrumptious.

Mega huggles!

I was standing at the bar in the Astoria?s Grand ballroom drinking a piña colada when Christine Chapel hailed me. I waved her over with a smile. She looked smashing in a teal evening gown. Her earrings were delicate gold shaped like leaves. I myself was wearing a black backless dress with beading that was shaped like roses. She came over and gave me a happy hug hello. She ordered a Brandy Alexander.

That day, I?d just finished going over the declassified files on the Guardian and was inwardly debating whether I should add the very personal observations I?d recorded while we were at the portal, while waiting anxiously for Dr. McCoy?s return. I figured it wasn?t necessary to divulge such things officially.

?Well, it?s sure been a while,? Christine said, ?Sending letters and speaking by vidphone just isn?t the same.?

?I know,? I replied regretfully, ?but everyone we served with is so ? scattered to the four winds. But I wouldn?t have missed this particular occasion for the world,? I beamed. ?Spock?s Ambassadorial send-off, mixed with the New Year?s celebration? It's perfect.?

?I wouldn?t have missed it either,? she said. ?I took the first transport from Capella IV just to be here on time!?

I gave her a wink. She?d had a crush on Spock for so long? quite overtly, as it happened. It was easy to understand, for many of his colleagues on and off the Enterprise seemed to find it ridiculously easy to fall under his inexplicable spell.

Which brought me back to my Guardian observations . . .

In its depths, I?d seen both a possible future and past where Spock and I had forged a loving relationship at the inception of the Enterprise?s five-year mission. I?d be lying big enough to have my nose stretch across the English Channel if I denied that I hadn?t noticed how attractive he could be. During our service together, I had never failed to marvel at his amazing intelligence, his hard-won loyalty, and genuine friendship, and, of course, his flashes of ?intuition? and humor. When he came back from particularly harrowing missions, I had always felt relief and gladness, but no more than I would for any other crew mate.

However . . . those observations across time and space had made me wonder ? what if? And not unpleasantly either.

I toyed with the idea of confiding in Christine. Would she laugh at me? I felt she?d understand.

Chris gave me a warm look. She said softly: ?I know it would have been challenging to start something, but sometimes, quite often back then, I wondered about it and wished I?d had the courage to at least venture into a dating relationship.?

We got through the speeches in a hurry, thank goodness. Then the festivities went into full swing.

I mingled and finally wound up giving Spock my congratulations when I noticed it was nearly midnight.

I told him cursorily of the Guardian files.
    ?It was quite shocking, but not unpleasantly so, for me to find that we?d initiated a dating relationship at the start of the Enterprise?s five year mission, even with all the other adjustments to a new assignment, etc., it seemed to be quite fulfilling

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Aww, cute!! I love Nyota seeing what it would be like.

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Aww! Great job!

4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Alright, I can sum this whole fic up in one word:

Delicious! [face_love]

The whole thing was wonderful, soft and kinda wistful. Nonstalgic, almost. But the wistfulness paid off in the end, most beautifully again.

For once in a great while lips meet and two spirits merge for a time and the universe is right and complete and the planets wheel in their proper places. We were both startled by how *good* it felt. There was a flash of surprise in his dark eyes, but then a hint of a smile crossed his features.

That was one of the most perfect paragraphs I have ever read. Seriously. That. Good.

Thanks for such a wonderful read!! [:D]

~MJ @};-

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Nat and Miana -- thanks for stopping by and your kind words. :) They mean a LOT!

Mira -- thank you!!!! that sentence just screamed Spock and Nyota. [face_laugh] Thanks for all your splentab input. This fic is as dear to me as my debut Two Dances Across Time, and just as Squgglicious!

:D
    :D
    [face_really really stoked]

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I'm a little late getting here, but...

This was wonderful!

For once in a great while lips meet and two spirits merge for a time and the universe is right and complete and the planets wheel in their proper places. We were both startled by how *good* it felt. There was a flash of surprise in his dark eyes, but then a hint of a smile crossed his features.

Beautiful! =D=

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi Vadey -- thank you. :* :* They are wonderful, aren't they? [face_very rhetorical] [face_laugh]

Huggles!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.